• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Must there be lightsabers?

• Yes

Votes: 106 38.0%
  • No

Votes: 173 62.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A Star Wars story without any lightsabers is fine, the Star Wars universe without any lightsabers is not.

In what way would this be Star Wars? That's just another IP.
yeah, basically where I'd stand on the issue. Like if you strip away every iconic aspect of the franchise, then you're basically just attaching the brand name to something completely unrelated.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt they would ever do that in a mainline movie, but I'm more than welcome to no lightsabers.

I don't think one appeared so far in Mandalorian and it didn't even matter.

PS: I hate when polls are the opposite of the thread's name, grinds my gears.

you can pretty much assume a number of people answered based on the thread name, effectively rendering the poll results erroneous.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
I'm okay with stories not centering on Jedi/Sith, but keep it in the Galaxy we know, or at least if you leave the Galaxy have a damn good reason that still connects it to the core of the series

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe that well-defined scope is part of the secret to its success.
Fair enough. I'll instead say "it's way too narrow for my liking or general interest."

I'm not a Star Wars fan, partly because the narrow things it focuses on don't interest me. I don't know if it ever could interest me by expanding, but it definitely won't by staying where it is. I'm not saying they should change to suit my needs or interests, just that I personally would want to see other things in that universe.

And less Skywalkers.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
it does not. Warhammer 40k is cool but it's like the opposite of the heart of Star Wars.

I completely disagree. The Mandalorian and Rogue One are the only times Star Wars live action has reached beyond the vader/luke/emperor wank fest and they're the best things in the SW universe IMO. More stuff like that. Lots more stuff and go even further. The world is there and I want to see more of the fringes.

Oct 31, 2017
If you take away lightsabers and the force from Star Wars, you might as well be watching any sci-fi series because everything else is easily replicated.

Rouge One and Solo are great sleep aids, forgettable movies; but that's not because of the lack of lightsabers, to be honest.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Lightsabers were just at the end of Rogue One and it's my favorite movie of the modern era even without it, so absolutely.

In fact, I'm burned out of the whole Jedi concept anyways.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, there's an entire era of amazing Star Wars games that had zero lightsabers at all.

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to see a movie based on the founding of the Jedi/Sith. I've never personally been that much into Starwars but the Jedi/Sith stuff has always been the most interesting themes to me.

Oct 27, 2017
Currently digging the hell out the Mandalorian so...I guess so?

Having said that, lightsabers are fucking rad, so I wouldn't want them totally removed.

canseesea

Oct 25, 2017
"Rogue One only had lightsabers in the only scene anybody remembers from that movie" and "Well Solo did fine without them!" aren't exactly the best endorsement for a lightsaberless future.

The poll was also ruined by the thread title asking the opposite question of the poll itself

Oct 25, 2017
star wars is lightsabers and it is the force
it has some elements that work without it but in general i prefer my lightsabers and jedi

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
It's a flawed thought construct, when you get something with the name Star Wars on it, even if it has no Jedis and lightsabers in it, the history is always in your head and you know what really is behind the name. It's playing pretend in this case, there is always a reminder of what made Star Wars "Star Wars" even without lightsabers. The big meme with the Mandalorian (who looks like Boba Fett) is a Yoda toddler for christ sake. You can be sure that they will always bring these things into it because without them it is just generic sci fi crap.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. Imagine if there are no light sabres for like 3 star wars movies, then in the last one of that trilogy/series, they introduce it................... The hype would be cool

oh ffs the poll/title is fucked

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Star wars without lightsabers is fine, but I want to focus on this part of the OP.

With the Skywalker saga coming to an end, the future movies could be set anywhere. Suppose it's in another galaxy, where Jedi, Sith, and their lightsabers aren't a thing. Would that be acceptable to you?

Big nope to the highlighted part. How is it even Star Wars if it's not in The Galaxy Far Far Away (GFFA)?

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
The lightsaber is one of the most iconic if not THE most iconic weapon in film history and it's just plain cool. A non-Jedi story is fine without them, but I certainly wouldn't want it to become a common thing in Star Wars.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I accepted rogue one. I really liked it. So yes, easily. However do I still want star wars with force users/lightsabers? Yes

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't need the force either.

The SW universe needs to take some notes from Warhammer 40k and branch out. Like, way the fuck out.
I agree with the idea of branching out and telling stories far more expansive. My biggest complaint is they shrunk the universe with the latest films. Diminished what came before it. Star wars has a very large universe with many happenings. Sadly well never see something that isn't very much "safe". Mandalorian is probably on the edge of their comfort zone.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some of the best Star Wars features no light sabers or Jedi/Sith. The series is at its peak when it's exploring the numerous worlds and its inhabitants, conflicts, politics, and relationships. The over-the-top fights and Force use is just a bonus.

And I don't include The Mandalorian show when I say the above because I think that show is squandering it all - in other words, it sucks. But Baby Yoda is cute, so there's that I guess.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Star Wars is more than just lightsabers and the millenium falcon. The space wizards are fun and can add to the fantasy, but not necessary.

Hound

Jul 6, 2019
Yes. Lightsabers and more specially the force are a bit stupid, and should be used very sparingly throughout the movies/TV shows. Plus in the context of the original movies, Jedi are supposed to be extremely rare in the galaxy, so it's not fun to have them pop up so prominently in every piece of media.

The best new era Star Wars movies/TV shows already use lightsabers or the force in very limited circumstances or not at all (Mandalorian, Rogue One, Solo).

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I think Star Wars lore isn't rich enough to carry itself the way Star Trek, Warhammer, and so on can. That's why they have to have the Force and lightsabers as the cherry on top to make up for it. You can't spam them gratuitously because that would just be lame, but lightsabers are one of the few defining traits about the series. If you drop them entirely, you'll need to create a bunch of lore to fill in for their absence.

Some of the better Star Wars book writers were clearly aware that the lore of the series is lacking. The X-Wing and Timothy Zahn books both played fairly light with lightsabers, but made sure to write in a lot of interesting world building and side plots so that their stories didn't need to lean on Jedi and lightsabers to be entertaining.

RoninZ

Oct 27, 2017
I think it works without the force stuff as time moves on. Scoundrels, Bounty Hunting, Space fighting, is just part of the larger world of SW that can be explored more in movies

jimtothehum

Mar 23, 2018
Side Star Wars stuff can be without Lightsabers and I guess a main movie could as well, but I think all core Star Wars movies should include a character strong with the force.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
I'd accept it, but it wouldn't be as cool as having at least one person with a lightsaber. Because lightsabers are just fucking cool, blasters will never be able to capture that for me.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I agree with the idea of branching out and telling stories far more expansive. My biggest complaint is they shrunk the universe with the latest films. Diminished what came before it. Star wars has a very large universe with many happenings. Sadly well never see something that isn't very much "safe". Mandalorian is probably on the edge of their comfort zone.

I'm hoping that the positive reaction will encourage them to reach further, much like what has happened with the MCU. Audiences are giving them the go ahead to go off the beaten path.

Oct 27, 2017

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
100%

In fact, I have a lower chance of accepting Star Wars WITH lightsabers. They're boring and overdone and were never cool to me. Except Kylo Ren's.

Let the past die! Bury it if you have to!