• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Sony can certainly try with Japan Studio, they have enough exposure to the Souls formula whereby they should be able to make sequels on their own, I'm open to giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't complain about it existing, but I'd have absolutely no interest in playing it. At least no inherent interest, if the trailers and gameplay demos look great, sure, I'll give it a shot. But the fact that it carries the same name means nothing to me.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Plenty of games have done the Souls formula well so I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Do bears shit in the woods? I know I wouldn't be mad but I definitely would be turned off of it.

Automagical

Jun 27, 2020
I do agree using Bluepoint to lay the technical ground work for a souls engine, then getting creative input from Studio Japan would be a good blueprint towards a future souls game that doesn't include FROM.

The biggest indicator will be If the Demon Souls Remake includes the 6th missing zone from original, and how well received it end up being if so.

i would recommend leaving the blood borne IP as is though, perhaps at some point FROM would want to return there for a proper sequel. but i would wecolme an attempt at Demons Souls 2, or even a new IP

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Was making a thread about this but see we already had one. Here was my post

====================

Right now Bluepoint Games is being tasked with a big undertaking of Remaking/Remastering (Not sure what the extent is) Demon's Souls. Despite the games smaller origins, the expectations on this title are very large due to the legacy From Software has built with their entire catalog of "Souls" titles. While they aren't working alone on the matter they're by far the largest work force on this ambitious project.

With that out of the way, the amount of work they'll be putting into this would likely have them well versed in some of the more nuanced inner workings of "Souls" titles. So much so that the knowledge gained could be applied to Bloodborne 2. While I know most would never want to see anyone but From Software work on a sequel, I think these things should be taken into consideration
  • Sony owns the IP
  • From Software continues to grow in Popularity/Reception
  • Elden Ring & other IPs they own themselves could take priority
Definitely not impossible for Sony/From to work an exclusivity deal for BB2 (Sony loves the IP & I suspect we see a BB2 at some point). But if they're not wanting to wait on From to get around to it. The current work Bluepoint is doing on DS could be seen as Sony laying down a potential foundation for BP to take over the BB series so the potential of another studio taking the flag from From is (Though i'd imagine they'd still likely advise on the title).

Bloodborne 2 is pretty inevitable, but I think letting Bluepoint carry on Demon's Souls (if they want to) after remaking the first game would be the best route. If they, hypothetically, blew a Demon's Souls 2 out of the water, they would be well equipped to take over Bloodborne at that point if From isn't interested.

I love From Software games a lot, especially for the world and atmosphere, but I don't think what they do isn't repeatable. It absolutely is, just need to find the right team for it.

I think my ideal scenario is that Bluepoint rolls with Demon's Souls 2 at some point after knocking the remake of 1 out of the water. They also, after proving themselves, work in collaboration with From Software (kind of a reverse situation of what happened with Demon's and Bloodborne) on Bloodborne 2. I'd also include Japan Studio in the mix for all of those games as well, they seem to know how to push From that little bit extra that makes the Sony published Soulsborne games more atmospheric since anything else they've done.

I think that situation could be seen as an all around win and would put a development team on Bloodborne 2 that would compensate for From's technical deficiencies, something they've always struggled with.

So yes, I think Bloodborne 2 is inevitable and I think Demon's souls 2 will happen at some point too. I'm cool with both of those.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be cool with it as long as FROM was offered the opportunity but decided they wanted to do work on something else. Would be ideal if they would still consult on it.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but not from me. Just means From is free to do something else of their own!

Bonus if they turn out good anyway!

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I guess it'd be better than no Bloodborne 2 at all. But if there's even a slim chance From would do it in the future, wait for them.

Jamaro

Oct 27, 2017
I'm with those who'd rather not have BB2 happen only because it would close the possibility of From doing it. If this was in a world where there would be zero chance of From/Miyazaki involvement in a sequel then I guess I wouldn't oppose it, but I would have doubts about it recapturing the magic, no matter who did it.

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
People are complaining about the grass on Demons souls remake.

This is the hardest I've laughed in a week.

But yeah, no, no they definitely could not. I would also probably not have much of an interest without the same development team behind it. Same with how I'm wary of any additional content added tot eh DsS remake. But if that turns out well I would be happy to change my tune.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Japan Studio working with Bluepoint on Demon's Souls is laying the groundwork for them to go full steam ahead with the Bloodborne sequel & that makes me incredibly excited.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Nothing wrong with Sony wanting to make a Souls-style game internally but leave new Bloodborne and Demon's Souls to From.

Jingo

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I rather them not exist because I don't see a reason for a sequel, really. I'd love to play more Bloodborne, but I think it's good enough for what already exists. I want more IPs made by From Software.
I agree with the From involvment, i dont agree at all with not seeing reasons for sequels.
Want one? Bloodborne was freakin good and i can only imagine what new ideas on a sequel would do to improve it

Can you imagine uncharted without his sequels?
Dark souls?
Street fighter 1?
Sonic 1?

You get the point.

Rook

Oct 30, 2017
It's possible to have a different studio take on a beloved franchise and do an excellent job with it, if they're given the right kind of coaching and information sharing. Look at Metroid Prime, for instance.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Not from me. I need a sequel, dammit. I think that, with care, they could make a game that was at least good. That said, I don't think they would capture the magic of the OG.

I'm currently on my 7th new character, this time 99 Arcane. So damn fun, man. This fucking game. I think that once the credits roll on the DLC/Orphan with this toon, I'll roll another Bloodtinge/Skill build and co-op with my bro. 500 hours and counting, probably my GotG.

Ideally, they'd make another collab with From and Japan Studio... Maybe after they're done with Elden Ring (please, god). Or make "Blood Souls" like they did from Demon's to Dark, so I can get it on PC lmao

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with the From involvment, i dont agree at all with not seeing reasons for sequels.
Want one? Bloodborne was freakin good and i can only imagine what new ideas on a sequel would do to improve it

Can you imagine uncharted without his sequels?
Dark souls?
Street fighter 1?
Sonic 1?

You get the point.
The best Dark Souls sequel is Bloodborne, though. From is at their best creating new IPs while revisiting design pillars. They absolutely do make stellar sequels, it's just that they're all technically new IPs. When they make another game in the same IP, it's never as good as the new ones.

At least in my opinion.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nah they're not going to get anywhere near the quality of Bloodborne on the first try, and I'd prefer if any iterative attempts to develop a good From-style game be away from an IP as beloved as Bloodborne.

Do an Arkham Origins - a mediocre game by a different studio, but clearly indicated as a prequel/spin-off.

Maple-Rebel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 15, 2018
Japan Studio working with Bluepoint on Demon's Souls is laying the groundwork for them to go full steam ahead with the Bloodborne sequel & that makes me incredibly excited.
Agree. Miyazaki clearly doesn't want to do a sequel, but there is nothing stopping Sony from making a spiritual successor to Bloodborne.

I think the challenge is that expectations will be sky high and there's a real risk that people will over hype and disappoint themselves. Bloodborne is my favorite PS4 game, but it has flaws. A lot of these are forgotten or forgiven by fans intoxicated by nostalgia.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
Bloodborne and Demon's Souls are both single games. I just don't see the point trying to force them into a series without the original developers. Getting new people on board to continue legacy IPs can make sense but why does Bloodborne need a second game by someone other than FROM? Especially when you could make a new soulsborn-type IP set in a cosmic horror setting without the baggage Bloodborne would have? I'm also skeptical as to whether a Bloodborne 2 could even reach the sales of the first game when trophy data suggests many people dropped off early. Which suggests to me is people bought into the hype but then discovered the game itself is the complete opposite of an accessible AAA title they're used to from Sony.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
This is the gaming industry. It's guaranteed an announcement like that would cause an outcry, whether it's warranted or not.

As a huge fan of Bloodborne and Demon's Souls, I'd be elated if there were sequels to them in development. Is From Software's involvement preferred? Sure, I guess. Is From Software's involvement required? Nah, I don't think so. There are thousands of talented developers out there, and I'm sure there's a team that could produce worthy follow ups to both IPs.

Bloodborne might just be my favorite game of the generation, so expectations for a sequel would be high for me, but I wouldn't expect it to capture that same feeling of when I played BB for the first time, and I don't expect it to. But another trip to that world would hopefully be put in the hands of a developer that has an eye for environmental storytelling and sharp level design. The core combat mechanics aren't really in need of a reinvention, just further iteration and polish. Don't fix what ain't broke.

Last edited:

unapersson

Oct 27, 2017
It's not as if From hasn't picked up and continued another developer's IP before, I'm thinking when they took over Tenchu from Acquire. So don't see a big issue as long as the quality is there.