• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know - on one hand, it could be interesting to see what a new team could do with it, but on the other, I really wouldn't want a sequel that goes against whatever vision Miyazaki and his team would have for it.

Apr 3, 2020
What actually role of Japan Studio had with Bloodbrone and now with Demon's Souls??

Afaik, BB doesn't even credits them in design and art department, only licensing, marketing (publisher duties)

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
From Software or bust for new games. Also we dont need sequels to either of those as a sidenote.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Sony owns the IP. They can do whatever they want. Too many people are hung on Miyazaki when it's not like he makes these games single-handedly and the game he didn't have much input on, Dark Souls 2, is the best in the series. People really need to stop getting attached to one person in these studios when there are hundreds of people that make these games come to life.

i'm sorry what

Look, we can talk all day about how much Miyazaki specifically matters but the point is that the level of atmosphere, background detail, and lore is something that ONLY From has ever managed to pull off. Every other Soulslike game has failed to recapture that magic.

It's very clear that From Software has a grasp on the form that other developers do not.

What actually role of Japan Studio had with Bloodbrone and now with Demon's Souls??

Afaik, BB doesn't even credits them in design and art department, only licensing, marketing (publisher duties)

Japan Studio worked as a technical and production support team on both From collaborations. They were not actively engaged in development or design.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People like the series is sacred and only From should touch it.

Get over yourselves people, Japan Studio worked on Demons and Bloodborne as well.

Let them make them, it's Sony's IP, not From's.

Chemo

Oct 28, 2017
This is a ridiculous question... there was outcry about Dark Souls II, and many people still act like it isn't up to par with the ones Miyazaki was the lead on. A sequel to Demon's Souls or Bloodborne without From Software in charge of it would be a fan backlash nightmare.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bloodborne 2 isn't happening without FromSoft. Sony knows that without FromSoft being involved in developing a new Bloodborne, there would be no hype. Bluepoint is simply remaking the same Demon's Souls and updating the visuals.

Here's hoping Demon's Souls doesn't have an easy mode.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
At that point why not just make it a new IP but based on Bloodborne/Demons souls? Take the best parts of each and combine some of their own ideas and see where it goes. People have lost their minds over great looking third person 30 fps games all generation so keep the ball rolling.

xem

Oct 31, 2017
Bloodborne first needs a ps5 patch before a sequel. I dont think id want a BB2 w/o their involvement because i cant see how combat would be the same, but who knows

Oct 25, 2017
I would understand more with Bloodborne since it's not that old but I think with Demon's souls if they want it to be their exclusive Souls game going forward just do it, I wouldn't care. From is never going to make a sequel they already made 3.

It would be great if they got some kind of guidance or high level treatment or maybe just a blessing from Miyazaki.

That said as a casual fan of these games some are far too precious with From as a developer. We saw it a lot with the Shadow Remake too. Everything about the original Demon's Souls was apparently by design and had nothing to do with technical limitations, the slightest change can be met with push back it's dumb.

Last edited:

mrbogus

Jul 14, 2019
Some game and movie sequels have been successful without their original creators behind the helm, but its not very common.

Sony would have to bring some big names in to try to ease Bloodborne fan fears and then hope the product comes out right.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There would be a backlash for sure, From has some really ravenous die hard fans.
But Bloodborne is a Sony ip, and I absolutely love the world and lore so I say if From can't won't, then they should go ahead and do more titles, and I will judge the game on its own merits.

Personally I see many possible developments possible, ideally either in the far past (Pthumeru?) or the distant future ala DeadSpace/ WH40K, but I'll take anything.

Apr 3, 2020
Japan Studio worked as a technical and production support team on both From collaborations. They were not actively engaged in development or design.

Yeah, I've always found it weird when people credit them as co-developer, they literary acting as publisher just like Activision and Bandai Namco.

Although, I've faith in JP studio more than Bluepoint to do a sequel for BB.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah there would be huge outcry. Then a lot of people wasting crow/their own hats when the game turned out to be great.

People underestimate the amount of involvement Sony Japan has in the development of Demon Souls/Bloodborne.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
I hope they make Bloodborne 2 or Demon's Souls 2 just to get people to stop begging for sequels to those games. But I'm sure they'd be terrible. Bluepoint's strength is in making things pretty, that's it.

And yet people act like Japan Studio made half of the game.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah there would be huge outcry. Then a lot of people wasting crow/their own hats when the game turned out to be great.

People underestimate the amount of involvement Sony Japan has in the development of Demon Souls/Bloodborne.

I would argue the exact opposite - lots of people overestimate the amount of involvement Sony had in those games. They were not actively engaged in the creative process any more than Activision was with Sekiro. They provided technical support, production assistance and marketing.

And yet people act like Japan Studio made half of the game.

Yes, that seems to be the narrative being peddled by some users. It's not true, but it's a narrative!

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I just wouldn't be optimistic about it. We still have very few Souls clones that even come close to From's games.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Say what now? What misinformation? I'm always open to correction and not conflict. Makes me a decent human being.
Japan Studio only provided assistance with technical support and production/marketing.

Design and Development was all From. People always bring up Japan Studio being credited as co developer as proof that Sony should go ahead with these sequels when that isnt further from reality.

Sorry if I came off a bit snippy. It gets annoying seeing this parroted over and over again.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
100% From is a Sacred Cow to many, who are very loud, Sony giving one of their babies to someone else (god forbid a Western studio) would be met with a lot of outrage.

Personally would 100% prefer From to do a Bloodborne 2 (don't care about Demon's Souls) and I'm not in a terrible need for it at the moment, so would be happy to wait awhile longer, but if From never get back onboard I'd rather have a BB2 than not.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do not understand the people that are like "It's Sony's IP" as if anyone gives two farts about IP rights beyond the company itself and massive fanboys.

Like, Sony owns the rights to Death Stranding, or Konami owns Metal Gear, but nobody wants sequels to those games without Kojima.

Oct 24, 2019
Yes, absolutely.

Miyazaki has that distinct creative genius that permeates all of his work, and that's at least 80% of what makes FromSoft games so special

Edit: not to say that a BB 2 or DS 2 couldn't be good without Miyazaki/FromSoft, but there absolutely would be backlash.

for example, if a director other than Tarantino made a sequel to Django, it would initially be met with a lot of suspicion and skepticism, regardless of how the product turned out in the end

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
100% From is a Sacred Cow to many, who are very loud, Sony giving one of their babies to someone else (god forbid a Western studio) would be met with a lot of outrage.

Personally would 100% prefer From to do a Bloodborne 2 (don't care about Demon's Souls) and I'm not in a terrible need for it at the moment, so would be happy to wait awhile longer, but if From never get back onboard I'd rather have a BB2 than not.

Why? What's the point of having a BB2 if it's not going to compare to the original? Why not use those resources to create something new that can actually stand on its own?

I will never understand this forum's obsession with having every IP continue forever.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like a Demon's Souls or a Bloodborne sequel by a dev other than From Software and Miyazaki would be about as good as a Terminator film from someone other than James Cameron...

Oh sure it might look the part at first glance , but a more in depth look will reveal a subpar product...

just look at what happened with Dark Souls 2...

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why? Because you think everything should just happen for you without earning it? Everyone should get the same experience, and FromSoft wants this.
No because there is no reasonable reasons why there can't be more accessible options for people including an easy mode. It's the ones pretending it's not a good thing that show they are in the wrong.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Definitely
Personally I don't need sequels to those games. They are perfect standalone

To people saying Nioh is a successful souls like, Nioh's strongest point is combat which is not inspired by souls at all and come from the Ninja Gaiden background. Nioh fails miserably in level design, atmosphere, pacing which are the strongest points of the souls games. So they are not really comparable.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Japan Studio only provided assistance with technical support and production/marketing.

Design and Development was all From. People always bring up Japan Studio being credited as co developer as proof that Sony should go ahead with these sequels when that isnt further from reality.

Sorry if I came off a bit snippy. It gets annoying seeing this parroted over and over again.
Understood. Sony also has all the art and design documents. I have no idea to what of quality the game would be like without From but we would never know if they don't try themselves. Both IPs are owned by Sony so they are free to do what they want.

Going by their history it's sitting on the IP until they can get a From involved.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Why? What's the point of having a BB2 if it's not going to compare to the original? Why not use those resources to create something new that can actually stand on its own?

I will never understand this forum's obsession with having every IP continue forever.
Its incredibly ironic considering one of Bloodborne's main themes is learning that some things are better left untouched. Hilarious in fact.

Of course these are the people who want s completely different studio take over that IP.