• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
The Demon's Souls Remake is basically a new game made from scratch aside using existing designs and general gameplay structure.
Thing is though...Sony is basically sitting on two Souls franchises that are their own, even if Miyazaki obviously was the creative father of these games, I don't think a new experience made by Bluepoint & Sony Japan would have been outright horrible. Miyazaki will probably want to do his own things, rather than revist franchises so...why not I guess?

Would you prefer for these sequels to never exist rather than being developed without FromSoft?

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I think they could pull it off if they were able to secure Miyazaki's blessing/endorsement.

Edit: pull it off as in sidestep an immediate backlash, obviously how well the game itself would be received would be more based on how well it turned out.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I'd rather not have them work on these at all. Their art directors are wildly different and unless they got concept art straight from From Soft it would not be worth doing I have faith in them getting the mechanics right but past that I would not want to see a new sequel in either of these games from them. Since they just simply don't have the correct talent nor people who are known for those designs or event these kinds of games.

I'd rather this studio make their own IP and game and work off of what they've learnt recreating these games.

Last edited:

gabegabe

Jul 5, 2018
Brazil
I rather them not exist because I don't see a reason for a sequel, really. I'd love to play more Bloodborne, but I think it's good enough for what already exists. I want more IPs made by From Software.

qatak

Oct 27, 2017
I think demons souls ps5 going well opens them up to making a sequel without From in the future. If they went straight to making a sequel to BB or DS without from's involvement, peoples' reactions would range from skeptical to upset.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Yes. From me personally? No.
Better they do it themselves if From is too preoccupied.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
as long as miyazaki gives a "go for it" then they could announce it

but that doesn't mean they will be amazing

Oct 25, 2017
Yes

There would also be people telling From Soft fans with legitimate concerns about the game to stop "concern trolling"

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
There definitely would be outcry. It would be the ultimate bet on Sony's part though. They would get killed if the game is less than stellar but if its great it would be a heck of a triumph.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
The Demon's Souls Remake is basically a new game made from scratch aside using existing designs and general gameplay structure.
Thing is though...Sony is basically sitting on two Souls franchises that are their own, even if Miyazaki obviously was the creative father of these games, I don't think a new experience made by Bluepoint & Sony Japan would have been outright horrible. Miyazaki will probably want to do his own things, rather than revist franchises so...why not I guess?

Would you prefer for these sequels to never exist rather than being developed without FromSoft?

There would definitely be an outcry but the results are what's important.

Good games would shut people up . Would be tough to pull off.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Sony knows that people turn out for From Software specifically and not just those series names. Highly unlikely that they'd do this.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It's interesting Fromsoftware didn't even tweet anythinggggggg about the demons soul's remake, guess they had absolutely no input on it

I'd rather Sony not tbh

aweedswee

Jan 21, 2020
Greece
I would rather them being a thing even with no FromSoft involvement. Sony has many talented and capable studios that could pull it off, even without From. Just because From made demon souls 1 and bloodborne doesn't mean a sequel of them from Naughty dog,for example, couldn't be as good or dare I say better than the originals.

Ninja Kn1ght

Oct 25, 2017
I would be pretty skeptical, tbh. People trust From, another developer taking over the IP wouldn't be the same.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
No don't do it...From Software is unrivaled when it comes to level design, enemy design, world building etc...releasing a Souls game without FromSoft's involvement could do harm to the overall brand

closer

Oct 25, 2017
I know I wouldn't like hearing this, but at the same time I was a fan of a bunch of things in ds2 so I wouldn't be too tight.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be upset personally.

Some people would definitely lose their fucking minds though. Just look at how some react to the idea of adding difficulty options.

Pocky4Th3Win

Oct 31, 2017
Minnesota
As long as it's a good game I couldn't give a rats ass who develops it. Heck if Bloodborne 2 played as good as the original and was developed by iron galaxy I wouldn't care.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine crying (aka outcry) about Sony making a sequel to a IP they own. In the end, it's their IP and they decide what they wanna do.
If they want to make a sequel and From Software doesn't have the time (or if they are done with exclusives), then good. Let's go an do it.
People who don't like it have the option to not buy it.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
What's the point if Miyazaki isn't involved. See Dark Souls 2. To many Souls fans it's the worst Souls game and whether you like it or not, it's very different from the other Souls games. Both in gameplay and leveldesign. I'm not trying to discredit the rest of the people who worked on that game, since it's not a bad game at all. It's just different. And that's mostly because of Miyazaki's involvement.

Bluepoint is a perfect fit for the Demon's Souls remake, since they can take what's already there and rebuild it. They don't have to design the levels, they don't have to design bosses etc. All they have to do is upgrade it aesthetically to 2020 and add some QoL improvements. They did an amazing job with Shadow of the Colossus as well, but they haven't proven themselves as developers of their own games.

Japan Studios is involved in both the Demon's Souls remake and Bloodborne, so who knows what they can do, but without Miyazaki the games would... miss something. If that makes sense. Dark Souls II but also other games in the same genre like Nioh or Code Vein are all good to great games, but they don't have that Miyazaki touch. That special edge. I don't really know how to explain it, haha. But that's what seperates those games from the clones.

I would never say no to a sequel, but I'd rather have them make an entirely new game if they're gonna put a completely different team on it.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Only with their blessing and/or Miyazaki as a consultant I suppose... but even then, it'd be a little weird.

However, at the same time, I do believe Sony Japan/Bluepoint could do a decent job at it. It's worth a chance with either of these IP. They'll really have to prove themselves though at original and new assets/art etc. To some extent they're already doing it with Demon's Souls - possibly exactly because of this. Thus it wouldn't surprise me at all seeing the 6th Archstone.

In short: we'll know more when we actually play Demon's Souls running on PS5.

Last edited:

Ignis

Oct 27, 2017
I think in this day and age we have more important things to have an outcry about than a publisher doing what they want with their IP

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Why? From can't do everything, they may be tied up or don't want to work on exclusive anymore. Sony has the IP and the other part of the total group that make the two games with Japan Studio and whatever involvement Yosp had.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, there would absolutely be outcry if Sony just handed sequels to those games over to another developer without Miyazaki's involvement.

Like what's the fucking POINT in making those games without him? Just make a new IP.

Why? From can't do everything, they may be tied up or don't want to work on exclusive anymore. Sony has the IP and the other part of the total group that make the two games with Japan Studio and whatever involvement Yosp had.

Japan Studio and Yoshida did not have much, if any, creative input into either game. They were production support at most.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Well, I would be at least worried about how they would handle the gameplay.
But if in the end it's good, feels like a true sequel to these games, and have a great gameplay, I particuly wouldn't care if From it's involved or not.
Edit: And people already complain about the possibility of a BB sequel involving From, can you imagine without them? The internet probably won't think the same as me :P

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
Not from me. I'd prefer for From to focus their efforts on multiplat IP, and wish the best of luck to Sony Japan in their endeavor.

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
There will always be an outcry.
If FromSoftware says they're just focusing on multiplat now, and are done with Bloodborne, then yes, I would hope Sony, owning the IP and not wanting it to go to waste, would let another team have a go at it.

Also, in a weird way, it's a win for everyone IF From doesnt return to BloodBorne, since it's an exclusive.

Kordelle

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Of course there would be.
Halo 4 comes to my mind, great game imo but everybody shat on it because it wasn't made by Bungie.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Without any involvement from FS what would even be the point?

I'm not opposed to the idea of another dev working on a theoretical Bloodborne 2 if it's done in collaboration with From in some form though.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Because From basically made that style of game, and have the know how and art direction on how to make one that looks, plays, and performs fantastic and just how it should.

Bluepoint hasn't got any of this experience even if they recreate this game perfectly, they do not know how to build one from nothing they don't have any art directors who worked on previous souls games nor games of that style, their design would be off because the people making the most prominent souls games know what these bosses and their mechanics should be.

It's not as simple as a slap a souls tag and there you have a souls game. There's a lot more small details that make these games and if they don't nail it then it's basically DOA. A good example being how many souls styled games have come and gone with no big sales or what not past anything made by From Soft.

Begaria

Oct 27, 2017
If it had the right team behind it that understood the core concepts of the games, then no.

ace3skoot

Dec 3, 2018
Lets see how the demon souls remaster goes and if it's good I would keep an open mind. Other than looking pretty in screen shots we know next to nothing about it.