• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I won't go into any details about Strange: MoM too much. But I remember all the Mephisto is the real villain of WandaVision.

Didn't end up being true but what changes for Wanda and the MCU going forward?

I guess people wouldn't have blamed Wanda if the town being under control was Mephisto's doing.

Man what was the point of lines like this:

"The devil's in the curtains."
"That's not the only place he is."

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean the whole goal was to ultimately turn Wanda into a villain as we saw in MoM, so no, it wouldn't have.

Mephisto would also be a late stage reveal that not everyone would be guaranteed to be on board for anyhow, which the other D+ shows have proven given how late some of their antagonists were introduced.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Why can't people make bad decisions on their own?

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It is time to come to terms that she's on her villain shit. She dominated MoM. That was her movie, not Stranges.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
abysm-internal-devil-eyes-window-curtains-satanic-home-decor-29438104436926_960x.jpg

Zor

Oct 30, 2017

KezayJS1

Apr 25, 2021
Would be great to have Mephisto involved in some manner especially with Agatha being a thing now. However, I think I prefer the current direction where Wanda is the one having mostly complete agency over her actions considering what she has had to struggle with since her introduction to the MCU. I'm glad that she is owning her path forward, warts and all; I find that a more interesting direction for her than being a puppet.

Newman96

Oct 27, 2017
Do we think Marvel is playing up to fan expectations with Mephisto now? There were 'devil in disguise' signs in No Way Home too

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Hilarious how many comic book readers were convinced there was a Mephisto-type character controlling her somehow.

Nope, she's just evil as fuck.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
No, even the Darkhold thing in MoM is just some sneaky gimmick so if the Wanda villain backlash turned out to be too strong they can just blame it on the book. Real ones know that was all Wanda.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Do we think Marvel is playing up to fan expectations with Mephisto now? There were 'devil in disguise' signs in No Way Home too

No

WandaVision was one thing, there really did feel like there was a lot of incidental devil references, but anything outside of that is a major stretch

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Why can't folks accept her as a villain?

This literally "the devil made my do it" lol.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
The Mephisto stuff made for some fun speculation but it's pointless to judge and assume how different the story would've been had they gone that route. We don't know what they would have done with it.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
No, it would be a worse show if they could push the blame onto Mephisto instead. That's not interesting from a character perspective.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
No

I have a lot of problems with WandaVision but making Wanda the actual villain was way more interesting than having Mephisto twirling mustache
Even with Agatha she wasn't behind it just causing problems

I had problem with execution but pleasin theorists wouldn't have made it better

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
No

I have a lot of problems with WandaVision but making Wanda the actual villain was way more interesting than having Mephisto twirling mustache
Even with Agatha she wasn't behind it just causing problems

I had problem with execution but pleasin theorists wouldn't have made it better
Wouldn't Mephisto not be behind it all but essentially "just causing problems" as well?

That's what I don't get about the complaints that Mephisto would be a puppet master. If Mephisto was playing Wanda and others from behind the scenes with a Faustian bargain, his goals are not what trouble their "deal with the devil" causes. He'd be trying to earn their soul by giving them something they want, at the cost of unforeseen long-term consequences. The choice is theirs, the consequences are of their own making, the devil is just there to tempt the protagonist to get something at a cost.

The way we got things, Wanda is grappling with her mental healthy/grief and the corruption of the Darkhold as being the influences that cause her to use her power at the cost of the lack of perspective on the consequences of her actions (mind controlling people in Westview or causing her kids to even view her as a monster). It's still Wanda making selfish decisions that she is at least initially partially blinded to the realities of her decisions.

In that sense, Mephisto isn't even necessary to the plot to add what he'd bring to the table since it still could be tweaked with Chthon or the Darkhold calling to people and influencing them, making them dark promises with hidden costs. And Agatha was kind of fun but pretty shallow as an antagonist, so I think having a more fleshed out reasoning for her taking the path she did or how she was corrupted by the Darkhold and was manipulating Wanda more due to it, could have actually strengthened her role and they conclusion of the series, especially if they used it to tie more into the themes. Agatha and Haywards motivations are pretty weak in retrospect, so having another antagonist pushing them or manipulating them could have made things work better potentially.

JonaB1986

Sep 15, 2020
Unfortunately I think the MCU will eventually use something or someone like this when it's time for the hero's of the MCU (and us as viewers) to forgive and overlook her actions, and accept her redemption at some point down the road.