• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would Mass Effect 1 receive the same acclaim if it was released today?

• Yes.

Votes: 146 23.0%
  • No.

Votes: 304 47.9%
  • Maybe.

Votes: 49 7.7%
  • I don't know.

Votes: 26 4.1%
  • Goddamn EA remaster the trilogy already!

Votes: 212 33.4%

• Total voters

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Mass Effect was released in late 2007, almost twelve years ago during Bioware's great days. It had a great reception both from critics and fans and is even considered by some to be the best Mass Effect game out there.

All that said, it was a game plagued by major issues, both technical and concerning gameplay. Some of these are more subjective, some more objective, I'll try to mention some of them. First, technically it was a complete mess when it was originally released on the Xbox 360. It couldn't keep a steady framerate during any part of the game. It had gamebreaking issues (I love an entire campaign for a corrupted savefile) and other technical issues like textures failing to load, very long loadtimes and freezes.

When it comes to gameplay and creative decisions it had many problems as well. The Mako handled poorly (people say you can get use to it, but getting used to a problem doesn't make it any less of a problem), all sidequests took place in the same two or three maps that were repated over and over again, all planets were the same mountains with a different paint, it had only three very similar armor sets and four weapons, with only stats and color creating any diversity... and the game's gunplay was very weak with enemies that don't react to being shot.

Yet people, myself included, loved and still love that game. This problems can be overlooked because of what it got right, mainly the cinematic narrative, amazing universe and characters. But would all those problems be ignored in a game released today? Particularly with how Bioware and EA are perceived? Anthem is in the firing line right now but if we look back to DA2 for example, it was highly criticized for its repetitive level design while ME got a pass.

What do you guys think?

PS: Just to clarify, I don't mean the exact same game. But a 2019 version of it with the same strengths and problems.

Last edited:

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mass Effect 1's gunplay was pretty dire from what I remember. I loved it, but it was rough.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Well, of course not. People have have higher expectations these days. I still love the game, and I'm sure new people could appreciate it, but only in the context of "this is an old game, so I'll forgive it its flaws".

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
No, I tried playing it a few years ago when it went B/C and it did not age well at all.

The gameplay is so terrible and the dialogue feels incredibly dated.

May 26, 2018
If it was released today, bit for bit exactly like it was in 2007, there'd be a lot of questions for EA. Like, "why are you releasing a game obviously shelved since 2007 without any additional work done whatsoever"?

It'd be looked at for some interesting ideas and cool scenes, but undeniably a relic of the time it was designed, like Duke Nukem Forever. (Except that game wasn't fun to experience.)

It wouldn't receive the same acclaim, and the faults would look stronger.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
It would. HOWEVER, it would receive a lot of hate in the Era thread and other general gaming stuff because it's from people who judge it by first impression, and the first impression is a mixed bag because the gameplay feels janky and some of the presentation has a corny feel to it.

However, it's worth noting that when the game released on PS3 in 2013 a number of high-profile review-sites did a new review and gave it like a 90 metascore again saying things where they acknowledge the things that game does so well that 2 and 3 forgot about.

Without having played it, I believe Mass Effect 1 is like Nier to new people on Era. You can go through the whole game and have a "so-so" feeling on it, but there's definitely something that keeps you from stopping it if you didn't hard-quit after the first 5 elevators, and then you get to the glorious final missions and realize just how well it all comes together. It's a classic.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
No because the expectations are higher.

But you gotta assume it would be better with todays technology no?

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
that's a strange question, do u mean if it was released in literally the exact same state as when it launched?

then no of course not

the UI was complete ass and the Mako sucked

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
Not with the same critical acclaim, assuming that everything looked and played the same and doesn't get updated with the modern expectations of today's games. It would still get some amount of cult status similar to Piranha Bytes games. In a post-Witcher 3 world, ME1 is a very lean and straightforward game and at release, it wouldn't have the sequels to flesh everything out.

SuperBonk

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It seems like most people are lukewarm to Mass Effect 1 even with the context that it was released in 2007.

Which is weird because it's the best in the series.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Assuming it isn't as dated as it was, probably still not.

A big thing about Mass Effect was the innovations in dialogue based gameplay and immersive storytelling western RPGs.

It would be reviewed well because of the writing, but it would not be as groundbreaking as it was. Thanks in part to the legacy it created (choices in games, romance and dialogue trees, etc...)

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
It seems like most people are lukewarm to Mass Effect 1 even with the context that it was released in 2007.

It's also not the most favorited game I believe. There's a strong vocal minority for it that loves it, myself included, but there's lot of people who really dug 2 but skipped 1 or quit it because it wasn't easy enough to get into.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
Man the gameplay in Mass Effect was fuckin bunk back in 2007, just imagine how awful it would be now.

I also remember the game being extremely short and the final portion feeling rushed.

So my answer would be a no.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
It hadn't exactly great gameplay, in fact it was quite clunky and visually very limited. But the plot and universe really made it amazing, so yes, i think it would be very well received today too.

Nov 14, 2017
Like if it just came out today and the only thing different was it was in the Frostbite engine? Or if it just plucked out of history and released today as a new game as if it never existed before?

I feel like it would probably not do well in either case. Great game but it was definitely a product of its time.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt it.

Out of the ones I've played though I liked it the most.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
It's a flawed game, for sure, but I've replayed it more than any other ME game... So there's that.

The soundtrack is still banging though.

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
Good timing. I've been replaying this and I would vote no. The inventory management alone has me ready to pull my hair out. Honestly, I can't wait to finish so I can move on to 2.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
But not if you go in knowing it's not a newly made game though.
When Mass Effect 1 was released there were very few games that had the scope it did.

Today it's not really that special. Sort of like Anthem. Yes, other people had similar problems but when you come out later the expectation is you have seen the advancements in the genre and technology and adjusted accordingly.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Weird . Few old games could release unchanged and still survive modern expecatations.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Its problems today would still be the same problems it had in 2007, but I think people would still be just as receptive to the idea of "your decisions matter" now as they were then. It's not like there have been all that many advances in that area of video games since Mass Effect. Telltale didn't raise the bar in that area. Until Dawn and Quantic Dream's games never tried to carry your decisions across sequels, they were self-contained singular games. ME made the promise of carrying your decisions through an entire trilogy right from the beginning.

It's still an off-the-charts ambitious idea and would still be a standout feature of any new game, just like it was then, and people would be willing to overlook glaring gameplay (combat) flaws for it.

Last edited:

SuperBonk

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gunplay being janky was actually a positive for me. My sniper rifle was a goddamn rail gun by the end of the game.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Yes. When have glitchy, unpolished, or bad mechanics stopped other games from being praised? That game was hardly broken ass broken. Assuming it was a looker by today standards and biowares writing chops yeah it would get a huge pass on the other shit.

That game had no business getting that praise in 07 to begin with. The story didn't change the part where it sucked to actually play.

Almagest

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
I would 100% definitely be panned for its shooting, cover mechanics, inventory and repetitive side missions. The narrative would still be well received, as the industry hasn't advanced much in that aspect (save some very specific exceptions) and story and characters are still quite good.

Nashira

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 21, 2019
Its worldbuilding, ambience, narrative pacing, and writing would definitely be just as amazing and the pinnacle of the series just as it was back in 2007

Mockerre

Story Director
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Mass Effect 1 is still the best of the three. The one with the best and well thought-out story (with a twist), the one that is a true rpg and the one that feels the most love was put into. Mass Effect's scope has been shrinking since then. It's also the last true great Bioware game.

What it would need is an overhaul of the Mako mechanics ;)

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it would have gotten a "diamond-in-the-rough" 7/10 sort of reaction. I think the storytelling still holds up pretty well, but there are some serious gameplay flaws.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia

WSRLVew.png

No lies detected.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's hard to say without you outlining what can and can't be changed. I think the bones of ME, the story, world, and characters, are still as strong as ever. But obviously the game itself is far behind even c-tier Steam indie games at this point.

Haha, both things can be true. People can be lukewarm to ME1, and it still be the best int he series. Just means the series isn't nearly as good as its reputation would lead you to believe, which is probably true to a degree.

Apr 16, 2018
Mass Effect releasing today would likely get BioWare shuttered as a company.

The first game was never a good game to "play" it just had superb atmosphere. In 2019 it'd get ripped to pieces.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
There's no way to accurately answer this.

ME1 was released in a completely different time. To update it to modern expectations would be a significant change.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
ME 1 was a good game. I felt the series went downhill after that. EA has a thing for destroying good Bioware games. DA suffered the same fate.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Mass Effect 1 is still the best of the three. The one with the best and well thought-out story (with a twist), the one that is a true rpg and the one that feels the most love was put into. Mass Effect's scope has been shrinking since then. It's also the last true great Bioware game.

What it would need is an overhaul of the Mako mechanics ;)

This is why I think people like ME1 more because of what they think it is rather than what it actually is. If we examine ME1's RPG systens then I believe there are no grounds to defend they made it a better game. ME1's inventory was a mess, it had poor weapon and armor variety, skill progression was convoluted and inflated. What is left is dialogue and character building, which was the only thing that truly worked, but was better in ME2.