• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I subscribe to several channels pertaining to my interest and have thought about starting my own channel, but I'd like to know how difficult it is to actually create the video using the YouTube platform.

Videos where clips are zoomed in, slowed down, changing color, putting on a different voice for audio, minimizing the video where the person is and position it to the corner in order to show their reaction while scrolling through a website to go over a post of some sort. These are things I see all the time and I wonder to myself if 1) this is easy to do and 2) whether this is done on YouTube itself or another video program.

Could those of you who are experienced chime in? What are the easiest or most difficult things about creating videos for YouTube and can you do it with that platform exclusively? I'd really appreciate it.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
I've only done minimal editing and I can tell you some of the stuff you describe is not done with the youtube tools. It also depends on whether you want to broadcast yourself vs. record video then edit it into a whole new video.

baggage

Oct 25, 2017
I was under the impression that most everyone knew the basics of video production. It appears that I was very much in the wrong. I suggest searching about Video Editing, and seeing if that's something you'd like to try out.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that any of the stuff you're describing can be done using YouTube's built in editor. It has a built in stabilizer tho!

OP
OP

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was under the impression that most everyone knew the basics of video production. It appears that I was very much in the wrong. I suggest searching about Video Editing, and seeing if that's something you'd like to try out.
Why would *everyone* know the basics of video production? Also I'm asking whether this type of production is possible on YouTube or generally done outside of that platform and what the experience for people has been.

I don't think that any of the stuff you're describing can be done using YouTube's built in editor. It has a built in stabilizer tho!
Do you know of any good free programs to edit videos?

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Wondershare Filmora if you want a really basic, idiot-proof, and affordable video editing program.

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
if you cant (dont have the skill set to) edit videos locally without youtube, you shouldnt start a channel IMO

baggage

Oct 25, 2017
Youtube had some basic video editing software but they got rid of it a few months ago. You need a dedicated video editing software to make your video then upload it to youtube. Openshot is also a decent free video editor, and Vegas Pro occasionally is featured in humble bundles.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Youtube had some basic video editing software but they got rid of it a few months ago. You need a dedicated video editing software to make your video then upload it to youtube. Openshot is also a decent free video editor, and Vegas Pro occasionally is featured in humble bundles.

Thank you. I'll check these out.

Oct 27, 2017
feels like you should be doing some more independent research into the concepts of video production before you even consider starting a youtube channel

Deleted member 54320

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
London
Vegas Pro is often discounted, that's a good place to start. If you want to learn the basics then YouTube is your best friend. How I taught myself when I was a teen.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
The YouTube video editing tools are incredibly basic and it's difficult to do precise cuts with them. I edited a few videos using it, but it was more trouble than it was worth.

My favorite beginner video editor is actually ShareFactory for PS4. It has a lot of features and you can even import video from PC and other consoles. Downsides are that it only renders videos at 720p30 (1080p30 on PS4 Pro).

Once you understand the fundamentals of video editing, I'd recommend upgrading to professional software like Adobe Premiere, though.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
If you want a free video editor to start, there's a really basic one that comes with Windows 10: Photos. The photos tool has a video creator in it with a few different effects. I generally just use it for trimming the start/end of videos, for that it's easy and precise, for anything else it's not that easy, but it can do some of the things you asked about.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The YouTube video editing tools are incredibly basic and it's difficult to do precise cuts with them. I edited a few videos using it, but it was more trouble than it was worth.

My favorite beginner video editor is actually ShareFactory for PS4. It has a lot of features and you can even import video from PC and other consoles. Downsides are that it only renders videos at 720p30 (1080p30 on PS4 Pro).

Once you understand the fundamentals of video editing, I'd recommend upgrading to professional software like Adobe Premiere, though.
If you want a free video editor to start, there's a really basic one that comes with Windows 10: Photos. The photos tool has a video creator in it with a few different effects. I generally just use it for trimming the start/end of videos, for that it's easy and precise, for anything else it's not that easy, but it can do some of the things you asked about.

Thank you. I'll check these out.

baggage

Oct 25, 2017
There's also Avid Media Composer | First, a free version of Media Composer, Lightworks, a powerful but non-traditional video editing platform, Hitfilm Express, that has more compositing and special effects features, Shotcut, and imovie if you have a mac