• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Did the delay of Halo Infinite impact your enthusiasm for Next Gen?

• The Halo Infinite Delay didn't matter, I am still excited for the new X/S and Game Pass!

Votes: 228 32.4%
  • Without Halo Infinite, I decided to go PS5

Votes: 89 12.6%
  • Without Halo, I decided to hold off on ANY next gen console.

Votes: 32 4.5%
  • Releasing Halo would've done FAR more harm than good! Great decision MS!

Votes: 296 42.0%
  • I would've bought Xbox with the Halo shown! Looked great to me!

Votes: 59 8.4%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
I'll start. I didn't buy either next-gen console. I'm still amazed by my Oculus Quest 2 and the ability to play Stadia and Amazon Luna on my iPad. I already 'feel' like I'm in the next-gen, so I didn't feel the need to buy new hardware. Probably won't for some time. However, I would've picked up a Series S DAY ONE had Halo launched with it.

I own an Xbox One S that I only turn on for my daughter's Disney Adventures game and Master Chief Collection. When Flight Simulator eventually comes out, I'll likely grab that, too. However, I've been a PS4 man for the entire gen 7. I'm embarrassed by how many digital games I own. Every AAA first party.

That said, not compelled even a little for PS5. Looks great. The controller seems awesome. The normal itch to have Day One console? Not feeling it.

But had Xbox launched with Halo - as seen at E3 which i was more than fine with - I'd have jumped. I have to wonder how many other people feel this way? Was the uproar about the gfx WAAAAAAY overblown? I'd have been fine with patches and visual upgrades ala WoW over the course of the lifespan of the game. The game looked great. Didn't need to look like Spider-Man or Dark Souls for me.

I just have to wonder...

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really think so. This was always going to be a weird launch with both consoles missing a good chunk of what people would normally think of as big name launch games. PS5 barely got one, and it's a remake.

Also Halo Infinite launching in rough shape would have been worse for the perception of Xbox's lineup than launching without it IMO.

tok9

Prophet of Truth
Nov 2, 2017
For Xbox, sure it made a big difference but judging by what we've seen and all the stories around 343, it was the right call.

But I don't think the same applies for Sony, just sounds like you're not interested in what they have but their launch is as good as it's ever been for a Sony console

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it matters ultimately. Early adopters are often more exciting about having the new shiny box than anything else, as evidenced by the demand for Xbox Series X.

Of course it would have been more in demand with Halo, but it's working fine without it and it will be an event when that game finally launches, I think!

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I would have not waffled on Series X. As it is I can live without for now. But I would have been day one for Halo.

Merc

Jun 10, 2018
Are you kidding? 343 has burned Halo to the ground and it is definitely not the franchise it used to be for over 10 years since Halo 3 which launched in 2007. 343 have dramatically changed what Halo is.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Releasing without Halo killed a ton of next gen hype for me (even though I was gonna get it on PC, but buying a new PC is "next gen hype" too!), but it was not delayed for no reason. If it got the delay is because it needed it. And if it needed the delay, then releasing it now would have done far more harm than good.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
that game had what i would argue to be the worst showing of any AAA title I have ever seen so nope for me

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Halo launching or not is kinda... irrelevant...? to me. I wanted in on Game Pass and I'm admittedly much more interested in the horror games coming out next year, like The Medium and Resident Evil 8, than I ever would be for Halo. 🤔

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Got both consoles, wasn't that excited for Halo anyway and PS5 has more than enough for the next gen hype.

Oct 27, 2017
Not for me. I was already excited with Astro, Souls and Miles Morales. It would've been nice but I actually wouldn't have played it as much with so many games this November. I think a spring 2021 release would be great

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
I don't know… it looked like a Halo game?

It wouldn't have gotten me back into the franchise unless it was dramatically reinvented (and still good).

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Probably not, the game didn't seem like it was ready, and TBH whatever we've seen of the game looks underwhelming.

It may have slightly increased the excitement around the XBSX|S some more owing to having at least one AAA first party app, but I doubt it would have had any major ramifications.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Halo 5 was the first Halo game I never finished so 343 would have had to win me over first with Infinite anyways.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
For die hard Halo fans probably - for the rest probably not.
Just going based on the footage seen so far.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't care less about Halo as a franchise. It's been in constant decline for many years now and lost much of the appeal it once had.

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
You can't buy an xbox series console in America and most likely won't be able to for months. How would Halo have changed this "excitement" factor when it comes to motivating people to purchase something?

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
If Halo Infinite launched in the state of the preview we saw, I believe it would have been bad for Halo long term, but it would have bolstered excitement for Series X|S beyond the levels they're currently at...

Although, with the system apparently sold out everywhere, what do I know?

As an Xbox fan who views the Xbox ecosystem as their "third party console of choice", I've personally felt 0 excitement for the Series X launch and view my One X as being "just fine" till there's a compelling excuse to buy into the Series X.

That said I was always going to get a Series X the second Microsoft bought Bethesda and will be bringing all their games to Game Pass.
Also a PS5 for the Sony exclusives will be mine as soon as I can find one...I really want to play the Demon's Souls remake.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got a ps5, but was considering getting the Series X at launch as well to play Halo. Now, I am waiting until there's at least one major exclusive to pick up an Xbox.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I think the options in the poll are pretty odd. Yes it would have driven my excitement for next gen, and yes I skipped on a Series X in part because there's no Halo for launch, but at the same time, I agree that launching the game when it wasn't ready to launch, would do more harm than good for both the Halo brand, and the XBOX brand.

Essentially, the options aren't mutually exclusive, so I feel that you kind of messed up the poll there.

As is I don't think I'll get an X, I'll just play Halo on PC. If it's worth playing when it comes out.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
OP were you around for the Halo gameplay reveal? Releasing it would have been a disaster after the fiasco and internet dog piling that happened around it's reveal.

RSTEIN

Nov 13, 2017
Wouldn't have changed my mind at all. X and PS5 are major yawners for me.

I will say that it looks like the right decision to delay. They sold out of every Xbox anyways. Infinite will provide a big second wave just as stock starts to become plentiful.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
From a PR perspective MS is still dealing with the 'lack of games' narrative cause Halo Infinite didn't make launch. The reality is it doesn't matter, XSX is sold out everywhere (except apparently Saudi Arabia) and by all indications will be for months to come.

I think delaying Infinite was 100% the right call, especially if it ends up looking significantly better on Series X than it did in the gameplay reveal.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Just baffling the game wasn't ready, but from what I've read here...the Xbox consoles were finalized later than ps5 so it's behind in terms of tools for development ( and I'm sure Covid didn't help).

ethanradd

Oct 30, 2017
Launching with a great looking Halo game would've made me excited for the Series X. As it stands, based on what was shown, I can probably wait until the next Bethesda game to get the console. As for Halo, I don't have faith that 343 will turn around that project into something great but I'd like to be wrong.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I think there are a few things we can safely say:

- Releasing Halo Infinite on November 12th would have likely been a disaster for the Halo IP, one that Microsoft could not afford.
- Had a proper, ready to go Halo Infinite been ready for the Series X|S launch, it would have massively increased hype and excitement.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
Should probably be a poll option for "Halo delay had no effect, was not planning to buy an Xbox anyway".

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Delaying Halo was a good decision, game was not ready. It did hurt my excitement though, still bought the console but wouldve loved to have it even if it looked like before.

Sep 7, 2020
I bought a Series X and I LOVE it. I definitely would have loved to play infinite if it was in a completed state. After the reveal, it clearly was not in a position to release with a strong likelihood of critical success. I am glad they pulled it back into the oven. Hoping to hear how things are progressing in the near future. This is still a game that I am hype for and I have a few things that can take away my attention until this is out. I have hopes that they can get this game out and it is great.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Didn't make much of a difference to me. I decided to upgrade my PC rather than buy an Xbox. Would have done that no matter when Halo released.

MrMegaPhoenix

Oct 27, 2017
I can't see which poll option suits me.

But halo or not, I had no interest in the series x before and still was interested in the ps5. A sequel to halo 5 wouldn't change that no matter when it releases.

But I think it would have looked better for Microsoft to launch with it, just seems more "right"

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
It would've definitely helped the series s/c launch. The consoles are great and it's nice to play older games with considerable upgrades, but it's kinda a meh launch, even though gamepass is great.

Breath of the wild, alone, made the switch launch feel so amazing. That's the power of having a dope ass launch game.

Aug 12, 2019
I would have been excited about the Xbox had they had anything available at launch. Halo Infinite in good shape as a launch title might have pushed me to get a Series X over the PS5 honestly...

But until Microsoft releases something I can only play on Series X, I just can't be bothered to really care that much. Backwards compatibility is nice for sure, but it's not a system seller and I've found Game Pass to largely be a less useful service for me than some in the hardcore communities. Really disappointed in Microsoft struggling to give me reasons why I should buy a Series X, especially after Xbox One flopped so hard after an actually decent first year. I know they have studios making projects, and some of those do look interesting and Bethesda will contribute to that catalogue one day in the future... But as of right now? Halo Infinite and Forza Motorsport 8 seem like the only games properly projected for 2021 right now and that just isn't enough. I hope in a couple years it'll be something I wanna invest in, but it seems to have had a very lackluster and unappealing launch IMO.

OP
OP
Shola Akinnuso
Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
For die hard Halo fans probably - for the rest probably not.
Just going based on the footage seen so far.
Do you know what's interesting? I'm not even a die-hard Halo guy. I'm not that esports competitive multiplayer guy. NOTHING feels like Halo. Destiny 1 for a moment felt close. Maybe the first snow level after the cinematics in Halo 5. But what I miss the most about Bungie Halo games is that open-world sandbox vehicle anywhere gameplay. For some reason, the later games felt more restrictive. Like there were fewer available options at any given moment. What I thought I saw in the E3 footage were glimpses of a return to that open feel.

Halo is the only game that I can think of where during the campaign (which I'm ultimately there for), I can enter a fray, jump into a warthog, leap out, punch an enemy, hijack a ghost or a banshee, take to the skies, come in from a wholly different angle, and feel as if I tackled the battle in the way that I wanted.

Too many later halo games felt like "This is the tank level" or "this is the ghost level" or "this is the Warthog level", but in earlier halos, enemies were both vertical and right in front of you. Nearly any vehicle was available during an assault at any time, and the enemies were varied! Combined with the music (minus the flood) the gameplay loop is still amazing!

That whole design is gone from FPS games. That's why I would've jumped at Halo.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It would definitely have helped the Xbox launch feel less iterative. Forza and Gears updates aren't really exciting enough to sustain a next gen launch.
But ultimately the game wasn't ready and it's better in the long run not to damage that franchise.

PS5 launch is really solid game wise at least.

Jun 23, 2019
That's uh, quite the poll OP. So basically either you wanted Halo and didn't get a Series X or you were getting a Series X regardless? What about the people who were interested in getting a Series X and PS5 and Halo's absence made them keep the PS5 only? I mean for me personally, Halo would have been a good reason to get a Series X. Now, I don't even know if I want one at all.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
Halo is the only game that I can think of where during the campaign (which I'm ultimately there for), I can enter a fray, jump into a warthog, leap out, punch an enemy, hijack a ghost or a banshee, take to the skies, come in from a wholly different angle, and feel as if I tackled the battle in the way that I wanted.

Too many later halo games felt like "This is the tank level" or "this is the ghost level" or "this is the Warthog level", but in earlier halos, enemies were both vertical and right in front of you.

Definitely this, we lost so much of this openess in recent halo games, which even being wildly more open than other FPS games, were quite restrictive in term of allowing you to find your own way to go trough a given encounter.

Yes, Infinite seems like it has the card in hands to go back to that kind of feeling, but I don't know, I still get the impression that 343 didn't totally get it, and this openess mind isn't really part of their identity regarding game and level design. Hope to be proved wrong.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't think it would have really helped MS's launch because it wasn't in a state to BE launched. It would just be remembered as the disapointing halo game that launched with the series x...

at the same time it clearly hasn't helped them by not being there either. they obviously expected it to be their big exclusive release with the series x...the fact it's plastered all over the box tells you that! but they also needed it to be a system seller and a title that shows off the X to its fullest and it just wasn't looking to be that.

The delay will hopefully make it one though.