• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
I've only briefly played the first game, and never played the second one.. But the games do have a story. Games like Bayonetta already released 1+2 before upcoming 3. I mean its more ideal if there is a story connecting the 3rd to the first two at least. I wish they didn't lock the ports to the 3DS only and just came out with a remaster from the 3DS games.. oh well?

This reason alone is why I'm disinterested in getting Luigi's Mansion 3 anytime soon. I have a 3DS, but I don't play play it anymore.

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Is there any deep lore you need to know before playing LM3 that you need to play 1&2?

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's no connected plot so it's not really important

Luigi's in a mansion, ghosts fuck him over and he needs to chase them. That's it.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You're not really missing anything story-wise. Luigi gets invited to a house, discovers it's haunted, finds a scientist who can help him sort things out. That's about it. Well, in the first game he had the added motivation of Mario being lost inside, but LM2 had an extremely straightforward story.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
Simon Belmont's smash into trailer has more plot than the actual Luigi's Mansion games

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What story are you talking about specifically? They're games about Luigi hunting ghosts in a mansion, the story is non-existent. That being said, it would have made more sense remastering 1 and 2 for Switch, since that would be a way to familiarize people with a Luigi's Mansion game before LM3 on Switch, potentially increasing sales. But story? Nah, man.

Zool

Oct 28, 2017
No, the games aren't connected. Also I believe they won't call it Luigi Mansion 3, but something like Luigi's Mansion dark Switch

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
I've only briefly played the first game, and never played the second one.. But the games do have a story. Games like Bayonetta already released 1+2 before upcoming 3. I mean its more ideal if there is a story connecting the 3rd to the first two at least. I wish they didn't lock the ports to the 3DS only and just came out with a remaster from the 3DS games.. oh well?

This reason alone is why I'm disinterested in getting Luigi's Mansion 3 anytime soon. I have a 3DS, but I don't play play it anymore.

There's bugger all story and they're probably not releasing them because by the time you'd played through the two, you'd be less enthused for the new one.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
No. They're hardly a deep lore series that requires detailed knowledge of prior games to fully enjoy 3.

Luigi's got a mansion(s) or otherwise antiquated building full of ghosts that need to be captured in his poltergust provided by weirdo scientist e.gadd.
There, you know everything you needed to about the first two games.

No, the games aren't connected. Also I believe they won't call it Luigi Mansion 3, but something like Luigi's Mansion dark Switch

They'll call it Luigi's mansion 3 everywhere that isn't America, because America is daft.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Luigi's Mansion 2 makes the 1st game irrelevant to me and I hope 3 does the same to 2. Maybe they still should have done it, but I feel like it's too late now as there's a risk of burnout if 3 is still on track for 2019.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
It's not like they have an interconnected story that you will not understand anything that happens in Luigi's Mansion 3 without playing before 1 + 2

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
I really enjoyed Dark Moon and thought it was better than the first but i cannot remember zip about the story. Don't think it really matters tbh, although it would be nice to play the second one again.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's necessarily, but i'd love it if they did. I really enjoy the first two games.

I really enjoyed Dark Moon and thought it was better than the first but i cannot remember zip about the story. Don't think it really matters tbh, although it would be nice to play the second one again.
I think Dark Moon is a little better too to be honest. The original has a bit more charm, and Dark Moon's mission structure is a weakness, but it's improvements to combat and emphasis on puzzle solving, exploration, and secrets really worked with the formula better. I can't say it's actually a better game, but I preferred it, and I think it's a little underrated or people wrote it off too quickly because of some upfront flaws or changes instead of taking into account what it also improved on. Be lovely to play 'em both again on the Switch.