• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will you make Pythagorus proud?

• Nope, plenty of space for my console

Votes: 74 14.0%
  • No, but I still don’t know where I’ll be putting my console

Votes: 27 5.1%
  • Sure, Why not

Votes: 61 11.5%
  • Don't care either way just like to vote on polls

Votes: 87 16.4%
  • Yes, it is dumb

Votes: 280 52.9%

• Total voters

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
Lol I actually hadn't considered putting it diagonally at all. I will just place it behind the TV though.
I'm beginning to wonder if Sony has considered at all that this big boy will be too big for most people's cabinets.

Oct 25, 2017
If you store the console diagonally there's a chance the solid state drive will get scratched up and ruin your Blu ray disc
You're probably kidding, but the solid state drive is the harddisk, and the solid state part of it is because there are no moving mechanical parts, unlike a platter harddisk, or a disc drive like the uhd drive is. But yeah, I would worry about scratching up the discs too. In the digital version of the machine, my only worry would be if the fan and the liquid metal are built to function to spec in that position.

OP
OP
elLOaSTy

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
You're probably kidding, but the solid state drive is the harddisk, and the solid state part of it is because there are no moving mechanical parts, unlike a platter harddisk, or a disc drive like the uhd drive is. But yeah, I would worry about scratching up the discs too. In the digital version of the machine, my only worry would be if the fan and the liquid metal are built to function to spec in that position.

Oh thank you for also bringing up the Liquid metal.

Im definitely going to just alter the shleves to offset the cabinets so they are larger one side to accommodate.

Will be a lot less work than making the diagonal stand anyhow. Would have been time consuming as hell so it would look nice.

Chippy13

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
The vertical piece in mine is the long pice where as yours is horizontal. I supposed I could take the half piece out and make a tall box instead of a long once like yours.

I'm realizing now that like yours the two that are half pieces probably can be moved, so maybe I canmove bothsides and off set them each. One side with a say a 9x 14.5 on the top and 18 x 14.5 on the bottom, then flip the order on the other side.

I think that's actually the best solution. It might even be an upgrade to the design overall, and luckily I just got a saw and work bench to make my cats bathroom.

Did you say cats bathroom.....

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't do it simply because I have no idea if it could cause the liquid metal to come out and kill the system, as mentioned already

OP
OP
elLOaSTy

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
Did you say cats bathroom.....

Haha yes its my first project at our new place. Im framing in the storage pocket in our garage that runs under the stairs of the first floor for them.

Then installing a cat door to that wall from the interior. It should really help control odor and loose litter, plus then its in a isolated space that no ine has to see. It will also be easy to clean with a access door in the garage.

I wouldn't do it simply because I have no idea if it could cause the liquid metal to come out and kill the system, as mentioned already

yeah this plus possible wear are really important reasons to not do it

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
my take, it is harmless beside the aesthetic factor. probably over time the white plastic parts start to bend over the weight of the console since they are not "hard rigid", but who know.

wouldnt that be the case if vertically too?

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
fuck it just hang a net from the ceiling and suspend the PS5 in there

i'm honestly a little surprised how many folks here use these to hold consoles considering the lack of airflow on the sides. then again, starting to regret my fully open tv furniture now that my kid is crawling lol

Oct 25, 2017
Oh thank you for also bringing up the Liquid metal.

Im definitely going to just alter the shleves to offset the cabinets so they are larger one side to accommodate.

Will be a lot less work than making the diagonal stand anyhow. Would have been time consuming as hell so it would look nice.
Good idea. I would personally be pretty worried about keeping it in a weird position the stand wasn't made for.

Sep 13, 2020
Ok... 1) there's no Thor: The Dark World option in the poll, so I'm not voting. and 2) wall mount that bad boy. Could even hide it behind the TV that way. HideIt mounts have great reviews from what I've seen.

Pinku

Dec 21, 2017
Don't people have recievers? If you can fit a medium avr the PS5 should fit. Buy better tv cabinets!

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
My setup
image0.jpg
I fear my setup will be this...

Chippy13

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Haha yes its my first project at our new place. Im framing in the storage pocket in our garage that runs under the stairs of the first floor for them.

Then installing a cat door to that wall from the interior. It should really help control odor and loose litter, plus then its in a isolated space that no ine has to see. It will also be easy to clean with a access door in the garage.

Ha, that's awesome.

OP
OP
elLOaSTy

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
Ok... 1) there's no Thor: The Dark World option in the poll, so I'm not voting. and 2) wall mount that bad boy. Could even hide it behind the TV that way. HideIt mounts have great reviews from what I've seen.

Regrettably didnt add it, knew that was the wrong call. Then again I did ask such a sil question in the first place so what can we really expect.

Don't people have recievers? If you can fit a medium avr the PS5 should fit. Buy better tv cabinets!

Should have had it in the OO but its going in my office not next to a tv. I have these cubes setup for everything else that isnt my PC and work situation on the desk.

Thanks! If it turns out good or a mess I will share, unless its just okay and mediocre then I wont bother ha.

I really hope Sony send out Stability updates for the Playstation 5.

This got me haha

Sign

Oct 31, 2017
1000 IQ, improvise, adapt and overcome. This choice might be the only sensible one for some people and the panels are just plastic, so who cares?

I'd rather do this than risk it to protrude or stand on its own, only for somebody else or a pet to hit it and drop it.

Fuck that. Don't risk fucking things up putting it diagonal.
Exactly what can you break by doing that?

You are putting torque, and load onto parts that aren't designed for it. If it causes too much flex I would be worried it might change the shape of the fan housing changing the clearance of the blades which may affect flow, cause rubbing that damages/breaks the blades, or other problems.

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Cube storage systems don't seem to make good TV cabinets. They're ok for general purpose storage (for example my nieces keep their toys in a Kallax with baskets), and great for certain things like board games, plus you can put different inserts in the cubes. But a proper TV cabinet should be able to fit AV receivers that are even longer than a horizontal PS5 and taller than a horizontal XSX.

Fachasaurus

Oct 27, 2017
The PS5 Cube is being painted Blue on the inside, Green for Xbox and Red for Switch.The other colored cube is yellow for my LEGO NES. It should look nice when completed. It was just unfortunate I didnt know the dimensions of the PS5 when I got this.

You've clearly got a vision for this thing. I wouldn't compromise the additional work you're doing by having the console set on a diagonal.

Modify the upper 4 cubes to be 3 equal sized rectangles. You may need to get some tiny angled shelf brackets but those can be installed to be more or less hidden.

It will really make it as unique as you're intending it to be. Share pics if you can!

Macross

Nov 5, 2017
USA
With both consoles being rather large the point of where to put them has been brought up a lot. The chunky Xbox might be a little too thick for some media cabinets, but for me its the 15+ inch length or height for all you verts out there which causes the issue.

I have a new cube storage system it's 30 wide by 60 tall and 14.5 deep. It's made up of 8 cubes, 2 columns of 4 cubes. Each only has the width and height of 13.5 inches.

The Series X funny enough will have no problem for me in either orientation, but the PS5 doesn't fit in any standard configuration.

Im left with 2 options, lay it down with the top facing out sticking half an inch out on the top and bottom, with the face and back pointed at the walls.

OR

Go diagonal, the diagonal width of 15.5 on a PS5 is several inches smaller than the diagonal width of the cube which is about 19 inches. The tricky thing will be building a stand or support for it.

Is this a dumb idea? Likely. What do you all think?

edit: Digital Edition no discs

edit 2: It has been pointed out that the DE would be safer but still have possible issues with the fan

Will take you 30 minutes and cost you less than $10.
  • Spray paint the color of your storage system
  • Saw
  • 1 or 2 pieces of wood, 1"x1"x13.5" long
  1. Paint the wood to match the storage system
  2. Cut/remove a wall between cubes
  3. Place a 13.5" piece at the back center. Use double-sided foam tape at each end to prevent movement and allow easy removal. Do the same at the front once you have the system in place, optional depending on your need to hold the weight above it.
Optional (If your system is like this picture), get a piece of black fabric and tape it to the rear walls to hang down and hide the openings at the back and keep the cables and wall from showing through. You could also use foam board, but it will restrict airflow more.
GGMgYf0.jpg

VG Aficionado

Nov 6, 2017
Any mechanical disc drive, for what I know. The momentum and weight will be out of whack, it's supposed to work horizontally and vertically.

Secondary, the air flow of the cooling system might suffer, but on that I'm not sure.
You are putting torque, and load onto parts that aren't designed for it. If it causes too much flex I would be worried it might change the shape of the fan housing changing the clearance of the blades which may affect flow, cause rubbing that damages/breaks the blades, or other problems.
Yes, I suppose you are right.