• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Red flag?

• Yes

Votes: 504 87.8%
  • No

Votes: 70 12.2%

• Total voters

Teusery

May 18, 2022
They love interacting with them, joking around with them, and hanging out with them. Whenever you come into the office to visit they are awkward or cold around you. Sometimes you catch them abruptly breaking apart when you show up. Your fiancé's mother knows about them and is excited to meet them when she visits. If you and your SO argue, they run straight to their Jim/Pam.

jimandpam.jpg

Is that a red flag to you?

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
No reason not to trust someone unless they give you one.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
I mean, it's pretty normal for close friends of opposite gender to have something like a crush for eachother (assuming they are attracted to the opposite gender).

If they are going to that friend every time you guys fight, maybe your (generic you) relationship is just shit in the first place? That's the real redflag.

Brandon

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
When you're only two seasons in but want to make a thread about The Office this is what you get apparently.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
If they react like that when I arrive, and if they are way more happy together than with me, then I'm the red flag and not them.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
I think the entire concept of "work wife" is really weird.

Agreed, but interesting how a lot of people spend more time with their work colleagues than their families. A lot of folks are 8:30 - after 5, might get home 6 or 7, and then have a few hours with their partner before sleeping.

Just musing really, but I do see how people can make these links with those they're spending more time with than their loved ones.

In answer to the question, I'd be very paranoid if they were doing the things you listed above, such as breaking apart in an obvious way when you show up. That suggests there's something to hide.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I guess it depends how much you trust them, sounds more like a you issue if you don't like them having a close friend at work.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
As someone who is in a relationship, I constantly try to hope that I'm good enough for it to continue, but I try to keep my mind open that I'm just one person who might not necessarily authoritatively deserve the exclusive compassion and attention of my partner — there are so many better people than me out there and if my partner were to find someone else who was mutually attracted to them, I'd hope that I could gracefully get the hell out of the way, even if that isn't necessarily to my benefit.

I haven't seen The Office in a long time but I'm pretty sure Pam's ex prior to Jim was kind of a douchebag?

If I'm that douchebag to my partner, I hope they could move on and find someone better. Right now, I'm fairly confident that's not the case but I realize I'm not perfect, even if I try. And as mentioned, I'm fairly certain I'm outclassed by so many people in the world in terms of attractiveness and relationship skills.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
"No, I wouldn't be concerned if my fiance was clearly in love with another person."

OP
OP
Teusery

Teusery

May 18, 2022
When you're only two seasons in but want to make a thread about The Office this is what you get apparently.

I literally am! Though this is a rewatch. I'm watching it with someone who has never seen it and decries Pam as an adulterer every time she's on screen with Jim. I don't remember at what point my opinion changes about their relationship and/or Roy, right now he's sort of ignorant to Pam's feelings but he's not too bad. I do remember when he confronts Jim afterwards, though.

Bunkem

Prophet of Truth
Aug 25, 2021
A 'work wife' without the latent sexual tension that jim and pam have is fine, although the term is terrible. As others have said, i would be worried my time was up if i was the roy in this particular situation

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
Look up the term "emotional affair".

Emotional affairs can be as destructive as physical ones.

Why yes, why don't we look at what an "emotional affair" is.

The term emotional affair describes a type of relationship between people. The term often describes a bond between two people that mimics or matches the closeness and emotional intimacy of a romantic relationship while not being physically consummated.
Examples of specific behaviors include confiding personal information and turning to the other person during moments of vulnerability or need. However, nearly all friendships serve these roles to some degree.
It is disputed whether this is inappropriate. Indeed, forbidding your partner from maintaining and participating in close friendships is a common feature of coercive control.

Damn, that sure doesn't look good for whoever accuses the two friends of being in a "emotional affair".

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's a red flag

Real life isn't as clean and easy as the Office either. They wrote Roy's character to be fairly reprehensible and was generally an obvious villain. They also included a reasonable time gap where Pam was single and Jim dated someone else. Anything more realistic and Jim/Pam might have been something much less than the perfect romance that they were portrayed to have.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't care at all. I have 100% confidence my wife would never cheat on me.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
They love interacting with them, joking around with them, and hanging out with them. Whenever you come into the office to visit they are awkward or cold around you. Sometimes you catch them abruptly breaking apart when you show up. Your fiancé's mother knows about them and is excited to meet them when she visits. If you and your SO argue, they run straight to their Jim/Pam.

Is that a red flag to you?

Excluding the Jim/Pam scenario because people are bringing up Roy (as if we are supposed to be him) and going further into the situation in the show instead of just the quoted scenerio, if the quoted scenerio was happening to me i would definintely be like ?!

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
If they react like that when I arrive, and if they are way more happy together than with me, then I'm the red flag and not them.
and done.

My wife and I are adults, if we have problems we talk like rational people.

E: the point is if my spouse is happier at work with someone than me then we need to figure out why that is. Odds are good I'm fucking up and didn't realize it.

Deleted member 27921

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
On the plus side, at the holiday party, when the work husband goes to get your wife a drink, you can ask him to grab you one too and they usually will. And when they go out for Happy Hour after work, you get to stay at home and play Gran Turismo or whatever.
So who's really winning in this situation?

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
No. I would give my partner all the trust in the world till I have a reason not to. And a close coworker or someone who may be into them isn't a red flag and doesn't mean they are cheating.

Even if you use the Jim/Pam situation, Pam remained faithful to Roy and didn't move on with Jim till they split.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Ermm well I had a work wife and it was certainly heading towards temptation, lockdown happened and I have since re-evaluated my marriage etc etc.

All worked out well in the end but without covid who knows what would have happened - I'm glad it didn't come to that though!

So err I guess yes?