• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
A bunch of games should already be able to do this with how their UI is set up. it would automatically stick these elements to the side of the screen so when you would widen he resolution it would stick to the sides and create more space between those and the ones that are stuck in the middle. like how websites can adjust based on the size of your browser window or device you are on, all the way to mobile.

but megaton? lol no.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Probably the only feature announcement which would get me to day 1 an Xbox instead of a PlayStation.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
As the owner of a 21:9 monitor, it would definitely be a point in the Xbox's favor for me personally... but it'd be a pretty niche feature, certainly not a megaton for mainstream consumers.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Not really? A lot of MS first party games already do that on PC, having it work on console as well doesn't feel like much of a stretch.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
If I'm already into the 21:9 niche, I most likely have a nice gaming PC anyways and PC only software and hardware to go with it.
A bunch of games should already be able to do this with how their UI is set up. it would automatically stick these elements to the side of the screen so when you would widen he resolution it would stick to the sides and create more space between those and the ones that are stuck in the middle. like how websites can adjust based on the size of your browser window or device you are on, all the way to mobile.

but megaton? lol no.
some of the biggest new release games I've played just have centered 16:9 UI box which I kinda prefer as on the edge 21:9 stuff can just vanish in action

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Nah. Cool feature but not really. Megaton would be actually two or three new AAA high budget IPs that look great and have innovative gameplay.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
OP, it's okay if it's only a megaton in your heart.

A mic drop for your soul.

Question for people who play on ultrawide monitors: do y'all have owl level peripheral vision? Having all that space would be nice but I feel like it's kinda untapped real estate because I wouldn't be looking over there... Is it more of just an immersion thing?

Oct 30, 2017
Not only is it targeting an already incredibly small market in PC gamers using ultrawide, but then you need those people to want to get an additional box that plays the same games as their existing rig.

OP
OP
HaloForzaGuy

HaloForzaGuy

Nov 11, 2017

Question for people who play on ultrawide monitors: do y'all have owl level peripheral vision? Having all that space would be nice but I feel like it's kinda untapped real estate because I wouldn't be looking over there... Is it more of just an immersion thing?

Fps advantage

Berto

Oct 25, 2017

Mostly immersion, but in some cases it's very helpful. Like racing simulators where you need an frontwards virtual seat and lower fov, you can now see the side rearview mirrors. Or in strategy games like the paradox ones you can see a lot more map around you.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
200.gif

Gold!e

Jun 7, 2018
Britain
It'd be a cherry bomb.

More options are always to nice to have, but I'd wager most people don't even change the aspect ratio settings on their TVs from auto.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've had an UW monitor on my PC since they started releasing them, and they are amazing, but while a great bullet point, I'm not sure it would move the needle of interest on consoles.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
When I sit as close as I comfortably can to a widescreen (1.78:1 / 16:9) display, the limiting factor is its height.
Get too close and it's uncomfortably tall because I have to start looking up and down too much.
But when I sit back far enough that it's comfortable to watch I'm left with a lot of empty space on the sides of the screen.

An ultra-wide (2.39:1 / "21:9") display fills my vision quite evenly compared to widescreen, and makes games more comfortable/immersive to play.
Third-person games in particular feel claustrophobic in 16:9, compared to how much more "open" the view is in 21:9.

It's also the same aspect ratio that movies are shot in - or close enough that they almost fill the entire screen, rather than the huge letterboxing you get on 16:9 TVs.
It solves the problem of wider movies feeling "smaller" rather than providing a larger view, and having to sit closer to get the same immersion as something shot in 16:9.

Going wider than 21:9 is not worth it for media consumption in my opinion. For me, those feel better suited to replacing dual-monitor setups with a single display.
When going wider than 21:9, such as 32:9, I have to sit further back from the screen for its width to comfortably fit in my vision - which makes it end up feeling smaller than even a 16:9 display. Image height is the main factor in how large an image feels.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't be a megaton but I'd welcome it with open arms. I'm personally sort of cheesed they didn't add the support this gen because MS has always been great with display options across their consoles and supporting ultrawide seems like a no brainer. The biggest benefit of adding it means that some developers would add native support/UI for any 21:9 games. I don't expect most devs to support the ratio but it would still be nice to at least have the OS UI and first party game support that comes with it