• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Thinking about it overtime, naw. When I read those books as a kid I wanted them to be a couple but looking at it again as an adult, the two had like 0 romantic chemistry. I mean, romance in general was the weak link of the Harry Potter books, which is why Rowling likely paired everyone off so hastily in the 6th book.

edit

Fuck it, add me to this growing Harry x Luna camp.

harry x anyone is fine

the problem is ron x hermione is awful

harry x hermione isn't good because it's some fantastic pairing, but rather because it gets rid of ron x hermione by process of elimination

What about Draco x Hermione, aka Babies first Reylo?

May 26, 2018
Thinking about it overtime, naw. When I read those books as a kid I wanted them to be a couple but looking at it again as an adult, the two had like 0 romantic chemistry. I mean, romance in general was the weak link of the Harry Potter books, which is why Rowling likely paired everyone off so hastily in the 6th book.

I think a problem is she tried to give everyone their OTP without it ever being a series about romances. She never spent time building that. Only friendships. So book 6 happens and horny teenagers are falling-in-highschool for each other, and it ends up being marriage. Everywhere.

It is a bit silly.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
None of the pairings made a lot of sense, honestly. The movies spend one whole scene establishing that Ginny has a crush on Harry, who proceeds to ignore her for two movies and then suddenly they're a thing.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck no and I have no idea what Rowling was ever talking about, it's like she forgot what was in her own books. Harry and Hermione were 100% incompatible and 100% uninclined. It's one of the most baseless suggested "shippings" I've seen in fiction, and seems entirely based on the idea that "main male character and main female character have to be love interests or something".

Any time in the books where Ron is missing for a time and it's just Harry and Hermione, such as Goblet of Fire before the First Task, or a stretch in Deathly Hallows, Harry is fuckin miserable. He almost outright says in GoF Hermione is kinda boring as fuck to be around, while he appreciates her standing by him, and is fond of her, on a personal basis he just misses Ron (as does Hermione in DH). There's genuinely zero basis for a romance there, and I can only assume the motivation of anyone I see advocating for it is "gee Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Watson look cute next to each other in my Evanescence music video and Deviantart photoshop with a lens flare", without having ever read the novels. Ironically the movies did screw up a relationship and inadvertently make it seem romantic, but it wasn't Harry and Hermione, it was Harry and Luna, who got more of a "relationship" developed on screen than Harry and Ginny did.

If I hear the word "chemistry" one more time, though.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I always thought Hermione would have been better off with ANY of the other guys she was temporarily with, like Victor Krum. She has a big personality, so she needs a cool/tough guy to balance our her flair.

Likewise, Harry should have hooked up with Luna Lovegood from the beginning lol. I would have liked Harry to appreciate Luna Lovegood, instead of the mild-mannered Ginny, because I thought she was actually kind of cool and quirky and interesting.

Either way, Ron and Harry are both total nerds from beginning to end. Neither of them have much appeal to Hermione, outside of Harry being the "chosen one", and Ron having a somewhat underprivileged and down-to-earth charm.

Last edited:

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
giphy.gif

Lmao

Edit: Oh it should have been for the Ron/Ginny post yo, you messed up ;(

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never understood the desire for that pairing.

She and Ron were written in the stars from book one.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
All that chemistry, am I right?

"You miss him!" Hermione said impatiently. "And I know he misses you"
"Miss him?" said Harry. "I don't miss him"
But this was a downright lie. Harry liked Hermione very much, but she just wasn't the same as Ron. There was much less laughter and a lot more hanging around in the library when Hermione was your best friend.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
every characters getting their lifelong partners via their junior high-school.................

I know the harry potter books are fantasy fiction with magics and all..but that part is the most fantastical.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
FUCKING TAI AND SORA AUGHHH

HOW did SORA end up with MATT?!

I forgot this pain but this forum keeps reminding me

I hate that this forum keeps reopening this wound. It has been years and people keep reminding me how pissed I was at that

She and Ron were written in the stars from book one.

This is true. Since Book 1 when she stays behind to take care of Ron after the (giant) Chess game, I knew where Rowling was going with them.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
FUCKING TAI AND SORA AUGHHH

HOW did SORA end up with MATT?!

I forgot this pain but this forum keeps reminding me
Man, watching Digimon Adventure 02 way back and finding out people were upset about those scenes was a trip. I hadn't picked up on Tai and Sora at all.
But don't you see? Harry marrying Ginny makes Ron not only his best friend, but his brother-in-law, and now Harry has a proper family he was denied growing up.
Ah, I can buy this on a thematic level.
Wish Ginny was more of a character to justify it though.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
I wouldn't have put anyone together. Leave it all to the shippers. They didn't have to all be confirmed as straight, for instance. That could have been left open

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is what gets me.

Purely anecdotal, but I don't know a single successful adult marriage that stemmed from being high school sweethearts.

I met my partner in my 30s and there's no way someone that awesome would have put up with me as a teenager.

To be fair, if you went through enough life and death experiences in high school with your dates, you would probably know that you wanted to spend the rest of your life with them.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Harry/Hermione/Ron had a solid friendship. I think that Harry and Hermione could have been pretty good together, romantically speaking, but apparently they weren't ever in love with each other, so that's that. With Ron and Hermione, Hermione was significantly ahead of Ron in terms of emotional maturity, and then she noticed "Oh shit, I think I'm falling in love with that idiot" while Ron friendzoned her and refused to even consider thinking of her in that way. But Ron eventually came around and allowed himself to think of her as more than a friend, and embraced the truth, which was that he was already in love with her and had been for some time. I think people who say that Ron x Hermione would never work are being unfair to the two of them. I think they could make it work.

Harry x Cho didn't work because Cho was on the rebound and emotionally messed up (and it probably didn't hurt that Harry was the Chosen One), and Harry's attraction to Cho was superficial. Their relationship was doomed after Cho's BFF betrayed Dumbledore's Army, and Hermione sniffed out the traitor by suspecting everyone, and Cho blamed Hermione for not trusting Cho's BFF. Harry's like "We're trying to fight A WAR here, what part of that don't you understand?" Harry can't be with anyone who doesn't take Voldemort deadly serious, which is part of why he's OK with Ginny.

For Harry x Ginny, Ginny was mostly a background character, but she had a target lock on Harry since she was 10 years old, before anyone even knew who Harry was, and the stuff he did with becoming Ron's BFF and being the Chosen One only shot him up in her estimation. She played the long game to land Harry and frequently got advice from Hermione. She dated a guy who she specifically viewed as a stepping-stone. Don't get between Ginny and her Harry or she will cut you. I entirely don't see Harry being in love with Ginny, but Harry's shallow, and Ginny ticks off some checkboxes (she hates Voldemort with a passion, check, she acts as an entry point into Ron's awesome family, check, she's cute, check, she wants to marry Harry, check...).

Harry x Luna is pretty good.

Luna x Neville is even better.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Nah, Harry gets annoyed with Hermione a lot in the books, especially when they're alone. He needs Ron there as a buffer. I don't get the impression they would have worked well as a couple. Ron and Hermione staying together long term never made any sense either tho. Why is everybody marrying the people they dated at 16.
Because it's a YA novel series and that's a common cliche

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I recall correct, in the ending chapter Harry+Ginny's kid go to Hogwarts at same time as Tonks' kid, so Ginny would have needed been pregnant by time of the Battle of Hogwarts as Tonk's kid was already born, so there's less than a year for Ginny to have a kid and still be of age to go Hogwarts at same time. She would be 15.

Aug 13, 2019
I always find the idea that if there's a girl in the trio she MUST date one of the boys. As far as I was concerned Hermione had very little to no romantic chemistry with Ron or Harry. It felt very forced when they suddenly had a thing. Harry and Ginny kinda came out of nowhere too.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
If I recall correct, in the ending chapter Harry+Ginny's kid go to Hogwarts at same time as Tonks' kid, so Ginny would have needed been pregnant by time of the Battle of Hogwarts as Tonk's kid was already born, so there's less than a year for Ginny to have a kid and still be of age to go Hogwarts at same time. She would be 15.
Incorrect, Teddy Lupin is an adult in the epilogue.

Saturday

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Better question why was Luna and Neville not a thing that pairing would have been the only one that truly makes sense outta the entire series

May 26, 2018
Better question why was Luna and Neville not a thing that pairing would have been the only one that truly makes sense outta the entire series

Neville: spends his life hunting dragons
Luna: spends her life hunting nargles

dragons: specific places
nargles: could be anywhere

solution: Luna goes with Neville finding exactly what they both want to find

they don't even have to marry. it's just a crack task force.

Oct 29, 2017
I would've bought more into Ron and Hermoine had JK had them show up to the train station having been broken up for years and barely acknowledging the others' presence as they send their bastard off to magic school.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I think all of the relationships made sense in-the-moment, but none of them made sense in the epilogue. I hate it when teenage pairings somehow persist until adulthood, although I guess the wizarding world has the excuse of you not having much in the way of choice (every British wizard attends a single school after all). Although it's a bit problematic that for a series that tries to criticize the eugenics of wizard pureblood families, every canon pairing that I'm aware of is between two magic users.

I get why JK did it, it's a lot easier to write an epilogue when you aren't introducing Harry's new muggle wife who works in a Pret a Manger, but at the same time I feel the epilogue wasn't necessary in the first place.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
No. I had the same relationship they did and the thought of dating my best friend feels a bit too incesty.

Maybe it would be different if I had gotten to know her when we were older, but we were friends since 8 and I don't see her as anything other than family.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it would have been better. Even the people from space who made Harry Potter know it.

The real answer is Harry and Luna though.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Harry and Hermione didn't have that connection.

and Ron and Hermione made perfect sense, it's just that Ron is a total piece of shit. The problem isn't their compatibility, it's that Rowling didn't give Ron an arc where he grew past his douchery.

As for Harry and Ginny, it was mostly just unnecessary. The writing where he becomes interested in her in book 6 is incredibly lazy.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Yes. Ron is a piece of crap and Hermione deserves better. Ginny having a crush on harry in second grade being the basis for their entire relation is silly.

H/Hr had far more moments and chemistry prior to book 6 and its a matter of the characters who actually went through the most tribulations and character growth together being naturally seen in a story as making the best romance.

JK rowling literally is Masashi Kishimoto with this shit and i find that so hilarious. Just with slightly less murder and more stupid hormones injected for the sake of hollow character relations