• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like half my memories of Harry Potter are Harry sniping at Ron and/or Hermione. Makes you wonder why they're even friends.

Ghostmate

Dec 11, 2017
Harry x (whoever) is so passe.. We need some crossovers in this bitch. Harry x Kylo. Come @ me.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Almost any plausible Harry pairing works better than HarryXGinny, imo. He shows more chemistry with Hermione, Luna, Fleur, even Tonks.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

what a tsundere~

PoeticProse22

Oct 25, 2017
Of course not, especially when viewed solely through the books. Harry and Hermione's dynamic makes for a great sibling-inspired friendship. Harry doesn't understand Hermione enough to complement her romantically. Ron is nearly always an intermediary between them. Ron and Hermione's relationship, on the other hand, was an endearing romance that was reasonably well-developed, imo. The suggestion that their proclivity for pithy bickering as teenagers precludes them from sustaining a long-term relationship is absurd. As though the Weasley parents don't have a lengthy marriage built on a somewhat similar and even more argument-fueled dynamic. Not to mention, book Ginny suits Harry enormously. The movies, what with Kloves' inability to understand the characters he was adapting, have greatly influenced the modern perception of these characters and their relationships.

Last edited:

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I don't mind Harry not getting with Hermione. But Harry and Ginny came out of nowhere, and Hermione and Ron would never last more than a few months. Then again, most of my Harry Potter experience comes from the movies, as I never read past Goblet of Fire.

I'll echo others and say Harry and Luna would have been neat.

I thought it was obvious that it would go there because of Ginny's early on crush and her being Ron's sister so Harry could join the family.

It's just that Harry's attraction to her comes out of nowhere. It's mostly down to...."whoa, Ginny's got a nice ass and some big honkers now" for Harry.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Harry should've gone with Luna or maybe someone that wasn't a wizard or witch at all. I never felt like he should really belong in the wizarding world since a lot of their rules and beliefs should disgust him, so falling for someone who was equally an "outsider" would've been better than marrying a pureblood like a Weasley.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Both Ron and Harry are huge assholes in the books. Hermione is the only one of the main trio who isn't a raging asshole for most of the series.
Hermione is definitely the rock to that friendship. Of the three, she's got a chill background. She comes from a loving Muggle family so she gets to taste all of the magical world for the first time like Harry. She's also an absolutely brilliant witch, and she has NO pressure to succeed. She's got a very solid foundation to work with as far as positive stimuli go.

Harry on the other hand lived under the stairs in an abusive nightmare of a house. He finally gets to leave and every single person has the highest expectations possible because he's the boy who lived. He's an urban legend. A myth. Not succeeding and not being great are not options. He goes off the deep end many times as he's clearly sick of all this shit. Miserable childhood, then he's expected to save the world while everybody he knows and loves get killed or have attempts made on their lives. He's absolutely TERRIBLE at coping because his entire foundation has been negative stimuli and getting through shit solo.

Ron is an interesting case. Every single older brother of his is successful or popular. He's kinda picked on at all times by the school bullies and he's a bit of an easy target. He's an amazing friend, but he's too eager to jump into hot water to prove himself and often bites off more than he can chew. He's immensely insecure because of this. And his two best friends are a fucking rockstar, evil-killing, chosen-one, snitch-catching, wealthy-ass LEGEND and the most brilliant witch the school has seen in decades. He is also TERRIBLE at coping because he feels beneath them and his insecurity takes over his thinking. He and Harry are like oil & water sometimes and Hermione has to play referee.

So yeah ... they're assholes. But I think as far as teenagers in their circumstances go, it's what I'd expect to be the norm.

Oct 27, 2017
But don't you see? Harry marrying Ginny makes Ron not only his best friend, but his brother-in-law, and now Harry has a proper family he was denied growing up.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Not sure if Hermione, but Ginny and Harry is such a terrible pairing, it should've been someone else.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I always find hilarious that most of the times I ship a couple, I fail.

And the few times I win (Hermiome/Ron) the world seems to hate it lol

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Harry's only actual good pairing though is Luna.

tumblr_nuw8vhOgHo1s0cmsao1_400.jpg

Harry treats Hermione like a third wheel to his and Ron's relationship and I think he even notes that he doesn't have as much fun hanging out with her solo as he does with Ron.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Book Ginny wasn't terrible with Harry, but it's easily the most boring pairing.

Harry should have gone with Luna because Ravenclaw is Supreme.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Harry and Hermione are garbage as a pairing. Ron and Hermione actually have a developing relationship throughout the series and the interest between each other is obvious. Both are flawed teenagers who don't understand how to deal with their feelings and express them poorly. Hermione and Ron handle their jealously horribly but again they are TEENAGERS.

Harry and Hermione work well as friends but they have a lot of moments where they argue and Harry treats Hermione bad. OOTP Harry is a massive asshole to everyone and we learn Ron and Hermione spend a lot of time together without him.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind Ron/Hermione, kinda think they're cute actually (aka, I've read so much fanfiction with them as a side pair that for me it's now just... The Way It Is lol), but I definitely still remember when I was first reading the books and I thought Harry and Hermione were gonna end up together. I was super surprised when it veered into R/H instead, but I also didn't care all that much so just shrugged and went whatever. The movies have made me real soft on Harry and Hermione's friendship, though. Their solo moments together are so damn sweet, and it's refreshing seeing a guy and gal support each other that way as true friends w/o any unnecessary sexual tension. I wouldn't want them together now.
I will say I've always absolutely hated Harry/Ginny, though. Been a long ass time since I read the books so I don't recall how the dynamic felt in them, but they have friggin' negative chemistry in the movies. They're absolutely awful together. Also how they shoehorned in that dumb kiss scene in the HBP movie always pissed me off cuz it didn't happen in the books and completely ruined the intensity and impact of Harry using sectumsempra on Draco and his confrontation with Snape after. ://///

Also, respect to those who say Harry/Luna (cuz I admit that def woulda been cute and way better as the canon pairing than Ginny), but I'm already on team Neville/Luna. I've always been genuinely bummed they didn't end up together lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, Harry gets annoyed with Hermione a lot in the books, especially when they're alone. He needs Ron there as a buffer. I don't get the impression they would have worked well as a couple. Ron and Hermione staying together long term never made any sense either tho. Why is everybody marrying the people they dated at 16.

Hey it's worked pretty well for me!

But yeah, the relationships make sense when you just squint at them, but there's not really driving much in the books and Rowling is mostly uninterested in delving into them beyond what works for ginning up drama. I get why Ron had his storming-off bit in book 7, but it still wasn't any less frustrating because they never played Harry & Hermione as anything other than good friends.

What was goofy was Rowling pairing off all the other Hogwarts kids off in her "well actually" post-book stuff. Really doubling down on the wizarding world being tiny if everyone ends up with their schoolmates.

jiggle

Dec 23, 2017
Krum actually seemed like he liked Hermione for all her perfections

I can only remember Ron being a bit of a shit to her
And Luna
Actually was he ever good to anyone?

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
OMG that punch looks so wrong...
her arm was folded and clearly missed the shot and then she quickly straightened it out hoping it would fix the issue.

Y'know... I always thought Emma Watson always made Hermione sound like she was on the verge of tears when she was mad.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I can accept Ron x Hermione, but Harry x Ginny came out of nowhere (I mean, aside from vol 2).

Personally I'm bias towards Harry and Luna.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Ron is such an asshole through and through, I never liked him.

Hermione doesn't need a man.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
Ron and Hermione is fine. I like to think their relationship matured as adults and are not as stupid about it.

Harry and Ginny pairing, though, is really bad. Their lack of chemistry and connection is painful. Harry and Luna is what I wanted before book 6 dashed that hope.