• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Some people say games like God of War 3 and The Last of us would not be possible on Switch but DOOM Eternal and Witcher 3 are clearly doing much more in terms of game world size and graphics.

What do you think?

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
Dragon Age Inquisition came on PS3, kind of comparable to the witcher 3.
Lots of fps on ps3, so maybe Doom Eternal too.

Probably not with the stability and resolution you'd want, which a more "modern" switch can provide. I guess. e.g. Crysis 2 runs much better on switch vs PS3.

Edit: Also, different devs, different ambitions, different engines. Variables which in practice make a difference.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands

Most of these and similar questions can be answered with: "It probably can, but it depends on what consessions you want to make".

That said, while Switch is relatively 'underpowered', it does include modern features regarding graphics rendering and pretty decent IO compared to older consoles; so its not just a case comparing the amount of (T)FLOPS and the like.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
The Switch uses more modern hardware than the PS3 or Xbox 360, making modern ports easier to achieve, so it's not so much about raw power as it is about capabilities. The Switch can run a shader model the 7th gen consoles just can't.

Maybe_its_Cthulhu

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's doable, but just requires compromises.
I imagine due to lower RAM the texture quality would be lower and the maps would have a lot more loading screens and would be less detailed and have fewer enemies.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
I've seen horrific things happen with ports. Ports that never saw the light of day, ports that eventually came out but were a hellish plane of existence. Anything can eventually, technically, kinda make it. But it's one of them just because you can do it doesn't mean you should kind of thing.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Who says TLOU and GOW3 wouldn't be possible on Switch? I would imagine Switch would do just fine with nearly any gen 7 port, with enough time and budget

The PS3 would be extremely RAM starved for running something like TW3 though, that would take an extreme amount of downgrading

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Yeah, it's doable, but just requires compromises.
I imagine due to lower RAM the texture quality would be lower and the maps would have a lot more loading screens and would be less detailed and have fewer enemies.

I've seen horrific things happen with ports. Ports that never saw the light of day, ports that eventually came out but were a hellish plane of existence. Anything can eventually, technically, kinda make it. But it's one of them just because you can do it doesn't mean you should kind of thing.
Lest we forget the PS3 port of Shadow of Mordor...

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Dragon Age Inquisition came on PS3, kind of comparable to the witcher 3.
Lots of fps on ps3, so maybe Doom Eternal too.

Probably not with the stability and resolution you'd want, which a more "modern" switch can provide. I guess.

On my old PC with a Intel dual core processor which I had until the second half of 2015, I couldn't even start DAI - you needed a quadcore processor for that game.. Witcher 3 on the other hand ran at 30 (or higher) fps with settings set to Medium and with some even High (like Texture Quality, Water Quality and such) and at a 1680x1050 resolution - well, atleast till I got to Novigrad but I mean, that's the biggest city in any medieval fantasy RPG game that I have ever played with dozens and dozens of NPCs all around the place

Nov 8, 2017
It's theoretically possible, but may require dramatic alterations to level geometry, effects pipelines and other things. And would look and run worse than the Switch versions. When you get back to PS3/360 level hardware you're getting close to the realm where a "port" may more closely resemble a reconstructed alternate version of the same game.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
On my old PC with a Intel dual core processor which I had until the second half of 2015, I couldn't even start DAI - you needed a quadcore processor for that game.. Witcher 3 on the other hand ran at 30 (or higher) fps with settings set to Medium and with some even High (like Texture Quality, Water Quality and such) and at a 1680x1050 resolution - well, atleast till I got to Novigrad but I mean, that's the biggest city in any medieval fantasy RPG game that I have ever played with dozens and dozens of NPCs all around the place

Ah ok

rafiii

Feb 7, 2019
PS3 has at best 1/6th of the Switch ram for games, which is probably too big of a limitation.
The GPU is very old dx9 stuff that is just inefficient compared to the Switch.
And the damn Cell to code specifically.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
To give you an idea of how well PS3 ports of Doom 2016 or Doom Eternal would possibly run, just check out the DF face-off of Wolfenstein: The New Order.

www.eurogamer.net

Face-Off: Wolfenstein: The New Order

id Tech 5 was designed from the ground up for 60fps gameplay, so what kind of results could be extracted from it now al…

So just how scalable is id Tech 5? The true test of the engine would be to compare the results of the new consoles with the last. Unfortunately Bethesda didn't send us last-gen code, but we borrowed the PS3 version and stacked it up against The New Order running on PS4 to see the key advantages the new consoles bring to the game. Naturally, the target resolution is pegged at 720p on PS3, but a dynamic framebuffer regularly results in sub-HD visuals as the engine attempts to hold a solid 60fps - just as it did in the PS3 version of Rage. This results in a somewhat murkier look, with fuzzier geometry edges - exacerbated by the lack of anti-aliasing - and blurrier textures.

Other cutbacks include a reduction in alpha-based effects (smoke, fire and debris), the loss of screen-space reflections on shiny surfaces, and the removal of the fluid simulation used to replicate the swell and flow of water. We also see simpler levels of post-processing, with the noise filter used to give the game a gritty oppressive look on the PS4, Xbox One and PC builds appears to be completely absent. The lighting model takes a knock too, dramatically changing how characters and portions of the environment are illuminated. This leads to an unusually dark look in many areas, with enemies and objects cast in shadow.

It could in theory be possible but the sacrifices to achieve it would be many and severe.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
The Ps3 couldn't even run Dragon's Dogma. The Ps3 pretty much struggled with anything that's open world

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
late 6th gen stuff has me assuming a lot of early to mid 7th gen games could have been ported to PS360 (and even wii U, lol), if they really cared to cut their teeth on those consoles

Oct 27, 2017
witcher 3 load times would be so long that gwent could become a dedicated loading screen minigame
There's a lot less RAM to fill up to be fair. On the other hand, gen 7 games usually didn't have mandatory installs so you'd be streaming a lot from disk.

Generally, the most jarring part of going back to those old games is the texture res so I imagine any game with lots of human face close-ups wouldn't port well.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Sure they'd be possible. Anything's possible, it's just a matter of how many corners you want cut.

I mean, the Sega Genesis had a port of Virtua Fighter 2.

Last edited:

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Some people say games like God of War 3 and The Last of us would not be possible on Switch
... Who are these people?!
ps3 is more powerful than switch handheld mode, no?
No
The Switch uses more modern hardware than the PS3 or Xbox 360, making modern ports easier to achieve, so it's not so much about raw power as it is about capabilities. The Switch can run a shader model the 7th gen consoles just can't.
This.

Snefer

Creative Director at Neon Giant
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Some people say games like God of War 3 and The Last of us would not be possible on Switch but DOOM Eternal and Witcher 3 are clearly doing much more in terms of game world size and graphics.

What do you think?

People who say The Last of Us is not possible on switch are just straight up wrong to be honest. Of course it is. The switch is massively more powerful than a PS3.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
It most certainly can considering how bad the PS3's ram setup is and the OS using more memory than the 360's

Most Bethesda games run like crap on all platforms, even to this day. Deathloop (which isn't a looker) has major stuttering issues on PS5 which is supposed to be easy to develop for. Some notable exceptions like Wolfenstein that runs beautifully (and I think DOOM too but never played it)

The PS3 was capable of games much better than anything Bethesda put on it - God of War 3, God of War Ascension, TLOU, Uncharted 3, Killzone 2/3, and more

jaffaro

Banned
Mar 16, 2018
A ton of open world games ran on PS3, GTA V, Skyrim, Assassin's Creed games, so I don't think Witcher 3 with scaled down graphics (obviously) wouldn't be possible.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
MGS4 looks better than most games released last gen (exaggerating), so yeah, if optimised properly in the CELL. I find it also weird that MGS4 looks better than anything on switch, yet people are saying that Switch is a stronger system? Was it just Kojima engineers or something haha.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
MGS4 looks better than most games released last gen (exaggerating), so yeah, if optimised properly in the CELL. I find it also weird that MGS4 looks better than anything on switch, yet people are saying that Switch is a stronger system? Was it just Kojima engineers or something haha.
MGS4 was a good looking game, for sure, but it also ran at some weird resolution and the framerate would often chug to the low teens.

And yes, the Switch is stronger than the PS3, no contest.

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
MGS4 looks good and all, but better than anything on Switch? It's not even the best looking PS3 game.

YohraUtopia

Apr 1, 2021

I think outside of graphics (and really recently loading times but that you might be able to futz with) there have been massive diminishing returns in the gaming-tech arms race. Some of these recent remakes really help make that clear. Mass Effect: Legendary (with PS5 patch!) is great, better looking than Mass Effect with some great quality of life improvements but... after like 10 minutes of wow, that planet looks awesome, it's really just the same game. You could make Sekiro but it has the graphics of OG Demon's Souls and... it would largely be Sekiro. I struggle to think of games that are truly impossible on those older hardwares again outside of presentation. It's also quite telling that quite a lot of recent critical GOTY could probably run on decades old hardware (all the 2d and isometric greats of recent years a la Dead Cells or Hades and so on) and lower geometry versions of quite a lot of commercial GOTYs could also do so.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot this is all framed additionally as Switch vs... PS3? Yes, obviously Switch can run PS3-level games. Come on.

Last edited:

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
I find it extremely hard to believe the switch could not handle TLoU. Yea you'd have to turn some settings down, but it is a mostly slow moving linear action game. That's not something the switch would have a hard time supporting in a structural/ data streaming sense.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
You can do an incredible amount of computing with very little power. It just takes a lot of time, work, and some genius to do so which is why it's a lot easier and cheaper to increase the amount of computing resources available than it is to try to suck every last drop out of your current resources. There are communities out there dedicated to making pretty complex things run on minuscule amounts of computer power. Like getting Doom to run on a pregnancy test or something.

YohraUtopia

Apr 1, 2021
You can do an incredible amount of computing with very little power. It just takes a lot of time, work, and some genius to do so which is why it's a lot easier and cheaper to increase the amount of computing resources available than it is to try to suck every last drop out of your current resources. There are communities out there dedicated to making pretty complex things run on minuscule amounts of computer power. Like getting Doom to run on a pregnancy test or something.

This. 100%. "Easier and cheaper" + good marketing to boot! And also, yeah, back in the day, there plenty of communities getting like Orange Box to run and decently well with custom drivers on trash bag intel integrated graphics chips (and pretty shit CPUs too.)

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
You could've said MSGV and even then you'd be wrong.