• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SuperL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
There are a lot of complaints about how samey the New Super Mario Bros. games are, but conversely, you'll also see a lot of people who dismiss the Western Super Mario Bros. 2 as not a real Mario game because it started out as Doki Doki Panic and does things differently from the other games.

Would fans really accept a 2D Mario platformer that does what the American Mario 2 did and radically shake up the formula, or would they just complain about how it's not really Mario?

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
why would you make another game like super mario bros. 2 when it's game of the year literally every year since its release?

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
WART'S REVENGE.

I'd be down for sure.

There's great mario games that draw on previous games, some that divert from previous games, and some that balance doing both. I'm open to all of them, really.

All of the mainline Mario games are good in their own way.

Sep 14, 2019
giphy.gif

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I feels like it's time for that style of game to return. We've already got a ton of the *new* titles and Mario maker.

Seems like the only side-scroller Mario left to do something with.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure they would, especially if it was marketed right.

I'd be down for it, it's a fantastic game.

Annabel

Mar 22, 2019
I feel it's a pretty popular request at this point, no?

And as far as the Mario games go, feels like 2 is referenced the least. Aside from 3D World's handling of multiple characters being a direct reference to it.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's Mario. I am 100% OK with whatever he does. He can do literally anything and it can be fun no matter what.

Super Mario Bros. 2 is a good game, and I'm a weirdo who prefers the Super Mario Advance version.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
Sure, I'd be ok with that, but I don't know how they'd do it. Super Mario Bros 2 had the advantage of just being a different game first.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
New Mario Bros 2 was all about coin mania, Sunshine was about a waterpack and Mario Odyssey has you possessing everything. They're not afraid of going against the grain.

2 seemed even stranger though without Bowser.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
well back in '88 there wasn't much to juxtapose "super mario bros" to. it could've been a top down dungeon crawler and people would've been like "uh, okay whatever".

a modern analogue to what SMB2 was back then would be ... really really out there.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I would love an update of that game style so much. SMB2 was actually my first Mario so it holds a special place in my heart. I think Nintendo could damn well stand to make one in that style after the million New Super Mario games and two Mario Makers. :P

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
There are a lot of complaints about how samey the New Super Mario Bros. games are, but conversely, you'll also see a lot of people who dismiss the Western Super Mario Bros. 2 as not a real Mario game because it started out as Doki Doki Panic and does things differently from the other games.

Would fans really accept a 2D Mario platformer that does what the American Mario 2 did and radically shake up the formula, or would they just complain about how it's not really Mario?
Super Mario 3D World is basically Super Mario Bros 2 3D.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love it. We see elements from it show up from time to time in other Mario games. I think a proper return or expansion to that style could really work.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
Super Mario 3D World but themed around Sub-Con. Captain Toad has teases with the onions and Shy Guys.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I really, really want the next mainline 3D Mario game to take place in Subcon and use that an excuse to be more dream-like and focus more on vertical platforming and throwing enemies and turnips with Wart as the main villain.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Doki Doki Panic was so similar to Mario it was easily rebranded so I don't at all see a problem to returning to that style. It just adds throwable objects and vertical level design.

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
If a new Yume Kojo: Doki Doki Panic were released (and a new Yume Kojo 2020 festival took place) I can see it happening... and I would love a return to Subcon.

But I don't see that scenario happening. Closest we'll get is Super Mario 3D world, and with how the Sprixies resemble Subcons (and 4 player select).

(Sidenote: I'd love to watch a making of 3D World to see if SMB2 USA influenced the game)
238-B99-BB-113-E-4-A7-D-BDE2-D7-A89312-D025.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Yes because even though I think SMB2 US is straight doo-doo, the gameplay is interesting enough in theory to deserve another iteration and Subcon seems like a world well worth fleshing out.

Plus, it's an excuse to put Birdo in a game. MORE BIRDO ALREADY.

new wario land please

This too. At least remake WL 4 or Virtual Boy Wario Land (my favorite) or something. Do both.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I loved SMB2. It was very different, but still a great game. As a kid, being able to play as Mario, Luigi or even Toad or the Princess was cool as hell, and the gameplay being so different kinda blew my mind at the time. It was Mario, but in a whole new world.

I'll take another one any day. Still waiting for them to add SMB2 style to Mario Maker 2.

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
Span into a sub-series and made by a different developer like Wario Land or Yoshi's Island? Sure.

Taking the place of a 'traditional' Mario game? Hell naw.

OP
OP

SuperL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
By similar to Super Mario Bros. 2, I meant take similar liberties with the usual formula. For example, not have Bowser, not have Peach get kidnapped, not have jumping on enemies be the main attack, enemies that aren't just the usual Goombas and Koopa Troopas.

That sort of thing.