• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I'm currently playing though Pokemon Shield (I may put together a LTTP when I'm done) but this just crossed my mind.
In Dragon Quest XI, instead of having traditional difficulty settings, you have this:
dragon-quest-xi-s-1.jpg

You can turn as many of these as you wish on at the start of the game, and you can turn any or all off any any point afterwards, but you can't put them on again unless you make a new game.

And I think much of it all could work well in Pokemon, like say:

Master Trainers - Trainers (and boss Pokemon) are much stronger and smarter
Reduced EXP - Pokemon Receive less EXP from battles
Capped Levels - Pokemon will stop gaining EXP upon hitting a level determined by your story progress (Gym badges)
No battle items - You can't use your items in battles
Opponent Items - Other Trainers will have more and better items they can use in a battle
Expensive Items - Pokemart items cost considerably more
Paid Pokemon Center - The Pokemon center is no longer free (Unless you are broke)
Disobedient Pokemon - Even non-traded pokemon will disobey you if they are too high a level.

Last edited:

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Capped Levels - Pokemon will stop gaining EXP upon hitting a level determined by your story progress (Gym badges)

Disobedient Pokemon - Even non-traded pokemon will disobey you if they are too high a level.

These seem too similar. Like capped levels would negate the other one.

Sage

Oct 27, 2017
Japan
Yeah, genuinely great idea. Just anything to help would be good really, optional or not. The Pokémon games as they are now are just broken. That's the only way to describe it. Nothing appears to have been balanced at all in the main story in terms of actual RPG mechanics. It's mind numbing.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
Never used them in Dragon Quest. Can you turn them off and on or are they locked in?
I think they're a good idea but it would suck if you got stuck like 50 hours and you couldnt disable them.

neufel

Oct 29, 2017
Switzerland
I remember people asking for official Nuzlocke options, but Dragon Quest's "à la carte" menu is really perfect and would serve multiple types of players, even kids on 2nd playthroughs, not just big RPG fans.
I honestly love that idea.

OP
OP

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I remember people asking for official Nuzlocke options, but Dragon Quest's "à la carte" menu is really perfect and would serve multiple types of players, even kids on 2nd playthroughs, not just big RPG fans.
I honestly love that idea.
Ooh, you could add an option to that effect.
Nuzlocke - Pokemon that faint are permanently boxed until this option is disabled. If all party pokemon faint, this option is disabled and cannot be reenabled.

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
more options is always better but some of those aren't the best

Paid Pokemon Center for example, looking at those DQ11 settings there isn't an option to make churches cost money to use so I don't see why it would need to be there for pokemon

and yeah all of those pokemon level ones seem quite redundant when just lower exp cost makes more sense

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
Honestly, I'd just be happy to be able to either turn off XP Share or turn off getting xp when you catch Pokemon. My "Catch 'Em All" mentality used to not impact my level, I like going into Gyms and such underleveled. But in my Sword playthrough, I'm constantly catching Pokemon and it's throwing off my normal level strategy.

Don't mind them as options, I'd just like them optional. I don't need anything fancier than that.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Honestly the Draconian settings are a good idea on paper but in practice they're pretty tedious and the fact that they can't be toggled as desired is a real bummer. I just stuck with avoiding as many random battles as possible to keep my level low which also made the game a good bit shorter.

neufel

Oct 29, 2017
Switzerland
Paid Pokemon Center for example, looking at those DQ11 settings there isn't an option to make churches cost money to use so I don't see why it would need to be there for pokemon

Yeah but you need to pay to use inns, and Pokécenters are both churches and inns
It would suck to be stuck without the ability to revive your Pokémon early on though, you're right, especially when you remember the few ways you can actually earn money.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Some romhacks do stuff like this and they're great.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
It needs something, anything when it comes to difficulty settings. I know Pokemon is an easy game but Sword and Shield was so easy it put me off completely and I dropped it.

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
I think they would. Challenges like reducing experience, raising item prices, and no Pokémon center healing would be cool. It's certainly more interesting than raising enemy Pokémon levels a bit.

MangoUltz

Mar 24, 2019
Pokemon should basically just take DQ XI, swap all the monsters for Pokemon, make them catchable, and have you just pokemon battle through the game.

Ideal game.

dsosarod

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Pokemon should basically just take DQ XI, swap all the monsters for Pokemon, make them catchable, and have you just pokemon battle through the game.

Ideal game.
HHahahahaha I had an idea like that. It makes sense. I mean, after all those changes it would basically be a new thing, but yes.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
DQ11 in general would be a great blueprint for a Pokémon game. The scope, the visuals, the environement, the QoL features... Pretty much all of it would be great for Pokémon.

mrgoomba

Dec 10, 2017
I used to change my pokemons a lot and get lower levels or the same level of the trainers.. That usually worked for me to get more challenge in the game even for catching pokemon.. but now that we can't disable exp share and can change pokemon at any time at will it's hard to get challenged lol

Those DQXI like settings would be good but I know I'd never use them.. I'd prefer the main game to have other ways to challenge players

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it would be a great idea. i'm not a fan of not being able to turn them on after turning them off tho.
i really like when RPGs let you adjust difficulty mid-game, i think pokemon could really use that. sometimes you just want to play a bit, grind and relax, and sometime you may want a more challenging experience.

GARU

Oct 16, 2020
Absolutely. If there's something that has been missing in Pokemon games for a LONG time is options, more specifically, difficulty options and I think the Draconian Quest model would be great for it.

Just turning on the option "All enemies are super strong" makes a world of difference in DQXI.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Forcing myself to abide by Nuzlocke rules in Black 1 was the most enjoyment I have had in a Pokémon game.

So yes, adding a set of toggle options as such is a win I'd argue.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
DQ11's draconian options changed the game from a decent game to an amazing game IMO. Adding something similar to Pokemon would convince me to come back to the series.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Yes it would be great
Sadly it also would be basically impossible since pokemon is in the market of removing options instead of adding them
They cant even allow you to decide the damn exp share anymore. Anything in the op as good as it sounds is a pipe dream

it would be a great idea. i'm not a fan of not being able to turn them on after turning them off tho.
i really like when RPGs let you adjust difficulty mid-game, i think pokemon could really use that. sometimes you just want to play a bit, grind and relax, and sometime you may want a more challenging experience.

There's little point in a "no exp" setting that you can turn on and off to grind though

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
That would be great, but anyone who thinks GF would actually do this is delusional.

Remember challenge mode in Black 2 (but not White 2)? I 'member.

I don't, because besides having to go through the stupid process to get a key in the first place, if you delete your data to start a new game you lose your key. I haven't seen the person I got the key from in years and have no idea where they are, so I lost access to hard mode forever.

Thanks for the worst difficulty option in the history of videogames, game freak.

Yes, White 2 only has Easy mode. The only way to get Easy Mode in Black 2 and Challenge Mode in White 2 was by trading keys or something like that.

Actually, neither version "has" it, since you only unlock it when you finish the game and you lose it if you start over.

The only way to play the game with the difficult settings is to get a key from someone who has it. The key you unlock is useless for yourself, it's meant to be transferred.

Last edited: