• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which last name would/did you give your child?

• Your last name

• Your significant other's last name

• Hyphenated last name

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
In the spirit of the other thread regarding taking your significant other's last name after marriage, I wanted to extend that question towards choosing the last name of your child. This extends to people who already have children or theoretically having one in the future.

I am curious to see the cross over in answers from that thread and feel free to explain your answer.

In the US, typically children are named after their father's family name however, for me personally, I have my mother's family name since my father and mother weren't married. With that being said, my current girlfriend and I have agreed that our potential children will be taking on my last name regardless of marital status because she doesn't like her last name. Which is honestly what I prefer since her last name is more generic than mine.

Last edited:

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
I'll take it up with my future wife, but I'm pretty open to hyphenated. we both contribute some dna so that seems to make the most sense

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
We all took my last name. It is very ethnic sounding (as is my wifes) and sometimes I regret burdening my kids with it since they will be pre-judged based on it. We've talked about abbreviating it to make it sound generic, but never did.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
My last name because it's infinitely more unique. My son is the only male on the planet to carry on my last name. If I had a girl my last name would die off with me and a couple of my cousins who all have daughters.

cwmartin

Oct 27, 2017
My SO and I are not married, our son is due in June and she chose for him to have my last name. I didn't have any preference either way.

GeminiX7

Feb 6, 2019
For our future children, my girlfriend(we'd get married before then hopefully) and I decided they'd have my last name. As for my girlfriend's 3 year old, she currently has her mother's last name, but when we get married, we haven't decided yet how to go about it. My gf said she is taking my last name, and I would love to adopt her daughter and plan to raise her as my own, but we kinda want to make it her choice whether or not to take my last name, or at least let her give her input in some way.

To be fair, my last name literally means "Rebel" or "Rebellious" in Igbo, so I wouldn't be surprised everyone wants this bitchin last name.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
He got my last name. My wife had a hyphenated last name that is her first married last name and mine. She had already published and established a career with her first married name so she didn't want to fully ditch it. So our son got my last name since it wouldn't make sense at all to give him her first husband's name, lol.

I honestly wouldn't give a shit what last name he got if hers actually was more different.

Grimsen

Oct 25, 2017
Ours kids have my last name. We just agreed on it, since it sounded better than the other options.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
My wife insisted on giving our son my last name since she took it as well once we got married.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
I don't have a strong opinion about mine, and my wife doesn't like her last name. I don't feel a societal obligation and would probably do whatever she wanted.

Miles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego, CA
I recommended our daughter have her last name and if we have a son for him to have my last name. She preferred for all of our kids to have my last name.

Clear

Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
The boys took my last name and their middle names were to honor family on her side.

Just followed social norms on the last name and she had strong feelings about the middle names so it worked out well.

LosDaddie

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Longwood, FL
My wife took my last name.

So of course our 2 kids have it as well. It's not an issue

Last edited:

Rezon

Oct 28, 2017
In Iceland, names work way differently.
My name is Róbert, so my kid would be named: *FIRST NAME* *MIDDLE NAME* (if you want) and then the last name would be Róbertsson(boy) or Róbertsdóttir(girl). There are also parents that give the kids the name of the mother, but most often this is done by kids that have bad relationships with their fathers, when they become 18.

Last edited:
We gave them my husband's last name. I've yet to change mine since it's such a pain, we keep moving, and my career is under this name. The only thing I'm worried about is all the passports. My eldest is Australian, my youngest is English, and I'm American. Without sharing the last name I worry for airport/immigration trouble eventually.

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
My name is Róbert, so my kid would be named: *FIRST NAME* *MIDDLE NAME* (if you want) and then the last name would be Róbertsson(boy) or Róbertsdóttir(girl). There are also parents that give the kids the name of the mother, but most often this is done by kids that have bad relationships with their fathers, when the become 18.
That's actually pretty cool

OP
OP
Deception

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
My name is Róbert, so my kid would be named: *FIRST NAME* *MIDDLE NAME* (if you want) and then the last name would be Róbertsson(boy) or Róbertsdóttir(girl). There are also parents that give the kids the name of the mother, but most often this is done by kids that have bad relationships with their fathers, when the become 18.
That's actually pretty awesome. This should be the norm everywhere lol