• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nickfrancis86

Nov 10, 2017
As a PC and PS4 user, there would only be a few games that would force me to get a PS5 at launch. Something like a new God of War and maybe Horizon Zero Dawn 2. Playing the entire PS4 library with performance enhancements out the box would be a big part of my day one purchase too. For me this is a nice to have, however my 4 year old son has started to want to play games on PS4, to have to buy or rebuy a load of games for him to mess about with would make me hold off my purchase.

OP
OP
Butt-shot Katana
Dec 14, 2017
As a PC and PS4 user, there would only be a few games that would force me to get a PS5 at launch. Something like a new God of War and maybe Horizon Zero Dawn 2. Playing the entire PS4 library with performance enhancements out the box would be a big part of my day one purchase too. For me this is a nice to have, however my 4 year old son has started to want to play games on PS4, to have to buy or rebuy a load of games for him to mess about with would make me hold off my purchase.
H:ZD2 might do it. I don't care about GoW (which is weird, because I'm writing about the Norse Jötnar)...

As for better versions of this gen... XBsX will be the same.

Someone said I was a fanboy, but I started this gen so pro PlayStation and anti-Xbox.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
For me, no true exclusives takes away some of the fun of getting a next gen console.

They aren't going to be cheap either, so it takes away some of the value of dropping a lot of money on one. If all games are available on the old consoles, I have no need to rush out and get a new one on day 1.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I think it's always fun to have something that just insane on day one, but I don't think that has been the case as the old gen machines are pushed so hard towards the end and the software is still created in the same year based upon the technology that exists in that moment.
But other than that I juts like to have a stream of games available to me on a weekly basis, just as it has been for the last 7 years

OP
OP
Butt-shot Katana
Dec 14, 2017
For me, no true exclusives takes away some of the fun of getting a next gen console.

They aren't going to be cheap either, so it takes away some of the value of dropping a lot of money on one. If all games are available on the old consoles, I have no need to rush out and get a new one on day 1.
Did you skip PS4 Pro or Xbox One X? I only got an X—I swear to God—because I wanted to play multiplatform games again (my PS4 was home and I was on travel assignment with only a Switch) and I wanted to play Mass Effect 2&3 on a modern console.

I was so pro-Sony, but it turns out, it was for stuff like Persona, Ys, and some other quirky Japanese things (and indies.) I want Trails of Cold Steel 3, Nioh 2, and FFVII:R from PlayStation and that's all.

And now Phantasy Star Online is coming to Xbox? What planet is this? And the Yakuza games are coming to GamePass? All the FFs?

To the extent I'm an Xbox fan, it's mostly because of GamePass. I've tried so many things I never would have otherwise.

If Sony put out skateboarding, snowboarding, or something less middle-aged-white-dudes-are-fathers-now type games, I'm sure I'd be right back in that camp again.

All that is beside the point, though. Because there won't be great Sony exclusives till 2021—probably late 2021.

Kingsora

May 19, 2018
Absolutely! Why would I buy a new system if I can play all those games on my current gen console? For the graphical bump? Games look already so great on PS4 and Xbox One that buying the new FIFA or Call of Duty on a new console that I can still play on my current console is not going to add so much more value.

If the PS5 has some interesting exclusives then the new Xbox is going to sell a lot slower in the beginning. I can't understand the strategy behind not wanting to bring exclusives in the first year.

Really, someone explain why that is a smart strategy? Do they really expect people are going to throw 500 dollar to a new console if there aren't exclusives ...?

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Traditionally the "wow factor" is important for early adopters of especially high priced consoles. Usually showing visuals that just aren't possible on the older consoles.

Killzone Shadow Fall for PS4 and Ryse for XB1 were their wow factors although most of my time with PS4 at launch was spent playing Resogun and BF4 as Shadowfall bored me despite the amazing visuals. I actually really enjoyed Ryse when I finally bought an XB1 in 2014.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, I'd say I'd lose about £450.

This time technology has jumped quite a bit so I want exclusive experiences from day one.

OP
OP
Butt-shot Katana
Dec 14, 2017
Absolutely! Why would I buy a new system if I can play all those games on my current gen console? For the graphical bump? Games look already so great on PS4 and Xbox One that buying the new FIFA or Call of Duty on a new console that I can still play on my current console is not going to add so much more value.

If the PS5 has some interesting exclusives then the new Xbox is going to sell a lot slower in the beginning. I can't understand the strategy behind not wanting to bring exclusives in the first year.

Really, someone explain why that is a smart strategy? Do they really expect people are going to throw 500 dollar to a new console if there aren't exclusives ...?
An instant library of games for $10/month and most current gen games will look and perform better. New games will scale up to the new hardware.

Why does anyone ever upgrade their gaming PC? I don't think they do it for exclusives.

Kingsora

May 19, 2018
An instant library of games for $10/month and most current gen games will look and perform better. New games will scale up to the new hardware.

Why does anyone ever upgrade their gaming PC? I don't think they do it for exclusives.
Most of the PC gamers can be called hardcore. A more casual gamer that plays a handful of games each year won't play on PC, let even alone bother to upgrade gaming PC.

And you say current gen games will look better. Absolutely, they will. But are most people going to care to buy a new console to see a better looking performance of their old games or games that they already can play without giving away a lot of money? I won't and I think a lot of gamers are going to have the same opinion as me.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Xbox fans always talked about how amazing Sunset Overdrive was and that was within first year of the consoles launch.

I do find it funny how all of a sudden for the first generation ever, we are questioning whether a new console should have exclusives or not.

PS4 had a bad launch year for exclusives, the lesson learned should be do it better next time and not give up next generation launch exclusives.

PapaJustify

Nov 3, 2017
Germany

PC games are better at scaling with all their graphical settings. So buying a new PC reallly makes a difference for older titles. Exclusives there are none, but a 7 yo PC is simply not able to play the newest titles properly.
There are also technical features that you cannot enjoy and that are exclusive to you upgrading your PC (DX12 required new Hardware, new Windows; Ray Tracing requires new hardware).

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
I don't care for MS's approach. I want to leave this gen behind as fast as possible. We'll get cross-gen games, no doubt. But I'm buying a next-gen console to get a truly next-gen experience. No launch game will fully utilize the power of these upcoming beasts, but that doesn't mean they can't at least do something completely impossible on current-gen. The official reveals are so close now...

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Did you skip PS4 Pro or Xbox One X? I only got an X—I swear to God—because I wanted to play multiplatform games again (my PS4 was home and I was on travel assignment with only a Switch) and I wanted to play Mass Effect 2&3 on a modern console.

I was so pro-Sony, but it turns out, it was for stuff like Persona, Ys, and some other quirky Japanese things (and indies.) I want Trails of Cold Steel 3, Nioh 2, and FFVII:R from PlayStation and that's all.

And now Phantasy Star Online is coming to Xbox? What planet is this? And the Yakuza games are coming to GamePass? All the FFs?

To the extent I'm an Xbox fan, it's mostly because of GamePass. I've tried so many things I never would have otherwise.

If Sony put out skateboarding, snowboarding, or something less middle-aged-white-dudes-are-fathers-now type games, I'm sure I'd be right back in that camp again.

All that is beside the point, though. Because there won't be great Sony exclusives till 2021—probably late 2021.

I got a Pro but skipped the X (skipped Xbox altogether this gen) The Pro wasn't a new generation though, so knew what I was getting into with that, I just wanted to play current games with better performance and resolution for my 4k TV.

Game Pass is really good, I have it on PC. It is great for trying new things and good value. I will get it on Xbox, if I eventually buy a Series X, because it means I can save more money for PS5 and Switch games.

While early exclusives are not always the best, they can still be good and worth playing and if Bluepoint's Demon's Souls Remake is real and makes launch day, there might actually be a really great day 1 exclusive on PS5.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
We mainly buy consoles for 3rd party games, early on anyways. But the exclusives have always been a good reason to buy one console over the other.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
This narrative makes me feel like I'm in upside down world. If the Demon Souls remake comes in or whatever Bluepoint is making at launch that's a selling point.

The PS5 with just crossgen games for a year would be significantly less hyped. Seeing devs unleashed is what I'm here for, 7 years of these consoles it's okay for devs to move on from them. PS4 is going to have a banger year, so it's not like people are being left behind.

Why not try to push the system and set the tone for what next gen is?

Hoping the devs toiling away at next gen exclusives are reading this and are excited to show us what a new gen can bring; I think we're underestimating them.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Launch hardware tends to have issues and the system OS is usually barebones compared to its predecessor. If I didn't have exclusives to look forward to then I would just wait it out and let those that don't care about exclusives be beta testers.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Probably not. I plan on getting both eventually, but I only really need one of them at launch. Well, if Nintendo releases Zelda this fall I'll probably buy neither system at launch.

Anyways, I felt really burned buying into a PS4 early last gen when I didn't really even enjoy a game on it until Dragon Age the following year. I'm probably going to wait for the launch hype to die out and pick one up when a decent library accumulates.

Last gen cycle I got all caught up in the message board hype of PS4 being the better system, but when Titanfall came out on Xbox One I was kicking myself for not choosing an Xbox after I played it at my friends. I am going to be more smart about my approach this time and buy the system that is better for me, and not the one the message boards are most hyped about.

I ended up enjoying games on all systems this gen. I mostly bought into PS4 for the Persona 5 hype, but after I beat that nothing really got me anymore. For PS5 and XSX, I want to not even consider buying one until the games I want are out and substantially improved over current system versions.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't bought a console on release day in ages now. I wait until there's at least a few exclusives that I really want to play.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I would also say given MS's naming strategy and lack of exclusives at launch, less informed people may make the mistake in thinking Series X is just a console revision. Exclusives on a new numbered console is much easier advertising.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
In my head, the problem isn't that value is lost, it's that no value is gained by having the new systems.
Especially if the games themselves are a cross-gen purchase*, like would make sense for at least Xbox to do. I can get the game and play it on my current system, then when something exclusive does come out, I can get the new system and then all my cross-gen games just get magically upgraded.

*Huge assumption based only on the direction Microsoft seems to be heading with the phone-style "sliding window of compatibility" kind of hardware.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like some people will still buy them for COD even with BC. Having exclusives would just allow them to decide which console to choose now that it has cross play.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Yes. Twilight Princess and BotW have done wonders for Nintendo. New Super fucking Mario Bros. pretty much set the meh precedent for the WiiU.

PS4's and Xbox's initial line ups were the bare minimum of okay , but what made it abysmal for a lot of was the lack of a good "system seller". And no. No amount of talk will convince me that Killzone or Ryse where that for their respective systems

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
No. You're saying this year will be different than every other PlayStation launch. With zero proof.

Don't be obtuse. You don't need proof for this. It's common sense. History isn't inherently cyclical nor does it repeat itself. Unless there's some new found law of physics that has just recently been discovered that I don't know about.

History doesn't guarantee future performance, but it's vastly better than arguing against history with absolutely zero evidence to back it up. You're right. I haven't seen a single exclusive for next gen, but neither have you. What I know is that this is the same damned argument made for the last two PlayStation launches that just wasn't backed up by reality.

What argument exactly?

That history doesn't repeat itself?

That first party next-gen exclusives at launch don't need to be GoTY to be worthwhile?

It's not really clear what you're arguing here because it seems you're insisting on arguing a strawman that "Sony needs to produce a BoTW-tier game at launch in order to prove that next-gen exclusives are worthwhile". It's an absurd, incoherent and frankly untenable position that I have no idea why you're continuing to die on this hill.

There is no reason to believe exclusive PS5 games will make a damned bit of difference within the first year or more. I say they won't based on history.

Really?!? No reason at all?

Even that every single Playstation launch bar one has outsold the competition and gone on to allow them to absolutely dominate the market, following a launch that included first and third party games exclusive to PS and exclusive to the new generation of hardware.

In fact, given that not a single console had launched to date without any new console gen exclusive games (except Stadia and see how that turned out), it seems precisely the opposite of what you're trying to argue is in fact true...

...i.e. there is simply no logical or rational reason to believe that next-gen exclusive games don't contribute significantly to the success of a new generation console.

You say they might based on the exact same hype cycle we've already seen so many times that hasn't accurately reflected reality.

I don't understand what this sentence is trying to communicate.

Also, I'm not arguing that Microsoft has been much stronger with new console generations. Halo was an interesting launch game, but I don't recall anything like that for the Xbox360 and certainly nothing jawdropping for the Xbox One.

The point is, it doesn't matter how you or I assess the subjective quality of launch games for any historical console. The fact is the importance of having next-gen exclusive launch games is proven by history because only one platform has dared launch without them, i.e. Stadia, and it was an unmitigated disaster of a launch.

OP
OP
Butt-shot Katana
Dec 14, 2017
Don't be obtuse. You don't need proof for this. It's common sense. History isn't inherently cyclical nor does it repeat itself. Unless there's some new found law of physics that has just recently been discovered that I don't know about.

What argument exactly?

That history doesn't repeat itself?

That first party next-gen exclusives at launch don't need to be GoTY to be worthwhile?

It's not really clear what you're arguing here because it seems you're insisting on arguing a strawman that "Sony needs to produce a BoTW-tier game at launch in order to prove that next-gen exclusives are worthwhile". It's an absurd, incoherent and frankly untenable position that I have no idea why you're continuing to die on this hill.

Really?!? No reason at all?

Even that every single Playstation launch bar one has outsold the competition and gone on to allow them to absolutely dominate the market, following a launch that included first and third party games exclusive to PS and exclusive to the new generation of hardware.

In fact, given that not a single console had launched to date without any new console gen exclusive games (except Stadia and see how that turned out), it seems precisely the opposite of what you're trying to argue is in fact true...

...i.e. there is simply no logical or rational reason to believe that next-gen exclusive games don't contribute significantly to the success of a new generation console.

I don't understand what this sentence is trying to communicate.

The point is, it doesn't matter how you or I assess the subjective quality of launch games for any historical console. The fact is the importance of having next-gen exclusive launch games is proven by history because only one platform has dared launch without them, i.e. Stadia, and it was an unmitigated disaster of a launch.
Stadia is correlation, but is it causation?

Microsoft and its studios will release new games at launch that won't be available on PlayStation. Nothing was released for Stadia that wasn't available earlier for less money on a more proven model. That's a lot more complicated than simply not having platform exclusives.

History has and does repeat itself often when conditions are similar. The PS3 launch flub came when PlayStation was ascendant in the previous generation. As the generation went on, they went from being the company that was trying to prove itself to the company that dragged its feet on crossplay, dropped most initiatives with Indies, and money-hatted franchises the same way Microsoft had the previous generation.

Stadia's lack of exclusives is more extensive than Microsoft's, and they did streaming-only with what was exactly NOT a GamePass situation.

If I buy a PS5, it'll be two or three years in when the exclusives aren't tech demos anymore. I'll buy a Series X as soon as I want shinier versions of multiplats and to keep access to GamePass.

Let's see what's coming at launch. I'm prepared to be underwhelmed.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If the games are the same either way then no, doesn't hurt the consumers at all. I would love to only have to buy a single box that plays all games. That's why I have always thought Nintendo going 3rd party would be awesome.

Would probably hurt the companies who make the boxes (and the games) though.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
The same reason why people upgrade there PCs.
That would be when there's a new console gen and the minimum requirements go up. Or to get higher fps/framerate/settings.

:/ RIP new generations. Imagine how many games on iOS actually push the latest devices and are backwards compatible because the userbase is higher.

Consoles used to force minimum specs to go up on PC too, a new standard. If that's gone, then well, that sucks. We're only on the 3rd gen of 3D games in all of history and we're already slowing down progress.

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
Don't care at all if there aren't any first year exclusives. I'm buying PS5 day one for the fast loading. Doesn't matter if the games look the same or if there's no gameplay innovations. I just want as close to zero loading screens (and hidden loading screens) as possible.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
PC and Switch will keep me busy until PS5 Slim is possibly announced. I always get the Slim since PS2.
Currently not interested in X but in a couple of years,who knows how I'll feel.
So for me even in this reality, no purchase at launch.

OP
OP
Butt-shot Katana
Dec 14, 2017
PC and Switch will keep me busy until PS5 Slim is possibly announced. I always get the Slim since PS2.
Currently not interested in X but in a couple of years,who knows how I'll feel.
So for me even in this reality, no purchase at launch.
Are you game for an improved Switch ofnit comes soon?

GamePass is the killer deal for me that will likely keep me on Xbox going forward. It's funny, because I have zero friends on the platform, but I'm a writer and wouldn't have time for "game-as-a-job" stuff like Destiny or The Division.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
There would be no reason to buy either, which would probably hurt Sony more than Microsoft.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I think you will be good next gen: if you're a little patient you can get Cyberpunk. Or you can pickup updated versions of TLoU2 and GoT. Then there's the BluePoint game which is more or less a confirmed PS5 exclusive. Or you can pickup AC again.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Doesn't matter to me. Halo Infinit is cross gen, and I will be holding off on TLOU2,FFVII, and GOT until I upgrade to PS5. I doubt there will be a launch game I play over those 3 this November. And, Xbox isn't having exclusive games so. I could do without exclusive launch games this go round and be completely fine.

OP
OP
Butt-shot Katana
Dec 14, 2017
I think you will be good next gen: if you're a little patient you can get Cyberpunk. Or you can pickup updated versions of TLoU2 and GoT. Then there's the BluePoint game which is more or less a confirmed PS5 exclusive. Or you can pickup AC again.
Of those, I'm only interested in Cyberpunk, and they've already said they don't have plans to release on next gen.

Andalusia

Alt Account
Sep 26, 2019
I usually hold off on jumping into next gen until their is at least one amazing killer app that can only be played on next gen systems. And even then I usually get burned since after I'm done with it I find myself waiting quite a while for the next one.

So if Sony or Microsoft want me to adopt early then yeah they need quality next gen exclusives and quickly.

Swarming1182

Jan 14, 2018
I'm not fussed. I'm leaning towards the Xbox One X for the huge back catalogue, neat design, and insane power for 4K60FPS gameplay. But I've been a Playstation user since the PS3 so I'm interested in the PS5 as well of course. I don't care if the games are available on my current PS4, it's basically just a significant PC upgrade for me.

Oct 27, 2017
You need something that shows off the power of your new console. Without that, I don't know why anyone in their right mind should buy in.

That said this gen is a little different because of the backwards compatibility these machines are supposed to have. If they offer performance bumps for old games it might be enough to tide people over until they get some games that can showcase what their new consoles can do.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Unless one of those exclusives is Spider-man 2 then no

None of Sony's first party stuff interests me and I think Xbox and PS5 third party games are going to look absolutely stunning and run amazing.

Let all the exclusives bake another year for all the care they need.