• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that the PS5 cannot output at 1440p is downright embarrassing. But what can the customer do to get them to change their stance? I get it, not buying the console is 1 option, but is there a public campaign where we can put some pressure on Playstation to make it so? What are the twitter handles we should be using? is it even worth our time?

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Tough to make a public campaign for something that affects a very small minority. Ultimately this isn't available right now because of prioritisation, all you can do is keep asking until it happens. I'm pretty confident this feature will appear relatively soon when you look at the progress of the PS4 OS since 2013, it's just not a critical launch feature to them.

I think people should be a bit tolerant that these launches are a bit hot in some respects. Things you'd expect to be there are missing on both consoles - Sony more on the firmware end and Microsoft more on the software end. Obviously for those who want a given feature to be supported the uncertainty is the real frustration rather than the omission.

Älg

Banned
May 13, 2018
What incentive does Sony have to cater to a group that makes up like 0.00001% of their target audience. Does anyone outside niche gaming forums even care about this?

SDR-UK

Oct 27, 2017
Nope.

The hashtag would immediately get hijacked by fanboys and spread FUD about how the PS5 is only capable of 1440p rendering.

Last edited:

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Anyone with a 1440p monitor could just provide feedback. Same with the ALLM and VRR stuff.

I'd say the most glaring omission is not being able to copy ps5 games to external drives.

fl1ppyB

Jun 11, 2018
I would just like an available 1440p mode with all the goodies. Like in Spider-Man, give me 1440p 60fps, ray-tracing, or nearest possible.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope.

The hashtag would immediately get hijacked by fanboys and spread FUD about how the PS4 is only capable of 1440p rendering.
Stop fucking warring and casting aspersions against people for one god damn minute. It is so fucking tiersome

OP. No. Not at this time. If Sony figure out that to coax PC gamers into their console market maybe. People do use their desktop monitor so possibly

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
What incentive does Sony have to cater to a group that makes up like 0.00001% of their target audience. Does anyone outside niche gaming forums even care about this?

A lot of people use monitors. And 1440p is common.
Way more than people with 8K displays which they've promised to support.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
No because basically nobody outside ResetEra and other hardcore communities care about 1440p.

GronkyKong

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"downright embarrassing" give over with the hyperbole.

1440 is a niche within the niche of PC gaming, like the optical cable a miniscule number of people will use 1440p monitors for consoles. A huge majority will be on 1080p or 4k televisions. Therefore it straight up isn't worth the time implementing.

Tiny Hawk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Always worth to submit that feedback to them through their official channels. Don't think the hashtag is super necessary though.

MetalKhaos

Oct 31, 2017
I'd honestly like a 1440p mode, this way I could just use my monitor for more twitchy games, especially anything supporting 120fps. So mainly FPS games or fighters.

Anything else I'm fine with my tv.

Oct 24, 2019
No, because an extremely small group of people would actually be affected by that, let alone care enough about that to campaign for it

convo

Oct 25, 2017
I play on a pc monitor at 1080p and i wouldn't upgrade to a 1440p one if i had the chance to, i'd go straigt to 4k. The arbitrariness of resolutions or people's preferences for fps that go from 120fps to 144fps or even 360fps, i see a break in a pattern. Why 144? What's the rhyme or reason? These things do exist though, i don't know why, but the people who have it should demand it if there's no technical reason that would stop implementation.
VRR is a thing i fully see needs to be implemented on the other hand, and demands do work if PSN name changes can happen after years.

Älg

Banned
May 13, 2018

This just isn't true. The people that will plug their PS5s into a PC monitor is a tiny, tiny minority of all users, and in that tiny group only a few percent use 1440p monitors.

True, but just like 4K is the standard now, 8K will surely be the standard in the future. It's a matter of future proofing. That can't be said about 1440p.

8K is also a good marketing gimmick.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Given the percentage of people who own one, I'm not really sure. Don't most users on steam play at 1080p? I do think 1440p will be a lot more popular this coming gen, so support will eventually come.

OP
OP
UF_C

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
No because basically nobody outside ResetEra and other hardcore communities care about 1440p.
But, don't you think that the number of users is so low because it hasn't been available or even an option for their previous consoles? I think that more folks would use their 1440p monitors if the games would output in 1440p. Maybe I am wrong.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
I would just like an available 1440p mode with all the goodies. Like in Spider-Man, give me 1440p 60fps, ray-tracing, or nearest possible.
That wouldn't solve the issue for 1440p users at all though because it would still be downsampled to 1080p and then upscaled to 1440p by the monitor's scaler.

Also, that's on the dev's anyway.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
67% 1080p, 6% 1440p on the Steam hardware survey.
So it's likely an even smaller percentage that use a monitor for their console, at least at 1440p. I do think 1440p high refresh monitors will become more popular though, especially if they are priced right. It be an easy way to experience high refresh gaming, without having to buy an expensive 4k 120hz tv.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe, idk. Just seems like one of those things that may or may not drop with little to no fanfare, like on Xbox. I'm all for it. PS5 should be able to display downsampled 4k at 1440p output. I'm not convinced in the slightest that this would be any more than a simple and minute endeavor for Sony's console engineers to achieve, and besides... it would be far from the first time that a console included a feature that only really applied to 'a tiny niche' just because it'd give it's username more options... so all of the excuses flying around to justify its absence don't really jive with me anyway.

The only great excuse I can think of, and it's one I already accept and understand, is that PS5 will have been finalized and launched during a global pandemic, so I can understand the options at launch being a bit lackluster compared to where I expect the PS5 to be one year from now. I've got faith in Sony here, I think 1440p is coming, and while it's a shame it's not here now, I think Sony will prove the doubters wrong where this feature is concerned

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
how many 1440p TVs exist?
Why do people keep saying this shit.

A lot of HDMI 2.0 TVs support 1440p. With HDMI 2.0, you can do 120hz at 1440p. If the PS5 doesn't support 1440p, the resolution for 120hz games drops all the way down to 1080p. It does matter.

Last edited:

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
why do some of y'all act like asking for a 1440p option is such a big deal? You'd think it was some ridiculously hard thing for sony to enable.

Deleted member 76797

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
So it's likely an even smaller percentage that use a monitor for their console, at least at 1440p. I do think 1440p high refresh monitors will become more popular though, especially if they are priced right. It be an easy way to experience high refresh gaming, without having to buy an expensive 4k 120hz tv.

1440p / 144 fps monitors are already pretty cheap

RedSpring

Aug 23, 2020
Yes, and Sony need to support it. People are saying 1440p is a small segment but it still a thousand time larger than 4k 120fps users that ps5 support.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
8k is just a bullet point with a bit of future proofing. The percentage of PS5 owners gaming on a 1440p monitor is, and always will be a tiny minority.

Oct 31, 2017
I mean the Xbox One even offered that ouput last gen. I like being able to switch between my consoles and PC, all from one setup. Giving people that option shouldn't be a big deal.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Maybe, maybe not. I'm not convinced it's worth adding niche intermediate targets which are are useless on TVs. It's more things to test, more handshake issues in the hdmi transceiver firmware. I want them to work on more important things, this should be very low on their list.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Xbox One supported it last-gen, Sony have said they'll consider adding 1440p, why are folks downplaying folks that have a legit want/need for the resolution to be supported?

Oct 27, 2017
Why do people keep saying this shit.

A lot of HDMI 2.0 TVs support 1440p. With HDMI 2.0, you can do 120hz at 1440p. If the PS4 doesn't support 1440p, the resolution for 120hz games drops all the way down to 1080p. It does matter.

Yup. Won't stop the train of "they don't even sell 1440p TVs dur".

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Its already been said, but the 1440p representation for the Steam hardware survey is actually pretty large if you consider the prevalence of net cafes and laptops in the data!

Kotze282

Oct 27, 2017
Can we finally stop it with the "there is next to no demand" answers now? Sony has said that it would be "no technical problem at all" to implement, so IT DOES NOT MATTER HOW LITTLE OF A MINORITY IT IS, there is still demand for something they just need to enable. God, the defense force is really annoying.

Source

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I have to imagine this is probably something already on their docket and it just didn't make it for launch.