• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Sep 14, 2018
arc.jpg

https://screenrant.com/wizards-coast-archetype-entertainment-science-fiction-rpg-platforms/

https://www.archetype-entertainment.com/

The announcement of a video game studio owned by Wizards of the Coast was made last year when it was revealed that veteran designer James Ohlen would be in charge and that he would be working on something that wasn't associated with Dungeons & Dragons or Magic: The Gathering, which are the two biggest properties associated with the company.

Ohlen worked for Bioware for twenty-two years and was the lead designer/creative designer on such classic games as Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn, Neverwinter Nights, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Dragon Age: Origins, and Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Seems like a lot of potential for success, they have a very clear vision going by their website. And more RPG studios are always a good thing in my book.
This is WotC though, so the possibility of stupidity ruining everything is there.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
I just hope the KOTOR/TOR experience leads to a scifi RPG with aliens in it, because the number of big budget scifi RPG franchises with aliens in them is 2-3, tops.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
From Pillars of Eternity to Divinity OS to Elder's Scrolls to Dragon Age to The Witcher etc etc... are all based on fantasy genre. On consoles, IIRC, the only well known sci-fi RPGs are Mass Effect, Deus Ex and Fallout (perhaps Mutant Year Zero is a nominee too). There is a real dearth in the sci-fi genre and it is such a god damn shame.

So, I hope, that this turns out well.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Please tell me it has some mass effect vibes
Look at the team and you should get a picture of what's in store 🙃

James Ohlen at the helm (veteran lead from Baldur's Gate, NWM, KOTOR, DAO), Drew Karpyshan writing, Tal Peleg on animation (U4, TLOU, Anthem - dude's a wizard) and a lot more veteran talent.

Megamind.

Nov 18, 2019
Look at the team and you should get a picture of what's in store 🙃

James Ohlen at the helm (veteran lead from Baldur's Gate, NWM, KOTOR, DAO), Drew Karpyshan writing, Tal Peleg on animation (U4, TLOU, Anthem - dude's a wizard) and a lot more veteran talent.

Very exciting team indeed. I love sci-fi games and I feel we need more of them. We do need a sci-fi game in the vein of mass effect IMO.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
I am always down for more sci-fi RPGs. Here's hoping the game turns out to be something amazing.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I can't think of a single isometric proper sci-fi RPG esp. on consoles. Mutant comes close though:

& Wasteland 2/3:

Shadowrun trilogy.

There were a bunch of ARPGs. There's the recent Warhammer 40 K Inquisitor one, but
before that there was that Diablo clone, Harbinger. It actually had a really solid story,and and creepy atmosphere, but the gameplay was... not great.

Oh, there's also Paranoia: Happiness is Mandatory that came out late last year. But it got buried in obscurity, because it was an EGS release.

I've been looking at Element Space on Steam, but haven't taken the plunge yet, because I keep hoping it'll come to GOG. Insomnia: The Ark IS an isometric sci-fi RPG that recently came to GOG, but I haven't played it yet.

They are out there. They just haven't had a smash hit yet. In general though, a lot of devs prefer to do post-apoc instead of straight-up sci-fi

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina
Man, the team being put together here is insane.

It's so weird that WotC is the company that put this team together, though, unless it's specifically for a branded-project, like Spelljammer

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
Not sure why 'isometric' is being thrown around here.
Probably because people think it's cheaper, it's not clear what type of budget they've got, and that is after all how Bioware got started. We will see but yeah they haven't specified. I'm more interested in knowing if this will follow the "party" model that Bioware is famous for.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Man, what I would not give for well written, deeply customizable and beautiful sci-fi isometric wrpg but I do not see any indication of the type of View/Perspective the game will use.

Well with Baldur's Gate 3 actually being a thing I'm hopeful for a cRPG but I wouldn't be disappointed at a more traditional RPG of today. Sci-fi RPGs are sadly too few in number.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Always got time for WotC. I know it's not Sci-Fi, but I would appreciate them doing something with Talisman (I legit would dig a Talisman Battle Royale game).

Dec 17, 2017
Always got time for WotC. I know it's not Sci-Fi, but I would appreciate them doing something with Talisman (I legit would dig a Talisman Battle Royale game).
Unless there's another Talisman I don't know about, Talisman isn't a WOTC IP.

OT - this is 99.9% likely to be Spelljammer, as mentioned earlier in the thread.