• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
People are mistaking boring and simple with worst.

These are boring or simple.
Official_cover_art_for_Bioshock_Infinite.jpg
Cyberpunk_2077_box_art.jpg
TLOU_P2_Box_Art_2.png

Uncharted_4_box_artwork.jpg
Death_Stranding.jpg
Spider-Man_PS4_cover.jpg

These are worst

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
The issue is not them trying to make it look realistic instead of anime. It's just badly drawn. Like the person that did it did not know how to draw at all. It looks like fan art you used to see in 90's gaming magazine with bad proportions and all.

I disagree.

d3dccf401c36c0f9632c23c719eb80f6.jpg

Whoever did that American Megaman cover had SOME artistic ability. Look past shitty gun holding Megaman to the castle in the background and the explosions as well as the palm trees...
There's some technique in the coloring (either colored pencil or watercolor) going on. Also look at Megaman's face. There's principles of proper shading and lighting being applied. There's plenty of evidence that whoever did the horrid American box art had artistic skill above the level of what I expect out of someone that doesn't know how to draw.

Now it's completely the wrong style for the game and it's awful looking, and the worst box art of all time, but I've seen some of the MS Paint creations Resetera has made in the past...and I don't believe 80% of the forum could have made more competent art...

Last edited:

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I disagree.
Whoever did that American Megaman cover had SOME artistic ability. Look past shitty gun holding Megaman to the castle in the background and the explosions as well as the palm trees...
There's some technique in the coloring (either colored pencil or watercolor) going on. Also look at Megaman's face. There's principles of proper shading and lighting being applied. There's plenty of evidence that whoever did the horrid American box art had artistic skill above the level of what I expect out of someone that doesn't know how to draw.
But look at megaman body. Its horrendous

TheJollyCorner

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017

LAWD!

GameTEK Office Manager: "I've been instructed that our office needs to come up with a new cover for... *looks at fax* Super Street Fighter II Turbo."
GameTEK Secretary: "Sir, we... don't have any artists here."
GameTEK Office Manager: "Get Jeremy from Accounting. It stated on his resume that he won a drawing competition for the North Miami Beach Zoo in the 7th grade!"
GameTEK Secretary: "Yes sir!"

Manu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I said it before but the worst thing about BioShock Infinite's boxart is that it's not just generic, it's misleading.

6c74c638595c0ea3c8a7c2fbcb179e73.png

This is what Booker looks like in the game. Much more cartoony and stylized than the box art.

It's like they were ashamed of their own artstyle or something.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
last time we had this thread someone posted an old game, might have been Amiga, Commadore 64, or maybe DOS of so charcter that was a ball with a face, arms, and legs, like a Pac Man with a more realistic face. But it was rendered in all flesh tone so it looked like an anthropomorphic testicle. I can't remember the name though.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
Breath of Fire games never did great with covers until BoF4. The cover arts never looked like their in-game avatars. Note the distinct addition of Enraged Saiyan eyes on the anthropomorphic characters.
cover_large.jpg

That was so "great" they decided to follow it up with the exact same background style for part 2:

Breathoffire2_box.jpg

This time, the characters have actual eyes for the most part, but Nina looks like a damn harpy, and everyone else looks stripped straight out of a Conan knockoff. Their don't look anywhere near this menacing in-game.

And I don't even know what happened with BoFIII. They just said "Screw it, fire is cool." They even shot the old branding away.

266978-breath-of-fire-iii-playstation-front-cover.jpg

BoF IV finally got it right by using character art closely resembling the in-game models.

Gots

Feb 20, 2019
Canada
I've always disliked the NA cover art for Bloodborne. Not the worst ever but the cover for such a great game should have something more stylish

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
So I decided to run my monthly search on Phalanx to see if people were complaining about the American Cover Art for again, and lo and behold I find this thread.

So here's everyone's monthly reminder that the Japanese cover art for Phalanx is literally a Flying Space Penis.

503952-phalanx-snes-front-cover.jpg

It's a 90's Shmup, a category of games infamous for being filled to the brim with sexual innuendo. The name combined with the ship design betrays any attempt at plausible deniability. Phalanx, Phallus.

The "official" story about it being changed to stand out was Face-Saving PR Fluff. It was changed because there was no way in hell Nintendo of America was letting that get on store shelves with Nintendo's branding on it.

virtua_44

Jan 16, 2019
Sure spiderman and cyberpunk are minimalist and not that exciting, but can I call it one ofthe worst? Absolitely not. Maybr disappointing bc theyre recent games but idk in what universe theyre the worst.

BUT I will say that any cover thats just a closeup of somebodys face is always BAD. TLOU2, Gears 5, etc. Never works imo and Im not sure why we keep doing it. To show off how good our faces look? Youre not gonna impress me like that.

Oct 25, 2017
So I decided to run my monthly search on Phalanx to see if people were complaining about the American Cover Art for again, and lo and behold I find this thread.

So here's everyone's monthly reminder that the Japanese cover art for Phalanx is literally a Flying Space Penis.

503952-phalanx-snes-front-cover.jpg

It's a 90's Shmup, a category of games infamous for being filled to the brim with sexual innuendo. The name combined with the ship design betrays any attempt at plausible deniability. Phalanx, Phallus.

The "official" story about it being changed to stand out was Face-Saving PR Fluff. It was changed because there was no way in hell Nintendo of America was letting that get on store shelves with Nintendo's branding on it.
I'm green with envy.

Acetown

Oct 28, 2017
The American Symphony of the Night cover is pretty bad
castlevania-symphony-alkhz.jpg

Is that even Dracula's castle? It looks like a stock photo. Why would anyone want to buy this?
Compare that with the Japanese version which got an oil painting by Ayami Kojima.

Last edited:

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I think it has to be the Super Bust-a-Move baby because it was so prominent, obnoxious, and lined store shelves to the extent I wrote off the entire thing and didn't even know the franchise was Puzzle Bobble until years later. I sure wasn't looking at it long enough to see the screenshots in the sunglasses.

Made even more annoying by the Japanese box-art being super cute and featuring a weird Kermit

Super_Puzzle_Bobble_PS2_Cover.jpg

Noogy

Soloist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Colorado
I rented the PC-Engine version of this game prior to the US release and loved it (the rental came with the box as well). I was sooooo disappointed with this American cover, but not... really surprised?

It was hard being a TG-16/PC-Engine fan in the states. So many botched covers, when they assumed we weren't ready for anything that looked remotely anime.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I've never seen someone else complain about the stock "A bunch of characters on the box" thing but I also fucking hate it.
It's like that tired trend in movies and tv where there are so many posters that are just

strangerthingsposter.jpg
th
aladdin-disney-poster-full-1162578.jpeg
That's hardly new. The ST one in particular is deliberately aping the Drew Struzan style of poster very popular from the 70s to 90s.

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
I remember voting on the Bioshock Infinite cover. Can't remember where this was (maybe 2K Games site). Anyway there were 3 or 4 options and I didn't vote for that one. The one I voted for was of the city viewed from in the clouds, I think (it's been a while so I can't remember with any certainty).
So yeah, you should blame fans for the artwork. They voted for it.

Oct 27, 2017
The American Symphony of the Night cover is pretty bad
castlevania-symphony-alkhz.jpg

Is that even Dracula's castle? It looks like a stock photo. Why would anyone want to buy this?
Compare that with the Japanese version which got an oil painting by Ayami Kojima.
You know ,i actually like this box art. It gives off that "mysterious and omnimous castle" vibe.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have screenshots but I remember konami games were criticized for por cover art at some point, a few years before "Konami gave up on games" became a thing.