• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Axl : Mega Man X7.

They introduce the worst character in the franchise, make the main character forced to be unlocked and have said character's best friend support the shit new lead instead of his best friend.

I loathe this damn character.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
9o2HXfk.jpg

Without a doubt Lara Croft in Tomb Raider/Rise of the TR.

The voice acting, the writing... good lord what a shitfest lol

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
Asbel from Tales of Graces

You moron, you dumbass, you prick.

Yeah, my first impression of Asbel was that he was too naive, and I actually really liked Tales of Graces during the first act when everything around Asbel was crumbling until he had very little left. I though that this has the making of an interesting protagonist, somewhat similar to Luke.

Everything after the first act I had no idea how to follow. He doubled down on his dumb decisions and somehow creates a vortex that takes the games' plot with it.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
Shadow of the Tomb Raider is on PS+ so I checked it out and I strongly dislike Lara. It's both the way the character is written and the way her performance is delivered. She was just as bad in the first game (never played the second one). I don't think she has any redeemable qualities and can only hope the series goes away for a while and gets a fresh start without her.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Corrin's not silent....at least in my game he isnt (Currently playing FE Fates lol).

I mis read the thread title lmao

But ya, some of the actions of Corrin were mind boggling. I'm playing Birthright now and the fact that he was okay fighting against the people who he lived with most of his life and just went along with the opposite nation is just lol.
I thought Corrin was OK since he/she simply tried to find the best solution without harming anyone even if it was dumb that they would still try to please the evil father... But I only played Conquest so maybe it's just that the character was handled better there?
--

My choice would be this guy for sure. I don't have a problem with selfish characters played for laughs since I like Wario, but this guy was sexist, manipulative and just made everyone around him miserable without any hint of redemption. The first game was OK, but by the second one I couldn't stand him. One of the few game characters that managed to make me angry.
mXuBhrAovCeUPBPbfqyfbkWjFnfC0uGu.png

I'm guessing they probably set him up being a horrible person so he could redeem himself by the third entry, but the way the second one ended didn't make it seem like he was worth it.

Last edited:

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Corrin's not silent....at least in my game he isnt (Currently playing FE Fates lol).

I mis read the thread title lmao

But ya, some of the actions of Corrin were mind boggling. I'm playing Birthright now and the fact that he was okay fighting against the people who he lived with most of his life and just went along with the opposite nation is just lol.

If you think that's bad, play Conquest. Birthright is the least bad route in terms of plot.

I thought Corrin was OK since he/she simply tried to find the best solution without harming anyone even if it was dumb that they would still try to please the evil father... But I only played Conquest so maybe it's just that the character was handled better there?

This is what I mean though. Dude/tte is leading an invasion for evil king into a peaceful country for no reason, but the game has to justify it somehow because Corrin is supposed to be the player, so it goes... no one was actually killed! The enemy soldiers just "fainted"!

Top that off with how Corrin laments how the mean Hoshidans just don't understand he's conquering them for their own good or something.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni

I got all three - started with Birthright literally two days ago lol

I'm not worried about the story but moreso about the description of Conquest where it says there's less chances of character development compared to Birthright....does that mean I cant train/grind as much or there's less interactions in between chapters?

If you think that's bad, play Conquest. Birthright is the least bad route in terms of plot.

I dont doubt that lol

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Watch_Dogs is the worst superhero origin story ever told. That the game expects you to cheer and clap for Aiden as "The Vigilante" and root for his appearance in a sequel is too much to handle. The ending is a cliffhanger that would imply the sequels to continue his adventure, but he was such a failure that absolutely no one was surprised when Watch_Dogs 2 went a completely different direction.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I heavily disagree. Cole Phelps is a fascinating character study for translating film noir tropes to a video game. Film noir is a subgenre defined by leads and supporting casts just as flawed as the villains, if not moreso. Their control over their own lives pales in comparison to your typical lead in fiction, with avoidable complications in the story often being the result of their own vices, as opposed to actions of the antagonist personally impacting them.

How then, do you turn a film noir lead into a video game character, a medium where characters are often only as flawed as the player controlling them? Simply put, you redefine the agency of the player and their relationship to the player character. Are you Cole Phelps? No, not really. When you're in control, he can be the ultimate detective, solving cases left and write and nailing perps with ease.

You're directing Cole Phelps to solve cases and push the narrative forward, but ultimately his actions when he's off the clock aren't your own. Him being a flawless investigator doesn't detract from the fact that he's a shitty person, and that's part of what makes him such a compelling protagonist.

(Major story spoilers are tagged)

Cole is a remarkably open-minded man for a white cop in the 40's, but he's also an adulterer, glory hound, and coward, who accepted a silver star simply for living through the Battle of Okinawa. This, in spite of having also gotten nearly three dozen friendlies killed on his watch due to aforementioned glory hound tendencies. While the other survivors of his unit got to take home horrific trauma from the slaughter, Cole got a medal. It's not until his life comes crashing down after his adultery is exposed during the Vice desk that Cole starts to turn his attention towards seeking actual justice, rather than inflating his own ego. Prior to that, his motivations align with that of the player: get the perfect ratings and earn those desk promotions.

That side of Phelps is one you're distant to as the player, and learn over the course of the story as you see him develop as a character when you're not in control of him. He's a fundamentally, deeply flawed man (the definition of the film noir lead) without falling into genre clichés, like being an outrageously racist, anti-Semitic, or misogynistic prick.

Frankly, the fact that Cole dies midway through the Arson desk is one of the most shocking moments in the story, and all too fitting for his arc. Putting the last pieces of the story together as Kelso, another survivor of his unit at Okinawa, really puts into perspective just how little you as the player knew about the lead.

This is some good shit.

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018
I do think that Ubisoft has a big problem the first time they try to do characters in some of their franchises. Altais was more subdue, and change a ton after the first game evety time he appeared, but he had basically the same problems as Aiden.

The are so similar Ubisoft always has to oversteer and make the sequels have a more comedic protagonist. Like Ezio and Marcus.

I dont know but somebody there really likes the stoic, zero personality, edgy protagonist and tries to force them always in their new franchises lol

At least Altair had an arc, you can argue if it was a good one, yet he went from being an A-hole to someone that softened during the course of the game and actually grew a fair bit. Aiden is just an A-hole thou.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
The Fallout 4 protagonist. Game got significantly more playable by installing a silent protagonist mod, not that it fixed the shit dialogue system.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I heavily disagree. Cole Phelps is a fascinating character study for translating film noir tropes to a video game. Film noir is a subgenre defined by leads and supporting casts just as flawed as the villains, if not moreso. Their control over their own lives pales in comparison to your typical lead in fiction, with avoidable complications in the story often being the result of their own vices, as opposed to actions of the antagonist personally impacting them.

How then, do you turn a film noir lead into a video game character, a medium where characters are often only as flawed as the player controlling them? Simply put, you redefine the agency of the player and their relationship to the player character. Are you Cole Phelps? No, not really. When you're in control, he can be the ultimate detective, solving cases left and write and nailing perps with ease.

You're directing Cole Phelps to solve cases and push the narrative forward, but ultimately his actions when he's off the clock aren't your own. Him being a flawless investigator doesn't detract from the fact that he's a shitty person, and that's part of what makes him such a compelling protagonist.

Cole is a remarkably open-minded man for a white cop in the 40's, but he's also an adulterer, glory hound, and coward, who accepted a silver star simply for living through the Battle of Okinawa. This, in spite of having also gotten nearly three dozen friendlies killed on his watch due to aforementioned glory hound tendencies. While the other survivors of his unit got to take home horrific trauma from the slaughter, Cole got a medal. It's not until his life comes crashing down after his adultery is exposed during the Vice desk that Cole starts to turn his attention towards seeking actual justice, rather than inflating his own ego. Prior to that, his motivations align with that of the player: get the perfect ratings and earn those desk promotions.

That side of Phelps is one you're distant to as the player, and learn over the course of the story as you see him develop as a character when you're not in control of him. He's a fundamentally, deeply flawed man (the definition of the film noir lead) without falling into genre clichés, like being an outrageously racist, anti-Semitic, or misogynistic prick.

Frankly, the fact that Cole dies midway through the Arson desk is one of the most shocking moments in the story, and all too fitting for his arc. Putting the last pieces of the story together as Kelso, another survivor of his unit at Okinawa, really puts into perspective just how little you as the player knew about the lead.

Well said. I don't LIKE Cole Phelps, but not because he's a poorly-written character. But rather, because he's a scumbag in a pretty understandable way.

I would've LOVED to see a sequel starring Kelso as a solo private eye.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
I got all three - started with Birthright literally two days ago lol

I'm not worried about the story but moreso about the description of Conquest where it says there's less chances of character development compared to Birthright....does that mean I cant train/grind as much or there's less interactions in between chapters?

I dont doubt that lol
Yeah, resources are limited in Conquest. Not TOO limited, but not infinite like in Birthright and Revelation. Unless you use the DLC maps for it. Then it's infinite again.

Also speaking of Corrin, I think they work the best for Revelation.
Basically, Corrin embraces being the lovable idiot that they are.

Starts off by flipping off both armies, follows Azura blindly as she suggests diving into a bottomless hole. Begins beating up both sides to recruit both sets of siblings and convince THEM to jump into that bottomless pit.

The trip to Valla goes like this. "Hi, I'm a new character and will totally not backstab you." They do. Ryoma and Xander laugh it off and basically tell Corrin that they're totally on board with being stupid since it's working. "We may have a mole." says Gunther out of nowhere. It's Gunther. Then you fight a dragon and everything is awesome.

Revelation Corrin is best Corrin is what I'm saying. Weaponizing their naivite and doing stupid things on purpose because, well, it worked once already, so why not keep at it? If Corin doesn't know what they're doing, they can't be predicted!

Readler

Oct 6, 2018

Spoilers for L.A. Noire and Touch of Evil.

I feel L.A. Noire tried a lot but failed, especially with Cole Phelps. My issue isn't that Cole is unlikable, or a bad person - so are Kratos and Joel, frankly - but he is a bad character, or at least one who was badly executed. It's been pretty much 10 years since I played it, so please do apologise for my possibly faulty recollection of the story.

I don't agree with the point that Cole is a great character because everything happens off-screen, I'd call that bad writing tbh. Cole is presented to the player as an over-ambitious goody two-shoes. Before his cheating, his only known flaw is his hunger for fame. We even see him calling out his peers for their adulterous behaviour, or for being crooked, and he makes it a point to position himself as the perfect detective.
Him getting with Elsa thus seems like a massive curveball; a twist for a twist's sake. His subsequent attempt at redemption, while indeed shocking, therefore seemed even less consequential as it was similary inconsistent with the character that we were presented. The off-screen, especially in that short of a time-period, is a stasis. Your character shouldn't change much, unless your world changes with them. We got none of that. What we got is a Daenerys: "actually they were bad all along", which fine, but your character didn't earn it. Cole's adultery and sacrifice, much like Dany's snap, just seemed lazy and rushed, instead of impactful.
Like I recently rewatched Touch of Evil: Orson Welles' character, even though an undoubtedly a shit crooked cop, earned his death, as he ultimately had good intentions. We feel for him, even though we shouldn't. Cole had the opposite effect.

Again, I don't mind the premise of a character who's nice from the inside, but ugly from the outside, I just feel like it was very poorly done. For a more recent example we have RDR's Dutch, who is similar that way. Or the guy from Spec Ops: The Line if we're talking protagonists.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
At least Altair had an arc, you can argue if it was a good one, yet he went from being an A-hole to someone that softened during the course of the game and actually grew a fair bit. Aiden is just an A-hole thou.
I dont think he grew anything in his original game, theres a supposed arc, but its badly accomplished and comes too late in the game, a game that has a mediocre ending, its every game after, starting from the flashbacks in AC2 (that are actually flashforwards for altair) the ones that showed Altair as a better character.

Last edited:

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018
I dont think he grew anything in his original game, theres a supposed arc, but its badly accomplished and comes too late in the game, a game that has a mediocre ending, its every game after, starting from the flashbacks in AC2 the ones that showed Altair as a better character.

It's been 12 + years since I play it yet there was a difference between who he was at the start and then who he became at the end of the first AC. Again you can argue if it worked but it's what the game want you to believe and as far as I remember it worked on me.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
Hmm, well there's a lot of games so it's hard to decide.

On the JRPG side yeah as others suggested Itsuki in TMS is pretty bad, although did he actually have any lines in the game. I thought he was a silent protag?
If he did have lines then i've erased them from my memory.

Also the game pulled a shit bait and switch by showing the main girl in all the ads and the first cutscene of the game; then suddenly it's like "lol she's a side piece".

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Cal Kestis is a recent one that comes to mind. Incredibly boring main character in a game with a pretty good supporting cast.

styl_oh

Fallen One-Winged Chicken Chaser
Nov 24, 2019
Alberta, Canada
Um... Wang (?) from Shadow Warrior doesn't really do it for me

the new Tomb Raider thing too. Couldn't believe how brutally, bizarrely bad the voice acting, writing and cutscene direction were

Hazmat

Banned
Dec 3, 2020
I have to go with Deacon from Days Gone followed by Aiden from Watch Dogs. Terrible characters.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
This annoying idiot hero from Suikoden Tierkreis.
latest

It should be silent-protagonist again... 😡

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rush Sykes from the Last Remnant.

Stupid name, constantly does dumb stuff, and he doesn't really fit in well with the tone and style of the rest of the cast. Lead character should have been the prince dude or something. He's like a Tales side character (think Karol from Vesperia) as a lead in an Ivalice style Final Fantasy story.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I'm currently playing Final Fantasy 7 remake and I don't necessarily think he's the worst EVER, but just want to say that Cloud is really rubbing me the wrong way. I'm 7 hours in and incredibly tired of his "too cool for school" bullshit. Every single remark feels like a repeat of the last. At first I was just "oh he's a complete dork who thinks he's a badass" but it is now actually getting annoying.

I have no history with the game or any of its characters (only played a few hours of the original) so I'm not sure if he's less or more annoying in the remake, but I'm hoping he turns into someone I actually care about along the way. We'll see.

Deacon from Days Gone starts off as incredibly unlikable but the more you play the more you either get used to it, or he changes. I'm not sure which. But yeah, whoever mentioned that his in-game attitude is different from the story cutscenes is dead on. It's weird.

Martylepiaf

Oct 25, 2017
France
Rex from Xenoblade 2, the game tried so much to make me think he's a hero and someone important but it felt so fake. He's like a random anime/light novel protagonist whose relationship with other is only defined by "that's how this character should interact with a main character".

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018

Cole Phelps is a fantstic character that deserves a game with a better main plot.

All his idealising and lecturing tends to fall flat when actually pushed on something. If you're the sort of person who needs a character to be quippy and fun then I can understand not liking him but that's the point. He's a realistic person. His faults are realistic and something a lot of people who consider themselves perfect have inside them.

He is one of my favourite game characters though I have a different opinion on LA Noirs story and execution as a whole.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Corrin's already been mentioned, so Rex from Xenoblade 2.

95% of the time, he's a generic, bland goody-two-shoes protagonist, his growth is negated by Xenoblade 2's ending, and the one time he's not generic, he's unbearable.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
images

Corrin Fire Emblem. Just awful. You can't have a morally questionable protagonist that's also a vehicle for player worship, because what happens is the plot implodes on itself trying to justify everything they do even when it's clearly wrong.
+1 Corrin is absolutely insufferable (along with the writing being shite) and why I don't think I could ever give Fates another chance.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
My worst three non-silent protagonists:

Ben Paul (The Walking Dead)... I've never wanted someone eliminated out of my party so badly in a game before.

ben.png

~~~~~

Rico Velasquez (Killzone 2)... To this day, the worst end boss fight I've endured was in this game listening to my sidekick's Rico's mouth the entire time.

2104012-169_killzone_3_cutscene_ps3_020411_sev_rico_high_ground.jpg

~~~~~

Negan Smith (Tekken 7)... Can you please just shut up? Please?

Tekken-7-Negan-2.jpg

nacimento

Oct 27, 2017
Connor from AC III, such a dumb guy. Should have been Haytham all the way (though the twist was great).

BigTime_2018

Dec 31, 2018
Shadow of the Tomb Raider is on PS+ so I checked it out and I strongly dislike Lara. It's both the way the character is written and the way her performance is delivered. She was just as bad in the first game (never played the second one). I don't think she has any redeemable qualities and can only hope the series goes away for a while and gets a fresh start without her.
I also downloaded Shadow of the Tomb Raider as part of PS Plus this month. Even though I'm enjoying it, I agree that Lara isn't a great character. She doesn't come across as human or have any distinguishable traits besides her dedication to the mission.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Diablo 3, if it counts, every line had a mix of arrogance, sociopathy and lack of compassion. And you're supposed to be the good guy!

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
The one that immediately pops into my mind is Deacon from Days Gone. Holy shit, I've never been so annoyed by a protagonist. He's just constantly talking to himself, psyching himself up, yelling at everyone and everything all the damn time. Every time he opened his mouth I just thought...

Will_You_Shut_Up_Man_Meme_Banner.jpg