• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
What is the worst videogame protagonist you have seen? and to make it more interesting let's exclude silent protagonist since those can be very boring but it'll be more interesting to see the ones that are just poorly done including their personality

For what I have played I'll personally go with Itsuki Aoi from Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, because he's just boring, has a really bland personality, most of the interesting stuff happens because of the other characters while he is just kind of there and overall he just kind of feels like a silent protagonist that was made an spoken one in the last minute, and it kind of annoys me how basically all the female characters fall in love with him in the side stories for very basic reasons, I get 1 or 2, but beyond that feels really forced. Some also have the theory that probably Tsubasa was going to be the main character but they changed it to Itsuki to have a male main character, if that was the case it sucks and they also did a half assed job, and all of that it's a shame since I really like Tokyo Mirage Sessions

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
What was the name of the kid from Tales of Symphonia 2? That asshole.

Some also have the theory that probably Tsubasa was going to be the main character but they changed it to Itsuki to have a male main character, if that was the case it sucks and they also did a half assed job, and all of that it's a shame since I really like Tokyo Mirage Sessions

If the protagonist is the focus of a bunch of harem nonsense, it seems unlikely that they originally planned for one of the girls to be the MC. Harem protagonists are just designed to be boring blank slates so guys can project themselves into the MC easier. Harem shit sucks.

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
Probs not the worst but desmond miles was the lack of characterization for the entire time I played AC as a series.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
unnamed_39.png

"Bobcat in your face!" "M.C. Bubster the pounce master in the game yeh!" "Gimmie, Gimmie, Gimmie!" "Remember: I am a trained purr-fessional."

Bubsy deserves every bit of misfortune he's received.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What was the name of the kid from Tales of Symphonia 2? That asshole.

If the protagonist is the focus of a bunch of harem nonsense, it seems unlikely that they originally planned for one of the girls to be the MC. Harem protagonists are just designed to be boring blank slates so guys can project themselves into the MC easier. Harem shit sucks.

His name is Emil and he is also my vote.

Lloyd Irving wasn't exactly a stellar piece of character writing but he was an endearing lughead who taught himself how to fight with two swords because if a sword had an attack power of 100 then two swords would have 200 and decided to make it his life's goal to end racism.

Emil is basically Shinji Ikari with a bog standard badass anime superpowered evil side and a teenage girl sidekick who constantly fawns over him despite not displaying a single positive personality trait.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
images

Corrin Fire Emblem. Just awful. You can't have a morally questionable protagonist that's also a vehicle for player worship, because what happens is the plot implodes on itself trying to justify everything they do even when it's clearly wrong.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Relatively few protagonists have genuinely ruined a game experience for me, but one that always stands out in my mind is Final Fantasy 10's Tidus. I couldn't stand the guy, and a large part of it was his English voice acting.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Edge in Star Ocean 4, it was really hard to play this game with him, and then they introduce Lymle....

Spoiler if you care about that

Oct 25, 2017
Watch_Dogs_Legion_Aiden_TowerBridge_PostLaunch.jpg

It's Aiden Pearce from WatchDogs 1.

He is the only protagonist I've ever played that is so detestable and so much of the events of the narrative are directly his fault, but the game constantly tries to bend over backwards to say "no, he's an anti-hero". He never reflects on what he is doing, or that it is explicitly his fault. He just keeps going and going and the game treats every atrocity he commits as justified.

And it's more confusing because Ubisoft keeps brining him back.

I genuinely don't know who at ubisoft or watch dogs players who keep asking for Aiden to keep coming back.

edgefusion

Oct 27, 2017
Grand Theft Auto V is a story about Trevor and Michael, their relationship to one another and to the criminal underworld. Then there is Franklin who exists for some reason.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Most recently, and while not a specific named character, the hunter you play as in the MH Rise demo. This is the first game that they've had actual spoken words. In the time playing the demo, their talking was so damned annoying, always saying something while carving, or any other menial task that you will do in Mh like 100000 times. I was very happy to learn that I could turn off the player hunter talking.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Deacon St John from Days Gone. He is just constantly talking at all times and is perpetually stuck in pissy mode yelling to himself bitching about everything.

Like dude just shut up for 5 seconds please.

Oct 25, 2017
Deacon St John from Days Gone. He is just constantly talking at all times and is perpetually stuck in pissy mode yelling to himself bitching about everything.

Like dude just shut up for 5 seconds please.

Nah dude. I love Deacons absolutely unhinged ranting and raving.

My only problem is there is a clear difference between cutscene Deacon and game Deacon.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Velvet from Berseria was awful. She is just chockfull of edgy, grimdark nonsense. Worse yet, for all her edge and big talk, she inevitably just acts like a typical Tales protagonist (she just snarls as she does it). So lame.

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
Itsuki from TMS is indeed a 99% a bland boring character who is intended to be a player self-insert and a conduit for harem shenanigans.

The other 1% is the best food critic I've ever seen in my life.

Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell
images

Corrin Fire Emblem. Just awful. You can't have a morally questionable protagonist that's also a vehicle for player worship, because what happens is the plot implodes on itself trying to justify everything they do even when it's clearly wrong.

And done.

I have mixed feelings about avatars in Fire Emblem being an active part of the story and Fates just proves you can't have a decent plot with the avatar also being the lord. If you really have to, make them a secondary character like Kris in the FE3 remake.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Tidus in unbearable. I stopped my FFX rerun very early on and I can't recall any games turning me off a product like that.

OddRonald

Jul 31, 2020
Deacon St John in Days Gone is the right side of stupidly over the top hollywood style protagonist. Jason Brody in Far Cry 3 is where that goes wrong, just the worst guy, big old white saviour frat boy

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
697471c99b07111d5e82740cfbe35835.jpg

This annoying douche.
I heavily disagree. Cole Phelps is a fascinating character study for translating film noir tropes to a video game. Film noir is a subgenre defined by leads and supporting casts just as flawed as the villains, if not moreso. Their control over their own lives pales in comparison to your typical lead in fiction, with avoidable complications in the story often being the result of their own vices, as opposed to actions of the antagonist personally impacting them.

How then, do you turn a film noir lead into a video game character, a medium where characters are often only as flawed as the player controlling them? Simply put, you redefine the agency of the player and their relationship to the player character. Are you Cole Phelps? No, not really. When you're in control, he can be the ultimate detective, solving cases left and write and nailing perps with ease.

You're directing Cole Phelps to solve cases and push the narrative forward, but ultimately his actions when he's off the clock aren't your own. Him being a flawless investigator doesn't detract from the fact that he's a shitty person, and that's part of what makes him such a compelling protagonist.

(Major story spoilers are tagged)

Cole is a remarkably open-minded man for a white cop in the 40's, but he's also an adulterer, glory hound, and coward, who accepted a silver star simply for living through the Battle of Okinawa. This, in spite of having also gotten nearly three dozen friendlies killed on his watch due to aforementioned glory hound tendencies. While the other survivors of his unit got to take home horrific trauma from the slaughter, Cole got a medal. It's not until his life comes crashing down after his adultery is exposed during the Vice desk that Cole starts to turn his attention towards seeking actual justice, rather than inflating his own ego. Prior to that, his motivations align with that of the player: get the perfect ratings and earn those desk promotions.

That side of Phelps is one you're distant to as the player, and learn over the course of the story as you see him develop as a character when you're not in control of him. He's a fundamentally, deeply flawed man (the definition of the film noir lead) without falling into genre clichés, like being an outrageously racist, anti-Semitic, or misogynistic prick.

Frankly, the fact that Cole dies midway through the Arson desk is one of the most shocking moments in the story, and all too fitting for his arc. Putting the last pieces of the story together as Kelso, another survivor of his unit at Okinawa, really puts into perspective just how little you as the player knew about the lead.

Last edited:

Twstr709

Oct 27, 2017
Yourself in Nioh 2. I never understood why they made that choice. They didn't even have to use William again. It could've been someone totally new. The silence in the cutscenes just makes it even more weird.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Someone is going to come here and mention Squall and they should slap themselves for it

grosvenor92

Dec 2, 2017

He is the only protagonist I've ever played that is so detestable and so much of the events of the narrative are directly his fault, but the game constantly tries to bend over backwards to say "no, he's an anti-hero". He never reflects on what he is doing, or that it is explicitly his fault. He just keeps going and going and the game treats every atrocity he commits as justified.

I genuinely don't know who at ubisoft or watch dogs players who keep asking for Aiden to keep coming back.

I agree with this. Marcus and crew are so much better in the second game.

Having not played Legion I'm guessing they don't make an appearance

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017

I do think that Ubisoft has a big problem the first time they try to do characters in some of their franchises. Altais was more subdue, and change a ton after the first game evety time he appeared, but he had basically the same problems as Aiden.

The are so similar Ubisoft always has to oversteer and make the sequels have a more comedic protagonist. Like Ezio and Marcus.

I dont know but somebody there really likes the stoic, zero personality, edgy protagonist and tries to force them always in their new franchises lol

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
EDGE MAVERICK (Star Ocean 4)

What a dumbass. 'Oh let's give that Nazi lady future tech, what could go wrong?'

Deleted member 3082

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tidus in unbearable. I stopped my FFX rerun very early on and I can't recall any games turning me off a product like that.

That's my answer. One of many reasons I despise FFX and fell away from the series entirely because of it. And yes, I know the laughing scene is supposed to be hammy, he still sucks.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
images

Corrin's not silent....at least in my game he isnt (Currently playing FE Fates lol).

I mis read the thread title lmao

But ya, some of the actions of Corrin were mind boggling. I'm playing Birthright now and the fact that he was okay fighting against the people who he lived with most of his life and just went along with the opposite nation is just lol.