• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I had this recurring nightmare when I was a kid where this thing that looked kind of like this (the Squidward painting from Spongebob, but this was before Spongebob existed)

8529f138e7de2640a4d9d1f124ba134a.jpg

except it was red, had big feet, and made out of blood, and the blood was dripping off of it. It was in a pitch black space, walking towards me with its cartoonishly clownish big feet, dripping blood. It never got any closer, just walked in place, to the sound of a trumpet or a tuba in the background. I can't explain the absolute dread this filled me with for some inexplicable reason. When I saw the blood monster with the big nose, I knew I was in for a horrible time.

I had sleep paralysis for the first and only time in Japan. I woke up to the sound of a crowd murmuring, except it was EXTREMELY unpleasant, as if instead of people talking it was a bunch of people screaming at the top of their lungs. I wanted to get up and lock my door in case something was happening outside, but I realized I couldn't move. I tried to scream and I couldn't. I felt a presence in the room, and I could see this woman with long - REALLY long - black hair, kind of like a priestess type woman, but with indistinguishable features except for her young looking skin, floating in my room, watching me, whispering my name. She was dressed in all white, baggy clothes.

I woke up in the coldest sweat I've ever had in my life, filled with dread. I put up some images of Jesus and Mary in my apartment after that - you know, just in case I was being FUCKING HAUNTED by something that looked like a mix between the death god from Naruto and the girl from The Ring - and it, maybe coincidentally, never happened again, thank God.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
My daughter had been kidnapped and missing, and a report came on TV that her body had been found.

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
A few times when I was a kid, I'd get this recurring dream where I'd be staring at a black monolith like from 2001, and it would simultaneously be infinitely smooth and infinitely complex, and that would freak me out. Then I'd wake up with the flu.

Bazza

Oct 27, 2017
My worst I killed my brother it was seriously dark, don't know what I was reading at the time for sure (possibly a Game of Thrones or First law re-read) basically a grim and often brutal fantasy series, my dreams are always heavily influenced by what I'm reading. In the dream I was at the end of some battle (I assume the battle was earlier in the dream but I don't remember that) and everyone was going round finishing off the other sides wounded, I went up to someone laying face down went to slit the persons throat fucked it up somehow cutting to high, turned the slowly dying flailing person over and its my brother who apparently was fighting for the other side with his face basically cut in two as my knife had gone between his top and bottom jaw (image packman), he looked into my eyes said 'why Baz' and died.

Woke up after that feeling rather sick, that one stayed with me a few weeks. Always dying in my dreams but it always seems to me I am having a good time just before I do so I don't consider them nightmares, just dreams with an ending. The dream about my brother definitely qualifies as one, every time I recalled the dream for a few seconds the emotions and mental image made it feel real and would make me sad and guilty.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
I have a reoccurring nightmare of going to a convenience store at night and, just as I'm about to leave, two masked armed robbers all in black clothing enter and start yelling. I manage to scramble out of the store unharmed, but get gunned down in the parking lot every time. I've had this dream several times a year for over 20 years now, where I try different things once I get to the parking lot but it ends in me dying every time, so I don't go to small stores at night and I'm afraid of guns.

The worst, however, is a different dream where I was in a large abandoned building with a tight ring of about 10 vehicles that are charred and kind of melted, with parts that are red hot. I walk up to take a closer look and find each car is packed with people, some of whom are still alive, melted into each other and the vehicles. Then somehow I am lifted and taken slowly around the ring, just close enough to be in pain from the heat but not burn, see everything in gruesome detail, and hear people moaning and dying. It was the most vivid dream I've ever had and it took me months to get the images and sounds out of my head. I have no idea how my brain even came up with it because I've never seen anything like it in my life.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
I dreamt an Ewok was trying to choke me to death, and it sipped into real life when after waking up I couldn't breathe or talk for like 30 seconds

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
One of the scarier ones I've ever had: in the dream, I was lying in bed at night with my girlfriend, when we heard a knock at the door to my apartment. I get out of bed to check and there is nobody at the door. So as soon as I get back into bed, the knocking starts again. This time I open the door, but still nobody there. I close the door, return to my bedroom, and there is a hooded figure standing in the corner of my room from floor the ceiling. It's so tall it has to hunch it's head over near the ceiling. My girlfriend isn't in the bed anymore and I just start screaming and then I woke up.

Scary shit man lol

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Scariest: When I was little I had this nightmare where I was at school during a dust storm. My friends and I were running from our classroom to the boys' restroom for shelter (why we left the class, I don't' know, but it was an irrational reason, as some things in dreams don't make sense). In the restroom, we were wondering how we were going to escape, and one kid had an idea and kinda motioned with his head to a stall. He walked in, closed the stall, we all heard a flush then the door opened by itself, but he was gone. The others got the idea, but I was still fighting with the notion of what was going on. By the time I noticed it, I was the only one left, and my friends all managed to flush themselves down the toilet. I didn't want to remain there alone so I walked up to the bowl, put my feet in the toilet water, then crouched a bit to pull the flusher and I got sucked down the drain (very strange and claymation like as if I was stretched into a cartoon-like noodle while being sucked down) and everything went white. When the white light faded, I was in a bathroom. The bathroom of my grandparents' house. I was dry but figured the toilets sent us each to the houses of our family members. I left the bathroom and walked into the dining room where, oddly, my parents were there waiting. My mom and great-grandma were in the kitchen preparing some food and my dad was sitting on the table talking to them (the kitchen and dining room were one of those ones separated by a counter). My dad lifted me up and I sat on his knee and I started to hear a rhythmic noise grow louder and louder. It was drumming, no stomping. Feet stomping, but loud... deafening. My dad started to dig his fingers tight into my shoulders, laughing so evilly (sounded very distorted, like a demon or Freddy Krueger). I only heard the loud sounds of the stomping and my dad's evil laughter as I struggled to break free, then I saw them. Feet... the feet of my mother and great-grandmother walking on their own around the counter towards me, gory remnants of torn skin and veins dragged behind them (that was the source of the stomping noise). And my mother and great-grandmother followed, floating on leg-stumps dripping blood over the trails left by the feet, and that's when my dad started to choke me. Then I woke up...

Coolest Childhood Dream: In this dream (which happened close tot he one above, but maybe a few years after), I was in a very big cave where the end of the cave was a massive settlement/theme park-like location. The best I can describe it is like the entrance area to the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland, dark, moody, water and boats and an indoor restaurant among the ambiance. Not imagine an entire "land" of Disneyland like that, within a cave. It was pirate-themed too, and looked a lot like that pirate settlement in the movie Hook (even though my dream predated Hook, that look was the most similar to the feel of it). To leave that (and go to) that place, you had to cross a massive lake. It was probably a mile long, and you basically did this by rowboat. I remember being with my cousin (whom I was close with during that age; we were like siblings) and we were rowing across that lake to leave the pirate settlement. And again, when I say that cave was MASSIVE, another example of how big it seemed (for comparison sakes), is that the top of the cave was as high as the underside of the upper plate in FFVII Remake's Midgar. We finally made it to the shore dock and it was like we were in my house's den. My house's den was the "cave", abnormally stretched out to fit a mile-sized lake and pirate-themed theme park. We were headed out of the den, towards where a bathroom is located and I was startled when a head poked out. It was a hairy looking head. It was a caveman... not realistic, but sorta a lifelike version of Captain Caveman. Covered in long hair covering the majority of his body and just a nose sticking out of where his face is. There were two of them and they were standing in front of the bathroom mirror, trying to style their hair, which I found hilarious because that's all they basically were, HAIR! Then we heard a voice from behind us telling us not to mind them because those caveguys are always having a bad hair day. My cuz and I turned around to see a bust statue of Arsenio Hall (looked like he did back in the day, flattop and all) there on a stand, laughing at his own joke, a spotlight on him as if he was on stage. Oddly enough, that's all I remember clearly. I think he told us where we were (because my cousin and I were confused) and even told us the names of the cavemen, but I forgot them. I woke up sometime after that.

Robaperas

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
The ones where I didn't prepare for or forgot about exams or papers. Still have them. Also every dream in which I shatter my teeth. Those suck.
Yes, these are the most terrible nightmares for me, I have bad teeth so every time I have those nightmares, I check every teeth with my tongue when I wake up, just to be sure.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
The ones were my loved ones die. I wake up with a panic attack.

Sleep paralysis sucks but it's better than the panic attacks. But I don't typically see creepy shit like demons.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
The one where a virus spreads across the world and every time I go out and come in contact with people I'm afraid I'm going to get something that kills me.