• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Worst Moogle design in the Final Fantasy series?

• "Cat" Moogles from FFVIII

Votes: 123 15.5%
  • "Rabbit" Moogles from FFXII

Votes: 146 18.3%
  • "Punch my fucking face" Moogles from FFXIII-2

Votes: 399 50.1%
  • "Gear" Moogles from FF Type-0

Votes: 87 10.9%
  • "Orange pom-pom" Moogle from FFXIV

Votes: 33 4.1%
  • "Armless" Moogles from FF Crystal Chronicles

Votes: 120 15.1%
  • "My 10-year-old kid drew it" Moogle from Dissidia FF

Votes: 102 12.8%

• Total voters

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Chocobo and moogle designs vary but their core characteristics remain in each iteration for the most part. The biggest departure in the norm is obviously the IvaIice one. I think they're a lot better of a design for a fantasy creature than a lot of the other moogle iterations, but it's disappointing because it lacks the charm and consistency of a mascot. Final Fantasy has certain characters where you expect wild departures, but also many that stay relatively the same (chocobos, moogles, cactuar, tonberry, even Marlboro). When I'm asked which is the worst moogle I'm going to say it's the one that doesn't look like a moogle.

They have been around for decades in multiple games now. Saying they don't count because they're used as a race rather than mascot is silly.

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017

Wow, it's worse than i thought.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone complaining about the koala looking moogle from FFVIIR ...

www.resetera.com

Final Fantasy 3: Moogle was designed base on Koalas

Something interesting I find in this interview. Mr. Koichi Ishii, father of the chocobo and moogle talk about Moogle design. Source: https://na.finalfantasy.com/topics/176 "One of the characters that made its first appearance in FFIII was the moogles. You’re the creator of moogles, correct...

Apparently you're wrong. The creator of moogles has spoken? And it's supposed to be a koala. 🤷‍♂️

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
They have been around for decades in multiple games now. Saying they don't count because they're used as a race rather than mascot is silly.
I'm not saying they don't count, I'm saying they don't resemble the established norms. There isn't some kind of weird mascot/race delineation going on there, I'm just saying they're principally a mascot of the series except in the Ivalice entry where they adopt the name but completely changed the design. You tried to say that designs are always changing in the series, but if you look through the list of moogles that just isn't true. If that doesn't bother you then cool, but it shouldn't be difficult to understand why someone would hold the one design out of like 20 that looks so radically different accountable as the worst iteration.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
whatever 12 did with the moogles, it sure as hell wasn't as bad as these abomination they called tonberries

-U9ttUCOTaqiUtA-Mrrai12zJntKsJr1FMwoyQT_1utE9FuSIOxCl9-5oumbGb2Qd1oD78DgnseGMl2fisporcDQDVZ9BQpuONA

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying they don't count, I'm saying they don't resemble the established norms. There isn't some kind of weird mascot/race delineation going on there, I'm just saying they're principally a mascot of the series except in the Ivalice entry where they adopt the name but completely changed the design. You tried to say that designs are always changing in the series, but if you look through the list of moogles that just isn't true. If that doesn't bother you then cool, but it shouldn't be difficult to understand why someone would hold the one design out of like 20 that looks so radically different accountable as the worst iteration.

Ok, but not looking like the "norm" doesn't make it a bad design. Especially next to abominations like that FF13-2 thing that looks like a melting funko pop.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Ok, but not looking like the "norm" doesn't make it a bad design. Especially next to abominations like that FF13-2 thing that looks like a melting funko pop.
That's why I said I think it's a fine design for a fantasy race... I think it is a good fantasy race design, but a bad moogle design. Similarly if you lined up 2 dogs and a cat and asked me which of the three was the worst dog, I'd say the cat

The Kidd

Oct 27, 2017
FF7 remake was what I immediately thought of. Ffxiii-2s is pretty bad too, idk which one I hate more. FF7 remakes carbuncle is also ugly as sin.

Edit' ffxii's is not even the same species that they would have been better off called something else, maybe then I would have given them a chance.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
That's why I said I think it's a fine design for a fantasy race... I think it is a good fantasy race design, but a bad moogle design. Similarly if you lined up 2 dogs and a cat and asked me which of the three was the worst dog, I'd say the cat

ok.... do you feel similarly about Carbuncle looking like an alien in 8, a fennec fox in 15 and a squirrel in 14?
The Ivalice moogles are still instantly recognizable as moogles

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
whatever 12 did with the moogles, it sure as hell wasn't as bad as these abomination they called tonberries

-U9ttUCOTaqiUtA-Mrrai12zJntKsJr1FMwoyQT_1utE9FuSIOxCl9-5oumbGb2Qd1oD78DgnseGMl2fisporcDQDVZ9BQpuONA
I actually enjoyed this design, really hammered home the body horror elements of FFXI's mythos and Tonberries are basically eldritch beings in leather coat and a knife with a lantern. But seeing it without the setup in XI proper (which was enough for me i suppose) I can see how someone could go eww, hell even a XI player might go eww come to think of it. XD

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
ok.... do you feel similarly about Carbuncle looking like an alien in 8, a fennec fox in 15 and a squirrel in 14?
The Ivalice moogles are still instantly recognizable as moogles
Not really, because before 8 it had only shared a similar design twice (and from a personal view 8 was my first game featuring Carbuncle anyway). Most of the summons usually share some kind of characteristic (Carbuncle is small with a red stone on his head, Ifrit is a male fiery thing, Shiva is a female ice thing, Ramuh is an old electric dude) but even with those examples they have much less consistency than something like Final Fantasy's premier mascots, moogles and chocobos. They don't even appear in every game and often have big design differences, so you're not trained to expect the consistency as much.

My first reply pointed out specific examples of creatures that are designed with consistency (chocobos, moogles, cactuar, even Marlboro) as opposed to characters that have either never or very rarely shared a design despite the name (virtually most summons/espers/eidolons/esper/gf/even the term they go by changes, Biggs and Wedge, Cid). My second post linked you to the wiki article that shows 20+ consistent moogle designs from the series and spinoffs with the only exceptions being those from Ivalice.

If you can't understand the point being made and why someone would feel the way myself and others do, it's because of your own lack of willingness to engage with the point. It's like you're trying to find some gotcha that proves I couldn't possibly hold this opinion and be consistent with it, so my opinion must be wrong or something. But maybe it's like just my opinion, and it's well reasoned enough for it to not bother you that people out there hold that opinion.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
If you can't understand the point being made and why someone would feel the way myself and others do, it's because of your own lack of willingness to engage with the point. It's like you're trying to find some gotcha that proves I couldn't possibly hold this opinion and be consistent with it, so my opinion must be wrong or something. But maybe it's like just my opinion, and it's well reasoned enough for it to not bother you that people out there hold that opinion.

I questioned your No true Scotsman about cartoon bat koalas because it seemed like a nitpick rather than anything to do with quality creature design in the first place. That's like, what forums and this thread are for? Otherwise its just strangers making a list and then moving on like engaging with other people was never the intent.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
FF's recurring characters have many iterations (not including Biggs and Wedge ofc). Chocobos, Carbuncles, monsters in general etc have all looked very different depending on the game. And considering the Ivalice style has been in more than one game why should they not count just because you have a minimum requirement of what they should look like?

Its a white furred cat faced, bat winged, pompom on a wire group of creatures/people. Ivalice just made them closer to a humanoid fantasy race of people.

Are FFXV's Gundam Bahamut and human-like Ifrit not real because its different and you don't like it?
I'm not sure why you bring up FFXV Ifrit in particular, that is a very classic Ifrit design. Ifrit started out looking like a dude with big horns with a distinctive curve. They then slowly amped up Ifrit's bestial traits until he went 100% monster and then 100% lizard in FFXIV. They are still clearly Ifrit though, because they have the horns. It's a really particular pair of horns.

The strangest thing about FFXV Ifrit isn't that he is very human-like. Ifrit started very human-like, same as Ramuh, Shiva, and Titan. No, the weird thing about FFXV Ifrit is his upright posture. That is what makes him stand out compared to every other Ifrit.

Final Fantasy XV Bahamut is weird as hell though.

I stand by my opinions on moogles.

Last edited:

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Moogles seem to always hit that spot where I just love them. Some feel "less Moogle" but they're all fantastic. Which is funny, since I'm not even a longtime Final Fantasy guy. My first exposure to Moogle was in Mario Hoops on DS, but they became one of my favorite character designs.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I like the FFXIII-2 Moogle. It's my favorite after the KH/Dissidia Moogle.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
All of the "rabbit" Moogles are so bad that despite having seen them for years I didn't even realize they were supposed to be Moogles.

Zen_Master

Nov 15, 2020
FF7R's is somewhat uncanny valley. It reminds me of Sonic the movie pre-redesign, with all those realistic features (e.g. teeth) added to an otherwise cartoony character. It's kind of hilarious looking though so I guess that works?

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Whoever the hell voted for Post Moogle being the worst ill fight you anywhere anyplace

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
When Final Fantasy VII Remake does some design changes... it really goes off the rails as evidenced with Carbuncle, Chocobo Chick and its Moogle.

Can't wait what they come up with for Part 2! 🤷‍♂️

carrot_

Feb 21, 2021
I had not seen the FF7r moogles until coming into this thread. Now that's something I can never unsee. I'm reminded of the original Sonic movie design before it was updated.

My favorite moogles are the Ivalice moogles but honestly I love all moogles. Well, except for one now lol.