• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Worst Moogle design in the Final Fantasy series?

• "Cat" Moogles from FFVIII

Votes: 123 15.5%
  • "Rabbit" Moogles from FFXII

Votes: 146 18.3%
  • "Punch my fucking face" Moogles from FFXIII-2

Votes: 399 50.1%
  • "Gear" Moogles from FF Type-0

Votes: 87 10.9%
  • "Orange pom-pom" Moogle from FFXIV

Votes: 33 4.1%
  • "Armless" Moogles from FF Crystal Chronicles

Votes: 120 15.1%
  • "My 10-year-old kid drew it" Moogle from Dissidia FF

Votes: 102 12.8%

• Total voters

ap_2

Jan 23, 2021
A moogle is a fake animal and thus can look like anything. The rabbit moogles are tight little dudes and that marshmallow thing from 13-2 is a nightmare, so I voted for it. That's my personal standard.

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
VIII because it has no pom. The best moogles are XIV's even if they can be absolutely insufferable assholes. Its ok though, because there's lots of quests where you can put them back in their place. My favorite is one where you can slap the shit out of a particularly arrogant one.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I love how OP out VIIR's because he likes it lol. It's easily the fucking worst. XIII-2's is cute imo but the excess blush looks bad. VIII is the worst out of the poll because no pom. Wtf were they thinking?

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know about the cat and rabbit mogs and they are PRECIOUS

Meanwhile I'll happily punch the face of the 13-2 one

Zen_Master

Nov 15, 2020
latest

Not sure if worst or best, but gangsta Moogle in FFXI for sure gets all them kup'hoes

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
I will not have you besmirching the followers of Good King Moggle Mog XII!

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
Ivalice moogles are best, what is wrong with you people?
They look cool and have some great characters, but thet don't look like moogles. They look like hummingways/mysidian rabbits wearing pom hats. Moogles are supposed to look like a mix of moles and bats, so they are round and squinty-eyed. Long ears, thin bodies, and big round eyes aren't moogle traits.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
They look cool and have some great characters, but thet don't look like moogles.

FF's recurring characters have many iterations (not including Biggs and Wedge ofc). Chocobos, Carbuncles, monsters in general etc have all looked very different depending on the game. And considering the Ivalice style has been in more than one game why should they not count just because you have a minimum requirement of what they should look like?

Its a white furred cat faced, bat winged, pompom on a wire group of creatures/people. Ivalice just made them closer to a humanoid fantasy race of people.

Are FFXV's Gundam Bahamut and human-like Ifrit not real because its different and you don't like it?

Last edited:

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Out of those listed its definitely the XIII ones. Most of the ones in the list aren't even bad, just different and usually based on a real animal. (XII has my favourite moogle type)

But the real answer is...

You're missing the weird mutant koala from FF7r

maxresdefault.jpg
Absolutely this. I absolutely despise this thing. Especially its weird buckteeth.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
This is the first time I've ever seen the FF7 remake Moogle and yeah, it's that.

My personal favorite design is the ones they used in Kingdom Hearts. (Which is kinda cheating I know but it's FF adjacent)

latest

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie, I dislike the moogles design in XIV. The others are all great imo

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
Who hurt you, OP? No Moogles are the worst Moogles.

So the answer is Final Fantasy II's beavers.
_SwpvFZcTa_4AkyEDUAHLbSr7fK2pWCKra7HMAyLwXepityNsg1hHZDrM3Yh7OSBD0Cde0w1QBVseyP_E9UCxT-72fKYIpOw-TWratwyndtzJhSOXLZhMyZSiXj-hKK1Y58bpNE

styl_oh

Fallen One-Winged Chicken Chaser
Nov 24, 2019
Alberta, Canada
facefuck

with the thumb oh my god

that rabbit is a cool ass commando motherfucker tho, the other ones are all good

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
No Moogles are bad. Stop being wrong.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Do you have a photo? When searching only see 13-2
The Chocobos throughout the FFXIII series are generally the same.
maxresdefault.jpg

Not to derail the thread, but for Chocobo's sake, my faves are probably FFXII and FFXV's Chocobos in the more "realistic" sense. Hell, I think FFXV's Chocobos look more like a "realistic take" on the old FFVII Chocobo designs than the Chocobo design for FFVIIR (Chocobo Mog summon).
latest
Chocobo_Final_Fantasy_XV.jpg

Nov 17, 2017
They're the "least Moogle" Moogles I've ever seen

They remind me of American localized box art of Japanese games, you know the ones that look like the artist never even looked at the original game and just drew the cover from a written description or whatever
Except they look great. They're original and adorable. They stand out on their own without being derivative or relying on nostalgia. They can be much more expressive and showcase individuality. They look like they belong in the world of Ivalice. People just hate them for being different but they're great for everything they are.

latest

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
FF's recurring characters have many iterations (not including Biggs and Wedge ofc). Chocobos, Carbuncles, monsters in general etc have all looked very different depending on the game. And considering the Ivalice style has been in more than one game why should they not count just because you have a minimum requirement of what they should look like?

Its a white furred cat faced, bat winged, pompom on a wire group of creatures/people. Ivalice just made them closer to a humanoid fantasy race of people.

Are FFXV's Gundam Bahamut and human-like Ifrit not real because its different and you don't like it?
Chocobo and moogle designs vary but their core characteristics remain in each iteration for the most part. The biggest departure in the norm is obviously the IvaIice one. I think they're a lot better of a design for a fantasy creature than a lot of the other moogle iterations, but it's disappointing because it lacks the charm and consistency of a mascot. Final Fantasy has certain characters where you expect wild departures, but also many that stay relatively the same (chocobos, moogles, cactuar, tonberry, even Marlboro). When I'm asked which is the worst moogle I'm going to say it's the one that doesn't look like a moogle.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
What really fucks this design up is the open eyes. Moogles gotta have sleepy eyes. Hell, I'd say their faces are supposed to look like sleeping koalas, not koalas that are awake. A classic Moogle a pudgy little bi-pedal bear body (think Winnie the Pooh, a tubby, little furry person) with a sleeping koala face, cat ears and whiskers(maybe general head shape), bat wings, and a single pom antenna. Any deviation from that look is going to feel strange. Accept no substitutes...
latest