• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

aett

Oct 27, 2017
Northern California
It's too easy to name levels that you can find in the Megaman X Collection 2.

Some classic MM stages that bug me:

Crash Man, for the long ladder with birds sequence
Hard Man, for the bees and massive slowdown
Chill Man... I don't know why, but this is one of my least favorite ice stages in the series. It always gives me trouble

I wasn't a fan of Bounce Man's level in 11. The bounce gimmick is nice for few rooms, but it quickly gets old and it never feels like "this is fun". The stage is way, WAY too long as well.

100% agreed. The last time I replayed the game I started with this level and the rest of the game felt like a big step down in frustration and difficulty. And I feel like all of the Robot Master stages are too long. I'd rather have more, but shorter, levels. I hate how Wily's castle consists of two actual levels, the rematches, and the final boss, especially when there's no previous castle or MM3-style remixed levels.

Edit: Astro Man (MM8, not R&F) and his maze can go to hell, too.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
For me, it was Dust Man's stage in Mega Man III for the Game Boy. I could rarely get past it as a kid because of those mashers.
I enjoyed MM III on GB but yeah, that whole section slowed it down to a crawl too with all the rubbish you need to shoot to get past. 'Crush levels' also exist in other platformers but they don't make you clear out a whole screen full of junk to advance too.

Norsuchamp

Feb 6, 2020
People always moan about the snowboarding sections in MM8 but forget what an abysmal thing Astro Man's stage was with it's stupid maze.

RickChunter

Oct 27, 2017
Mega Man 11 Bounce Man stage was annoying, but it's not as bad as two stages in the original Mega Man.

I swear even at eight years old that Guts Man and Ice Man stages put hair on my chest they were so frustrating. Ice Man fully gets my vote because on top of trying to master to appearing/disappearing platforms, you also had to deal with sliding all over the place.

Counting X6-X8 is sort of unfair (since they're so bad at times). Before I jumped into this topic I just assumed it was MM1-11 in the running. Reading the varied responses on that is excellent.

But I can definitely see how someone would pick MM2 Quick Man. If you walk into that stage with fresh eyes, you're bound to throw at least one controller against the wall.

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
Tidal Whale/Duff McWhalen's stage in X5 is insanely boring, I would take any level in X6 over it

The final level in ZX frustrated me too. I don't know why, because ZX is generally easier than the Zero games, but it proved to be really challenging to me for some reason, and not in a fun way.

I just played ZXA for the first time this month and I found the end really frustrating, the destroyable spikes/platforms gimmick was just really irritating for me by the end and I think I was just using the vulture to avoid playing the level as much as possible. It was even harder doing it for Z-Chaser where you had to do the entire level in under 17 minutes.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_inline_noetzoai9L1sw5u1y_400.gifv.gif

Fuck this level and everything about it.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
X6, 7, and 8 have awful vehicle levels and copy-paste design that produce the worst levels bar none. People will tell you X8 is better and I guess it kind of is, but it's still bad.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
People always moan about the snowboarding sections in MM8 but forget what an abysmal thing Astro Man's stage was with it's stupid maze.
lol, I was gonna say the same thing. I don't mind the snowboarding bit but just off the top of my head Astro Man was the level that came to mind in which I really disliked - I hate maze levels like that and it just overstayed its welcome. Didn't much care for Tengu Man's shoot em up section either, just because of how slow and easy it was.

Cant say I much care for Elec Man's level wither in MM1 - because its a pretty slow going level and just not all that fun for me to replay.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
100% agreed. The last time I replayed the game I started with this level and the rest of the game felt like a big step down in frustration and difficulty. And I feel like all of the Robot Master stages are too long. I'd rather have more, but shorter, levels. I hate how Wily's castle consists of two actual levels, the rematches, and the final boss, especially when there's no previous castle or MM3-style remixed levels.

Edit: Astro Man (MM8, not R&F) and his maze can go to hell, too.

Yeah the whole Wily's castle in 11 was huge let down compared to earlier games. Only two main levels, and even the first one had a completely recycled boss with an added attack.

Baby Bird

Nov 5, 2017
All the Gate's Lab levels in X6 fucking suck.

X6 fucking sucks

Fuck X6
Fuck X6 indeed

Mega Man X is one of my favorite series ever. I play through X-X6 almost anually, and last year I got X Collection 1 and 2, so I finally got to give X7 a try for the first time. Well, one time was enough for X7, I'm never touching that again. But I also decided to just scratch X6 from the list as well.

X7 is bad? definitely. But at least we can blame its experimental nature on it being bad (though is not like the narrative is any good either). But X6 has no excuses. It not only managed to have not one, not two, not three, but SEVEN of its main levels to be terribly designed trash. IMO the only salvageable is the Amazon Area, which, mind you, doesn't have any brilliant level design either, but at least isn't completely trash.

And then there are the Nightmare mechanics, which serve no purpose but to make already shitty levels even worse, by adding stuff to them that no sane person would ever find fun or interesting, only incredibly annoying.

To make matters worse, lets add a mechanic of collectibles that can be permanently lost, mostly in difficult to reach places, where there is a high chance you will miss them by dying, and end up not being able to collect them anymore.

And finally, just to add insult to the long list of injuries, lets make the final levels a chore of terribly designed spike placements and bosses, which remix many of the horrible gimmicks seen through the game, but with even worse implementations than in their original levels

So my answer to OPs question is: the entirety of X6. Fuck that game.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Fuck X6 indeed

Mega Man X is one of my favorite series ever. I play through X-X6 almost anually, and last year I got X Collection 1 and 2, so I finally got to give X7 a try for the first time. Well, one time was enough for X7, I'm never touching that again. But I also decided to just scratch X6 from the list as well.

X7 is bad? definitely. But at least we can blame its experimental nature on it being bad (though is not like the narrative is any good either). But X6 has no excuses. It not only managed to have not one, not two, not three, but SEVEN of its main levels to be terribly designed trash. IMO the only salvageable is the Amazon Area, which, mind you, doesn't have any brilliant level design either, but at least isn't completely trash.

And then there are the Nightmare mechanics, which serve no purpose but to make already shitty levels even worse, by adding stuff to them that no sane person would ever find fun or interesting, only incredibly annoying.

To make matters worse, lets add a mechanic of collectibles that can be permanently lost, mostly in difficult to reach places, where there is a high chance you will miss them by dying, and end up not being able to collect them anymore.

And finally, just to add insult to the long list of injuries, lets make the final levels a chore of terribly designed spike placements and bosses, which remix many of the horrible gimmicks seen through the game, but with even worse implementations than in their original levels

So my answer to OPs question is: the entirety of X6. Fuck that game.

I'm definitely on the side of giving X7 more credit for at least trying new things with 3D and all that. X6 is just a straight up embarrassment. I'm pretty sure if you use certain armour (Shadow Armour?) you can't even complete the final stages, it just throws up some unassailable obstacle halfway through and makes you start over. That was kind of my breaking point with it.

Deadpool_X

Oct 28, 2017
Indiana
Re: Blaze Heatnix, thankfully Zero's rekkouha melts the donut's health bar and can kill it in a few seconds. As long as you do the stage with Zero after Infinity Mijinion it's not that bad. I mean, it's still bad design obviously but you can mitigate it.

The first thing that comes to mind for me are the bullshit snowboard levels from Mega Man 8:
mm8_04.png

I feel like I remember another level that way overdid it with spikes but I can't remember what it was.
My mind immediately went to this. I will forever have PTSD of "Jump, jump, slide, slide."

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like having not played the likes of X6/7/8 or the cruel hellscape of & Bass leaves me free of the actually truly bad stages.

So Wave Man and his gimmick can suck it

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
The Gate stages in X6 are the epitome of just placing random spikes, bottomless pits and enemies everywhere. So much instadeath in those stages.

Baby Bird

Nov 5, 2017
I'm definitely on the side of giving X7 more credit for at least trying new things with 3D and all that. X6 is just a straight up embarrassment. I'm pretty sure if you use certain armour (Shadow Armour?) you can't even complete the final stages, it just throws up some unassailable obstacle halfway through and makes you start over. That was kind of my breaking point with it.
This pisses me off immensely. The only way to make the Gate stages bearable is by using the Shadow armor, and what do they do? Put a pit that is close to impossible (if not impossible) to cross using it.

Seriously

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
Anything worse than Blaze Heatnix from X6?

This felt like the exact moment the devs ran out of time and had to put the game out. It pretty much abandons any notion of level design and just has you face the same donut miniboss (which is just a still frame with a few blinking lights) over and over again with no opportunities to refill health. It isn't even thematically appropriate to Blaze Heatnix, since it's just a generic cave with no fire-themed hazards or enemies.

Metal Shark. It's an entire level of instant kill trash compactor platforms, few checkpoints and a branching path that not only is not immediately obviouys, but can lock you out of completing the level properly.