• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A lot of the men on TOS wore eyeshadow because they year the Star Trek premiered was the same year that CBS went to full color broadcasts. Supposedly, the make up artists were used to stage makeup for black and white and it took them a while to dial it in.

337ef9ecf14b9c4ed86a7c07d7e767115548a719.png

Had no idea they did that for black and white, interesting.

blondkayvon

Oct 26, 2017
RuPaul's makeup on Drag Race, season 8 with his longtime makeup artist Mathu Anderson:
maxresdefault.jpg

Season 9 after falling out with Mathu, now with makeup done by former contestant Raven:
8k4ulNRMVaMf4ltmuwZ84s8ZoItwOWJke43khV_YryY.jpg

(thankfully it's gotten better since then, Raven has improved a ton)
rupaul-runway-look-tall-rupauls-drag-race-s13e1.jpg

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
A lot of the men on TOS wore eyeshadow because they year the Star Trek premiered was the same year that CBS went to full color broadcasts. Supposedly, the make up artists were used to stage makeup for black and white and it took them a while to dial it in.

337ef9ecf14b9c4ed86a7c07d7e767115548a719.png

I found out a few days ago that the yellow uniforms that Kirk, Chekov, and Sulu wore was actually lime green, but showed up yellow on screen because of the lighting and film stock they used. Sounds like it took a while for them to get used to the switch to color.

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
RuPaul's makeup on Drag Race, season 8 with his longtime makeup artist Mathu Anderson:
maxresdefault.jpg

Season 9 after falling out with Mathu, now with makeup done by former contestant Raven:

Winner winner chicken dinner

That first episode of Down Under where he didn't even appear in drag in the judging panel because Raven hadn't landed in New Zealand by the time filming started XD

Oct 26, 2017
Seeing as we're talking about color on film......
This is a scene from the 1937 film Sh, The Octopus.
AgileBoldFly-size_restricted.gif

Explanation from a Reddit comments section.
The actor has red make up applied to her face and a graduated filter, which goes from red on one half to blue on the other, is placed in front of the lens. At the start of the transformation shot the red half of the filter is positioned in front of the lens, through which the red make up blends with her skin tone, rendering it effectively invisible, then, as she "transforms", the filter slides across to it's blue half, through which the red make up is darkened, and the make up becomes visible. The give away is her eye colour; at the start, under the red half of the filter, her irises appear dark but, as the filter transitions to blue, they lighten.

Sweetjebus

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing as we're talking about color on film......
This is a scene from the 1937 film Sh, The Octopus.
AgileBoldFly-size_restricted.gif

Explanation from a Reddit comments section.
The actor has red make up applied to her face and a graduated filter, which goes from red on one half to blue on the other, is placed in front of the lens. At the start of the transformation shot the red half of the filter is positioned in front of the lens, through which the red make up blends with her skin tone, rendering it effectively invisible, then, as she "transforms", the filter slides across to it's blue half, through which the red make up is darkened, and the make up becomes visible. The give away is her eye colour; at the start, under the red half of the filter, her irises appear dark but, as the filter transitions to blue, they lighten.
Looks pretty good, by your writing the look is not intentional though?

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Oh I have a good one. I think everyone has forgotten that there was a Sin City 2 at this point, but the titular story of "A Dame To Kill For" gave us an early story for Dwight, who was played by Clive Owen in the first one. Josh Brolin plays him in this one but gets reconstructive surgery to hide his identity, which every character praises for looking nothing like he used to. It seemed like the perfect opportunity to slip Clive Owen back in but...

QTlnu15.jpg

pkX7k4o.jpg

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
Supernatural finale. Sam's makeup and hair. Yeesh.
Jared-Padalecki-as-Old-Sam-Winchester-in-Supernatural-finale.jpg

For those fortunate enough not to have seen it.

I really hope one day we get a full breakdown about what on earth happened here. The last episode has all the hallmarks of production that fell apart behind the scenes and had to cobble together something from the bits and pieces leftover.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017

I really hope one day we get a full breakdown about what on earth happened here. The last episode has all the hallmarks of production that fell apart behind the scenes and had to cobble together something from the bits and pieces leftover.
Wait, this is really it?

I've seen the image before but I assumed it was from, I don't know, a comedic beat in an episode or something. Fascinatingly terrible, this is truly the king of the mountain.

May 19, 2020

lmao dude looks like he's getting setup for undercover boss

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I found out a few days ago that the yellow uniforms that Kirk, Chekov, and Sulu wore was actually lime green, but showed up yellow on screen because of the lighting and film stock they used. Sounds like it took a while for them to get used to the switch to color.

Yeah there are some episodes that they're pretty clearly lime green:
main-qimg-1aa8964f960974ef2c7187b712f293a9

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017

To be fair, I feel like the Harry Potter ending was worse than this.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
Honestly she didn't need to go through that much at all to begin with.

Just blue skin and red hair, maybe contacts. No idea why they thought all this crazy extra shit was necessary.
To add the necessary texture so that the makeup will show up right on film. Mystique in Dark Phoenix looks like a cosplayer who painted herself blue for Comic-Con. Surely you can see how much better she looked in the three previous films?

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017

Wait, this is really it?

I've seen the image before but I assumed it was from, I don't know, a comedic beat in an episode or something. Fascinatingly terrible, this is truly the king of the mountain.
COVID fucked production up pretty bad with the finale. I feel like they half did this on purpose because it would have been a waste given their limited resources for anything better.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
There was a season of Arrow where the whole cast was supposed to be older versions of themselves in the future. All they did was spray on some gray color dye and maybe draw on a few wrinkles. It looked like a high school play.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
To add the necessary texture so that the makeup will show up right on film. Mystique in Dark Phoenix looks like a cosplayer who painted herself blue for Comic-Con. Surely you can see how much better she looked in the three previous films?
I think he is saying Mystique doesn't need all that weird crap stuck all over her face in the first place.
And I agree. It look dumb.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017

Covid happened, they were pretty open about the fact that they had to rewrite stuff around covid restrictions during filming. They planned on having more characters in the finale, including Castiel, but couldn't do more because of the travel restrictions etc.

Tbh they should've just delayed the back half of the season but I'm sure everyone wanted to move on so they just said fuck it, go to Party City and grab some wigs and makeup.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the weak and the wounded

I have never seen crazy texture on mystique from any comics I have seen her in from the 70's to today.

She just has blue skin.

No idea why they decided to make her part crustacean or some shit for those movies.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I think he is saying Mystique doesn't need all that weird crap stuck all over her face in the first place.

If I am remembering right Bryan Singer in the first X-Men movie added the scales and the nudity because he didn't think people would understand her shape changing without it

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Really freaking stupid and sexist honestly.
They clearly just wanted to have a naked woman in the movie.
I mean they also thought the xmen had to be in black batman-like suits for the first movies. the comic book movie landscape was very different. Took fucking forever for women to have any real roles at all in comic book movies, even look at more recent films like the raimi spiderman films.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Oh I have a good one. I think everyone has forgotten that there was a Sin City 2 at this point, but the titular story of "A Dame To Kill For" gave us an early story for Dwight, who was played by Clive Owen in the first one. Josh Brolin plays him in this one but gets reconstructive surgery to hide his identity, which every character praises for looking nothing like he used to. It seemed like the perfect opportunity to slip Clive Owen back in but...

QTlnu15.jpg

pkX7k4o.jpg
This is a great example. Everything in this sequel looks worse. Mickey Rourke's makeup, the lighting, seriously everything.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
The funny part is I remember they had problems with the film developers being some kind of sorcerers. When they did make-up tests for an Oriion slave girl, the footage kept coming back looking normal.

However, the footage of these tests kept coming back without the green skin being visible. Puzzled by this, the makeup crew kept painting the actress again and again with other shades of green, hoping it would be visible on film. This went on for a period of three consecutive days. Afterward, the makeup artists discovered that the film processing lab was "de-coloring" her because they didn't know she was supposed to be green.

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
The last scene from the Harry Potter films. The cast really looked as a bunch of kids dressed as adults in a school play

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Jupiter's legacy is very bad at this. The main character dude looks terrible and I couldn't take the show seriously

Lionel Mandrake

Prophetic Lionel Mandrake
Oct 26, 2017

QTlnu15.jpg

pkX7k4o.jpg

When I first saw this, I thought it was a fakeout. Like Dwight was going to realize that his disguise sucked and he would need a more drastic change, leading to the Clive Owen reveal. I don't understand why you would do it this way. Even if you couldn't get Owen back, just save the transformation for the end of the story and have it be off screen.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
joseph_gordon_levitt_looper_movie_transformations.jpg

Whoever approved doing this to Jo Go Lev's face needs to be demoted.

looper-bruce-willis-joseph-gordon-levitt.jpg

Why even bother... they succeeded in making joseph gordon levitt look like not himself more than make him look like Bruce Willis.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

i legit don't see a difference between any of these.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017

That looks fine in a drawing, or a comic, but when you're just solid blue with nothing else in live action often just looks like...an actor with some blue makeup on. There's a good reason most superhero costumes or designs need a lot of texture or detail added in live action, including the very faithful ones. Sometimes too much but to go 1:1 with a comics design usually winds up looking like cosplay.