• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
Not a bug, but I used a thumb drive for additional storage on my 360. Lost a Skyrim save that I had about 50 hours on.

The crashes in Bloodstained on Switch have been pissing me off of late.

Nov 1, 2017
I have an extreme hatred for game breaking glitches or anything that corrupts your save (if i was a game reviewer and a game did that to me it would get an instant 0/10 from me until i got confirmation it was patched out cause fuck that shit) and have had a few in my time. Considering how long games can take to finish and the time investment involved games should never be released with them, and if it does PATCH THAT SHIT. Batman Arkham Origins managed to have both of those. Had a 360 save corrupted and there is an early game breaking glitch. Fuck you WB Games Montréal. I did still manage to power through it after a restart cause the game is surprisingly decent when it's not shitting the bed.

Recently i've had two Game Pass games crap out on me and it makes me glad i didn't pay money for them. Homefront: The Revolution i was having an ok time with, nothing amazing but serviceable enough until i wasn't able to get back to a mission giver to continue to main story cause an NPC was stood in the way who wouldn't move. Apparently it's a well known glitch that never got fixed. Fuck you Dambuster Studios.

Then after forcing myself to complete The Surge (a game that managed to get so many aspects of the Dark Souls formula wrong despite it being derivative as fuck that it boggles the mind) i was looking to wrap up the last few achievements on new game plus and swiftly move on when somehow immediately after the intro i got caught in an instant death loop for god knows what reason. I die, i respawn, i instantly die, this carries on forever. Nothing fixes it. How the fuck this got past testing i do not know. So... Fuck you Deck13. Hope The Surge 2 is a massive flop.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Remember how there was a "keys to the city" competition for GTA IV on console, where they would mail you a prize if you beat the game 100% within 7 days of its release?
I had the game glitch out on me in the final mission on PS3. It was completely unbeatable for me.
You had to jump off a ramp on a motorbike onto a helicopter. Well, Nico would never grab on. He would get stuck in the air and be constantly falling in place. Didn't matter how many times I tried that mission, nothing worked.
It seems there's a similar issue on PC where you grab on but cannot climb into the helicopter, but there are workarounds for that. Never seen a fix for it on PS3. I assume it was either extremely rare, or fixed in a patch.
After a week of suffering through motion sickness and spending every free moment I had with the game, because I was determined to do it for some reason, for it to be unbeatable on the very last moment of the final mission makes that easily the worst bug I've encountered.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
For me FFVII save file corrupt in the last 1/3 of game

For a friend some fish never showed up in Oblivion so they could never advance the story

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Worst for me was Zelda: Majora's Mask.

Due to the nature of that game's save system, you can only save once every three-day-cycle.
I used my cycle to complete the Goron Temple, collect all the fairies, and complete the Goron Races. I also collected about 10 masks and several heart pieces. As I exited a door, the game froze solid on me. I lost ALL my progress.

It's one reason why, despite its new flaws, the 3DS version letting me save whenever I want is such a godsend. I will never go back.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Another one for the Viewtiful Joe 2 demo, wtf. Why does a demo even need to save to a memory card???

At least they gave me a free copy of Hot Shots Golf Fore to make up for it, but I lost A LOT of hours worth of saves.

Oct 28, 2017
this saints row 2? bug in the ps3 were by the last stretch of the SP i couldnt get out of my apartment without dying, everything around the apartment turned into something like quicksand.

NPCs and me alike would fall through the floor, thanks to that i couldnt finish the game

PuppetMinion

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Far cry 4: the cloudsaves got corrupted somehow(wrote over my local saves... Thanks Ubi!) and my late game save got its skills reset and messed up. Made me stop playing it for over a year, then I restarted.

The first of the new tomb raider games on ps4. Save destroyed/corrupted in the middle somewhere, never restarted the game, just gave up. I lent/gave the game to one of my closest friends since I am evil and kinda twisted in that way. Thanks Ubi!

Rainbow six vegas 1 AND 2. Had several bugs that were the same between the games... Most annoying one was the sound bug where an npc started to shoot and the sound got stuck on repeat. Only way to stop the sound was to quit the match, restart. Thanks Ubi!

I am starting to sense a theme here.... Damn you Ubisoft, your games are so buggy but I can't stop buying your games which I love...

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
I remember my FF7 game get stuck in mid save. Lost all progress. About 20 hours or so.

Although I don't know if I can attribute that to the game or the memory card.

I remember lots of problems in Ehrgeiz's dungeon crawler. Doors that won't open, suddenly getting hit by nothing... That game was a wild ride.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
There's obviously a recency bias but honestly, I think the Bloodstained update fuck-up that made me lose 3 hours of progress might be the worst. And there's also the two hard crashes I experienced. All in all, that's almost 4 hours of progress lost.
I still enjoyed the game and think quite highly of it but goddamn, they need to patch the hell out of it.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately, both of these are Obsidian games on the Xbox 360.

In Fallout: New Vegas the glitches were a real shame, because it's an awesome game in so many respects and I vastly prefer it to FO3 and 4. But it got to the point where so many missions just could not be completed by the end of the game (NPCs weren't in locations they were supposed to be; NPCs were missing dialogue options to advance a quest). The game would take longer and longer to load as you got further into the game and would crash more often, which meant lots of time sitting there reloading the save. Eventually when needing to side with a faction near the end of the game, I had to go with one that I could actually complete versus the faction that I actually wanted to choose, but couldn't because those quests were a dead end.

And in Alpha Protocol, the dialogue system and the far-reaching consequences of your choices were probably the high points of the game, but there were too many times where the game misinterpreted my button input (i.e. I'd press "X" and the game would give me the "B" choice). What little of the game I was actually enjoying was pretty much ruined by this.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
Fallout New Vegas would never run for more than an hour before crashing. It was super frustrating but I still played that game til every quest was done. Fucking love New Vegas.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
There's obviously a recency bias but honestly, I think the Bloodstained update fuck-up that made me lose 3 hours of progress might be the worst. And there's also the two hard crashes I experienced. All in all, that's almost 4 hours of progress lost.
I still enjoyed the game and think quite highly of it but goddamn, they need to patch the hell out of it.
Which system?

Youabra

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Spain
The European 3ds version of Virtue's Last Reward has (YES, HAS) a bug in which if you save in some of the cutscenes after completing a room, the save won't load, meaning you'll be forced to restart the whole game.

Rising Star Games claimed at the time that they were planning to fix it, but at the time they weren't able to duplicate it.
That was the last time they talked about it.

The best part? If you have homebrew in your 3ds, you can simply download a simple patch that a person made to fix it.
So yes, apparently a single person is better at fixing a bug than a whole company.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't manually learn Omnislash in FF7 on the original PSX version.

I tried to play Max Payne 3 recently and it will crash at random times and can never actually play the game.

Sniper Elite V3 got extremely unstable in the later levels, especially if you load from quick saves. Seriously, if I loaded from my quick save in the last level 3 times, it would crash on the 4th attempt. Every time. Hell, before it crashes, it lags the game like crazy.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fallout New Vegas is one of my worst experiences with bugs. One playthrough was so bad with them that I ended up dropping the game and not coming back to it for a long time.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I only heard things about the switch version
Yeah, it appears the Switch version has way more problems.
But the update issue for early adopters was fairly widespread on PS4. I don't know about the Xbox and PC versions though.

I've noticed that there was a new update today but I've already beaten the game. Bloodstained is a game I will absolutely recommend... In a month or two. Playing it on release day really felt like early access.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Digimon Data Squad had load times taht could be measured in geological time. Compunded by level and game design that had areas cut up in chunks and a lot of back tracking

DragonKeeper

Nov 14, 2017
I was playing Starlink and I did the Star Fox missions. But when I hit the last mission it was too difficult so I backed off, chose a different mission and went elsewhere. However, every time I started the game, it didn't matter where I was last saved at, I'd start right back at the Star Fox mission, and I also tended to get random dialog scenes spliced into Star Wolf telling his allies to attack me. It was incredibly annoying. Finally leveled up enough to finish that mission and put an end to the glitch.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
I had a horrific one in Assassin's Creed Odyssey where for no reason the frames would drop to less than 1 per second with npcs dropping through the world and the physics going insane stretching them across the map, I had to hard reset the same damn fort so many times

Paches

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone here personally attest to getting hit by the Pool of Radiance uninstall bug that blows up Windows?

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
Fallout 3 and new vegas, Halfway through the games and the saved data files got corrupted.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
I lost several hours of progress to a freeze bug on my first-ever playthrough of KotOR 2 back in 2004. Right at a climatic story moment too (Rebuilt Jedi Enclave)

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I was a programmer on a game that had a really bad bug, a jrpg where something like 4 hours into the game, you got a quest to find a hidden object, that you could only find by clicking on a wall with a decoration that fit the clue. If you talked to the wrong person after accepting the quest, the object wouldn't be there, so you couldn't finish the quest and progress through the game. Since the quest is to find the object, and it wasn't explicitly visible in the world, you wouldn't know that you couldn't collect it, so you would just think you couldn't find it. If you saved your game in that state, you were screwed, had to start the whole game over.

Two things that made the bug especially bad: the person to talk to who messed the quest up, was a nurse who stood next to you when you continued after dieing, so there was a decent chance you would talk to her. Second, this was in the age of cartridges (Gameboy Color), so it couldn't be patched. It was fixed...for a second cartridge run after the first few hundred thousand cartridges had been manufactured and put on shelves.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Does hardware count? The original xbox, if yours had a dvd drive from a specific manufacturer (I think Philips), would permanently damage your game discs (after a protective rubber stopper wore out).

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Ive never had a game killing bug iirc, but once my Subnautica world was glitched and would not load large chunks of it so I had to restart after being a couple hours in.
Also all those pre-patch MCC glitches sucked.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
When playing Crysis 2 my game data became so corrupted that every existing save I loaded brought me to some empty brown plane where my player character kept falling through geometry. I had to restart the game to fix it.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Half-Life deleting the whole of my c:\games folder on uninstall. Yeah that really hurt ☹️

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
Now that I think about it, there was something with the PS3 Skyrim my brother had that made load times atrocious (like 20+ mins) after playing the game for so long. I'm not sure if that was a bug or just Bethesda magic.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This stuff is why I alternate save files nowadays, to always have at least one backup.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Prob Little Big Planet 2, working for like 2 weeks straight on a sequel to one of my levels. Right when I was about to start the polishing phase, it crashed, I loaded it back up and my entire level was corrupt. So I loaded an old version, that was corrupt too!? It was an out of body experience. One thing losing a ton of time playing a game, its a whole other thing when you just literally created something for 100+ hours.

Found an old old backup that had like 20% of what I did and redid the entire thing 2 days straight. Still haunts me.

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
On my first attempted playthrough of hollowknight, my save file vanished.

Have finished it since.

There is also a bug in the witcher where when in vizima and working with the detective, the main story line just stops. Basically you are supposed to get a lead/quest update but it just doesn't happen. Luckily this only happened to me when replaying the witcher in anticipation of the witcher 3.

diablo900t

Oct 27, 2017
Tampa, FL
Pretty sure I encountered the bug in King's Quest 5 where you couldn't finish the game. I vaguely recall there being no workaround other than Sierra mailing a patch disk.

Jul 20, 2018
Death's Gambit would always crash during a required boss fight when he did a specific attack. Couldn't finish the game. Might start it again after the big update they're planning.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Some Gamecube copies of Beyond Good and Evil can't be finished. You get to a part where a character has to send you a code, and they just... don't. It can't be fixed by reloading or starting over. It's the disc. The disc is fucked.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Forced myself through the long civil war quest line in Skyrim, hours of boring fortess clean-outs, only for the final "boss" to be invuln-tagged so I couldn't kill it and finish the quest.

There was also an NPC that chased me across the entire realm and locked me in endless dialogue, but luckily I managed to find a workaround (paying off an unrelated bounty, yet he was never was actually hostile to me).

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Just recently I was finally getting around to finishing Sonic Mania, and I got trapped in the ground by jumping right before the Act 1 Mirage Saloon boss. I have Switch captures of it, but I'm not gonna upload unless the people demand it.

EDIT: should contextualize this by saying that I've been pretty lucky with glitches

Ruffy666

Oct 27, 2017
I've made a vow to mention in every relevant thread the progression-ending bug(s) in Knack 2 that have never been addressed by the developers. It's not as bad as ones that mess with your saves or your OS but it's basically wasted money because I can't play that game. I'm not even going to bother starting over since there's no way to guarantee you won't encounter the same bug again.

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
Not worst but quite an interesting one.

In oblivion there was this house on the southern map border. It was in the middle of no where and you could go into it. It had no map marker associated with it.

I went inside and found a largely empty house devoid of anything interesting.

When I came outside the house was a burning ruin and there was an oblivion gate standing in the middle of it.

Kabukimurder

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Grim Fandango crashed on a certain place in year 3 on almost every computer faster than 266mhz, including mine.

For a few weeks of despair i didn't think i would ever be able to continue my favorite game, but somehow i discovered that the crash wouldn't occur when Manny held a certain item in his hands, and i was able to continue the story.

The bug was later patched in 1.01:
  • YEAR 3 – A crash to the desktop on very fast machines (Pentium II-400s and higher) when the player approaches the giant crushers near the crane.
With all that ground breaking 3D-art you think they would have tested it on a very fast machine.