• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I got hit by the Soul Caliber 3 memory card corruption bug. Fucked up my saves of so many games, I was so pissed I think I didn't play PS2 again until Persona 3.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Skyrim. Had a bug where I couldn't finish a quest and had a companion stuck with me at all times. Had to restart the game after over 20 hours in. Still played the game for over 100 hours after that but it still sucked. I almost never start over when I lose that much progress.

Almyn

Oct 26, 2017
N-Ireland
Most recently Slay the Spire on Switch had a game breaking bug that would stop the game loading and just crash to the home screen. The save got corrupted. The only way around it was to delete and redownload the game or run it under a different profile. Either way your save and unlocks were gone. It got fixed a week or so later but along with all the other crash bugs it makes you wonder how it was launched like that in the first place.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Probably not the worst, but the one that stuck with me the most was one in Skyrim (shocker).

One of the Dark Brotherhood quests couldn't be completed if you were a Vampire, which I found infuriating because a) it's Vampires and the Dark Brotherhood, they go together like peanut butter and jelly, and b) I encountered this years after launch and everyone knew about it except me and there were multiple bugfix mods that got rid of it but I was on 360 so I was just shit out of luck thanks so much Bethesda you hacks.

Sorry, that last bit was uncalled for. Nonetheless I had to start over a character with ~60 hours of playtime because I had no save from before I was a Vampire. Lesson learned: no BGS games on console.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Phantasy Star online episode I & II - Gamecube. Had several level 100+ characters got wiped from save corruption.

Just recently Tales of Vesperia definitive edition - Switch with it's random crashes

TRTi95f.jpg

formatnone

Oct 31, 2017
Lithuania
got Mass Effect Andromeda for cheap, i thought if the game is as bad as everyone says i will loose just a small amount of money (loved Mass Effect Trilogy so wanted to check Andromeda too)...anyway launched the game, went to first planet, character went in to T pose and i couldn't make a first jump, needed to restart game from the beginning, second time i didn't even landed to first planet because the game crashed, deleted the game in rage, went to it back after a month or so....character went in to T pose on the first alien encounter.......never installing it again ever.

Twelvy

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo
I am one of the people whose PS3 cannot play Red Dead Redemption. When I am on my horse at the beginning of the game, after 1 minute or so, i'm stuck in the ground and I have to reboot my console (by keeping the power button down for a few seconds)

Feb 24, 2018
A glitched that completely killed my copy of Pokemon Blue and still don't know what it was, I thought Glitch City but it doesn't look like it, the moment I talked to anyone, saved etc, I'd get a blank speech box but just gibberish music and resetting the game just caused it to do the same when Oak starts talking.

A glitch thanks to Games for Windows Live (remember that?) that erased my save file for Batman Arkham City

The glitch for the PAL version of Digimon World that made the game unbeatable because you couldn't get into the Ogre Fortress

A glitch that caused my ME1 save file to go odd and ignore choices I made in ME2 like saving the council

And lastly the constant crashes I got with Fallout 4 after 20 hours a gameplay in my first playthrough.

Oct 27, 2017
Probably not the worst, but the one that stuck with me the most was one in Skyrim (shocker).

One of the Dark Brotherhood quests couldn't be completed if you were a Vampire, which I found infuriating because a) it's Vampires and the Dark Brotherhood, they go together like peanut butter and jelly, and b) I encountered this years after launch and everyone knew about it except me and there were multiple bugfix mods that got rid of it but I was on 360 so I was just shit out of luck thanks so much Bethesda you hacks.

Sorry, that last bit was uncalled for. Nonetheless I had to start over a character with ~60 hours of playtime because I had no save from before I was a Vampire. Lesson learned: no BGS games on console.

You don't have to apologize. Bethesda are hacks. What else do you call developers who take over bugs that were already fixed by your community years ago to new games?

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Not really a bug but Dead Rising's subtitles being so small you need a electron microscope to see them

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the PS3 version of Skyrim should have been recalled, not that the 360 version was much better

Deleted member 290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Far Cry 2 bug on PS3 where it glitched at the halfway point and left you incapable of accessing the second half of the map. Took Ubisoft forever to even replicate the problem, let alone fix it. Well over a year after release, iirc.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a bit of a glitch magnet, so here's some of the most notable ones:

- GTA: San Andreas on PC crashed at one point after I was 60-70% done with the game. Turns out my save simply disappeared.
- The indie game Pixel Piracy slows down to a crawl if you play the game as it's meant to be building a large ship and making a crew, so you're better off staying low level.
- I bought Ground Zeroes digitally around launch on X360 attracted by its low price, but for some reason the game would not budge from the splash screen no matter what I pressed or how many times I reinstalled. It eventually started working some days later after even support had no idea what was going on (it's rare for a big publisher game on consoles to not get past the first screen, that's for sure).

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
I got hit by the Soul Caliber 3 memory card corruption bug. Fucked up my saves of so many games, I was so pissed I think I didn't play PS2 again until Persona 3.

I think I unlocked all the art from Mission Battle mode for the first SoulCalibur on Dreamcast when the save got corrupted and it all disappeared.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Playing both Pathfinder: Kingmaker and Fallout 76 at launch only a few months apart was quite an experience. Pathfinder was extra frustrating because the game was incredibly enjoyable otherwise, only the main quest triggers around Pitax never worked properly after clearing out the dungeon/castle there and I couldn't even finish despite wanting to.

JRoth

Oct 26, 2017
Dragon Age Inquisition, on PS4 there is a bug that completely disables the map. Can't remember when this occurred, I was around 25 hours in and was doing the main quest line when I could no longer open up my map. Pretty much stopped playing after that since I was one too many saves in.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I owned a Japanese Dreamcast and the Japanese version of Sonic Adventure. If you think SA was bad as is... Geez.

I barely bypassed the update bug in Bloodstained.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Fallout 3 GOTY Edition on the PS3. It was literally, and I mean literally, a slideshow towards the end of my playthrough.

fossi8

One Winged Slayer
Apr 22, 2018
I remmeber playeing the Ducktales' nes rom and it was broken at the moon stage. Never found the complete rom.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Mass Effect 2 on PS3 had a bug where you could get frozen in the Normandy upgrade screen and it would wipe your whole save. Happened to me 20 hours in. A testament to how good that game was that I started up a new playthrough immediately and now barely remember it happened.

Eddie Bax

Oct 27, 2017
Nashville, TN
Right before the end of Deathspank: Thongs of Virtue on the 360, I encountered a bug where a named reindeer (you're going after Santa, IIRC) I needed to kill wouldn't appear. I looked online after much frustration, and saw that a few other people had the same bug, and they offered various solutions to getting it to spawn if it didn't the first time, mostly involving getting killed by other reindeer or killing yourself and then going back.

The one exception is if you killed all the reindeer, then quit the game, therefore auto-saving, the one you needed to kill would never appear when you loaded the game back up. Guess what I did?

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Beating the elite 4 in Pokemon Emerald and the game giving an error and wiping my save clean. Lost my team and never got to play any of the extra post-game stuff that Emerald gets praised for.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
off the top of my head i'd say the bug in project cars where any time you'd pit you'd leave the pit zone without tires. literally made me drop the game way before i was ready too and i never went back :(

Oct 27, 2017
I fell victim to the WWF No Mercy bug. First run of carts had a bug where your progress through story mode and everything you unlocked in the shop for your CAWs would be wiped at random. Had been hyped for that game for the best part of a year, was soul crushing at the time.

Kung Fucius

Jun 28, 2019
Fallout: New Vegas (PC Version)

I got locked in a room and couldn't get out. Plus the game autosaves whenever you enter a new area and New Vegas only had one save file that it kept overwriting VS Fallout 3's autosaving which made a new save for about 50 saves so you could go back quite a bit if you wanted to. I was about 100 hours into the game and had to start over. I immediately looked up a mod that changed the autosave system back to the way Fallout 3 had it.

Final Fantasy 7 (Playstation 1)

This is a long time ago so I only remember it vaguely. I had a problem where whenever I encountered a certain kind of enemy, the game would freeze/glitch up. I remember it was some kind of rabbit-like monster. I couldn't clear some dungeon/area, so I after an hour or two of trying to get past this area without encountering the monster, I just had a moment where I thought to myself, "I don't really like this game. It's not worth playing anymore" and I quit the game and never went back to it. To this day I think FF7 is one of the most overrated games ever.

I really liked FF4 and FF6 on the Super Nintendo and the main reason I bought a PS1 instead of an N64 was because FF7 was going to be on it.

Last edited:

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Swinging any weapon in Skyrim would play out in super slow motion on my 30 hour save game. Would take about 5 seconds from pressing the button to the actual hit. Never played started it again.

FuzzyAssassin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within. The game is notorious for having multiple game-ending glitches. I managed to avoid the more common one and make it to the very end of the game. However, I decided to save at the final save point instead of entering the final sand portal. This put my save into an unfinishable state where the portal wouldn't trigger, preventing me from fighting the final boss. Keep in mind this also predated YouTube, so I just didn't get to see the ending for a few years.

Always keep two saves.

TL;DR: Got to the very end of PoP:WW and a bug prevented me from fighting the final boss and seeing the ending.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Holy fuck has to be I, Diona quest bug from AC Odyssey (PS4).

I had to do this to progress the story,

It was so frustrating, 30+ minutes bumping and running into her to get her into the city.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within. The game is notorious for having multiple game-ending glitches. I managed to avoid the more common one and make it to the very end of the game. However, I decided to save at the final save point instead of entering the final sand portal. This put my save into an unfinishable state where the portal wouldn't trigger, preventing me from fighting the final boss. Keep in mind this also predated YouTube, so I just didn't get to see the ending for a few years.

Always keep two saves.

TL;DR: Got to the very end of PoP:WW and a bug prevented me from fighting the final boss and seeing the ending.
Interesting, I had a Warrior Within glitch that made me lost a huge amount of progress.

I don't remember it completely, but the idea is that close to the beginning of the game this huge door gets closed and you cannot go through it until you do some crazy time jumps (with the time mask and whatever) towards the end of the game. When I was at the end of this process, for some reason, instead of unlocking the door as it was supposed to, it replayed the same events exactly as the first time, and wanted me to go again through THE WHOLE GAME to open the door. Even the objective changed to the one I had hours prior. I checked it on Youtube, thinking I might have gone in the wrong timeline or whatever and NOPE, the door should be open by then, the game just got the wrong trigger and broke all the progress I had.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One of the older RPG titles. I cant remember the title sadly. But uninstalling it casued a deleting of a ton of windows systems files. It was a known problem. They finally fixed it. But not until after I had to reinstall windows

Zutrax

"This guy are sick"
Oct 31, 2017
If you would have asked me a few weeks ago I would have said "nothing major" which is surprising, but I've never had any big bugs ruin anything for me in my lifetime of gaming.

However, just a couple weeks back, that bug from patching the 1.01 version of Bloodstained on PS4 to the 1.02 version was a huge huge pain. I was like 10 hours into the game, but had to completely restart due to the chests being bugged out.

Zodzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Fez.

They had a patch that fixed a lot of bugs, but corrupted the save files of a few users.

I was one of those users and ended up getting stuck about halfway through.

Love that game to pieces though, so I restarted, replayed, and re-earned all the pieces I had lost until I got back to where the save was corrupted. Took about 6 more hours.

Ended up beating the game in the long run, I loved it so much.

Still, by far the worst bug I ever had.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy 7 (Playstation 1)

This is a long time ago so I only remember it vaguely. I had a problem where whenever I encountered a certain kind of enemy, the game would freeze/glitch up. I remember it was some kind of rabbit-like monster. I couldn't clear some dungeon/area, so I after an hour or two of trying to get past this area without encountering the monster, I just had a moment where I thought to myself, "I don't really like this game. It's not worth playing anymore" and I quit the game and never went back to it. To this day I think FF7 is one of the most overrated games ever.
Not a glitch. It would be well known. Sounds like your disc was scratched.

I had the same problem with FFVIII disc one, or a very similar one. The game would freeze every time Ifrit was summoned due to a scratch.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
In Rise of the Kasai for PS2, the last half of one mission glitched out and removed all walls, floors and ceilings, making it impossible to tell where you were or were going. I finally figured out a way to navigate by using the lamps, which did not disappear along with the walls, but even then it took a few hours and several dozen deaths.

Kung Fucius

Jun 28, 2019
Not a glitch. It would be well known. Sounds like your disc was scratched.

I had the same problem with FFVIII disc one, or a very similar one. The game would freeze every time Ifrit was summoned due to a scratch.
I was a kid at the time though, so I didn't know better. I ended up selling these particular discs later on ebay for about 70 - 100 bucks. Hope the guy that bought them buffed out the scratches.

Kraq

Oct 25, 2017
Fallout 3. The game world failed to load in the middle of DC and I kept falling through the ground almost as soon as I spawned in. Restarting my game didn't fix it so that was it for that save file.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
I think it was MadWorld on the Wii. One level I kept losing on because the game would freeze and stop loading any time I came close to beating it. It was very frustrating.

Alent

"This guy are sick"
Oct 28, 2017
Had a bunch of bad ones in the backend of Saints Row IV. It's been a long time now so my memory isn't great anymore but there one level where you have to go around shouting over the top of a political rally or something? But none of the voices were playing so it was just creepily silent as i'm pile driving people into the pavement.

In the final level you have to protect a "key" that's travelling along a rail, but the first time i tried the key got stuck under the starting platform so i just spent nearly 20 minutes killing respawning dudes not understanding what i was supposed to be doing. And flying a VTOL once i swear the framrate dropped into single digits for a few seconds. Was really jarring.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Skyrim on ps3. Got through the initial cutscene, created my character, and as soon as I could move after the dragon first attacks the game crashes. Had to unplug the ps3. Gave it another chance a few weeks later and was able to escape the fort, but I think something else glitched and no story missions were available.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Undoubtedly something by Bethesda like the Fallout 4 expansions. One of them got so bad on 360 I literally couldn't do a thing in the game anymore because it kept crashing. Same happened with New Vegas towards the end (though that's technically Obsidian).