• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Worst Fictional Corporation

• Aperture Science and/or Black Mesa (Portal/Half-Life)

Votes: 20 3.9%
  • Umbrella Corporation (Resident Evil)

Votes: 334 65.1%
  • Union Aerospace Corporation (Doom)

Votes: 56 10.9%
  • Abstergo (Assassin's Creed)

Votes: 18 3.5%
  • Armacham (F.E.A.R.)

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Shinra (Final Fantasy)

Votes: 49 9.6%
  • Other

Votes: 34 6.6%

• Total voters

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
i really dont get the endgame of.... basically anything Umbrella does. Makes no sense. It's moustache twirling evil for the sake of being evil and stupid. I had Vault-tek in mind when i entered the thread, but the experiments had a purpose, as arbitrary as some of them could do. I fail to see any practical application of the shit Umbrella tries to do (and always fail to).

Movie Umbrella is just pants on head stupid on top of being evil.

Like they caused the apocalypse and have all these underground bunkers and vast amounts of resources, but they seem intent on further advancing their bio weapons for...reasons. Most of the world is dead and they still sink everything into making super soldiers and their staff seems a-ok with it. Nevermind they don't even need said super soldiers as they probably have the most powerful conventional military post-apocalypse anyways.

I can't really think of another company in this list that seems unsatisfied with ending the world just once.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Faro Automated Solutions: destroys the world with robots that can self-replicate and then afterwards their CEO destroys the entire accumulated knowledge of human history that is set up to educate the people that come afterwards.
As I got near the end of the game I was legit pissed at Ted Faro.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
220px-Tom_Nook.png

Pennybags

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
DOOM 2016's UAC has to be the worst of these.

Willingly consorting with demons to the point of official workplace propaganda encouraging cooperation and causing the forces Hell to invade THROUGHOUT THE SOLAR SYSTEM (as seen in the sequel)

The others either lack willful malevolence or are more limited in scope.

Black Mesa lead to the subjugation of the solar system by an interdimensional coalition, but that was an accident with possible manipulation by an outside party.

Last edited:

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
Only because they were lucky enough to live in a world with a President that was willing to order a nuclear strike on an American city.
Yeah, but again, one American city as you said. The invasion of Earth by demons was a worldwide affair. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, the Icon of Sin was about to merge Hell with Earth

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Voted for Umbrella, but Providence in Hitman is also something.

One of my fav dialog in-game, timestamped at 5:56 :

Last edited:

OldGamer

Jul 6, 2019
Does the Magog Cartel in the Oddworld games count? Owns all sorts of outright evil facilities. They have driven countless beings to extinction for the sake of factory and food production all to satisfy the greed and wealth of the Glukkons.

As fucked up as the company that planned to promote cannibalism?

mudokanpop.png

Not entirely sure if it is cannibalism dealing with different seemingly alien beings, but the Modokuns were definitely being processed into meat, and that was after being slaves working for RuptureFarms as they were processing a different species to extinction. After they went extinct, they turned to the slave labor in desperation as a substitute.

In addition, Munch's Odyssee reveals that the Vykker's Conglomerate in association with the Magog Cartel was involved in the near extinction of another sentient being, the Gabbits, due to the demand for both their eggs (as food) and their lungs to the point that the premise is obtaining the last can of "Gabbiar" as the last surviving member of your species.

Last edited:

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
It's Faro Automated Solutions.

Planet wide mass extinction that took 1000 or so years to fix.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
As fucked up as the company that planned to promote cannibalism?

mudokanpop.png
Not sure if it's cannibalism when it's another species eating that stuff but processing sapient creatures into food and driving them to extinction is still nasty. In a similar vein, the titular fast food chain from Orion Burger, they harvest all life on a planet to produce their burgers, they're theoretically not allowed to process intelligent life but they cheat the regulations and the game is about a human trying to deal with their BS tasks to prevent them from harvesting Earth.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
How is it that Umbrella is top rated!? Yeah they suck, but they didn't LITERALLY SUMMON DEMONS FROM HELL.

RicJFNas

Oct 28, 2017
For me that would Umbrella, they just keep making huge disaster after huge disaster. It's all about that sweet sweet profit.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
It's Umbrella. Just to go over a few points of their "resume" of sorts:

-Spencer, the president of Umbrella, is essentially a power hungry trillionaire who wants to play God and believes himself superior to other humans, everyone and everything is disposable to him to reach his goals to live forever and take over humanity's evolutionary direction.
-The people who founded Umbrella alongside Spencer are no better and are a bunch of back-stabbing slimeballs who want a bigger slice of the Umbrella pie.
-They really don't give two shits at what their ambitions will cost, they actively began secret human experimentation almost immediately upon starting up their business. Men, women, children, elderly, even animals of all kinds, literally all life is disposable for their goals in Umbrella's eyes.
-Canonically they hired nazis to fund their continued human experimentation experiments, and Umbrella believes in "superior bloodline" and genetics, which is how the Wesker Children project got started (and it's not a coincidence Wesker and Alex were blue-eyed, blond-haired people before the virus injections).
-They accidentally made literal monsters out of humans with their experiments, and decided, "Hey, y'know what? There's probably a market for this!"
-Some of the things they did even to their supposed allies and friends are horrific. Case in point what they did to George Trevor and his daughter, Lisa.
-Have consistently shown they care a lot more about burying the truth than preventing any accidents from occurring. In Raccoon City they literally unleashed their most powerful B.O.W.s onto the town in their Tyrants and Nemesis to kill the remaining survivors and bury the evidence over anything else.

There's more to talk about in just how fucking evil they are, but they're not only evil, they're also greatly incompetent .

-They've had more than a few outbreaks of their terrible monsters and viruses starting great catastrophes in their wake.
-Despite trying to make B.O.W.s to be killing machines, how effective most of them truly are as weapons is quite debatable.
-Their tendency towards back-stabbing over loyalty leads to some of their key players, such as Albert Wesker, to jump ship. Or to actively kill their golden gooses, like they did with Marcus, just to claim their achievements as their own (some real ego on some of the people there).
-They go out in the most mundane way possible in universe (their company's stocks go under after Raccoon City).
-Their existence and downfall literally leads to a huge rise in global terrorism.

There's more, but yeah, they're the worst.

Darkonda

May 23, 2018
Faro Automated Solutions.

Let's make unhackable self replicating war machines that run on biomass.

tenor.gif

It's the most horrifying prelude to a robot apocalypse I've ever heard of.

Last edited:

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
It's gotta be Aperture. Why does that company even exist?
Let's compare them to the rest of the bunch:

The Union Aerospace Corporation is a multiplanetary megacorp, which has a complete monopoly on probably just about everything because no other company exists anymore. Aperture Science struggles to even LAND any contracts:
latest

Umbrella Corporation folded due to events largely outside their own control, but they always stayed laser-focussed true to their vision: to fuck up the world with weird biomutants, eventually being on track to "complete global saturation". Aperture Science can't even stick to a simple job description:
latest

Whatever Abstergo is actually doing, it has a lot of decently performing subsidies while Aperture hasn't had a commercially viable product in years. Armacham at least moves tons of militery equipment.

The Shinra Building

The Aperture Science shack

Need I say more?

I'd highly advise against investing in Aperture Science.