• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Worst Fictional Corporation

• Aperture Science and/or Black Mesa (Portal/Half-Life)

Votes: 20 3.9%
  • Umbrella Corporation (Resident Evil)

Votes: 334 65.1%
  • Union Aerospace Corporation (Doom)

Votes: 56 10.9%
  • Abstergo (Assassin's Creed)

Votes: 18 3.5%
  • Armacham (F.E.A.R.)

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Shinra (Final Fantasy)

Votes: 49 9.6%
  • Other

Votes: 34 6.6%

• Total voters

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Edit: Alright it's early so this one skipped my mind but it definitely should've made the list

Faro Automated Solutions: Ended the world, destroyed the attempt to rebuild it so no one would know it was the CEO's fault, then almost destroyed it the 2nd time around. Fuck you, Ted.

3ae4de6302fbb0a0727db72402804e0f.jpg
xv9tuavqsub11.png

Aperture: Created an insane AI capable of wiping the entire facility of human life, along with several interesting but clearly dangerous inventions

Black Mesa: Opened a portal to another plane from which aliens emerged, kickstarting the invasion and subjugation of the human race

97-970624_umbrella-corporation-logo-png.png

Umbrella: Pharmaceutical giant responsible for several large-scale viral outbreaks across the globe, countless deaths, and several terrorist organizations

UAC: Tried to solve energy crisis utilizing the power of Hell, then lost control causing an invasion of both Mars and Earth by Hell

logo-abstergo-industries-font-vector-graphics-brand-png-favpng-mVVBB5G8EfxQpATT9ykVvMT3t.jpg

Abstergo: Effectively founded by the Templars/Illuminati working in the background of human history since Greece to utilize ancient technology to subjugate humanity. They also made several popular video games, some of which you've probably played

176502_1.jpg

Armacham: Created clone army of super soldiers controlled by a psychic cannibal after experimenting on his psychic mother, eventually leading to her ghost wreaking havoc on their facility and then her zombie doing the same to the planet.

latest

Shinra: Alien fell from the sky and they did experiments on it to create super soldiers and are also progressively sucking the planet dry using magic nuclear reactors that run on life force

Special mention to Fontaine Futuristics (Bioshock) for creating an outbreak of super-powered drug addicts, Ultratech (Killer Instinct) for being more-evil Walmart, and Phenotrans (Dead Rising) for manufacturing a cure for zombification and then causing more outbreaks to keep the cure profitable

Last edited:

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
Umbrella because they're absolutely shite at developing competent bio-weapons and even worse at containing them.

randomlee26

Oct 27, 2017
Umbrella's containment team sucked big time, but Shinra nearly (or did, can't remember) caused the end of the world

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
Umbrella sucks, but the idiocy it takes to go, "sure we'll fuck around with literal Hell, what could go wrong?" is kind of unbeatable imo

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Umbrella is not even on the same league as the others, it's HARD to be so bad at their job, all they did in RE1 through CV was fucking everything they touched.

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's gotta be UAC or Black Mesa for what they caused, but Umbrella are just bad at their jobs lol

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Black Mesa and Aperture Science aren't really that bad.

UAC is probably the worst. killing 90% of human life or whatever in doom 2 is pretty fucked

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland
Most of the companies you listed were established with good intentions but fucked up at some point. Umbrella, from the very start, was established to create bio-weapons (and it uses humans as test subjects to do so, people captured from all over the world) and to create a new step in man evolution (which includes eugenics, gene manipulations and classism). Also the founders were a bunch of backstabbing bastards who could easily kill each other in order to get more power over the company.

Various virus outbreaks and overall incompetency are just an icing on the cake.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Distracted by the weird tilt on the logo and being fairly certain based on the font that the image in the OP is from those godawful live-action films rather than the actual games, but Umbrella were the first ones that came to mind.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's fair to entirely blame Black Mesa for what happened, given that it's implied G-Man was involved somehow.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
All of these companies are literally ruining the worlds they inhabit.

Edit: I'll call the worst Umbrella since y'know zombies.

Jan 29, 2018
I was going to say Faro Industries from Horizon, but maybe that's just absolute worst CEO? Umbrella from RE has plenty of true believers, it seems.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Faro Automated Solutions: destroys the world with robots that can self-replicate and then afterwards their CEO destroys the entire accumulated knowledge of human history that is set up to educate the people that come afterwards.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Faro Automated Solutions from Horizon Zero Dawn.
literally wiped out the entire planet, like to the point of destroying almost the entire surface of the planet. The CEO also sabotaged humanites lost hope because it made him look bad, by wiping all the records of human history.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine Umbrella is run by Michael Scott if he was down-right evil but otherwise the exact same person.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
literally wiped out the entire planet and like to the point of destroyed almost the entire surface of the planet.
at this point, Faro corp was already overtaken by someone else, the big bad wolf was Faro himself who let the door open

Deleted member 1003

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can I say Trinity from Tomb Raider reboot? They could be a corporation or are they just a cult? Either way, they are lame and dumb.

I would argue that Umbrella is pretty bad and closest to modern day corporations.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
UAC is undeniably fucked up (and I feel like a year or two ago they would have been my choice here) but one could at least argue that an energy crisis leads to desperation to preserve the status quo. Not that it's justification, but it at least explains Samuel Hayden's actions.

Umbrella as a company was founded from day 1 to promote eugenics. So, uh, Umbrella wins.

Last edited:

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
How about Faro Automated Solutions?

They created technology that nearly wiped out all biomass on Earth and when they realized what they had done set a plan in motion to save humanity BUT at the last second decided to wipe all of humanity's knowledge. Before that they were basically just a shitty military weapons supplier.

Deleted member 5593

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Faro Automated Solutions: destroys the world with robots that can self-replicate and then afterwards their CEO destroys the entire accumulated knowledge of human history that is set up to educate the people that come afterwards.
This and UAC from Doom

Gurgelhals

Oct 27, 2017
These motherfuckers right here

4b00107ae1c3cab220619d55f0afb5ac--corporate-logos-shadowrun.jpg

They're one of the megacorps from the Shadowrun universe and while all of them are bad news, they're arguable the worst. They're a group of Mexican drug cartels that got together and formed a megacorp, but it gets even worse: They engage in something called blood magic and they use it to actively try and bring the Shadowrun equivalent of Cthulhu into this world. Why? Because fuck you, that's why. Kinda hard to top that.

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Umbrella was literally the first corporation to come to mind, so I was glad to see it in the poll options.

It's easily Umbrella, although UAC deserves mention because...you know...messing with HELL causes some things to go a little crazy.

Mama Robotnik

Gaming Scholar
Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to see Umbrella's accounts and shareholder updates. How the hell does their business model work?

I get the intentions of all the other companies, and can see either the profit drive or market demand. But I cannot figure out a legitimate business model that makes even the slightest bit of sense for Umbrella.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Umbrella.

The worst thing is they didn't get brought down by the heroes, they got brought down by the stock market, lol.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
UAC is undeniably fucked up but one could at least argue that an energy crisis leads to desperation to preserve the status quo. Not that it's justification, but it at least explains Samuel Hayden's actions.

Umbrella as a company was founded from day 1 to promote eugenics. So, uh, Umbrella wins.
Umbrella never managed to cause global apocalypse yet in the games. That puts them below Faro and UAC in terms of consequences.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
I immediately thought of Umbrella Corp. The RE series has really sold that organization as being wholly corrupt and evil.

Edit
Faro Industries is a close 2nd but I think Faro's issues were mainly one person, whereas Umbrella seems like the whole entity is shit.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
at this point, Faro corp was already overtaken by someone else, the big bad wolf was Faro himself who let the door open
They had already long set the end of all life on earth in motion, they were single handily responsible for that. They were taken over for Project Zero Dawn, basically just supplying funding and resources. Faro fucked with that though.

OP
OP
Z-Beat

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
literally wiped out the entire planet, like to the point of destroying almost the entire surface of the planet. The CEO also sabotaged humanites lost hope because it made him look bad, by wiping all the records of human history.
Fuck this should've been on the poll but I completely forgot

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to see Umbrella's accounts and shareholder updates. How the hell does their business model work?

I get the intentions of all the other companies, and can see either the profit drive or market demand. But I cannot figure out a legitimate business model that makes even the slightest bit of sense for Umbrella.
Umbrella had their extremely successful pharmaceuticals business as a front. Their secret eugenics plan to create bio-engineered super humans who would eventually overtake the regular human population was only known by a select few executives who were bought into it.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I vote Umbrella because all the insane shit they get up to is 100% their own doing. Black Mesa and UAC fuck up real bad, but they at least didn't create the hostile alien or extra-dimensional demonic forces they they accidentally ushered in. If the RE series existed in a world with the potential to have portals to hell or alien invasions, Umbrella would have caused Earth to be an empty husk by like the third game.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
I have to go with Union Aerospace... Most of those other corporations at least we're trying to do something other than destroy the world but made mistakes. UNION AEROSPACE was just like, fuck it let's open portals to hell!

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Umbrella.

The worst thing is they didn't get brought down by the heroes, they got brought down by the stock market, lol.
The courts and the stock market, anyway. Either way, I actually found it refreshing that they were brought down in such a way rather than some dramatic showdown with the heroes who survived previous games.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
IFfsAzH.png

9G0dPqk.jpg

Gonna go with Rupture Farms.

Some evil corps will just blow you up.

Rupture has the audacity to not only kill you but make you someone's lunch.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, I'm going with Faro Automated Solutions...
1514330612915.png

I have never wanted a game to introduce time-travel so bad just so I can go back in time millions of years and punch their CEO in the throat.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
latest

Blackwatch from Prototype are so fucking hilariously evil that it's embarrassing. Not only are they a US sanctioned black ops military force but they also create biological weapons, and based on shit you find/hear about their troops you'd be forgiven for thinking that they're basically a fascistic supervillain rogues gallery that only hire psychotic serial killers, since multiple of their operatives express fetishistic joy in committing what's basically multiple war crimes. The kicker? Somehow these guys are above the military. Their creed is some fucking cartoon villain shit.

"When we hunt, we kill!
No one is safe!
Nothing is sacred!
We are Blackwatch!
We are the last line of defense!
We will burn our own to hold the red line,
it is the last line to ever hold!"

I'm pretty sure there's even a character in the game that compares them to nazis. The amount of edge this game has is ridiculous.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Faro was already bad before the CEO pulled his final dick move.

They instigated wars to profit off their machines and then the accident happened in their race to produce the most devastating line of military robots.