• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kunjiru

Apr 14, 2020
Resident Evil 7 and the trap room made by Lucas. I didn't know I had to walk under water to clean the telescope since the whole game the only way I had to do something was by interacting with it and then choosing an item from inventory. Got it by accident and was like "ok dude"

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had a friend who sometime right before Halo 3 came out realized that certain weapons would be a one shot headshot on unshielded enemies.

He just always aimed center mass and treated every enemy like a bullet sponge. He was not good at shooters but this was just mind blowing when we found out he didn't know.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I beat Psycho Mantis without realizing the proper way of doing it. I slowly punched him to death. It took forever, and I had to start over soooo many times.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Sonic 3

hqdefault.jpg

Fuck you Barrel!
I never had to experience this myself, but is it actually possible to clear the barrel if you tried just jumping on it?

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
On my first playthrough of Max Payne, I had no idea you could dive or slowdown time until I got to the Finito Brothers. I hit the dodge button out of sheer panic. I felt like a fool.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
Sonic Adventure 2, the final battle in space against the biolizard as Super Sonic/Super Shadow. I didn't realize the "dash" allowed you to change what vector/plane you were on, so I kept attacking the weak points the hard way. Came really close to winning that way once, but otherwise just kept losing over and over. I had to quit and come back before I realized what I was doing wrong, and after that it was ridiculously easy.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Clicking R3 to lock on in Bloodborne

The additional quick menu you can access by pressing the touch pad. To this date some control map images don't mention it.

It's perfect for antidotes, sedatives, and such, so you don't need to cycle through the D-pad menu in the heat of fight. I wish I had known that before fighting bosses like Blood-starved Beast. Never would have needed to switch back and forth between fire paper/molotovs and antidotes, and end up being killed for doing so.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I didn't realize there was a parry mechanic in MGRR until the Monsoon fight.

In my defense, the game didn't particularly make me learn there was one until then, aside from the gorillas seeming weirdly difficult.
I knew it was there but I didnt understand it. I thought you had to flick the stick to where the attack was coming from as in up if the attack is above raiden and down if it comes from below. It wasnt like that and I didnt realize until the monsoon fight.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
When I was a kid starting a game in Link to the Past at a friend's house:

Friend: You're supposed to leave the house.
Me: But the uncle told me to stay here.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Fallout 1: I knew you only had idiot dialogue optics with low intelligence, but I hadn't realized until I tried to get out of a gang assassination mission in Junktown. My INT of 4 basically made it impossible to finish the quest without becoming public enemy #1 of Junktown.

Nilson

Nov 5, 2017
Pretty much every JRPG battle system has its little way to be broken and this is why I love them. The element grid in Chrono Cross, the AP/Combo system in Xenogears, the whatever the thing is in Xenoblade 2, the Persona "not Pokémon at all, I swear" battles... And, of course, the junction system in Final Fantasy VIII. Finally coming around junctionning was a HUGE step. When I did, I came around it and broke the game my way, which was definitely part of the pleasure (turning ennemies into cards, refining cards into objects, objects into magic, poof, profit)

JRPGs are fun. Also, I need a life.
Would add Xenosaga ep 1 to this list, stopped halfway through my original play through once I saw how you could break the early game with the right level ups

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Mikiri Counter in Sekiro. I didn't learn how to do it until Isshin and then I was like "oh this game isn't THAT impossible"

OP
OP
aiswyda

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Played FF XIV for... Too long before I learned you can just click the aetheryte crystal on the map to teleport there. I was using the map to get the name of the specific crystal then selecting it from the teleport menu...

If it helps, the other day I read a twitter thread that someone didn't realize Aetherytes unlocked the ability to teleport—they thought it just changed where you respawned (which they didn't want to do so they never attuned to any other than the original). Think that's way worse LOL
Actually now that I think about it:

The Meryl codec frequency in MGS1 is a big one. Thank god the game actually calls you and tells you after a while, because I remember going fucking crazy trying to spin around the REX data disc Baker gave you and you had in your inventory.
Oh I did this too. I was playing the PS3 collection and flipped through every item in game and ran around looking for a disc EVERYWHERE. We had to literally google it (friend was watching me play) because I had spent like 30 mins just absolutely lost.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
How to use the subweapon souls in Castlevania Aria of Sorrow. It was my first Castlevania game and there was no tutorial on how to use that particular soul type. Eventually googled it and realized that was just the series control scheme and felt like a total dumbass.

basic_text

Oct 27, 2017
Derby, UK
Honest question, but is this a good or bad thing? I've heard generally great things about this game, but not if it's going to make me feel like an idiot. LOL

A little from column A, a little from column B to be honest.

It definitely doesn't make you feel stupid, more a case of the more new skills I learned, the more I forgot about the earlier aquired ones.

Fun game!

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I am going to echo
Supraland!
I live this game but let's be honest, I am not start enough to get through it.
Every time I have been really stuck, I go look up the solution to a puzzle and every single time I'm like...damn that was obvious - and yet, I may never have solved it on my own.
Great game BTW. Highly recommended if you like Metroidvanias with a LOT of tough puzzling.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
A little from column A, a little from column B to be honest.

It definitely doesn't make you feel stupid, more a case of the more new skills I learned, the more I forgot about the earlier aquired ones.

Fun game!
Cool -- thank you (and also Mudo, thanks for your input too!). I have it, which I think was from a past Humble Monthly? But I haven't started it yet. I might just do that later. :)

Artifice

Oct 30, 2017
I played the sniper section in TLOU and it was surprisingly difficult and frustrating (multiple restarts). Later when replaying on grounded I found that I had missed a prompt to zoom in and that I had initially played that section without zooming in. Finished that section in a single try after I was able to zoom in.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Honest question, but is this a good or bad thing? I've heard generally great things about this game, but not if it's going to make me feel like an idiot. LOL

Are you good at puzzles? This world is basically 1 giant puzzle with things you have to figure out around every corner. Logic, using the abilitiesyou have etc. but for me it's so overwhelming I just can't figure some out. I still love it.

Supraland 2 is in development and the creator is well aware of the trouble people had in the first game and is saying the sequel will improve it in all areas.

Still, it's cheap and totally worth it imo.
The DLC "Crash" though I would read up on first. It's a whole different beast and that could be good or bad depending on what you like.

Jun 23, 2019
I have a pretty embarrassing one. I played Beyond Good and Evil as a teenager and loved it until I got about 1/3 through the game where you have to infiltrate a warehouse and came upon my first ever example of "tight place loading zone". Only issue is that I literally could not figure out how to get past this gap. I thought maybe I needed a key or to pull a secret level to make the gap bigger, but nope. I got so mad, I stopped playing the game. Years later, I came back to the game as an adult and immediately realized I needed to push forward on the stick to squeeze through the gap and beat the game finally. 😂

DeadMoonKing

Nov 6, 2017
Figured out the combat system (well, Asbel's sheathed/unsheathed thing) in Tales of Graces f literally in the last dungeon.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
I couldnt get past this without my dad until I was like 15.

I thought you had to jump on it over and over and time it well.

I felt like such a fucking idiot when I worked out you just push up and down.

Got stuck there too and bought a guide. I don't think any of the Sonic games required you to press up or down before that point, so you were conditioned into not pressing them except to look up or down.

Another one I got stuck on was the god damn goat puzzle in the original version of Broken Sword. So simple when you knnw how, but maddening if you don't. Similar kind of problem in a way, but rather than requiring control inputs that had never been communicated as necessary before, this required you solve a puzzle in a way not even hinted as being possible previously. You had to "fail" the puzzle to solve it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 72415

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 18, 2020
I remember reading a post about someone who completed bloodborne without knowing how to use the O button.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm probably going to get chastised for this but

I never had an N64 so I didn't get to play OoT when it came out. I played the 3DS remake of OoT and when I did the entirety of the water temple, I found it to be a surprisingly difficult section so early in the game but managed to get through it with a slight struggle (I hated shadow temple, worst one for me). Going up and down changing water levels was cool, but I found constantly going up and down for breath made it kinda annoying.

I didn't find out until AFTER I beat the water temple that there's a blue tunic that lets you breathe underwater...that you're supposed to get before going into the water temple.
Damn that must have been insanely difficult. You win the thread.

Oct 25, 2017
I never thought TWEWY on DS "felt bad" but I think I only managed one of those 'mega attacks' that take up both screens only a handful of times.

You feel like a GOD.

LilScooby77

Dec 11, 2019
Smash ultimate online against characters that no one picks has me realize things as I'm getting red screened.

JumbiePrime

Feb 16, 2019
Bklyn
Weapon scaling in Dark Souls 1 when I first started playing ..it really is super simple but no matter how much people explained to me I just didn't get it till more than 30 hrs into the game ..jeez..

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I didn't understand the junction system as a kid in Final Fantasy VIII until I reached the 4th CD. I eventually reached the last boss but could never defeat her. Played the game again a year later and couldn't believe how broken the game really is. All love FF 8 though

Same lol

Defeated most bosses on GF spamming, but i had to learn the system after dying at Griever dozens of times (Shockwave Pulsar had like 6500 damage to the entire party, while each character got like 3500 HP). But even then, everyone still had their initial weapon so i finished the game using offensive magic like meteor.

It was pretty bizarre to play it a second time after understanding how stuff works. It was possible to defeat the final boss in less than 10 minutes when i took at least 2 hours back then lmao.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
In THPS3 I feel like reverts and manuals as combo extenders was never explained properly in the early 2000s. At least in my pubescent mind. If there was ever a franchise that changed completely in my eyes when I learned to chain them together, as a kid.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
After playing BOTW for around 100 hours, I finally went to go beat Ganon. I was doing just fine, but then I got him to his 'invincible' form, and...

I had no clue how to damage him. I managed to break his 'shield' a couple times using Daruk's ability, but when it was out of charges I was stumped. I messed around with different strategies and ideas for quite a long time before finally caving and looking it up, only to discover that you have to parry/flurry him. Which... is something I literally never did in the entire game. Ever.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
The first time I played through Donkey Kong Country 3, I think it took until world 3 or 4 to figure out there was a run button. That made the bee level interesting.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
In OoT, I fought Ganon for over two hours, hitting him over and over again with the Biggoron Sword. Holy shit, how much life does this motherfucker have!? Eventually I thought oh, maybe I should try using the Master Sword, hit him once, and that was that.

I also beat Psycho Mantis in MGS1 without changing my controller to the other port. Apparently, if you just keep shooting/swinging, you will occasionally hit him. So I did that for a couple hours, and he eventually went down.

Oct 25, 2017
I found out you can do such a thing after being stuck on the final boss for 2+ hours and looking up a video...
I remember being pissed about Armstrong's healing and being completely stumped. I went to youtube and found out all you had to do was run around to his backside to get the healing thing rather than attacking him head on. I remember feeling like a total dumbass.

Dec 21, 2017
Back in the day, I used the bloody gear for health from Gears of War as a crosshair in the opening level. Whoops!

FooF

One Winged Slayer
Mar 24, 2020
every time i pick up a fighting game and learn something new. The one i remember the most was trying to do a z input by doing a z on the thumb stick turns out it's just right down right, honestly took much long than i'm willing to admit to work that out.

GlassCup64

Dec 16, 2017
I was playing through the adventure mode of Hyrule Warriors this morning and was getting annoyed at having to grind missions to gain bombs and other such items. That's when I inadvertently pressed the + button and discovered I could buy these items with rupees from the very beginning. Wtf.
Wait, really? I actually didn't know you could collect those items without playing the same missions over and over...

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
Gambits in FF12 and that essential move in Ninja Gaiden were you charge quickly after a kill, can't remember but I found out late.

Recently I saw there was an option to ping items in TLOU2. Second playthrough for that.