• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Yup. It actually got to the point where I got completely turned off the character and I'm to the point where I actually kinda dislike him now.

Agreed. And since Prometheus in this was essentially written to be "evil Batman" it sorta hilighted what exactly was bothering me and was more or less the turning point for me to dislike Batman too.
It's funny because even at his wankest, Batman couldn't have done that.

He maybe have been able to pull of the Deathstroke beat down, but the Prometheus stuff didn't even work with how his abilities actually supposed to operate.

Batman is supposed to be the man with the plan, ie unlimited planning + unlimited resources can give him the edge against even the strongest of foes.

Prometheus had this fight when, by his own admitting, his plans had failed. It was a situation he didn't plan for yet there he is dropping Red Tornado, Plastic Man, Zatanna, Star Man and Black Canary like they were nothing.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Rule 34 artists have lots of experience with this.

Oh wait, that's not what you meant.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
220px-WesleyCrusher2366.jpg

It got pretty bad with Wesley Crusher from Star Trek. I remember the actor did a review of some of the episodes he was in years later and even he was annoyed at his character!

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
What are the worst examples when a writer wanks off a character in order to show how awesome they are but its done in such an obnoxious way that you can't help but roll your eyes at it. For me, It's Bakugo in the upcoming arc of the anime and the JT arc from the manga:

latest

So in this arc, Class1A and 1B are doing training rounds against each other. In Bakugo's round, he beats a recommended student and pretty much manhandles everyone with no one on his team losing and this is all done in 2 chapters while everyone is praising him for doing what others have done from the start.....cooperation. I mean Todoroki, like one of the class's strongest struggled and got knocked out along with Tokoyami in the round before that. It's even more jarring when after that, All Might says Bakugo is a good childhood friend/good friend, despite him doing nothing but bully Midoriya for most of that and having done nothing to show any kind of good friend behavior. Yeah this was pretty bad

lmao I saw the title thread and literally came here to post the exact same thing.

And you just know BONES are gonna make it ten times worse in the anime.

Oct 27, 2017
The Doctor in the last season of Voyager. It felt like he became the main character that the rest of the show revolved around.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Jesus himself. Our Lord and Savior Kirito.
latest
I'll raise you with this:
433f2e6cfff58214524f6639a605e435fa2a558c_00.jpg

Tatsuya Shiba from Irregular at the Magic High School. Dude can:
Re-write peoples internal magic code to literally undo time thus saving them or himself from actually dying from a mortal wound as long as it is within a 24 hour period.
Among other things.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Deathstroke tripped the flash and took GL's ring from him by being more willful

Dougieflesh

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Milky Way Ghetto

Re-write peoples internal magic code to literally undo time thus saving them or himself from actually dying from a mortal wound as long as it is within a 24 hour period.
Among other things.
They both are at the top of the list for self-insert overpowered harem kings.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Prometheus in Justice League Cry for Justice (a horrible book anyways)

8gpazWl.jpg

Dude takes down some of the most powerful members of the Justice League in seconds.

Not even Deathstroke in equally awful Identity Crisis was that out of character powerful.

Didn't Prometheus take out the entire big 7 Justice League in his introduction in Morrison's run (until he was taken out by my choice for this thread, Morrison's JLA Batman)?

At least, unlike earlier in the story when Robinson kills off a bunch of characters, Prometheus didn't off a major hero. Unlike, say, the daughter of the Mist in Starman (which is still an amazing run).

loco

Jan 6, 2021
Rick and morty the thread
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty. The humor is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Rick's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation - his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realize that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Rick and Morty truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Rick's existencial catchphrase "Wubba Lubba Dub Dub," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Dan Harmon's genius unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools... how I pity them.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yujiro Hanma from Grappler Baki. A series that has been running for 3 decades and he's never even come close to being beaten. Took on the entire US army in Vietnam for training and won, made the USA sign a peace treaty with himself, defeats everyone without even trying including a caveman that killed T Rex's with his bare hands. Can bunch the ground hard enough to stop earthquakes, hit by lightning and not even flinch and so on.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Kirito made me drop SAO, so that.

However:

Taita from Wilbur Smith's Egyptian series. Pretty much the da Vinci of Ancient Egypt and perfect in every conceivable way except for been a eunuch.

71551WpiZHL.jpg

Oh a man of culture I see.

I kinda lost track of the series when he made him a fucking wizard.

Like River God is great and then the books drop the first-person POV and every book after that gets more outlandish and you have Taita being the Gandalf of Ancient Egypt.

And then he finds the Fountain of Youth, brings Lostris back from the dead and I was out.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Didn't Prometheus take out the entire big 7 Justice League in his introduction in Morrison's run (until he was taken out by my choice for this thread, Morrison's JLA Batman)?

At least, unlike earlier in the story when Robinson kills off a bunch of characters, Prometheus didn't off a major hero. Unlike, say, the daughter of the Mist in Starman (which is still an amazing run).
Difference is he didn't do it in a single ludicrous page. I have no problem with him winning, its the ridiculously over the top way he does it.

Taking out those characters would be any entire issue of a good book and would come with Prometheus having to outsmart them as they got their own hits in, instead he just jobs them all out in seconds.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Difference is he didn't do it in a single ludicrous page. I have no problem with him winning, its the ridiculously over the top way he does it.

Taking out those characters would be any entire issue of a good book and would come with Prometheus having to outsmart them as they got their own hits in, instead he just jobs them all out in seconds.

Well, as you stated, this was not a good book. In all of that crap that Robinson wrote (and I love Robinson's earlier works but man), this was like the least of the book's foibles (the worst being that they continued the story with that Rise of Arsenal book with that cat picture)

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
1850709.jpg

The x-men movies can't do anything without this guy. Like fuck they're called x-men stop focusing everything on wolverine

361bcaf07681876a6e374822c72d3608.jpg

Shippuden is just about this asshole

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
Meliodas from Seven Deadly Sins.

All the girls love him. Why? Because he's Meliodas. Hell, one his teammates kickstarts some serious shit because he didn't return her love when they first met. 3000 years or whatever ago. Yet we still don't know what any of them see in him. I barely understand why his main squeeze fell in love with him.

In a series full of mind readers, no one can read his. Why? Because he's Meliodas. He's too cool for fucking school bro. Fairies, whose entire race can read hearts? No dice. The Giant whose special clairvoyant ability is referenced in regards to their whole power level system and can see what's in anyone's mind? Nah, can't do it.

He's always retconned into being the strongest character despite prior evidence going against what came after. And he's never gone all out apparently. Why? Because he's Meliodas of course. The series literally reveals he has a magic so powerful, if he uses it, he'll be banned from the current dimension. We never see it. It's never named or brought up again. But he always has it in his back pocket from now on.

And he can never be wrong. Why? Because he's Meliodas goddammit. You're the bad guy if you question why he's not sharing extremely pertinent information about this new group of antagonists he refuses to talk about. You're beyond redemption if you side with said group of bad guys, despite the fact that he was their former leader, the worst of the worst, and did a complete face turn himself. You're a piece of shit if you lie to him and the rest of your friends who trusted you, despite the fact that he lied to their faces multiple times in the series and never once apologized for it. Yet, somehow, he manages to get Apologies out of everyone else for their justified emotional responses to shit he's pulled.

Oct 26, 2017
What are the worst examples when a writer wanks off a character in order to show how awesome they are but its done in such an obnoxious way that you can't help but roll your eyes at it. For me, It's Bakugo in the upcoming arc of the anime and the JT arc from the manga:

latest

So in this arc, Class1A and 1B are doing training rounds against each other. In Bakugo's round, he beats a recommended student and pretty much manhandles everyone with no one on his team losing and this is all done in 2 chapters while everyone is praising him for doing what others have done from the start.....cooperation. I mean Todoroki, like one of the class's strongest struggled and got knocked out along with Tokoyami in the round before that. It's even more jarring when after that, All Might says Bakugo is a good childhood friend/good friend, despite him doing nothing but bully Midoriya for most of that and having done nothing to show any kind of good friend behavior. Yeah this was pretty bad
MHA started a notch above most recent shonen, but has quickly fallen into mediocore status for me. The sidelining of most of the class has gotten really bad, and all while wanking off one of the worst characters in the show.

Belladonna

Oct 30, 2017

Among other things.

I thought oh easy Kirito. Nah it's this guy. The most bland boring uninteresting character in every possible way. So overpowered that it's just like what's the point but not comic one punch man way. Just boring over tooled for every encounter in a most serious way but he's so boring that I can't even call him badass, more like blandass.

Oh among all other things his sister has hots for him. Urgh. Maybe everyone has hots for him, the girls, the guys, the young, the old, the allies and the enemies.

I think I'll take Kirito over him even after the absolute wankery that was Alicization part 2 or whatever it was called.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Sword of Truth was my first dive into "adult" fantasy (if I don't count LotR).

It became quickly apparently (I say quickly but it took me until about Book 4 or 5) that the main character Richard was the epitome of wank. Always on the right side of things. Always able to achieve victory despite the adversity, and always one to lecture others. I'm surprised I made it as far into the series as I did.

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina
Read The Name of the Wind sometime.
I know Kvothe is supposed to be an unreliable narrator hyping himself up, but yeah. That wasn't my only problem with the book, but it was a big factor in avoiding the second book.

These are exactly what I came to post. I get the unreliable narrator thing but when it's like "OH AND I HAD SEX WITH A SEX FAIRY FOR WHO KNOWS HOW LONG AND SHE SAID I WAS THE BEST EVER EVEN THOUGH SHES A SEX FAIRY", I can only stomach so much

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Dr. Doom is unironically one of my favorite comic book characters of all time, but even I'll admit that the Doom wankery has reached obnoxious levels. It honestly makes me nervous to see how he'll be treated in Gaurdians.
This little shit here

2wSf6cR.jpg
Granted, I wasn't following the series too closely during this time, but I thought the whole point during this run was precisely that Quentin was an obnoxious, self-important dipshit?

Roliq

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Sep 23, 2018
MHA started a notch above most recent shonen, but has quickly fallen into mediocore status for me. The sidelining of most of the class has gotten really bad, and all while wanking off one of the worst characters in the show.
Honestly it was mistake making the class be composed of 20 people, like 6 of them are nothing more than background characters, also it was funny how Iida and Ochako went from main characters to side-characters

Last edited:

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
361bcaf07681876a6e374822c72d3608.jpg

Shippuden is just about this asshole

Wanking Sasuke is really just a wanking of Naruto . Any elevation of Sasuke is there to elevate Naruto more.

It's like Kishimoto says, Sasuke isn't a singular character. Sasuke is part of Naruto's character.

Masashi Kishimoto has spoken about his feeling towards Sasuke in the past, and the artist admits he cannot think of the Uchiha as a singular being. Instead, Sasuke is always viewed in light of Naruto. " Sasuke is always in the corner of my mind."

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Read The Name of the Wind sometime.

I legit thought this thread would be about Kvothe.

Also, Tommy Wiseau's character in The Room.

"You're my favorite customer!"

I almost forgive this one just because the film itself is such a huge piece of masturbation.

Rick and morty the thread

But they have their down moments, which the hardcore fans will say justify the Gary Stuism of this show.

"yeah, but Rick lost Birdman once and..."

Mugenhunt

Oct 17, 2019
This little shit here

2wSf6cR.jpg

Quentin was bad, but the little kid Hellfire Club was worse, and the plot armor that allowed for a team of literal children to defeat the X-Men repeatedly just wasn't good, even in a more light-hearted X-book like this one. It felt like Jason Aaron really believed that little kid Hellfire Club was the greatest thing ever.

teague

Dec 17, 2018
These are exactly what I came to post. I get the unreliable narrator thing but when it's like "OH AND I HAD SEX WITH A SEX FAIRY FOR WHO KNOWS HOW LONG AND SHE SAID I WAS THE BEST EVER EVEN THOUGH SHES A SEX FAIRY", I can only stomach so much

my immediate thought as well, jfc I hated that part of that book

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina
my immediate thought as well, jfc I hated that part of that book

It's so unnecessary and gives me some real weird vibes about Rothfuss.

I just finished reading Blood Song and it's very similar to The Name of the Wind, but the character is less "Uber sexy god student" and more "dude who works his ass off and still eats shit". Very similar narrative beats.

Nov 16, 2017
I never got to that point, but my wife told me about that. My similar experience is in Name of the Wind is when he finally gets to the university after living like a feral child for three years. He isn't just a smart kid, but so smart he immediately schools students and teachers in an extremely pompous fashion.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Laura Roslyn in BSG.

Kept trying to get me to empathise with this obnoxious dumbass with cancer who would milk the cancer for all it was worth to paint her as a martyr. Somebody would like, offer her a glass of water and she would croak her way out of bed coughing, being like 'No... *splurt* *cough* *cough*... it's okay... *hack* *splurt*... I'll... do it.', while the other perfectly healthy person is standing right there.

This was her character for at least a couple seasons. Incredibly obnoxious. And fans bought into her self-perpetuated martyrdom - characterising her as being brave for being a sanctimonious, reckless dumbass, preying on people's empathy. Meanwhile I would be watching her like...

3cec7af5-db7e-4ff5-9794ktz.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Shepard in Mass Effect 2 and 3. The first one already has Liara fawning all over you but it gets so much worse in the sequels. Miranda, a woman literally designed to be genetically perfect, feels hopelessly insecure when comparing herself with the great Shepard. Tali tells you that of course she fell head over heels with the hero captain who saved her life. Even the Cthulhu-ass space monsters capable of destroying galaxy-spanning civilizations become singularly obsessed with Shepard. So much so that it's why they decide to attack earth first! And then all this wankery of Shepard (and in extension the player) culminates in an epilogue where it is revealed that Shepard became a Jesus-like legend whose story is passed on from generation to generation.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Prometheus in Justice League Cry for Justice (a horrible book anyways)

8gpazWl.jpg

Dude takes down some of the most powerful members of the Justice League in seconds.

Not even Deathstroke in equally awful Identity Crisis was that out of character powerful.
Came in to mention both along with Kirito from SAO which is a gimme. Deathstroke overpowering Hal's ring with his own willpower while it's still on Hal's hand in IC is so freaking lazy. Also speaking to Batgod shit and more Hal Jordan jobbing, in All Star Batman having Batman and Robin not just paint themselves yellow to "neutralize" Hal's effectiveness and steal the ring off his damn hand without him noticing is also so much nonsense.

crimsonECHIDNA

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Red Hulk

images

Yes, that is him using the Silver Surfer's board and Terrax's weapon.

Other highlights include using the lack of gravity to lift Mjolner and punching out the freaking Watcher.

His Supergirl run for DC has the same fucking problem. For whatever reason his first arc of the book had Kara breaking out into fights and beating literally every other superhero team just to establish how powerful she was.

5171012-0883555371-BML2Q.gif

Fucking Ramsay could do wrong for the longest in GoT

And then when he finally died we were graced with:

giphy.gif

Roliq

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Sep 23, 2018
a9e1d486aa68796109d2d4d8a7daae1f308b90b5_hq.jpg

Nero from the Fate Series, in both Fate/Extella and FGO Nero is wanked to be the best emperor in all of Rome to the point that in the Septem chapter where she is your main companion Spartacus (who literally is against all forms of authority no matter how small or irrational it is) and Boudica (you know the one who was raped and had her daughters slaughtered during Nero reign) are cool with her, in fact literally every single character mentions how special and perfect she is

6uutbi5c0o711.jpg

In Fate/Extella even through the game is billed as having 3 routes with a different heroine Nero is the one who not only has the most loyal followers but also is the focus of the True Ending having a new special form to defeat an alien creature that no one can defeat

Also in my personal opinion doesn't help that her design sucks, is literally a smaller, bustier and less dressed Artoria/Saber
latest

Last edited: