• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Most recently, Witcher 3 on PS4. The horse riding is rubbish compared to MGSV or RDR2. Also, the combat would have been so much better if the controls were weighted like Bloodborne or God of War, quick attack R1 and charged attack R2.

Button-mashing square gets old fast, unless you're playing Mortal Kombat or a legit fighting game. Games like Detroit : Become Human are significantly more sophisticated because of their complete use of the controller, such as holding R2 while rotating the L joystick to open a door.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imma stick to games that are generally considered good and suggest Dragon Quest Buidlers 2 (and I assume 1 as it's supposed to be worse, but it's not on PC).

Be prepared to just press Y/Triangle over and over and over and over and over, and occassionally move a bit away from something.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Most recently, Witcher 3 on PS4. The horse riding is rubbish compared to MGSV or RDR2. Also, the combat would have been so much better if the controls were weighted like Bloodborne or God of War, quick attack R1 and charged attack R2.

Button-mashing square gets old fast, unless you're playing Mortal Kombat or a legit fighting game. Games like Detroit : Become Human are significantly more sophisticated because of their complete use of the controller, such as holding R2 while rotating the L joystick to open a door.

Had me there in the first half, not gonna lie.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Probably FFXV. It prioritizes flashy animations over just getting the job done. Dumb ass and unnecessary changes like making you not want to use magic because it hurts your party equally. Feels like a melee combat system designed by Rockstar.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Drake of the 99 Dragons deserves worst 3rd person shooter combat and a reservation for the darkest pit of hell.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
of major/popular games, I'm assuming, since the worst is obviously going to be some nothing shovelware

Witcher 3. Combat so bad it makes the game impossible to enjoy

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
OP you probably should have placed some limiters and parameters on what kind of worst are we talking about.

Like obviously the WORST-worst is some shitty half-cocked game on steam that nobody has heard of, let alone played.

And a specific genre would also helped, but I'm assuming from your statement on NG3 that you're thinking of third person real time action or action-rpg games.

DenverCo

Feb 21, 2019
Denver
I really hated Final Fantasy 12's combat at the time and maybe I'll like it now when I the remastered version but going from turn based to what 12 tried to do was jarring.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Some of the posts in here are kinda embarrassing. I'm continually amazed at how many people seem to think TW3 combat is the worst thing ever and unplayable.

Drwu

Aug 23, 2018
Although i have yet to play it my guess would be vampyr, because it sounds like the combat really detracted from what could have been a great adventure game.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Of all the games I've played: Animorphs for Game Boy Color.

The combat system is like Pokemon's, except your attacks miss all the time, to the point where battles are practically a matter of pure luck.

This disastrous run from AGDQ 2016 is a good showcase of it all. Watch the part at 18:30 in particular for an example of just how bad things can get:

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Oh I almost forgot Omikron: The Nomad Soul. Specifically the fighting game. Holy hell that's bad.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
Digimon World 2. Barebones turnbased in the blandest battleground. A single attack takes up to 15 seconds. Multiply that by 8 or 9 for regular battles.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
For the games to be so popular, TES has the worst combat I've seen. Just floatly weightless combat that feels terrible.

yurr

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 20, 2019
My first hack and slash. Sword of the berserk in Dreamcast. Dark souls/DMC style frustration

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You really made another thread to shit on Ninja Gaiden 3 again in the span of a few days? Your hate for the game is embarassing, dude.

On topic, Chain of Memories card system is pretty bad.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Paper Mario Color Splash.

You can not design a more tedious and backwards combat system than the one that is in this game.

NavyPharaoh

Oct 27, 2017
Dragon Age Inquisition and Skyrim come to mind. Many "action" RPGS struggle with the action part of the equation.

Mana Latte

Banned
Jul 6, 2019
Probably not the worst but I feel like Witcher 2's wasn't great. Literally just beat the game and I feel like the combat got worst. Delayed presses, sluggish, wonky hit detection, and terrible lock on just made it a slog to where I put it on easy just to finish it. Witcher 3 is like Bayonetta in comparison

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Lmao this thread exactly what I expected. Listing great games and pretending like they have the worst combat. Fucking don't change Era.

dojo32161

Sep 4, 2019
Only terrible combat that I can remember was the stuff it Rule of Rose, that was genuinely awful.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Oh wait, I just remembered that Dreamfall: The Longest Journey had fights. They were very infrequent, but it was probably the worst fighting I've ever played. The only times they were sort of okay was when you were using the characters that had heavy attacks that hit at wide angles and were fast enough to stunlock enemies.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Witcher ... The only combat system that makes me refund the game within 15 mins.

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
Skyrim, Witcher 3, Read Dead Redemption 2, Dragon Age Inquisition, Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, Bloodborne, Horizon Zero Dawn, Persona 5, Dragon Quest XI. To name a few.

Don't ask why please.

Aquova

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
People love the game, but no matter how many times I try, I just can't get into the Secret of Mana's combat, I find it infuriating to use. It's a Zelda-like combat system bogged down with weird turn-based elements

While I'm sure it's not the worst, Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories always stands out in my memory for being painfully bad to play despite a cool plot
The original GBA version's combat makes sense, since they had to work with 2D graphics and two buttons to make an action-card based combat system. The PS2 remake is maybe the most literal 2D->3D remake ever, which makes the gameplay completely wacky compared to KH1. I love GBA CoM, but really don't care for Re:CoM.