• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
71-gOa7TG6L._AC_SL1400_.jpg

Jesus, more Capcom garbage.
I wouldn't say this one is objectively "bad", but it is for sure overpriced as fuck. If it was like $80-90 I would think it's a pretty great one honestly, but at $150 it's a joke.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Fallout 4's Pip-Boy edition was cheap trash. Damn thing started breaking and falling apart as soon as I took it out.

First and last collectors edition for me.

Ghost250

Mar 19, 2018
Red Dead Redemption 2.... There is no game in it! So basically you pay 100 EUR/Dollar for some cheap uninteresting stuff worth $ 10 Only the box is kinda cool imo.

maxresdefault.jpg

I bought this, it sat on the shelf and ended up selling it on ebay making a profit. Really shouldn't have bought in the first place. I also bought the ultimate edition of red dead 2 as well, sold that and made my money back too, just gonna get the regular game. I don't buy CE's like that, if anything i hardly if ever buy them, this year taught me just not buy them period. I'm kinda over this type of shit, it doesn't add anything to overall experience, tbh its more about trying to pry more dollars off fandom alone rather than providing something worth buying.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
I nominate all of Nintendo Europe's collector's editions for having pointless cardboard hang-tabs that get easily damaged (as if you'll ever find one of these in an actual shop if you missed the 15 minute window to order them online) unlike the Nintendo America ones which are neat, easy to store rectangular boxes.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like we should mention RAGE 2 CE here. Talking head looks hideous and i'm not a fan of the Steelbook either.
lq9rc2rciha11.jpg

curtismyhero

Aug 29, 2018
I wouldn't say this one is objectively "bad", but it is for sure overpriced as fuck. If it was like $80-90 I would think it's a pretty great one honestly, but at $150 it's a joke.

I purchased this namely to show my support for another DMC entry (also double dipped on PC). I will admit first hand that the van is really "meh" and extremely overpriced, but I have to vouch for the artbook and the director's note within it. Had they just spent all the money on the artbook and tossed the last minute "van" I would have been just as happy.

TenaciousD

Banned
Mar 6, 2018
User Banned (1 Week): Inappropriate Sexist Commentary and a History of Similar Behavior
I think Dead Island Riptide has to take the cake right? I mean jesus, this stuff is not only incredibly creepy but also super ugly. Imagine coming over to someone's house only to see a bloody bust sitting on a table. Also it was like 120 dollars too.

xv6jJpv9cRXA7jHxn6cvR6-650-80.jpg

I've put my dick in worse.

Ghost250

Mar 19, 2018

I fucking called it, i knew this shit was going to be ripoff. 300 dollars for a cheap ass plastic scorpion bust, plus an ugly steelbook with no name on the spine. what a damn joke!!!!

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017

I fucking called it, i knew this shit was going to be ripoff. 300 dollars for a cheap ass plastic scorpion bust, plus an ugly steelbook with no name on the spine. what a damn joke!!!!

Thank you so much to WB Games for sending me this amazing Playstation 4 Mortal Kombat 11 Kollector's Edition which is a Gamestop exclusive! It comes komplete with a sick 1:1 scale Scorpion mask

Oh man, so hyped for a cheap plastic bust for $/€300.

Slim

Banned
Sep 24, 2018
DS3 Estus flask edition is straight up hilarious. I feel really bad for the ones who paid money for that pos estus flask.

hipsterbodega

Oct 30, 2017
I used to buy so many CEs. I just liked the kitsch I guess. I'm absolutely on the "this is expensive space consuming junk" train now, but not in, like, 2011. I've since sold or tossed dozens of them.

I miss the days they'd pack in a little art book and a soundtrack CD for like 10 bucks more. Special editions got incredibly outrageous and ostentatious over time but simplicity is best and generally worth the cost.

Ghost250

Mar 19, 2018
Oh man, so hyped for a cheap plastic bust for $/€300.

I used to be exactly like that till i realized the copious amounts of money i was paying for cheaply made trinkets that are deemed to appeal to you as a fan. In reality these companies take advantage of fandom, knowing their gonna make a sizable profit off of you for such shit items, but alas your a fan so you'll accept it. For me though screw that shit. this is why the CE market has continued to shrink, people ar over th BS. If these companies could massively produced CE's like they used to they would, but now you have many of these CE's being only sold through an exclusive vendors.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised no one has mentioned MvCi

DJyyPfkUMAATR90.jpg
I remember this disaster...

19-marvel-vs-capcom-infinite-special-collectors-edition-infinity-st.jpg

08-1.jpg

My local Best Buy was clearing out the remaining collector editions for $40 two months ago so I decided to grab the last one they had in stock. Those real-product pictures don't do justice to how shitty the box actually is. The plastic box and interior lining has the cheapest possible feel and weight to it. The box lights up, but Capcom couldn't even afford to install an on/off switch into the hinge, you have to manually turn the lights off with a switch underneath the box.

That said, the included statues are decent quality so I don't regret paying $45 w/tax, but I would've been pissed if I bought this at the $200 retail price.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY

My Geralt statue from Witcher 2 CE looked much more in line with the original pic than whatever that disaster in the below pic was, the problem was that it was heavy and the game's box was thin, so during shipping, the statue tore through the box and got chipped in the process.

I've been using the Geralt statue as a deadweight to place my mail under for years, grown quite attached to that little guy haha

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
This one deserves to be mentioned here if it hasn't already. Worst CE I ever bought. Cheap all around including the small platic plasma cutter half the size it was supposed to be:

amNbf9F.jpg

Peradam

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Jan 11, 2018
JP CE's are almost always better than the EU or US counterparts
I was just comparing Code Vein's CE and noticed the big difference was in physical vs. digital content. I'm in the UK so I've got the European version pre-ordered but felt disappointed when I looked up the Japanese versions (plural; they get two). One's roughly the same price, the other is ~£40 more expensive.
40884876143_d20261cb12_o.jpg
32907468777_207af7c565_o.gif

NA doesn't even get a CE...
The last game I pre-ordered was Sekiro and it also came with a digital art book (the CE had its own issues). Despite it being a store exclusive over here and sold at a higher price, there was no way to download it. The link used to say "download art book" but would redirect you to a web page to view lower-res images. And for a brief while, anyone with the link could gain access to that web page without redeeming a code. Individual images can be viewed if you have the URL, so I don't think they care at this point.

I'm holding on to my Code Vein pre-order in case there are changes between now and release as there's no set date yet. But I think as time goes on, the more I see digital content replacing physical items in CEs, the less I'll be inclined to order them.

Ghost250

Mar 19, 2018
I was just comparing Code Vein's CE and noticed the big difference was in physical vs. digital content. I'm in the UK so I've got the European version pre-ordered but felt disappointed when I looked up the Japanese versions (plural; they get two). One's roughly the same price, the other is ~£40 more expensive.
40884876143_d20261cb12_o.jpg
32907468777_207af7c565_o.gif

NA doesn't even get a CE...
The last game I pre-ordered was Sekiro and it also came with a digital art book (the CE had its own issues). Despite it being a store exclusive over here and sold at a higher price, there was no way to download it. The link used to say "download art book" but would redirect you to a web page to view lower-res images. And for a brief while, anyone with the link could gain access to that web page without redeeming a code. Individual images can be viewed if you have the URL, so I don't think they care at this point.

I'm holding on to my Code Vein pre-order in case there are changes between now and release as there's no set date yet. But I think as time goes on, the more I see digital content replacing physical items in CEs, the less I'll be inclined to order them.

I feel you exact sentiments, when I used to buy CE's, I can't lie I pretty tiffed about just how much better Japanese CE's were compared to the U.S., i don't remember what year it started, but sometime during the PS3/360 generation CE contents generally started veering off into offering digital content for certain items, unlike the Japanese ones which always offered physical content.

ElMexiMerican

Oct 25, 2017
This one deserves to be mentioned here if it hasn't already. Worst CE I ever bought. Cheap all around including the small platic plasma cutter half the size it was supposed to be:

amNbf9F.jpg
Oh man I was so disappointed by this one. This was like my big birthday gift and I was hype af to have a plasma cutter and then I get the box and just look at its size and was like "aw no..."