• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I'm playing through BOTW for the first time now. I hate all the shrines and I probably won't be able to beat the game because of that -- well, I don't like other aspects of the game anyway, so that's ok.

I did the golf shrine a week ago and it quickly hit me how annoying the weapon durability thing could be in it. Surprisingly, though, I managed to beat the shrine on my first try. My favorite shrines are the combat ones because... well, they end quickly.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I'm playing through BOTW for the first time now. I hate all the shrines and I probably won't be able to beat the game because of that -- well, I don't like other aspects of the game anyway, so that's ok.

I did the golf shrine a week ago and it quickly hit me how annoying the weapon durability thing could be in it. Surprisingly, though, I managed to beat the shrine on my first try. My favorite shrines are the combat ones because... well, they end quickly.
This the problem with popular and hyped games. It attracts people where it doesn't really fall into their taste. Well unless you do like other zelda games

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
Any shrine with gyro puzzles as a big focus, because the controls are super finicky.

I liked most of the other shrines otherwise, they were generally pretty creative.

ZSaberLink

Oct 26, 2017
Most of the shrines are pretty bad. I agree that the motion controls were really bad in this game, but worse than Nintendo's Wii motion controls.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There's one with the pinball mechanic of hitting the time frozen ball with a hammer to get it in a hole where the bonus one is a complete pain in the ass. Biggest problem being you have limited hammer hits.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
This the problem with popular and hyped games. It attracts people where it doesn't really fall into their taste. Well unless you do like other zelda games

Beat all of the console Zeldas + Oracle of Ages and Link's Awakening. I'm a huge Zelda 1 fan, beat it back in the day and beat it again at least once a year. Love open world games. I'm a huuuge Monolith fan. I should love BOTW, but... I don't. I have many issues with the game, but my opinions are basically the same as Jim Sterling's.

That said, I'm interested in the sequel as I really love the concept of BOTW and think they might fix/change many of the things that annoy me.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
*sees thread title*

"It's the fucking golf one"

*clicks thread*

It's the fucking golf one

giphy.gif

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Motion control ones get my vote. The golf one at least is a little rewarding once you get it vs. the motion control ones, which feel like pure luck plus a sprained back and neck thrown in for good measure.

halfjoey

Nov 26, 2017
I struggled with the one where you had to fling the ball. Is that what you guys mean by golfing?

If we're thinking about the same one then I agree. I hated that and never completed the shrine. I was bad at stasis aiming and could never do it. The axe they give you breaks after five tries and it never comes back. I didn't want to waste weapons coming back to the shrine.

lmog

Jun 17, 2019
Brazil
The one in Korok Forest where you have to follow the Korok into the shrine without being seen.

Yeah, it's not technically inside the shrine, but was easily the worst part of the game.

Deleted member 10549

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Heh, I like gyro shrines the most. Maybe because I mainly play Zelda docked. Shame that there aren't more gyro shrines.

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Don't think I ever touched the golf shrine, so my vote goes to the motion control maze shrine. Found it to be more frustrating than fun and ended up flipping my controller around to use the smooth surface to cheese my way through.

If shrines are a thing in BotW 2 I hope the dev team pulls a Super Mario Galaxy 2 and goes ham with crazy cool shrine designs.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
The one that you had to use motion controls to tilt a ball through a maze. That shit was infuriating and honestly barely functional. I literally had to spin my pro controller in my hands a dozen or more times to get shit to work properly. I can't even imagine doing that shit with the Switch undocked.

The combat ones are pretty bad too. Since the games combat is ass and it's just the same enemy over and over again but with slightly varying degrees of health dependent on it's "difficulty"

I think I know this one, you have to flick it onto a ramp at the end? I found out that you can simply turn your controller over to create a flat surface and bypass the maze entirely. Very clever.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Agree but then they shouldn't be shrines at all, kinda fell weird.
No argument from me!

In fact, I think that tying rewards for a lot of things to shrines made content feel a bit more samey than it actually is.

Like that dark area or mazes are unique and exciting things to stumble upon (although personally I'm not THAT crazy about the latter, the former is super dope) but at the end of them is a shrine and although a shrine is just a reward delivery mechanism, it makes those areas feel more formulaic than they would be otherwise.

Even an orb just chilling there would be better to me.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
The problem with the combat shrines is that they were all the same minus some completely negligible variations in the arena

Fighting that robot is fun and even exciting the first time, but on the second and third time? Naaaah. Now if there were different mini-bosses with different encounters shit would be fire.

Something to think about for BotW 2.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
That motion control ball and maze one was really fucking stupid when you realised you could just turn your controller upside down and the maze was flat on the back making it super easy.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I love the combat shrines.

Twin Peaks sucked cuz I had no idea what pattern it wanted, in what direction or orientation it was looking for, or if the shrine even reset when you left or not.

Like, the shrine is fucking mirrored, yet the pattern isn't. Doesn't make any sense at all.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
The golf one was probably my second favorite non- main world map based shrine not gonna lie (probably behind the island trial). My least favorite was whatever combat shrine I did last. They were okay, but once you figure out the attack pattern it was super boring and same-y. Would love if they had made them actual minibosses.

I was actually hoping they'd open up a golfing minigame on the main map at some point with holes all around the map. I found a few Koroks like that, but they were all super easy. I do wish they would disable degradation on hammers in that shrine though.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Absolutely hated the motion control ones. Hope they avoid any of that crap in the future, for all Nintendo games. I really enjoy stuff like gyro aiming assistance but lame tilt your controller puzzles aren't clever or fun and simply make me hate motion controls.

Stuff like that reminds me of forced Wii waggle or Wii U gamepad, not intuitive or fun but just inserted so it gets used somewhere.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
These are basically glorified reward deliveries for an overworld challenge or a puzzle.

I don't even count them as proper shrines, because they're not. Whatever you did in the overworld is the "shrine".

Yep. Honestly the overworld puzzle shrines where some of my favorites! Hope the sequel has a lot more of those!

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
The easy level combat shrines that you find at the endgame, when you're overpowered.
I had an unlucky streak towards the end where it turned out that most of the remaining shrines were of the combat variety.

My early run in with a tough combat shrine was indeed a memorable moment. I remember frantically winning the battle with the skin of my teeth, breaking the entire damn inventory on that robot's hide and barely squeaking by.

But after one or two encounters, they become really predictable and easy to deal with. Even you aren't over-equipped for the task.
Yep. Honestly the overworld puzzle shrines where some of my favorites! Hope the sequel has a lot more of those!
I agree.

I also believe that they shouldn't have Shrines in those things. Some other way of giving you the orb, preferably a distinct one for every challenge, would be ideal and avoid making that content feel more formulaic.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Anything requiring motion control.

Especially that one with the ball and maze where you had to flick the ball at the right moment.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
I'm surprised there's so much disdain towards the golf shrine. I thought it was quite a nice idea.

I also liked the motion control ones, but I understand the criticisms from an accessibility point of view (and especially if you're playing on handheld)

My least favourite were the gimmes - I know they were due to the puzzle being in the overworld but the anticipation of finding a new shrine, going inside and there not really being much there was rather disappointing

Last edited:

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
That freaking minigolf shrine. Seriously, Nintendo, could you not have made it a Stasis puzzle like in the actual golf minigame?

The one black mark on an otherwise astounding game.

Last edited: