• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If we miraculously get a vaccine right before the election, you're damn right I'm waiting a few weeks.

I'm all for getting vaccinated, but the US is compromised.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
#ThanksObama

Seriously though, I'd need to have a body of non-government experts come out and say the vaccine is safe before I even consider giving it to my family.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
I have complete faith in fully researched and well tested vaccines that have gone through all the necessary trials and processes to prove they are safe and effective. The same goes for medicines in general, big fan.

I have zero trust in the snake oil being pushed by politicians the world over for political gain.

I wish the very best of luck to anyone taking a Covid vaccine that just so happens to drop the week before the US elections, but it couldn't be me.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
When Putin is peddling one and Trump is saying another will be available before the election do you blame them?

I'm as pro-vaccine as they come but I want the process followed to the letter first.
Seriously. I'll take whatever the EU claims works and is available. Not trusting Trump or the first one out of Russia

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
#ThanksObama

Seriously though, I'd need to have a body of non-government experts come out and say the vaccine is safe before I even consider giving it to my family.

Which you will almost certainly have. There isn't going to be a vaccine released in the US that isn't analyzed by top vaccine scientists.

I get wanting to make sure the scientists say its okay, obviously, but there's no reason to be outright distrustful of a vaccine. When it releases, just listen to what the scientists have to say, either way. Saying I will or won't take it at this point is silly. As long as the scientists say its good to go, I will. If by some chance they don't, I won't.

And just so you all saying it know, a lot of regular anti-vaxxers are pretty fond of saying they're not anti vaccine too... they just don't trust the government/etc.... just saying...

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I'll trust getting the vaccine here in canada when it's available. I would not trust the one in the states for a while. It's all an issue of trust and the current US government has given plenty of reasons why not to trust them.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
the easiest prediction this year was some snake oil injection being marketed as the october surprise for the election

anyone with a brain in their head and a sliver of common sense knows 2021 is the earliest something effective will be ready.

T0M

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 13, 2019
I mean if Fauci gave his blessing on it, sure.

But I don't trust a rushed Trump vaccine designed to come out and get the numbers up before Election Day.

Repeat after me: "Politics has no influence over science."

If you say it loud enough it might come true.

Shall I tell the story of how gun violence research has been held up for decades gun company lobbying in DC?

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
And just so you all saying it know, a lot of regular anti-vaxxers are pretty fond of saying they're not anti vaccine too... they just don't trust the government/etc.... just saying...

Just saying... this administration is untrustworthy as shit. Being wary of a vaccine that comes out in the US, say, the week or month before the election when for most of the year we've been told to expect something by 2021 at the earliest is not the same as being anti-vax. That's just exercising common sense.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Only way I take it early is on live tv the entire trump admin takes it first Right off the assembly line.
I just don't trust these fuckers. I'll wait until the rest of the world says it's okay.

Banderdash

Chicken Chaser
Nov 16, 2017
Australia
I'm not concerned about the immediate effects of the vaccine... but, what if there's a reaction that has a delayed onset? or if it's passed on to another generation?

That's the shit that concerns me.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I compiled an OT on the Oxford Vaccine just for anyone who is unsure or wants to know more about it, the Oxford University website has much information dotted around multiple articles, so I thought I'd create a resource page with the information all there. I am currently looking for the participation website for the trials that have started in the US, since they're wanting to recruit 30, 000 volunteers.

www.resetera.com

The Oxford (Covid 19) Vaccine Trials OT: The More You Know! COVID - OT

This thread is designed to get people up to date with The Oxford COVID-19 Vaccine - which is one of the more promising trials in the world. I have noticed a lot of mistrust and thought I'd set up an OT so those that want to learn more can do so. Information is directly taken from various...

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
You seriously want to inject yourself with whatever trump of pushing out the door door politics? It's could be a vial of nothing for all you know.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You seriously want to inject yourself with whatever trump of pushing out the door door politics? It's could be a vial of nothing for all you know.
Yeah probably because it's likely the shot it going to be the same frontrunners that have been getting tested during this pandemic and have alot of promise. He isn't going to go with a random shot he's definitely going to try to gas up the front runners we have whether they have the complete efficacy data or not.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
I mean if Fauci gave his blessing on it, sure.

But I don't trust a rushed Trump vaccine designed to come out and get the numbers up before Election Day.

Shall I tell the story of how gun violence research has been held up for decades gun company lobbying in DC?

I love the naivety of people actually believing that politics has no influence over science. I say this working for a state health department in one of the worst hit places in the United States. Politics has infected every single aspect of our response to COVID-19.

Deleted member 69501

Banned
May 16, 2020
Well this is what happens when you make the cure political while giving airspace to those who question the severity of the virus itself

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I'm 100% all for vaccines but yeah, there's no way I'm getting one rushed out by the orange shitstain occupying the White House at the moment.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Our Department Of Health And Human Services AND Food And Drug Administration lied about a COVID-19 treatment just two weeks ago.
And we know that because it's impossible to hide such things.

We'll know if a vaccine is released way too early because people who know more than any of us here will tell us that it was released way too early.

jay

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the US is kind of doomed. Even liberals are spreading fake news (or gross misinterpretations) about how much control Trump actually has when it comes to the vaccine development. Or saying the vaccine will be "rushed" as if that meant anything at all (all vaccines are going through the usual clinical trials and not a single one will be approved for mass consumptions before proving it does not produce serious side effects).

It's utterly nonsensical. Most of the world will be already over the pandemia while the US continues to debate between their two different brands of paranoia.

Can you explain the swine flu narcolepsy thing as condescendingly as possible?

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Which you will almost certainly have. There isn't going to be a vaccine released in the US that isn't analyzed by top vaccine scientists.

I get wanting to make sure the scientists say its okay, obviously, but there's no reason to be outright distrustful of a vaccine. When it releases, just listen to what the scientists have to say, either way. Saying I will or won't take it at this point is silly. As long as the scientists say its good to go, I will. If by some chance they don't, I won't.

News like this reduces my anxiety:
gizmodo.com

Pharma Companies Will Commit to Safety in Covid-19 Vaccine

Pharmaceutical companies are aiming to assuage the public’s anxiety, ever inflamed by a selfish U.S. president, over the safety of coronavirus vaccines. To calm fears, big-name drug makers like Pfizer, Johnson & Johnson and Moderna will sign a joint statement to demonstrate their commitment to...

And I'm by no means an anti-vaxxer -- I just got the flu shot last week. But with the way Trump has forced the FDA to push terrible COVID treatments like hydroxychloroquine, and now putting his 2020 campaign on the vaccine being available by Nov 1, my faith is just shaky.

www.cnbc.com

FDA revokes emergency use of hydroxychloroquine

Hydroxychloroquine is unlikely "to be effective in treating COVID-19 for the authorized uses in the EUA," the FDA says.

My family is fairly well isolated and have no plans on expanding our social activities even when a vaccine is available so we're comfortable waiting for now.

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
I trust in vaccines, but I do want some assurances regarding testing procedures.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
For me it depends on who developed it and who's pushing it. I'm sure as hell not going to rush to get a Trump miracle vaccine (just in time for the election!) pumped into my bloodstream.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
i wouldn't get one that is being clearly rushed. if notable experts vouch for it, then i'd be game.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
Just saying... this administration is untrustworthy as shit. Being wary of a vaccine that comes out in the US, say, the week or month before the election when for most of the year we've been told to expect something by 2021 at the earliest is not the same as being anti-vax. That's just exercising common sense.

Of course the Trump administration is untrustworthy. But they aren't making a vaccine. Highly respected scientists are doing so. Who we will hear from whenever a vaccine comes out.

Also, the part about 2021 at the earliest simply isn't true. We've been hearing late 2020 was possible, though would require extremely positive results, for months. Here's Fauci saying a month and a half ago that October was a possibility. https://www.eatthis.com/fauci-covid-vaccine-october/

May 26, 2018
It's more to do with who would be pushing them than anything. Trump, Putin, Johnson... Kicking some vaccine out the door super early... I'd have to let the public be guinea pigs for a month or something.

Now if NZ or Canada promoted one I would be like "put me in, coach, I'm ready!"

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Btw, if the November vaccine ends up being the Moderna one, then I would probably get it. But I'm roommates with a person who works there and have been getting regular updates from him on the efficacy of the vaccine. Afaik only one person had an adverse reaction to the most recent trial and he literally didn't think his reaction was bad enough to warrant showing up on the report (they included it anyway because science).

Deleted member 60295

Banned
Sep 28, 2019
Completely justified. I'm part of that 79 percent. Cause we all know that there is no vaccine currently. So if some already untrustworthy dickwad in charge of some national government comes out and announces this week that "hey, we got a vaccine! Now vote for me in 2020"... yeah, I'd sooner take my chances with COVID-19 than with whatever snake-oil he's guaranteed to be peddling.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
Of course the Trump administration is untrustworthy. But they aren't making a vaccine. Highly respected scientists are doing so. Who we will hear from whenever a vaccine comes out.

Also, the part about 2021 at the earliest simply isn't true. We've been hearing late 2020 was possible, though would require extremely positive results, for months. Here's Fauci saying a month and a half ago that October was a possibility. https://www.eatthis.com/fauci-covid-vaccine-october/
2020 vaccine isn't going to be available to a large amount of people. Anything out this year will be focused on health care workers and at risk populations.

Also, sure, I trust Oxford and Pfizer, who are 2 of the 3 closest and are both working with EU countries... but you tell me Moderna is going to be ethical? The guys who have been fighting with testing standards, who are being investigated for manipulating stock prices and insider trading around releasing news?

I'll get anything that comes out and the general community accepts. Even with the political bullshit the FDA / DHS did recently, the scientific community was quick to call bullshit on it. So i'm not really worried about something released and accepted by all...

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
Not surprised. The media has completely failed to convey from scientists why these vaccines can be made so quickly. The pandemic is far from over.

Oct 27, 2017
Who knows what kind of Umbrella shit would come from Trump and Putin's vaccines. I don't trust them.

Better to wait until we see results than rush and be in danger.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
I am not anti-vaxx in any way, shape, or form. My kids are fully vaccinated, I'm fully vaccinated. I believe in science. I believe experts.

...but man I might not want to be among the first wave to get a COVID-19 vaccine, either. I don't have a lot of faith that any first-wave vaccine wasn't rushed along for political purposes. It happened in Russia.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I would absolutely get a shot right away even with my distrust in the system. I would also continue social distancing habits until we see a clear reduction in the pandemic. Even if the vaccine is effective, no vaccine is 100% guaranteed to confer immunity, so this is a good idea no matter how much time it has to develop.

As far as I've heard, the biggest worry about the upcoming vaccine is the persistence of immunity (vaccines provide immunity for only a limited time; it's why you need to take booster shots for vaccines you have already taken).

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's almost like turning the vaccines into a political tool was a bad idea

Oct 27, 2017
It's not a failed trust in a vaccine - it's a failed trust in governing bodies that have defunded or replaced key figures in scientific institutions to serve the needs of corrupt goals, rather than acting on the well-being of their people.
Exactly. I'm pro vaccine but I don't trust this administration with anything

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I think the vaccine will be better than people expect. Theres too much money being poured into finding one for the results to be terrible.

x3sphere

Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense. I keep hearing that 'I won't get the vaccine until others take it and it's proven safe'. That's fine - but problem is, almost everyone seems to be thinking like that. We aren't going to achieve any sort of herd immunity for a long while even if the vaccine works and is safe, because there's going to be loads of hold outs.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Thats what happens when you rush and waive aways fda standards. I'm not blaming anyone to be skeptical and wait.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
People should absolutely be leery of a rushed vaccine with bypassed protocols. I will absolutely not be taking a vaccine prior to outside medical institutions signing off on the validity of trials and the benefits. The trump administration has made it abundantly clear they will bypass any and all safety regulations to promote treatment that doesn't work. Hydroxycloriqun and plasma treatments are just the tip of the iceberg.

If people want to test "approved" vaccines in October/November more power to them. I'm more than willing to wait a few more months to confirm the benefits and risks of how it worked on those people