• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For both SKUs combinded?

How much did it sell in japan so far?

Panthalassic

Oct 25, 2017
I've really been loving it so far, as my first DQ experience.

Incredible how interesting and time consuming 'Minecraft with story' has been haha.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome, glad to hear it did well, since I love these DQ-spinoffs (admittedly I have not yet actually played this one haha).

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
yes

if i'm not mistaken, the latest physical numbers for japan should be:

[NSW] Dragon Quest Builders 2 <ADV> (Square Enix) {2018.12.20} (¥7.800) - 252.690 (link)
[PS4] Dragon Quest Builders 2 <ADV> (Square Enix) {2018.12.20} - 209.190 (link)

so ~460K combined.

With around a 20% digital share (which is a fair estimate for Japan I feel), that puts numbers closer to 550k. Which means it did around the same in the West, which is very good cause I think the game was down a bit in Japan

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Curious how the breakdown is in the West. I feel it's been more heavily promoted on Switch over here, but I'm not sure that my experience is necessarily representative.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Curious how the breakdown is in the West. I feel it's been more heavily promoted on Switch over here, but I'm not sure that my experience is necessarily representative.
That's representative because Square published the game on PS4, Nintendo on Switch; Square didn't promote it at all, Nintendo gave their version a push.
Lol.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
based on what i've seen in the PAL charts, the switch version seems to have sold more but not by that much. of course that was to be expected since nintendo published and marketed that version.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
yes if i'm not mistaken, the latest physical numbers for japan should be: [NSW] Dragon Quest Builders 2 (Square Enix) {2018.12.20} (¥7.800) - 252.690 (link) [PS4] Dragon Quest Builders 2 (Square Enix) {2018.12.20} - 209.190 (link) so ~460K combined.

it's much higher if you account digital sales. 600k at least.

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
Did it really manage to outsell DQ XI in the West? While it's a damn fantastic game, I'm feeling kinda sad for DQ XI now :/

Yep

Dec 14, 2017
That's not true. In Europe at least there have been web ads for the PS4 version.
I think i saw way more ads for the PS4 version than for the Switch One (all Switch ads were on FE, MUA3 and Mario Maker 2)
It kind of negate the fact that "DQ11 was sent to die, it launch in the same time as Spiderman" When DQB got good sales while launching against 3 Nintendo exclusives in a short time

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
hell yeah. I love it so much, must have played 30 ish hours already and I believe I'm not even half done with it yet

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Awesome and well deserved. Such a feel-good kind of game, the applause from the villagers is both silly and a nice touch. Wish Switch performance was a little better, but I'm still loving the hell out of it. Need to get back to the third story island after Fire Emblem took over my life.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Can't wait to get back to it when I finish Three Houses. I only managed to finish the first island before I got hooked on Fire Emblem.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Don't sleep on this game, y'all. I got it on a whim and am loving it. As soon as I finish Fire Emblem, I'm jumping back in.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Well deserved. Been playing this on my commute for the past few days and it's excellent. I've been sleeping on Fire Emblem because of it.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I still need to get that, though good shipping milestone achieved.

But Three Houses consumes my evenings where i can play, and i don't think i'd see my Switch much anymore if i had Builders 2 as my younger ones loved Builders 1. Maybe when the Lite drops.

Portalbox

Oct 25, 2017
I swear more people need to get this game, it just makes you happy and relaxed. Started as a kind of Minecraft clone but the sequel has specially become its own little thing.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, this means 2 did as much in less time. Hopefully it goes on to sell more. Christmas is in four months.
1 had higher sales in japan, so it looks like while the sales for the sequel in japan have dropped a bit, the series is getting bigger in the rest of the world.

edit: sales of DQB1 in japan
[PSV] Dragon Quest Builders <ADV> (Square Enix) {2016.01.28} (¥5.980) - 292.125
[PS4] Dragon Quest Builders <ADV> (Square Enix) {2016.01.28} (¥7.800) - 208.497
[PS3] Dragon Quest Builders <ADV> (Square Enix) {2016.01.28} (¥6.800) - 108.947
[NSW] Dragon Quest Builders <ADV> (Square Enix) {2018.03.01} (¥4.800) - 74.772 (late port)

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds well deserved based on what I've heard. Looking forward to getting around to it at some point this year.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
That's representative because Square published the game on PS4, Nintendo on Switch; Square didn't promote it at all, Nintendo gave their version a push.
Lol.

The official DragonQuest account only promotes the PS4 version. It doesnt even mention there is a Switch version out :P

With that said, Nintendo promotes better than SE does so overall Nintendo has done a much better job of promoting DQB2 than Square Enix has so pretty sure it's sold better on NSW than on PS4

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The official DragonQuest account only promotes the PS4 version. It doesnt even mention there is a Switch version out :P

With that said, Nintendo promotes better than SE does so overall Nintendo has done a much better job of promoting DQB2 than Square Enix has so pretty sure it's sold better on NSW than on PS4
With how well Nintendo has promoted Dragon Quest for a while, I am curious to see if the Switch version of DQ11 breaks the series' curse in the west.

Radline

Oct 28, 2017
Glad that the spinoff series is doing well.

Highly tempted to get Builders 2 despite still needing to finish Builders 1 on my PS4, but the appeal of having Builders on the go draws me in.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Lol.
This is totally false...both Square and Nintendo have pushed the game both before and after launch. This is a false narrative from people with old school advertising mentalities. Social media and video content on the internet IS marketing.

Oct 27, 2017
The game is so much fun—much deserved! I'm almost done with the main quest and it's one of my favorite games this year.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Glad I did my part, it is an addicting game that scratches an itch I didn't know I needed.

MarcyPoos

Oct 25, 2017
I've already put 60 hours into it and I'm more enthusiastic about it than ever. Game deserves the success. I'm kind of hoping Square and Nintendo can do a crossover builders style game perhaps with the Zelda IP. The formula is so good and deserves far more success.

Nista

Oct 26, 2017
It's a well made game for the most part. I've had a blast playing it, and I hope they have some long term support for it with DLC and such to keep things interesting.

Oct 27, 2017
I need to get this sometime. Maybe on Black Friday since my gaming is looking booked up thru November with so many releases. Loved the first and like what I hear about sequel