• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i haven't seen a single paper mario fan give a damn about games outside of their spin-off, so yeah i agree

Paper Mario fan & Mario fan right here! Mario is my favorite franchise overall.

So i do mean it with 100% sincerity when i say that Color Splash is the worst Nintendo made Mario game, spinoff or otherwise.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
NSMB on DS. Just completely bland and forgettable IMO. There were elements of 2 I liked more, even if it was an extremely easy game. I really enjoyed the New games on Wii and Wii U.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
MC8Km9Y.jpg

Mario Game Gallery

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I liked NSMB, it is in retrospect bland and inferior to the classic 2D Mario games. However it felt like such a breath of fresh air in 2006 to have a brand new 2D Mario game on a handheld no less, and it was a neat mix of old and new. Many things from the 3D games were brought over into 2D which was novel at the time. The original NSMB had its own identity and didn't just shamelessly copy-paste the previous games. The rest of the NSMB line i don't really care for as they are nothing but less expansion packs to the original NSMB.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
i mostly wish that NSMB2 went full-tilt on an arcade-y bend by making it less about the traditional mario platforming with lives and shit and more about score attacks

it's more fun to have all those numbers go up when i'm trying to go for a score than just having all those coins go into my lives

NickHyde

Oct 26, 2017
I'm playing 3D world right now and it's just not that good. I kind of wish it was on 3DS since the 3D effect made 3D land more enjoyable

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
Honestly Galaxy was probably the most disappointing to me. Sunshine is my fav nintendo game ever so I was hyped as hell for galaxy but it was such a step down imo. Hated the worse camera using dpad and controls with no second stick. And the cursor on the screen was an annoying gimmick. Also didnt like the smaller linear level design. So while its surely not the worst, its def one of my least favorites.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Honestly Galaxy was probably the most disappointing to me. Sunshine is my fav nintendo game ever so I was hyped as hell for galaxy but it was such a step down imo. Hated the worse camera using dpad and controls with no second stick. And the cursor on the screen was an annoying gimmick. Also didnt like the smaller linear level design. So while its surely not the worst, its def one of my least favorites.

Sunshine has an objectively worse camera than Galaxy....

Storminormin

Jan 14, 2018
TIL people actually like Sunshine's camera... Which frequently clips in to walls.

Worst 3D Mario: Sunshine - for me it just has too few pure platforming sections. Fludd is fun, but goop cleaning was only fun in small doses. Odyssey did this style better.

Worst 2D Mario: Super Mario Bros 2 (japan/lost levels). - Basically just first party Kaizo Mario. Not for me.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TIL people actually like Sunshine's camera... Which frequently clips in to walls.

Worst 3D Mario: Sunshine - for me it just has too few pure platforming sections. Fludd is fun, but goop cleaning was only fun in small doses. Odyssey did this style better.

Worst 2D Mario: Super Mario Bros 2 (japan/lost levels). - Basically just first party Kaizo Mario. Not for me.

For pretty much 99% of the cases you press the L trigger and it gets recentered behind Mario. If it starts moving on it's own, which only occured in the ferris wheel level then you pull the camera back (Zoom out) and it solves the issue. The biggest issue with the Galaxy camera was not the lack of controls but it was far too zoomed in on several parts.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I've never been more disappointed in a Mario game than I was with Mario is Missing as a kid. It looked like a new Mario game.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
As far as mainline Super Mario games go, it was probably Galaxy for me. Didn't like anything about it and dropped it early on. I don't remember playing Sunshine for very long either.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Mario Is Missing. That was sure a surprise when little me got home from the video rental store. Probably my first interaction with a "learning" game.

Costa

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Sticker Star is the worst RPG Mario.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 is the worst 2D platformer Mario.

I actually can't pick a bad 3D platformer Mario.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
I get that you have more freedom of control
in Sunshine, but... the camera is glitchier in Sunshine. Gets stuck in walls and behind objects with pretty regular frequency.

I just think the greater freedom of control more than makes up for the glitchiness that didnt really ever bother me and is easy to compensate for. The fact that Sunshine from 2002 was the last 3D mario to include a real freecam until Odyssey says alot and is kinda sad.

brambles13

Oct 27, 2017
I think this should be by categories. Only rating games I've actually played. Not necessarily beaten but at least played a bit.

Worst overall: Mario is Missing. This game fooled me as a kid at Blockbuster. I am still a bit salty.

Worst main 2D game: New Super Mario Bros 2 on 3ds. There are a couple of duds in this genre but this is the blandest of them all.

Worst main 3D game: Super Mario 64. I think age hasn't been amazing for this game imo. I loved it back in the 90s but I think Nintendo has consistently surpassed it. The garbage N64 controller doesn't help either.

Worst Mario Party Game: Island Tour on 3ds. I just didn't get much fun out of this one. Star Rush and the Top 100 were much better packages overall.

Worst Mario Sports Game: That Wii U Mario Tennis game. It was so barebones. The 3ds one wasn't much better.

Worst Mario RPG: Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time: I actually think this and Paper Jam are a bit on the dull side. I don't think any of these or the Paper Mario games are bad though.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
Idk, probably some of those weird licensed spin offs on snes. Mario is missing i guess.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I think age has hurt Mario 64, but I think Sunshine is worse for how much of the game is busywork in comparison.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If we only count first party mainline stuff. I'd say it's probably Super Mario Bros as everything after it improved on it.