• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
www.theguardian.com

World's richest 1% cause double CO2 emissions of poorest 50%, says Oxfam

Charity says world’s fast-shrinking carbon budget should be used to improve lot of poorest

The wealthiest 1% of the world's population were responsible for the emission of more than twice as much carbon dioxide as the poorer half of the world from 1990 to 2015, according to new research.

Carbon dioxide emissions rose by 60% over the 25-year period, but the increase in emissions from the richest 1% was three times greater than the increase in emissions from the poorest half.

The report, compiled by Oxfam and the Stockholm Environment Institute, warned that rampant overconsumption and the rich world's addiction to high-carbon transport are exhausting the world's "carbon budget".
Such a concentration of carbon emissions in the hands of the rich means that despite taking the world to the brink of climate catastrophe, through burning fossil fuels, we have still failed to improve the lives of billions, said Tim Gore, head of policy, advocacy and research at OxfamInternational.

"The global carbon budget has been squandered to expand the consumption of the already rich, rather than to improve humanity," he told the Guardian. "A finite amount of carbon can be added to the atmosphere if we want to avoid the worst impacts of the climate crisis. We need to ensure that carbon is used for the best."

The richest 10% of the global population, comprising about 630 million people, were responsible for about 52% of global emissions over the 25-year period, the study showed.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
u-g-PGY13F0.jpg

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I post this image a lot but I'll post it again.

oxfam_extreme_carbon_inequality_021215.jpg

These days I notice a disturbing trend of "India/China/Africa are polluting/growing too much!" and it is absolutely vital we do not give in to this mindset because that will invariably lead to a modern, globalized lebensraum.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have a study to cite, but I would say that they are disproportionately responsible for the fight against doing anything about it, as well.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't that just be all of the USA, Canada and various other developed countries where median income is higher than $35K USD per year?
Pretty much. It's 630 million people. Basically, societies where most people have cars and have to drive to work tend to have higher pollution.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
This is why I hate it when those at the top are telling US to conserve energy. Just like in previous topics, a good amount of people can't afford to be more efficient, and plenty of us out there are doing what we can. Still, it's also those guys that ruin all combined efforts from the energy they waste, themselves :/ Still good to do what you can, but don't badger us to "try harder" or whatever.

These days I notice a disturbing trend of "India/China/Africa are polluting/growing too much!" and it is absolutely vital we do not give in to this mindset because that will invariably lead to a modern, globalized lebensraum.

In some cases, this is true. Some major cities in China/India can be ridiculously polluted. However, if you use sites like Purple Air and look at the hot spot pollutors, it's often things like poorly regulated factories, and these can be found in most countries. It's not the poor people running them!

Deleted member 75819

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 22, 2020
Well when you let a handful of people who want to expand and grow at all (read: lowest) costs control production means that's gonna happen.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In some cases, this is true. Some major cities in China/India can be ridiculously polluted. However, if you use sites like Purple Air and look at the hot spot pollutors, it's often things like poorly regulated factories, and these can be found in most countries. It's not the poor people running them!
Yeah I won't deny the developing countries have a local air/biome quality problem due to overindustrialization mixed with corruption and lax regulations.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Personal accountability" mythology for the proletariat, unlimited carbon emissions for the bourgeois.

UltimusXI

Oct 27, 2017
This is why I hate it when those at the top are telling US to conserve energy. Just like in previous topics, a good amount of people can't afford to be more efficient, and plenty of us out there are doing what we can. Still, it's also those guys that ruin all combined efforts from the energy they waste, themselves :/ Still good to do what you can, but don't badger us to "try harder" or whatever.

Poorly regulated factories that may be producing for wealthy other countries so that they can buy useless cheap stuff while not having to do the dirty work and keep the pollution far away.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Poorly regulated factories that may be producing for wealthy other countries so that they can buy useless cheap stuff while not having to do the dirty work and keep the pollution far away.

The people buying it, even in western countries, probably can't afford it unless it was cheap, though. Kind of a cycical issue that can't be helped on the consumer's end. There's a reason why dollar stores in the US are doing so well (who sell that "useless cheap stuff").

Dazza

Banned
Jul 31, 2020
Originally misread the original title. Was thinking only double the amount, that can't be right.... But that is 100x more per person for the 1% than the lower 50%

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I post this image a lot but I'll post it again.

oxfam_extreme_carbon_inequality_021215.jpg

The west is has a bigger claim to blame for climate change than any other. Always makes me sick when well off folks here start complaining about over-population and start chastising developing countries.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
Not surprising, the poorest people in developed countries probably contribute more to the CO2 emissions than the poorest in developing ones too. Imagine if everyone on earth had a car or flew airplanes.

farmland

Oct 30, 2017
#ThanosWasWrong

Whenever someone makes arguments that are Malthusian or Social Darwinian be very suspect of their motives.

Deleted member 80282

Banned
Sep 11, 2020
It all started with Al Gore in 2006, did he really think people would not see the hypocrisy of him telling others to reduce their living standards while living in his 20-room mansion with a heated pool and using 221000 kWh of energy per year? An Inconvenient Truth set back the climate change movement for a decade.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
The richest 10% of the global population, comprising about 630 million people, were responsible for about 52% of global emissions over the 25-year period, the study showed.

That includes our western life style, sinophobes love pointing at the CO2 output of China but forget much of the output is due to Western countries moving manufacturing there due to lower costs / much less rules on working conditions.

The west needs to change.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
That includes our western life style, sinophobes love pointing at the CO2 output of China but forget much of the output is due to Western countries moving manufacturing there due to lower costs / much less rules on working conditions.

Yep. The thought that we in the 1st world can just continue consuming the same way, but do it "greenly" is a fantasy. Your Tesla is an empty gesture.

The west is has a bigger claim to blame for climate change than any other. Always makes me sick when well off folks here start complaining about over-population and start chastising developing countries.
I don't think anyone on this forum does this. Population growth is the biggest factor that will determine the human impact on climate change over the next century. Of course it's an extremely difficult issue to discuss because it's so often used as a cudgel by racists and eugenicists, but empowering women, providing family planning services, and lifting people out of poverty is necessary the world over if we're going to have any chance at success.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why, but I immediately thought of Dr. Dre's wide asking for $900K a month for "entertainment".

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017

Indeed. Seems like the carbon free goals of most western nations are based on fraudulent math. I have a friend who used to works at medium sized steel production company and they got tax breaks and all kind of EU funding because they cut their production emissions by over 70% or something like that. But the truth is they just moved most of production to asia. Most likely their production pollutes even more now. But yet the company can boast about their green credentials.

Production emissions should count the whole cycle of a product. For example Apple Ipad's carbon foot print should count mining of the minerals, shipping, actual production, waste management, etc. Everything. Then we should slap tax on the product based on that calculation.

Deleted member 80282

Banned
Sep 11, 2020

It's not sinophobic to be against a surveillance regime government that puts their citizens in concentration camps. You can be both against western capitalism and China

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
It's not sinophobic to be against a surveillance regime government that puts their citizens in concentration camps. You can be both against western capitalism and China

Where did I say anything remotely tankie? I'm purely talking emissions.

And being "against China" is a pretty problematic statement.
Fuck the CCP but many Chinese citizens are decent people, being raised in a state with 24/7 propaganda is not their fault.

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017

But can't China or their wealthy elite refuse the western contracts? Your post makes no sense. It's not entirely on the west.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Indeed. Seems like the carbon free goals of most western nations are based on fraudulent math. I have a friend who used to works at medium sized steel production company and they got tax breaks and all kind of EU funding because they cut their production emissions by over 70% or something like that. But the truth is they just moved most of production to asia. Most likely their production pollutes even more now. But yet the company can boast about their green credentials.

That's pretty dirty when things can be offshored that way to be "their problem".

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Then how is it on the West? China can refuse the contracts for western corporations to manufacture on their land.
Acknowledging China's CO2 output isn't sinophobic.
and you can't absolve the Chinese government in this since the Chinese government has a stake in pretty much every major corporation incorporated in China.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Then how is it on the West? China can refuse the contracts for western corporations to manufacture on their land.

If we didn't use Chinese labour it would be African labour or whatever other part of the world that's exploitable.

The goods produced are mostly for western markets, so obviously our way of consuming needs to change.

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
If we didn't use Chinese labour it would be African labour or whatever other part of the world that's exploitable.

The goods produced are mostly for western markets, so obviously our way of consuming needs to change.

Exploit what? Any foreign sovereignty can outright refuse western business. uh, the eastern market is massive as well. has nothing to do with the west entirely.

Deleted member 80282

Banned
Sep 11, 2020
User Threadbanned Pending Further Review
You used "sinophobic" which clearly means you're defending tankies. All those other words you used don't matter.
I'd wager in Resetera it does mean defending tankies since you're not responding to an audience of racists and conservatives here.
The US democracy and government is fucked but it's not anywhere as fucked as China. At least we have a chance to change it in a few weeks.
Also don't forget that it's the wealthy Chinese people's demand for exotic meat that caused the Covid-19 outbreak and non transparency and secrecy of the Chinese government that resulted in it spreading everywhere.
So while a vast majority of people in China are victims just like the rest of us, the Chinese ruling class is guilty and should be hated.

Last edited: