• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
In the eyes of the world's media, Britain – a "Plague Island" led by a man who thinks "optimism is a substitute for hard truths and proper management" – is currently getting a good lesson in "what 'reclaiming sovereignty' means".

If never quite explicit, the schadenfreude is palpable as dozens of countries, days before the end of the Brexit transition period and with no trade deal yet agreed, suspend travel from the UK in response to the new, more contagious coronavirus variant.

Britain, "christened not long ago by a pro-Brexit lawmaker as 'Treasure Island' for the riches it offers, has earned another moniker", reported the New York Times. "'Plague Island' … And for their troubles, Britons largely blamed Boris Johnson."

For the UK's embattled residents, the paper said, "already girding for the country to finalise its messy divorce from the EU, the sudden sense of being cut adrift from the bloc – and from the world at large – felt like a bitter taste of what might be to come."

The Sydney Morning Herald had a brutal answer. Britain's response to the pandemic had been "mired in inaction, plagued by failures of the state to mobilise and Johnson's own destructive habit of promising false dawns simply because he cannot stand to be the bearer of bad news," it said.

Time after time, Johnson has "promised a 'return to normal' before the British state was able to deliver. Instead, Booster Boris has delivered up a busted flush. Britons have extra cause to feel cheated. They have been whispered fantasies by a prime minister who thinks optimism is a substitute for hard truths and a clear, consistent management plan."

For the French daily Libération, the continental blockade was "even more effective than that decreed by Napoleon in 1806, cutting Britain off from the rest of Europe and from parts of the rest of the world."

With ports closed, planes grounded and the Channel tunnel shut, it said, "nothing can leave the kingdom – even if, theoretically at least, it is still possible to enter … A few days from the UK's exit from the single market on 31 December, it's all giving London a foretaste of its 'regained sovereignty'."

www.theguardian.com

World's media ask how it went so wrong for 'Plague Island' Britain

Boris Johnson comes under fire as countries suspend travel from UK over new Covid variant

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
BLvkHbg.gif

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
Sadly, whilst the world's media may be asking what went wrong, a large section of the British public thinks that the Government is great, and are blaming each other for society's ills.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My wife and I had a 10th wedding anniversary to Paris planned in March. We postponed it and rebooked for our 11th next year, but I'm tempted to cancel even if we are permitted to go because I just don't think we'd be welcome thanks to the behaviour of so many British people.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
My wife and I had a 10th wedding anniversary to Paris planned in March. We postponed it and rebooked for our 11th next year, but I'm tempted to cancel even if we are permitted to go because I just don't think we'd be welcome thanks to the behaviour of so many British people.
Is France doing much better? I've seen reports that things are pretty dire there too.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Plague island is a bit much, considering this is a global pandemic.

As for this country, we are never going to get rid of it at this rate. It's like a body riddled with infection and the antibiotics dose has been too small, so it keeps coming back again. We should have had a strict, enforced, full lockdown. Instead we got half hearted tiers/lockdowns and no one giving a shit that masses of people think they're special so don't need to stay home.

In Windsor we have tier 4, so we shouldn't be out and we shouldn't be buying non essential shopping, yet there's a ton of people in town buying stuff they don't need, and no one's out asking them why.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Plague island is a bit much, considering this is a global pandemic.

As for this country, we are never going to get rid of it at this rate. It's like a body riddled with infection and the antibiotics dose has been too small, so it keeps coming back again. We should have had a strict, enforced, full lockdown. Instead we got half hearted tiers/lockdowns and no one giving a shit that masses of people think they're special so don't need to stay home.

In Windsor we have tier 4, so we shouldn't be out and we shouldn't be buying non essential shopping, yet there's a ton of people in town buying stuff they don't need, and no one's out asking them why.
I'm in Tier 2, less than 10 miles from Tier 4. Riddle me that one!

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Sadly, whilst the world's media may be asking what went wrong, a large section of the British public thinks that the Government is great, and are blaming each other for society's ills.
Exactly what the tories and the tory media have been teaching people to do for the last... shit, I don't know. Probably all the way back to the Thatcher days if not before.

Headman Rum

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not a fan of the tories (and Brexit) at all but calling the uk 'plague island' is dumb as fuck given this is a global issue. 'Plague island' might make a nice headline it's not a million miles off trump trying to label covid as the 'China virus'.
the uk government has messed a lot of things up with regards to covid, and there needs to be repercussions, but lazy journalism of this type is not helpful at all.

Any Questions

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK

No way chap. Visit and enjoy

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a fan of the tories (and Brexit) at all but calling the uk 'plague island' is dumb as fuck given this is a global issue. 'Plague island' might make a nice headline it's not a million miles off trump trying to label covid as the 'China virus'.
the uk government has messed a lot of things up with regards to covid, and there needs to be repercussions, but lazy journalism of this type is not helpful at all.
It's just a turn of phrase on "Treasure Island"

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i wish this year hadn't destroyed any sense of humor or joy i can feel because "plague island" sounds like a reality show straight out of 30 Rock.

Mr. Sam

Oct 26, 2017

I think - as long as you're not spreading covid - most Parisians couldn't care less where you're from.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel all this lockdown are kinda useless.
Whatever it's already there or not, probably is already quite widespread around the world.

Until they verify that it's actually more easily spread care they should suppose that it could come also from anywhere else who still have covid outbreak.

Oct 27, 2017
We haven't done a fantastic job at managing covid of course, both in terms of government 'guidance' and adherence to any sort of common sense from a large part of the population - but I don't think we're quite at plague island levels just yet. Give it until January at least.

suedester

Oct 25, 2017
Plague Island? What a load of bullshit. No doubt this is everywhere, we found it first because we do so much genomic analysis.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

For better or worse, pretty much all of Europe is too caught up with how badly our respective governments are handling the pandemic to pay a lot of attention to what other countries are doing (other than a generic "everyone else is doing better" sentiment). Believe it or not, most people here in Spain don't even have a particularly worse opinion of how the US is handling the pandemic versus local politicians. Pretty much nobody would blame UK citizens even now, let alone next year; you'll be 100% fine.

Iacomus

Dec 26, 2018
If I remember corectly isn't the UK the second best in the world for genome sequencing? Meaning that if they've found and traced back the new variant back to September it is already globally around which other countries failed to report it?

This feels like the global commmunities are overblowing this.

Its cool to hate on UK currently.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I do think some of this falls on the public tbh. I've got friends who have absolutely no reason to listen to a word Boris Johnson has to say, and usually don't, and yet as soon as he said it was fine to go to pubs again they were straight in there, meeting people, "catching up on lost time".

blackrogue13

Nov 21, 2018
I do think some of this falls on the public tbh. I've got friends who have absolutely no reason to listen to a word Boris Johnson has to say, and usually don't, and yet as soon as he said it was fine to go to pubs again they were straight in there, meeting people, "catching up on lost time".
Isn't this the governments fault for relaxing rules too fast. Some People will always do as much as they are allowed do and if prime minister says it's ok to go to the pub then they will.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't this the governments fault for relaxing rules too fast. Some People will always do as much as they are allowed do and if prime minister says it's ok to go to the pub then they will.
Oh it's absolutely the government's fault, too. But the selfish behaviour of people who should know better isn't something I'm willing to let slide.

El Toporo

Oct 25, 2017
All I know that Johnson is not to blame for anything bad.
Should anything good happen, now or at any point in the future, that's his accomplishment.