• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FulcrumTK

Oct 6, 2020
Danganronpa is kind of a guilty pleasure for me, even if it's just through watching streams rather than playing it myself. I hope this game doesn't have as much gross bullshit as DR, because it looks neat.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm surprised they just fully revealed the twist in the trailer, I guess they didn't want to risk the chance of people buying it expecting a killing game after the bait and switch on Apple Arcade.

also just to clarify I haven't played it and don't know the extent of it at all. Just shocked they would spend years hyping it up as a killing game and then fuck it all off.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
I love how it's another death game at the start but that is turned on its head. Would probably still have that classic twist. Looks interesting.

GravaGravity

Oct 27, 2017
More games need to say "fuck my genre" in the first 10 minutes

New call of duty needs to say "war's off" at the beginning then have the rest of the game be about the awkward power struggles at the local veterans association

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Huzzah, a console port! I gladly will check out the Danganronpa studio's next game.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
I had no idea this existed but I rolled my eyes when it seemed like a Danganronpa knockoff. They were smart to show that it wasn't as simple as that.

Huskman

Jan 21, 2019
Really not a fan of the character designs, but I loved 999 and AI so I'll dip into this prolly.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Could tell it was the same team from Dangonronpa immediately.

Hope it has dual language voice acting.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Been looking forward to this! Later than I hoped but I'm in!

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I forgot this was a thing announced a while back.

Considering the director, I wonder how hard they will go. I doubt all that hard considering the artstyle seems straight out of Pokémon, and the protags seem like 10 year old kids.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
This looked so interesting and then they swerved into a side scroller lol. Oh well.

KaCo

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
May 22, 2018
Got to admit, the switch in narrative defiantly made me more interested in this game. Guess I'll keep an eye on this.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
i want to trust in uchikoshi again. 999 is a masterpiece but the rest of the series was a downhill slide. i guess the somnimium files was fine though?

actually the exciting thing here is that uchikoshi is teaming up with his partner from kid, who worked with him on the infinity games (never 7, remember 11, and ever 17). i also trust kodaka on the character side of things, so i hope the full experience is pretty good, since that's three major vn people in one space.

also people picked up on the character designs looking like pokemon's... apparently the artist (take) worked on some character designs for sun and moon.

PlatypusDude

Oct 25, 2017
Willing to give this a shot. Enjoy the Zero Escape series and the bit of Danganronpa I have played. Interesting to see them try something different, hope it averts some of Kodaka's and Uchikoshi's samey tropes they can fall into. Going nope to the Death Game seems promising in that regard.

also people picked up on the character designs looking like pokemon's... apparently the artist (take) worked on some character designs for sun and moon.

Think they specifically worked on the Aether Foundation characters in Sun and Moon (Lusamine, Faba, etc.) and think some of the gym leaders in Sword and Shield from some quick research.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I'm surprised they just fully revealed the twist in the trailer, I guess they didn't want to risk the chance of people buying it expecting a killing game after the bait and switch on Apple Arcade.

also just to clarify I haven't played it and don't know the extent of it at all. Just shocked they would spend years hyping it up as a killing game and then fuck it all off.

I still don't understand what you're trying to say even with the clarification lol

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Willing to give this a shot. Enjoy the Zero Escape series and the bit of Danganronpa I have played. Interesting to see them try something different, hope it averts some of Kodaka's and Uchikoshi's samey tropes they can fall into. Going nope to the Death Game seems promising in that regard.

Think they specifically worked on the Aether Foundation characters in Sun and Moon (Lusamine, Faba, etc.) and think some of the gym leaders in Sword and Shield from some quick research.

oh this was the artist from katanagatari. the anime for it is fucking great.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kinda pissed me off that they would namedrop both Danganronpa and Zero Escape in the direct but those games are still not on Switch. LIke, how the hell have they not been ported over yet? It's a cliche but the Switch is perfect for those sorts of games, I'd definitely buy them again on Switch and I know a lot of people would.

As for Worlds End Club, looks weird and maybe not what I was expecting but still good. Definitely wanna play it at some point but I still have to play Somnium FIles first.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda pissed me off that they would namedrop both Danganronpa and Zero Escape in the direct but those games are still not on Switch. LIke, how the hell have they not been ported over yet? It's a cliche but the Switch is perfect for those sorts of games, I'd definitely buy them again on Switch and I know a lot of people would.

gotta bug spike chunsoft for those. it's up to them to do that work. and kodaka and uchikoshi don't work there anymore - this is a different company.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
I'm really surprised they revealed that twist! It was really fun to experience it blind when it originally came out.

The Direct revealed the (early) twist for Outer Wilds too. Nintendo has no chill. Or maybe they just assumed everyone knew the basics for late ports. :P

I'm kind of glad they did though, because my first reaction was "The makers of Danganronpa bring you... Danganronpa!" Kind of interested to see it's not that.

(Granted, I would have played a Danganronpa-like too)

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
The name made me think this was related to those World End Economica games at first.

I guess it's like hiding the "twist" in Donkey Kong '94, it's a cool moment if it catches you unaware but in the end it's integral to people's decision to buy the game so they should know that beforehand. I wonder how many people skipped DK'94 on the Virtual Console because the store entry there treated it like an arcade port.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
More games need to say "fuck my genre" in the first 10 minutes
Pretty much what sold me on the game. At first I was interested enough (I like DRR) but then they reveal the twist and I was instantly sold, much more of an interesting concept (and I quite like the look of the gameplay. So probably a day 1 buy for me.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Probably my most hype game of the direct.
I loved AI somnium files and I can't wait to play this one.
I personnally love how the childish artstyle is clashing with the darker tone of the story. Definitely getting this one.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I still don't understand what you're trying to say even with the clarification lol

They've advertised this game as a killing game since conception for years up until it came out on Apple Arcade. Once people played it on Apple Arcade and realised it isn't, they're now advertising that it's not.

I read about this in its OT back when it came out but that's all I knew. I haven't played it myself because I was waiting for the full version.

I don't get why they even did this instead of being straight from the start lol.

I guess it's like hiding the "twist" in Donkey Kong '94, it's a cool moment if it catches you unaware but in the end it's integral to people's decision to buy the game so they should know that beforehand. I wonder how many people skipped DK'94 on the Virtual Console because the store entry there treated it like an arcade port.

I've never played DK94 so not sure what you're referencing but I'll take it. My assumption is the reason they revealed it for the Switch trailer is that whilst the Apple Arcade version was only $5 to play, not many people would be upset they were lied to. Where's a full priced game would have people less forgiving.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
Not that hot on the characters but this is a game that is played for the story, what was the name of that other Danganronpa follow-up with the guy using a motorbike as a baseball bat?

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Not that hot on the characters but this is a game that is played for the story, what was the name of that other Danganronpa follow-up with the guy using a motorbike as a baseball bat?
tribe nine?

www.youtube.com

TRIBE NINE (トライブナイン) コンセプトムービー

アカツキ×トゥーキョーゲームスのタッグが放つ、新IPプロジェクトが始動!ティザーサイト公開!https://tribenine.tokyo/<開発メンバー募集中>

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I've never played DK94 so not sure what you're referencing but I'll take it. My assumption is the reason they revealed it for the Switch trailer is that whilst the Apple Arcade version was only $5 to play, not many people would be upset they were lied to. Where's a full priced game would have people less forgiving.
The "twist" is that the game starts out looking like the arcade game but after completing all four stages (which is easier in it than in the arcades even before you notice that Mario has additional moves like the backflip, triple jump and throwing the hammer) DK runs away into a city and suddenly the game changes into a puzzle platformer where you can lift and throw enemies, need to get a key to the exit door and generally there's 100 different stages to go through with always changing environments. The Virtual Console store entry only showed the first four stages and never mentioned how long the game truly is.

Similar price difference too with the VC release being like $4 but the original release a full price Game Boy game (with additional Super Game Boy features, it was the launch flagship title for that).

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Limited Edition revealed for NIS' store. Doesn't seem to be up, but here's what it includes (used Gematsu since I couldn't copy it from my email)

WEC_02-17-21_LE.jpg

All regular versions of the game will be $50 physically ($40 digitally) & get you a sampler soundtrack, mini artbook, & reversible cover.

.....man, moving away from physical CDs is a bummer...

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Yes, I think the limited edition email went out early since the store page listing does not seem to be live yet.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Limited Edition revealed for NIS' store. Doesn't seem to be up, but here's what it includes (used Gematsu since I couldn't copy it from my email)

WEC_02-17-21_LE.jpg

All regular versions of the game will be $50 physically ($40 digitally) & get you a sampler soundtrack, mini artbook, & reversible cover.

.....man, moving away from physical CDs is a bummer...
I'm buying a new car in the next couple of days, and was struck by the fact that I will now be down to exactly one device in my life that can actually play audio CDs once I retire my old car- the PS3 I have hooked up in my bedroom, primarily so I have a Blu-Ray player up there.

That said, as someone who has bought games with CD soundracks and literally never used them dating back to the 3DS era, I wonder how much of the appeal is "a physical item" vs "something I would actually use"

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing how people are saying this went from Danganronpa-a-like to not pleases me. I didn't like Danganronpa (but liked 999), so I'm curious about this.

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
My only concern is that even in the Danganronpa games there were often sections or minigames with actual gameplay in them (Monomi vs the Beasts in DR2 for e.g.) and my impression of those along with the court minigames was that, basically, that team are *awful* at anything involving actual gameplay :p