• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
You should look up the metro population for Stuttgart.
You.. You meant the population of the Metropolregion? That's not a city.
The city has less than 700k people.

Edit: Yeah, whatever number you're looking at, it's not the city population. It's probably something including about 150 cities, towns, whatever.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
I know it's built up a lot since I lived in the valley, which was a long time ago. My recollection of San Jose is just endless blah.

I've always said that San Jose would be awesome if it was one huge Blade Runner-esque monolith. It's a tech city, after all.

lmao Phoenix ahead of New Orleans what in the world.

Don't turn this into a shit on Phoenix thread, thanks. We already get shat upon, thanks.

raygcon

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
How could the world best city has no internet and aircon in their metro? LOL
I live in London btw. Can't beat its park and greenery but man, some thing can definitely be improved. I feel like living in medival time. Quality of living alone i would give that to Tokyo. A lot cleaner and better management ( and more modern ).

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, Hamburg and Dusseldorf are all too low.

Birmingham being on the list at all is hysterical. As is Krakow not being.

No Edinburgh?!?

Think Manchester is about right. It's getting better, significantly so since decentralisation but it's still got a lot of work to be done and only recently feels like a big city. Going by what I get in the post about future developments it's going to get much better but that is going to take time. It's also a massive building site at the moment.

Last edited:

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
If the list of cities were the best place to live for the middle class Austin would have been in the top 10 about 15 years ago, but these days it is only a top city for the top 20% earners. Middle class families that want a house have to look for under market prices in exterior suburbs like Hutto, Liberty Hill, and Manor.

Ikuu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You.. You meant the population of the Metropolregion? That's not a city.
The city has less than 700k people.

Edit: Yeah, whatever number you're looking at, it's not the city population. It's probably something including about 150 cities, towns, whatever.

They aren't going by the city population.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
In the cities where I have been Singapore deserves to be number 1 if you neglect the politics and ecological sustainability.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
If the list of cities were the best place to live for the middle class Austin would have been in the top 10 about 15 years ago, but these days it is only a top city for the top 20% earners. Middle class families that want a house have to look for under market prices in exterior suburbs like Hutto, Liberty Hill, and Manor.

The 2020 Census is going to be insane for Austin.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
They aren't going by the city population.
I guess I misread, sorry.
Also, who cares about metro population.
The city Stuttgart is 80 square miles large.
The metro region is 5900 square miles. Less than 1/20th of the population density of the city. Why would that population be relevant?
(i sound dismissive but I'm genuinely asking)

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017

Also, this is good reading.

Oh, and...

Wow, Austin's Asian community is at 7.5%.

Last edited:

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
There's no world where Chicago ,Moscow??? Barcelona, New York City, Paris or London are better than Singapore. Tokyo could be though.

Hong Kong would only be better than Beijing if you somehow ignore the price of any property that's larger than a closet. Also where are Shenzhen and Shanghai both of those are better than Hong Kong and Beijing .

San Fran is also only one of the best cities in the world if you ignore the prices for decent property and insane amount of homeless people.

This list seems to ignore most of the bad things about these cities

Last edited:

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
There's no world where New York, Paris, CHICAGO?? ,Moscow??? Barcelona, New York City, Paris or London are better than Singapore. Tokyo could be though.

Hong Kong would only be better than Beijing if you somehow ignore the price of any property that's larger than a closet.
Says someone who has never been to Chicago.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Work as in experience Japanese work culture or like, commuting/living?

Not him, but both of these for me. Commuting in Japan gets pricey real quick (at least it did for me, and I've been there 4 or 5 times), and the work culture is a bitch. My ex would go to work around 8am and often not make it home until 9pm or 10pm if she's lucky. It wasn't rare for her to get around 5-6 hours of sleep multiple times a week, especially since her boss loved to take the office out drinking.

It's a great country to visit, but I definitely think there's more comfortable living elsewhere in Asia.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Not him, but both of these for me. Commuting in Japan gets pricey real quick (at least it did for me, and I've been there 4 or 5 times), and the work culture is a bitch. My ex would go to work around 8am and often not make it home until 9pm or 10pm if she's lucky. It wasn't rare for her to get around 5-6 hours of sleep multiple times a week, especially since her boss loved to take the office out drinking.

It's a great country to visit, but I definitely think there's more comfortable living elsewhere in Asia.

This is definitely a huge knock against Japan. Not only that, but the country stigmatized the SHIT out of ADHD.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't been to that terribly many cities but Rome is probably my favorite so far. Athens was great too. I need that history you can't find here in the US.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
The top 4 are some of the most expensive place in the world to live and Barcelona is hardly cheap either, the experience of living in those places is going to vary hugely

Shokunin

Oct 25, 2017
The city beautiful
Work as in experience Japanese work culture or like, commuting/living?
Both. I would be miserable.

Exactly. I'll enjoy my visits to Japan every couple of years but forget the illusion of ever wanting to work/live there.

tuta

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I love living in Paris but I would not put it in my Top 5...
I'd also place Tokyo as #1.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
NY and Chicago are pretty much on every legitimate top 10 list.
I understand NY and Chicago being in the top 10, I can't imagine them being considered better than Singapore.
Says someone who has never been to Chicago.
Downtown Chicago is definitely better than NYC , LA and San Fran . Im just confused about how it's supposed to be higher than Singapore , especially considering the placement of cities like San Fran in this list.

I feel like they're only taking into account the best parts of the city. Because that's the only way somewhere like Moscow could be top 5. They have similar issues as San Fran with the homelessness and stuff.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
really still struggling to understand your love for Austin, and other cities that virtually require a car to live in them (ie LA, Houston). figured with you as a city planner public transit would be a higher priority

I love walkability and density as much as the next planner, but there's more to a city than just light rails and density. New Orleans is one of the worst cities when it comes to a lot of things related to infrastructure, and you need a car to get almost everywhere there as well. But at the end of the day, New Orleans overcomes its misgivings by being one of the most vibrant, soulful, and beautiful cities anywhere, despite its sometimes horrible infrastructure.

So cities like Los Angeles, despite being extremely car dependent, still remain as one of my favorites due to the culture, the sheer diversity, and how important the city is to the global economy. I remain optimistic that they will be able to fix their issues as well.

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
That list is like most cities except the one I live in... lol
Happy for SĂŁo Paulo and Rio making the list.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Top 30 of the shittiest cities on earth, with rank 1 - 30 consisting solely of Ottawa

All I take from your post is that you have an unhealthy obsession(since this is not the first time I've seen you rag on Ottawa).

I'll enjoy my clean air, easily accessible nature, reasonably priced real estate and amazing quality of life while you stay salty and jealous.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
A city like Dubai in the top ten is kinda ridiculous. It's certainly not the best city for a lot of people...

Yep, Vienna is usually ranked as one of, if not THE , most livable city in a lot of rankings. Munich is usually also ranked very highly.
Love Vienna, but smoking in public is so rampant in Austria (including Vienna) still which really soured me on it quite a bit.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
No. That's wrong too.
Yes, it makes me happy that this city is finally getting its due

Yeah, as bad as Houston's land use can be, it's still a terrific city. It's a global city, one that is on an international scale, and it only seems to getting better.

The only two recommendations I have...keep on pushing for infill, and see if you can incorporate green infrastructure into your city more. It would help with flooding.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I love walkability and density as much as the next planner, but there's more to a city than just light rails and density. New Orleans is one of the worst cities when it comes to a lot of things related to infrastructure, and you need a car to get almost everywhere there as well. But at the end of the day, New Orleans overcomes its misgivings by being one of the most vibrant, soulful, and beautiful cities anywhere, despite its sometimes horrible infrastructure.

So cities like Los Angeles, despite being extremely car dependent, still remain as one of my favorites due to the culture, the sheer diversity, and how important the city is to the global economy. I remain optimistic that they will be able to fix their issues as well.
Ohh yeah , I wasnt really thinking about the importance of the cultural factors. That makes this list make more sense, and explains why Beijing is there instead of Shenzhen or Shanghai . I was mostly thinking about more measurable quality of life related things.

Still dont get San Fran and Moscow's placements

signal

Oct 28, 2017
All I take from your post is that you have an unhealthy obsession(since this is not the first time I've seen you rag on Ottawa).

I'll enjoy my clean air, easily accessible nature, reasonably priced real estate and amazing quality of life while you stay salty and jealous.
This isn't even the first time I've been called out for shitting on Ottawa multiple times. My crusade of truth will never end.

And enjoy your cultural-less snow covered awful public transport having boredomzone.