• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
It's real-life that, being a very clear misogynist place in the first place, that helps fester the mindset that leads these people to think so little of women to begin with. If people were educated and not allowed to be sexist pigs in real life, they wouldn't be such on the internet as a result because the mindset to think it's ok to think of women as inferior and harm them wouldn't exist in the first place. Again, the internet is just a mirror of the real world, and sure, we can surely strive for harsher moderation and more strict internet rules (hopefully ones that won't go against rights for privacy and anonymity too which are crucial pillars of a free Internet), but this will never solve this in full.

The real world already hates women and do not trust them whenever they are reporting a rape/sexual assault. The laws and justice system are already not in our favor. Real life has been fostering most of online behaviors for the longest of times, it's just a natural evolution of it all to me, and it feeds to one another. This shit is all subparts of a the bigger battle.
I still think that the internet has helped normalise extremism and increased its spread. I look up a YouTube video for a game trailer and get the almighty algorithm recommending me a video on how women SJW's are ruining gaming. And I'm a women and that's being chosen to spread to me. You telling me it's not spreading to kids? The internet in itself is becoming a vector for spreading sexism and we need to treat it as such. We have to get every vector in which sexism is spread. Children can be taught sexism is bad til you are blue in the face but how effective is the message when their favourite streamer is saying it's okay not to work with women or the even just women constantly being talked over on the internet? Internet influences us as much as real life, we need to treat it as such. We should o course fight sexism in real life but I don't think we can assume that solving it there will solve it on the internet, I would actually say if we don't work on both, we can't make inroads on either.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Glad that he brought this up and hopefully policing online abuse will be done better. There is no difference between online and offline abuse, and it should be treated equally.

Aomame

Oct 27, 2017
It's very ironic for mods in this thread to be parroting the "but real life harassment" line when they supposedly police a community rampant with sexism. This is a platform where you have the power to do something about online harassment of women. Misogyny is a complicated beast that spiderwebs out into every facet of life, digital or physical. The physical issues will not be solved without significant political action. The digital can be combatted with deplatforming, proper modding, and listening to women online. Consider where you have power to affect change and make your voice heard and then turn that into action.

Nov 27, 2019
Oh, I was speaking about online only. There is nothing to hide for me in RL.
I'm more of a tomboy person, and never been a girlish girl, so online people are quick to picture me as male from my posts, and I just always went with that.
But I never tried actively to come off as male, thus it was suspected I might be gay, when I was drooling over a male character or whatever.
And I still felt better with that than letting people know, there is actually a woman behind the account.
(I just wanted to clarify, cause your background seems a bit different here as I understand it, and I'd feel kinda dishonest otherwise. :>)
Derp.

Reading comprehension is for losers!

; )

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Intentional or not, it creates the same effect as saying "but guys get harassed too" when anyone brings up harassment against women, or saying "all lives matter" when anyone says "black lives matter". Both statements are true, but bringing them up right when someone tries to bring a specific, different topic into discussion derails the conversation.

Honestly, respectfully, the false equivalence jumped out here. What even is that line of thinking? What even is that garbage comparison?
I'm out here saying that the problem of online misogyny will NEVER be fixed without the problem of offline misogyny, and you're out here trying to compare offline misogyny to "not all men" and "all lives matter" shit, do you even hear yourself right now? Do you?

I'm not here trying to diminish the importance of online misogyny, I'm a woman, and I have been on the internet for over 20 years now, since I was a little girl, I very much suffered from that misogyny full-throttle, I don't need you to explain that to me. I've also endured offline misogyny throughout my entire fucking life, so I know what this looks like too, and I'm just here saying that trying to solve one problem won't account to anything of value, if we don't tackle the problem of misogyny as a whole.

When societies as a whole hate our existence, when laws are against us, when justice is biased towards men, when all possible institutions have been created to help men and sabotage anything women would try to do or say, when our lives are constantly at the mercy of men, when even in death we are treated like less than, and have our murderers excused and forgiven, this is why shit gets this horrendous online. This isn't a coincidence at all.

I still think that the internet has helped normalise extremism and increased its spread. I look up a YouTube video for a game trailer and get the almighty algorithm recommending me a video on how women SJW's are ruining gaming. And I'm a women and that's being chosen to spread to me. You telling me it's not spreading to kids? The internet in itself is becoming a vector for spreading sexism and we need to treat it as such. We have to get every vector in which sexism is spread. Children can be taught sexism is bad til you are blue in the face but how effective is the message when their favorite streamer is saying it's okay not to work with women or the even just women constantly being talked over on the internet? Internet influences us as much as real life, we need to treat it as such. We should o course fight sexism in real life but I don't think we can assume that solving it there will solve it on the internet, I would actually say if we don't work on both, we can't make inroads on either.

Hate against women was already existed way before the internet was even a thing. Polytechnique sexist massacre is a thing that happened way before the internet was a thing. Domestic abuse and murders were a thing that happened way before internet was a thing. Rape-apologism and the justice system and laws siding against women at all times were already a thing that happened way before the internet was a thing. Women being stalked, harassed, raped and killed by entitled hateful men were already a thing way before the internet even existed. Any single ideology that online meninists are spreading online, they were already a thing way before the internet existed, and chances are, at times, they were even the mainstream ones.

Study of women's rights history will tell you as much. Reading feminists essays will say as much. This isn't brand new information here. So seeing it happening on the internet? Same old shit to me, same old expression of the same old patriarchy doing whatever it's been always been doing for centuries.

I won't deny that Internet hasn't allowed, in some areas, for those ideologies to take an even stronger foothold than they would have had things been more regulated, but those ideologies are already existing in the real world and have a huge foothold in the real world and are the main sources of all that crap.

A streamer saying it's ok to not work with women is a blip on my radar when I'm already surrounded by real world industries discriminating against women and not wanting to work with them either, in more insidious and more subtle ways. When politicians partake in insane boys club behavior on the daily. When people in positions of power are all men and keep on hiring men to feed on the bro-monoculture. That streamer is actively participating in a sexist mindset that exists already in tangible real ways in real life, only in real life it's a thousand more violent and insidious.

So yeah, the internet misogyny is a problem that must be tackled hands in hands with real life misogyny, or else, like I said, it would be putting a bandage on a wooden leg.

Last edited:

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Honestly, respectfully, the false equivalence jumped out here. What even is that line of thinking? What even is that garbage comparison?
I'm out here saying that the problem of online misogyny will NEVER be fixed without the problem of offline misogyny, and you're out here trying to compare offline misogyny to "not all men" and "all lives matter" shit, do you even hear yourself right now? Do you?

I'm not here trying to diminish the importance of online misogyny, I'm a woman, and I have been on the internet for over 20 years now, since I was a little girl, I very much suffered from that misogyny full-throttle, I don't need you to explain that to me. I've also endured offline misogyny throughout my entire fucking life, so I know what this looks like too, and I'm just here saying that trying to solve one problem won't account to anything of value, we we don't tackle the problem as a whole.

When societies as a whole hate your existence, when laws are against us, when justice is biased towards men, when all possible institutions have been created to help men and sabotage anything women would try to do or say, when our lives are constantly at the mercy of men, when even in death we are treated like less than, and have our murderers excused and forgiven, this is why shit gets this horrendous online. This isn't a coincidence at all.

Hate against women was already existed way before the internet was even a thing. Polytechnique sexist massacre is a thing that happened way before the internet was a thing. Domestic abuse and murders were a thing that happened way before internet was a thing. Rape-apologism and the justice system and laws siding against women at all times were already a thing that happened way before the internet was a thing. Women being stalked, harassed, raped and killed by entitled hateful men were already a thing way before the internet even existed. Any single ideology that online meninists are spreading online, they were already a thing way before the internet existed, and chances are, at times, they were even the mainstream ones.

Study of women's rights history will tell you as much. Reading feminists essays will say as much. This isn't brand new information here. So seeing it happening on the internet? Same old shit to me, same old expression of the same old patriarchy doing whatever it's been always doing for centuries.

I won't deny that Internet hasn't allowed, in some areas, for those ideologies to take an even stronger foothold than they would have had things been more regulated, but those ideologies are already existed in the real world and have a huge foothold in the real world and are the main sources of all that crap.

A streamer saying it's ok to not work with women is a blip on my radar when I'm already surrounded by real world industries discriminating against women and not wanting to work with them either, in more insidious and more subtle ways. When politicians partake in insane boys club behavior on the daily. When people in position of power are all men and keep on hiring men to feed on the bro-monoculture. That streamer is actively participating in a sexist mindset that exists already in tangible real ways in real life, only in real life it's a thousand more violent and insidious.

So yeah, the internet misogyny is a problem that must be tackled hands in hands with real life misogyny, or else, like I said, it would be putting a bandage on a wooden leg.
Why are you acting like I'm not aware of sexism exists in real life? I'm a women as well? The internet has amplified sexism and waylaid progress and encouraged acts of violence against women. And I don't need told violence against women existed before the internet, I'm arguing it's making it worse.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
"But my wife says" types of posts are bad when they are used to minimize a problem or speak over other women. E.g., "my wife thinks catcalling is cool and flattering, what are you all so upset about?" or whatever. This kind of post is basically a close equivalent of going "my black friend thinks this isn't racist", and is absolutely not tolerated here.

In this discussion, this is not what was happening. Pointing out that online misogyny and harassment has repercussions IRL and that it also originates from existing real-life misogyny, is not minimizing it. On the contrary, it's highlighting how harmful it really is, and why it's not just about blocking and ignoring trolls or whatever.

--

Regarding the article in the OP, this part jumped out at me:
Second is online safety: according to a survey by Berners-Lee's Web Foundation, more than half of young women have experienced violence online, including sexual harassment, threatening messages and having private images shared without consent. The vast majority believe the problem is getting worse.
"More than half" is actually less than I expected. I wonder how long the women in the survey have been online. I've been online for 20+ years so I've seen my share of shit so I imagine that percentage who responded negatively, will shift their answer sooner or later. -_-

But the part about "the problem getting worse"... I can definitely feel that. Incels are a prime example.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Why are you acting like I'm not aware of sexism exists in real life? I'm a women as well? The internet has amplified sexism and waylaid progress and encouraged acts of violence against women. And I don't need told violence against women existed before the internet, I'm arguing it's making it worse.

Do you honestly believe that? For real? As far as I'm concerned, I still much prefer to be a woman on the internet in the godawful year of 2020, than a woman living in the fifties. Or eighties. Or twenties. Or any period before our modern one, really. I think you're taking a lot of things for granted here. Our voting right barely has a century old, and our abortion rights are barely older than the average poster of this forum, and are still heavily contested and fought against to this day. Women weren't allowed to have bank accounts in their name without needing the approval of their husbands just 50 years ago.

Like, for real, are you honestly truly sincerely believing what you're saying?

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Do you honestly believe that? For real? As far as I'm concerned, I still much prefer to be a woman on the internet in the godawful year of 2020, than a woman living in the fifties. Or eighties. Or twenties. Or any period before our modern one, really. I think you're taking a lot of things for granted here. Our voting right barely has a century old, and our abortion rights are barely older than the average poster of this forum, and are still heavily contested and fought against to this day. Women weren't allowed to have bank accounts in their name without needing the approval of their husbands just 50 years ago.

Like, for real, are you honestly truly sincerely believing what you're saying?

What do any of the advancements that you are citing have to do with the internet? The argument is "we would be better now without the internet than with it"; why are you misrepresenting it as "we are worse now than 100 years ago"?

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017

I'm not here trying to diminish the importance of online misogyny, I'm a woman, and I have been on the internet for over 20 years now, since I was a little girl, I very much suffered from that misogyny full-throttle, I don't need you to explain that to me. I've also endured offline misogyny throughout my entire fucking life, so I know what this looks like too, and I'm just here saying that trying to solve one problem won't account to anything of value, if we don't tackle the problem of misogyny as a whole.

When societies as a whole hate our existence, when laws are against us, when justice is biased towards men, when all possible institutions have been created to help men and sabotage anything women would try to do or say, when our lives are constantly at the mercy of men, when even in death we are treated like less than, and have our murderers excused and forgiven, this is why shit gets this horrendous online. This isn't a coincidence at all.
No, I'm not trying to downplay offline misogyny at all. I'm agreeing with you that they are both problems that need to be addressed, and that one can't be solved without the other. I'm saying that they are not mutually exclusive, and that speaking up about online misogyny does not diminish the issue of offline misogyny in any way.

What I'm trying to do is support the people in this thread that feel like they're being talked over. There are some here who are upset that a thread that brings up online misogyny is being written off by people saying that offline misogyny exists too. They aren't saying that offline misogyny doesn't exist - they're upset because that discussion is derailing the original topic of the thread. That's why people are saying that they feel like they're not being allowed to speak.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
What do any of the advancements that you are citing have to do with the internet? The argument is "we would be better now without the internet than with it"; why are you misrepresenting it as "we are worse now than 100 years ago"?

Because violence has many faces, and anything that was a hindrance to our freedom and our rights, was (and still is) a violence in and of itself. We wouldn't be better without the internet at all and I don't understand anyone who would believe as such. Not when the Internet also brought many feminists and activists to the mainstream light, not when #MeToo happened, not when the Internet was the main catalyst for a shit ton of women to better understand the patriarchal oppressive society they're living under, to find validation and comfort in each other's shared experiences, to find appropriate endless sources of knowledge to analyze it to the fullest, and to find collective ways to fight against it.

I do not believe for one single moment that the world would be better without the Internet. If that's the argument that was being made, this is my response to it. Without the internet, most of us would keep on being deeply alienated by patriarchy, without being able to name it or knowing that it even exists.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
not when #MeToo happened
I wonder if we're speaking past each other in this thread.

I think there's an argument to be made for online misogyny itself getting worse. 20 years ago I saw a lot of sexist nonsense online, but nothing quite as vile as incel communities. Online radicalization, harassment, etc. does seem to be getting worse, and various communities need to step up to combat it. Twitter and Facebook, for instance, have fallen really short.

But I absolutely agree with Delphine that the internet, by itself, did not make overall misogyny worse, for the reasons she cited. The Internet has certainly helped empower women in many aspects. #MeToo is a prime example. Without women mobilizing online to combat sexual misconduct, Harvey Weinstein might have never been taken down at all.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

I don't think anybody is arguing that sexism doesn't permeate every facet of society, especially not the women in this thread. But the only thing "everything is connected" and "we can't solve X until we solve Y" holism ever succeeds at is fostering inaction. In this sense, the comparisons to other kinds of whataboutism, and how they do nothing but derail and distract from the conversation, are entirely apt.

Trading a set of problems with specialized potential solutions, for one big problem that cannot ever be tackled without a "one size fits all" magic (and almost certainly inexistent) solution is not enlightment. The argument that Internet is merely a reflection of meatspace society, is woefully incomplete without the reciprocate: real-life society is a reflection of internet, too. Affecting one affects the other; alleviating misogyny in one alleviates misogyny in the other, and efforts to that effect are never, ever misguided.

Saying "internet sexism can't be fixed until society sexism isn't fixed, and any attempts to do so are useless" is at best defeatist, at worst actively dangerous. In your case it's a genuine (if, IMHO, wrong) statement borne out of actual concern and despair; but also understand that, in this forum, 95% of people using this argument are guys dismissing the issue and shifting blame away from the utterly toxic online videogames they so love, so you should not really be surprised that this argument is received with skepticism, at best.

And even if the argument was genuine 100% of the case... seriously, what does it accomplish? What's the takeaway? Stop even trying to make the internet a less sexist place until you solve real-world misogyny? Do you really, honestly think that's a preferable course of action?

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Because violence has many faces, and anything that was a hindrance to our freedom and our rights, was (and still is) a violence in and of itself. We wouldn't be better without the internet at all and I don't understand anyone who would believe as such. Not when the Internet also brought many feminists and activists to the mainstream light, not when #MeToo happened, not when the Internet was the main catalyst for a shit ton of women to better understand the patriarchal oppressive society they're living under, to find validation and comfort in each other's shared experiences, to find appropriate endless sources of knowledge to analyze it to the fullest, and to find collective ways to fight against it.

I do not believe for one single moment that the world would be better without the Internet. If that's the argument that was being made, this is my response to it. Without the internet, most of us would keep on being deeply alienated by patriarchy, without being able to name it or knowing that it even exists.

I wonder if we're speaking past each other in this thread.

I think there's an argument to be made for online misogyny itself getting worse. 20 years ago I saw a lot of sexist nonsense online, but nothing quite as vile as incel communities. Online radicalization, harassment, etc. does seem to be getting worse, and various communities need to step up to combat it. Twitter and Facebook, for instance, have fallen really short.

But I absolutely agree with Delphine that the internet, by itself, did not make overall misogyny worse, for the reasons she cited. The Internet has certainly helped empower women in many aspects. #MeToo is a prime example. Without women mobilizing online to combat sexual misconduct, Harvey Weinstein might have never been taken down at all.

I, personally, am undecided on whether or not Internet as a whole made the world a more or less sexist place; I was just pointing out what the argument was (or at least what it wasn't), and to stop misrepresenting it. Citing pre-internet feminist advancements is, if anything, an argument against the necessity of internet. I genuinely don't understand how they relate to the discussion in any other way.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
this is a really interesting piece, followed by a number of replies both reinforcing some of its points & the dangers of the notion of "allyship"

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I don't think anybody is arguing that sexism doesn't permeate every facet of society, especially not the women in this thread. But the only thing "everything is connected" and "we can't solve X until we solve Y" holism ever succeeds at is fostering inaction. In this sense, the comparisons to other kinds of whataboutism, and how they do nothing but derail and distract from the conversation, are entirely apt.

That's a fair point that I'll counter with the following one:
To fix the internet misogynistic culture you have to do (at least) two of the following:

1/ Establish new laws that are more strict and make sure that the perpetrators are being hold accountable. Laws that would regulate the Internet better, and make sexist behaviors, harassment, doxxing and stalking punishable by law.

To which I counter: Justice is biased against women already, laws are biased in favor of men already, women as a whole already have troubles making their voices heard. We already have troubles having any kind of justice against rapists, abusers and sexual predators (Like it took 90 fucking women to have Weinstein finally fucking imprisoned, let that sink in for a minute or two). The justice system is biased against us, the police is biased against us, the whole of society is biased against us, and we already struggle to make existing laws being applied, and to have offline offenders being prosecuted. So I'm not gonna be very hopeful about these laws being made in the first place in a profession that is overwhelmingly male, and then I'm not gonna be very hopeful about these laws being then applied, and to see perpetrators being prosecuted, when offline rapists and stalkers barely have a slap on their wrists, when domestic abusers can kill their wives and be mostly legally unbothered of the consequences of their acts.

I'm not saying those laws shouldn't be created though, they absolutely should. I'm just saying it's delusional to believe it will solve crap, because it sure hasn't solved much for offline violence against women. In my country, one woman dies almost every single day at the hand of her partner/husband. And our government is just doing jack shit about it.

2/ Have major tech companies and industries related to the Internet finally protect women by ramping up moderation, making places like Twitter and Facebook more serious about flagging and punishing sexist rhetoric, behaviors and violence.

To which I counter: Most of those companies, and the tech industry as a whole is a hugeass bro mono-culture that is led by men, with men, for men, and in which women have very little say nor power. Which is a direct cause of misogyny in the real world, a direct consequence of actual misogyny for the past centuries. You won't get to make those tech companies suddenly evolve and do the right thing, if you have no women be allowed positions of power in those, be allowed a voice, be heard and trusted. Or even to have the opportunity to be hired in the first place, which we aren't most of the time because it would disrupt the companies' historical culture of being sexist pigs in a locker room. The tech industry being in the state that it is right now, is a direct consequence of boys club behavior at its finest.

I wished those tech companies would take the appropriate steps to act on a very much needed moderation, but in order for that to happen, we first need to push for women to be hired in tech companies, and then promoted in them (which is difficult when men are almost always promoted over them).

The steps that are needed to fix the internet at large, stems from real world actions, and real world actions are tied to real world misogyny. This is what I mean when I say the both are deeply intertwined, and that it's not gonna achieve much to fight internet misogyny without fighting real world misogyny. The take-away is to fight for BOTH, which I do, and I don't see how me saying what I'm saying is an incitement in any way shape or form for inaction. If anything, it's a desperate rallying cry for more action to be done on all accounts, because we need it twice as much.

Last edited:

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
To fix the internet misogynistic culture you have to do (at least) two of the following:

1/ Establish new laws that are more strict and make sure that the perpetrators are being hold accountable. Laws that would regulate the Internet better, and make sexist behaviors punishable by law.

To which I counter: Justice is biased against women already, laws are biased in favor of women, women as a whole already have troubles making their voices heard. We already have troubles having any kind of justice against rapists, abusers and sexual predators. The justice system is biased against us, the police is biased against us, the whole of society is biased against us, and we already struggle to make existing laws being applied, and to have offline offenders being prosecuted. So I'm not gonna be very hopeful about these laws being made in the first in a profession that is overwhelmingly male, and then I'm not gonna be very hopeful about these laws being then applied, and to see perpetrators being prosecuted, when offline rapists and stalkers barely have a slap on a wrist, when domestic abusers can kill their wives and be mostly unbothered of the consequences of their acts legally.

I'm not saying those laws shouldn't be created though, they absolutely should. I'm just saying it's delusional to believe it will solve crap, because it sure hasn't solved much for offline violent cases against women.

2/ Have major companies and industries related to the Internet finally protect women by ramping up moderation, making places like Twitter and Facebook more serious about flagging and punishing sexist rhetoric, behaviors and violence.

To which I counter: Most of those companies, and the tech industry as a whole is a hugeass bro mono-culture that is led by men, with men, for men, and in which women have very little say nor power. Which is a direct cause of misogyny in the real world, a direct consequence of actual misogyny for the past centuries. You won't get to make those tech companies suddenly evolve and do the right thing, if you have have women be allowed positions of power in those, be allowed a voice, be heard and trusted. Or even being allowed to be hired in those, which we aren't most of the time because is would disrupt the companies' historical culture of being sexist pigs in a locker room. The tech industry being in the state that it is right now, is a direct consequence of boys club behavior at its finest.

I wished those tech companies would take the appropriate steps to act on a very much needed moderation, but in order for that to happen, I first need to push for women to be hired in tech companies, and then promoted in it (men are almost always promoted over them).

The steps that are needed to fix the internet at large, stems from real world actions, and real world actions are tied to real world misogyny. This is what I mean when I say the both are deeply intertwined, and that it's not gonna achieve much to fight internet misogyny without fighting real world misogyny. The take-away is to fight for BOTH, which I do, and I don't see how me saying what I'm saying is an incitement in any way shape or form for inaction. If anything, it's a rallying cry for more action to be done, because we need it twice as more.
I think we've been talking past each other as my point has been that we do need to tackle both as if we only tackle real life, the sexism will continue to be propagated on the internet, but I'm not disagreeing that real life sexism affects the internet either. I suspect we are actually agreeing with each other? I see the internet as a tool that currently is being used to continue to propagate sexism. While women can use the internet to combat sexism since the way it's set up makes it harder to do as it's designed to favour men - a lot of that is because they dominate the tech industry.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

1/ Establish new laws that are more strict and make sure that the perpetrators are being hold accountable. Laws that would regulate the Internet better, and make sexist behaviors, harassment, doxxing and stalking punishable by law.

To which I counter: Justice is biased against women already, laws are biased in favor of men already, women as a whole already have troubles making their voices heard. We already have troubles having any kind of justice against rapists, abusers and sexual predators (Like it took 90 fucking women to have Weinstein finally fucking imprisoned, let that sink in for a minute or two). The justice system is biased against us, the police is biased against us, the whole of society is biased against us, and we already struggle to make existing laws being applied, and to have offline offenders being prosecuted. So I'm not gonna be very hopeful about these laws being made in the first place in a profession that is overwhelmingly male, and then I'm not gonna be very hopeful about these laws being then applied, and to see perpetrators being prosecuted, when offline rapists and stalkers barely have a slap on their wrists, when domestic abusers can kill their wives and be mostly legally unbothered of the consequences of their acts.

I'm not saying those laws shouldn't be created though, they absolutely should. I'm just saying it's delusional to believe it will solve crap, because it sure hasn't solved much for offline violence against women.

2/ Have major tech companies and industries related to the Internet finally protect women by ramping up moderation, making places like Twitter and Facebook more serious about flagging and punishing sexist rhetoric, behaviors and violence.

To which I counter: Most of those companies, and the tech industry as a whole is a hugeass bro mono-culture that is led by men, with men, for men, and in which women have very little say nor power. Which is a direct cause of misogyny in the real world, a direct consequence of actual misogyny for the past centuries. You won't get to make those tech companies suddenly evolve and do the right thing, if you have have women be allowed positions of power in those, be allowed a voice, be heard and trusted. Or even being allowed to be hired in those, which we aren't most of the time because is would disrupt the companies' historical culture of being sexist pigs in a locker room. The tech industry being in the state that it is right now, is a direct consequence of boys club behavior at its finest.

I wished those tech companies would take the appropriate steps to act on a very much needed moderation, but in order for that to happen, I first need to push for women to be hired in tech companies, and then promoted in it (men are almost always promoted over them).

The steps that are needed to fix the internet at large, stems from real world actions, and real world actions are tied to real world misogyny. This is what I mean when I say the both are deeply intertwined, and that it's not gonna achieve much to fight internet misogyny without fighting real world misogyny. The take-away is to fight for BOTH, which I do, and I don't see how me saying what I'm saying is an incitement in any way shape or form for inaction. If anything, it's a rallying cry for more action to be done, because we need it twice as more.

While I understand your point, I still strongly disagree that action specifically targeting online issues is useless; in particular the defeatist attitude that permission from the government and corporations is needed for any kind of meaningful change. However I'm more than happy to defer that conversation to the rest of women in the thread, as I probably should have done already.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
I used to be so optimistic about globalisation and the internet. No longer.

20 years ago, never did I imagine we would be where we find ourselves today in 2020.

TBF to you, people throughout history have viewed advances in telecommunications with the optimism that it'll bring forth humanity's better nature and usher in a utopia. I remember reading people proclaim in the early 90s that the Internet would erase sexism, racism, & classism. It sadly didn't work out that way.

Arstechnica did an article years about about the history of this viewpoint, going back as far as the 19th Century when people believed the invention of the telegraph would end war forever:

arstechnica.com

The noosphere in 1996: when the Internet was Utopia

Ars takes you back to the days when the 'Net was going to cure us of …

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
My wife has a way better experience online if she hides her gender, picture and ethnicity(she's Japanese you can guess what kind of people this attracts).

She even belongs to a women only gamers group on FB and occasionally men keep sneaking in there by pretending to be women or even transgender.

Internet is a mistake.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
While I understand your point, I still strongly disagree that action specifically targeting online issues is useless; in particular the defeatist attitude that permission from the government and corporations is needed for any kind of meaningful change.

You're right, permission from the government and corporations aren't always needed for meaningful change, but you can't deny that it sure as hell helps and makes things easier for everybody, as it sets the tone and the rules. There's only so much a group of feminist activists can do, unless you're advocating for a revolution here, which, like, I'm kinda down with it tbh. But that's mostly cause I'm French, I'm always down for a revolution, this is my default position.

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
I think we've been talking past each other as my point has been that we do need to tackle both as if we only tackle real life, the sexism will continue to be propagated on the internet, but I'm not disagreeing that real life sexism affects the internet either. I suspect we are actually agreeing with each other? I see the internet as a tool that currently is being used to continue to propagate sexism. While women can use the internet to combat sexism since the way it's set up makes it harder to do as it's designed to favour men - a lot of that is because they dominate the tech industry.

It's clear what you meant and your posts were good and appreciated fwiw.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
If only this was true. Face-to-face forms of misogyny flourish to this day.
whynotboth.gif
I think the poster was just pointing out that even more people are treating women like shit on the web, even if they wouldn't do so openly in real life, since the anonymity makes them feel even safer about their bigotry.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019

I'm not saying those laws shouldn't be created though, they absolutely should. I'm just saying it's delusional to believe it will solve crap, because it sure hasn't solved much for offline violence against women. In my country, one woman dies almost every single day at the hand of her partner/husband. And our government is just doing jack shit about it.

To which I counter: Most of those companies, and the tech industry as a whole is a hugeass bro mono-culture that is led by men, with men, for men, and in which women have very little say nor power. Which is a direct cause of misogyny in the real world, a direct consequence of actual misogyny for the past centuries. You won't get to make those tech companies suddenly evolve and do the right thing, if you have no women be allowed positions of power in those, be allowed a voice, be heard and trusted. Or even to have the opportunity to be hired in the first place, which we aren't most of the time because it would disrupt the companies' historical culture of being sexist pigs in a locker room. The tech industry being in the state that it is right now, is a direct consequence of boys club behavior at its finest.

I wished those tech companies would take the appropriate steps to act on a very much needed moderation, but in order for that to happen, we first need to push for women to be hired in tech companies, and then promoted in them (which is difficult when men are almost always promoted over them).

The steps that are needed to fix the internet at large, stems from real world actions, and real world actions are tied to real world misogyny. This is what I mean when I say the both are deeply intertwined, and that it's not gonna achieve much to fight internet misogyny without fighting real world misogyny. The take-away is to fight for BOTH, which I do, and I don't see how me saying what I'm saying is an incitement in any way shape or form for inaction. If anything, it's a desperate rallying cry for more action to be done on all accounts, because we need it twice as much.

You do are very good job of making things sound hopeless. I don't want to stick my head in the sand and pretend I don't see it but sometimes that feels like the only option available.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
You do are very good job of making things sound hopeless. I don't want to stick my head in the sand and pretend I don't see it but sometimes that feels like the only option available.

That's not my intention, this isn't hopeless, as proven by the progresses women have made throughout history. I suppose I tend to have a pragmatic view on patriarchy, and that it might make me look like I'm saying things are hopeless, but they're really not. We do have many obstacles, that much is true, I think it's good to identify & analyze them, so that we can fight in a more pertinent and effective way. Change is happening but change is also very slow. I don't even expect for women to reach true gender equality during my lifetime. Part of me thinks it might actually never completely happen anyway. Doesn't mean we shouldn't fight with our mightiest regardless.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
TBF to you, people throughout history have viewed advances in telecommunications with the optimism that it'll bring forth humanity's better nature and usher in a utopia. I remember reading people proclaim in the early 90s that the Internet would erase sexism, racism, & classism. It sadly didn't work out that way.

Arstechnica did an article years about about the history of this viewpoint, going back as far as the 19th Century when people believed the invention of the telegraph would end war forever:

arstechnica.com

Part of that I think is that some mistake new tools as the driver of progress, not a method to achieve it.

Technology tends to result in the democratization of power. The printing press made the Protestant revolution possible, TV the American civil rights movement, and internet countless modern movements. People need to recognize a tool is a tool and progress isn't a forgone conclusion.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017

arstechnica.com

Yeah, it was quite naive, in hindsight.

Thanks, will give the article a read.

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'll just say that I've reported a number of posts on here for sexism and nothing ever happens so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

A lot of dudes on here think their leftist politics cancel out their sexism.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even still, the web is severely skewed male because of the tech workers (mostly male) end up not caring about bias.
ill admit that i usually assume most people online are male. message boards have always been in large part male with few females around. at least the message boards i frequented over the years which have been mostly gaming boards and back in the day mma and boxing boards.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
It's really a shame how much easier coordinated attacks has become with everyone's ability to easily create chat room like environments. I do wonder if the solution is to just become more savvy about the common tactics these things use.

Aomame

Oct 27, 2017
ill admit that i usually assume most people online are male. message boards have always been in large part male with few females around. at least the message boards i frequented over the years which have been mostly gaming boards and back in the day mma and boxing boards.
Women are still very much there and online, even in affinity spaces that have traditionally trended male. I worry that assumptions like these allow boys club culture to continue. There are threads here constantly about men washing their dicks incorrectly or urinal etiquette, but women make up a decent population. We just don't make ourselves visible often, because we do not feel welcome or included or heard or protected.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Tumblr and Livejournal in their heyday were full of women. I had a harder time meeting other men! I wonder if there's something about blogging vs. forums that make women feel more comfortable there?

Also in high school I was on a Danny Phantom forum. There were maybe 5 other guys there, tops.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yup, this hits home. I'm not a woman but I was sexually abused through the internet. Myself and millions of other people simply would not have been abused without the existence of the internet. The internet didn't invent misogyny or abuse or harassment or any of these other debilitating social ills, but it certainly has allowed those things to manifest in new ways and affect people who otherwise would not have been affected by them.

Obviously there are lots of positives to the internet too, but I think anyone with this kind of experience (women who have been harassed online, people who have been abused online, LGBTQ+ people bullied or outed/doxxed online) looks at the internet differently than those who have not.

Aomame

Oct 27, 2017
Tumblr and Livejournal in their heyday were full of women. I had a harder time meeting other men! I wonder if there's something about blogging vs. forums that make women feel more comfortable there?

Also in high school I was on a Danny Phantom forum. There were maybe 5 other guys there, tops.
It's an interesting observation, and I certainly don't have anything more than anecdotal experience to build off of (as a woman who was on both platforms), but here are a few contributing factors I can guess at:
  • Both were decentralized. There was not a larger community focus (like how resetera is a gaming community) and therefore there is a much lower barrier to entry and much less of an established culture to 'fit' into or be rejected by. This allowed subcommunities to form that largely polices themselves and established their own norms and patterns (arguably a more philosophically feminist pattern/power structure)
  • Both were centers for fandoms, fanart, and fanfiction, which tend to skew female more than other online spaces. Whether this happened before or after women dominated the platform is up for discussion, and it opens up a larger discussion about how women have basically invented and sustained modern-day fandom.
  • Both were blogging platforms, and so there was a certain attendance to users' emotional states and life events. Folks gathered around giving advice and support to one another. Again, chicken or egg situation, but at least with LiveJournal, this was by design.
  • Both had rather stringent privacy settings that users could implement, like f-locking their pages. This allowed women to protect themselves from trolls and bad actors online.
Tumblr in particular is something of an anomaly in that it was largely a left-leaning, progressive community. Even if you were only there for the Doctor Who gifs, it was not uncommon to read thoughtful, political posts from folks or deep critical analyses of media. I don't see anything like it on other social media platforms, and I accredit it with a lot of my political development in my late teens.

Last edited:

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Tumblr in particular is something of an anomaly in that it was largely a left-leaning, progressive community. Even if you were only there for the Doctor Who gifs, it was not uncommon to read thoughtful, political posts from folks or deep critical analyses of media. I don't see anything like it on other social media platforms, and I accredit it with a lot of my political development in my late teens.

Definitely. Tumblr turned me from a borderline-reactionary 4channer to a radical leftist. Pretty much everyone on it nowadays is a dirty America-hating commie.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's an interesting observation, and I certainly don't have anything more than anecdotal experience to build off of (as a woman who was on both platforms), but here are a few contributing factors I can guess at:
  • Both were decentralized. There was not a larger community focus (like how resetera is a gaming community) and therefore there is a much lower barrier to entry and much less of an established culture to 'fit' into or be rejected by. This allowed subcommunities to form that largely polices themselves and established their own norms and patterns (arguably a more philosophically feminist pattern/power structure)
  • Both were centers for fandoms, fanart, and fanfiction, which tend to skew female more than other online spaces. Whether this happened before or after women dominated the platform is up for discussion, and it opens up a larger discussion about how women have basically invented and sustained modern-day fandom.
  • Both were blogging platforms, and so there was a certain attendance to users' emotional states and life events. Folks gathered around giving advice and support to one another. Again, chicken or egg situation, but at least with LiveJournal, this was by design.
  • Both had rather stringent privacy settings that users could implement, like f-locking their pages. This allowed women to protect themselves from trolls and bad actors online.
Those are some really interesting observations!