• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Saber Interactive has been behind some notable Switch ports, including The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt and the Crysis Remastered games. The studio is also about ready to ship another impressive release in the form of World War Z. Many wouldn't have thought that we'd be seeing this game on Nintendo's console, but Saber managed to make it happen in the end.
Grigorenko shared the following with Nintendo Everything when asked if there's anything he'd like to see out of an upgraded Switch:
"The obvious answer would be overall better hardware with less build and patch size limitations, but I don't think the Switch needs a more powerful version that badly. Saber and many other talented studios have already proven that there is no such thing as an impossible port. Nintendo consoles were never about hardware, they were always about something that boosts your gameplay experience, and I can't wait to see what they come up with next."
Source (NintendoEverything)

I don't think this is meant to be taken completely literally, but given the recent Crysis Trilogy release, Dying Light or this World War Z port, the Switch is more capable than what people realize it seems. Personally I love playing these "impossible ports" on a handheld, the novelty never disappears.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
I think with it's current power the Switch could last another 7-10 years without a successor.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure that I agree with that statement, nor the logic behind it.

Most games aren't so complex that it's impossible to achieve a functionally similar or even identical core experience on weaker hardware... but at the same time, games are more than just the core mechanical experience, and it can be a significant challenge in and of itself to reinvent a game such that its intended aesthetic, feel, and overall vision are retained on weaker hardware. Sometimes so much so that making an entirely distinct version of the game, or simply not attempting to port at all, is seen as being more feasible.

I want a more powerful Switch not because it'd run more games necessarily speaking, but because it might run those games with performance and fidelity closer to what I enjoy on other platforms. It would do a lot to get me buying multiplatform games on Switch again.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
dear world war z dev

have you consired that people might prefer, if possible, to not play their games at 144p

Stairmaster_

Jan 27, 2019
I think with it's current power the Switch could last another 7-10 years without a successor.
Absolutely not. It could barely handle games from last gen, and it's even struggling to run first party games (BotW, Age of Calamity, Metroid Dread, and all of the Xenoblade games come to mind specifically).

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
*looks at Age of Calamity*

I mean, playing this at a stable 30fps isn't asking a lot is it?

I do think there will be a Switch 2 sooner rather then later.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I think this is frequently true. Metroid Dread looks fantastic in portable mode, but pretty crappy on a 4k screen. But from what I've heard, games like Hyrule Warriors run like garbage both docked and portable.
First party Switch games often look so stunning at 4K that I can see an argument being made for the longevity of a DLSS capable Switch successor. Certainly not the current Switch, though.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I honestly give zero shits about all these impossible ports on Switch that I can play on much better hardware, so what I care about is not being able to have a stable experience on games unique to Switch, like Age of Calamity. That and the fact that I'm a mostly docked kind of player.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
My feeling is that it's cool what they've accomplished, good for them, but I don't care about this kind of port done by a team that specializes in it. I just want the indie games I'd prefer to play on Switch made by teams that don't have those kind of resources to run better by default, lol.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
Sure, you could probably port pretty much any game and have it run at 360p20fps. But I just wouldn't be interested in playing this literal garbage.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
When is the Switch version of WWZ coming out again?

LongDongJunon

Nov 13, 2017
Sometimes just because you can doesn't mean you should if it runs so much worse.

But whatever, get money I guess. Fuck me

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
I have a Switch Lite and my biggest issue is the terrible performance most games have. When they don't have performance problems, the sacrifices made are pretty clear.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The question is, do they play well?

Cause yes you might be able to make them run but at what point does that become playable?

So yeah, Nintendo needs to hurry up and make a more powerful device.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
He's right about patch size limitations, but unlike most other limitations I can actually fully understand why that one is there, because of how the ROM carts have to work. I would appreciate if Nintendo could figure out a solution to that over just throwing in bigger hardware.

(Would being able to flash update carts be silly? It would be a solution, though one fraught with danger.)

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
I don't really care about ports but i want to see what Nintendo artists can do with more power next, thx

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
Of course no port is impossible, but you always compare it to versions you know and wonder how worse it will look and run on "weaker system x".

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Xenoblade games and any others running under native 720p (handheld) and 30fps tell me otherwise

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, I understand why a studio that focuses on "impossible ports" would say something like that.
If Nintendo suddenly released a powerful Super Switch, they'd probably get less offers to downport games.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Well thats certainly an opinion...

And so is this, lol

Wow.

I played Metroid Dread tonight. And I dont agree with either opinion.

Lmao, it's not struggling with metroid dread or BOTW at all, come the fuck on.
I dont know the specifics to say if its struggles, but I can certainly tell Metroid Dread would benefit from more powerful hardware.
One example is cut scenes taking the elevator.

Just like damn near in any other market that deals with technology, better hardware/specs can equal better user experience.

I think some ppl are thinking for what it is, its fine. And to a certain extent, I agree. But c'mon...

Last edited:

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Lmao, it's not struggling with metroid dread or BOTW at all, come the fuck on.

i mean, its definitely not holding 30 fps stable in BOTW, played it earlier in the year. I wouldnt call it struggle, but its definitely not running as smoothly as id like. And there's a bunch of games that just run like absolute shit.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I think this is frequently true. Metroid Dread looks fantastic in portable mode, but pretty crappy on a 4k screen. But from what I've heard, games like Hyrule Warriors run like garbage both docked and portable.
As someone who has yet to play in portable mode, only did it for testing out some settings, I agree.

Nintendo's been doing the "lesser hardware power" thing for almost fifteen years now and some folks still have a hard time coming to terms with it.
Even if we only look at Nintendo for this topic, they can do lesser hardware power all they want. But eventually they will need a device more powerful than the Switch.

DerMarc

Oct 28, 2017
More ports might be "possible" but the harder to do they are, the less likely they will be done. I think there's a reason why so many AAA-Games don't find their way to the Switch.

nikatapi

Jan 11, 2018
Ports can be possible, but they can also look like shit. I mean, i played the entire Witcher 3 portable, but you can't deny it looks pretty rough, especially if you play docked on a big tv.