• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa

Developer Saber Interactive, who was recently acquired by the Embracer Group for an industry-rattling $525 million, has announced World War Z. World War Z: Game of the Year Edition. The new package for the co-op third-person shooter will include new content such as weapon packs, character packs, and most notably a new three-mission PvE episode set in the French city of Marseille (see gameplay from Marseille in the video below). It also packs in all of the previously released DLC. A Nintendo Switch version is also in development, though no release date has been confirmed.

Saber Interactive also has NBA 2K Playgrounds, Halo Anniversary, and the Nintendo Switch port of The Witcher 3 on its resume. Studio CEO Matt Karch told IGN, "World War Z has had a huge impact on our studio in all respects. It feels fantastic to hit goals that perhaps a few years ago seemed unimaginable. We have over 10 million registered players that have played the game and our concurrent player counts are regularly in the tens of thousands. During our free week on the Epic Games Store 9.9 million people claimed the game and we peaked at 250k simultaneous users across platforms. The Epic team told me WWZ was the most successful free game on EGS yet - we even topped Left 4 Dead 2 in terms of downloads and number of players."

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Getting this to run on the Switch is the hardest thing that we have had to do. – Saber CEO Matt Karch

How on earth has the dev behind the Switcher 3 said this lol? WWZ doesn't hold a candle to TW3 technically and is pretty rough looking on PS4 already

I guess it's the sheer amount of bodies on the screen at once that causes the issues? Will be interesting to see how much of that they have to cut back.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I need to see this out of curiosity. It's going to look ugly depending on what they prioritize.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
This was only a matter of time, the head of Saber is a huge Switch fan. Their efforts won't go to waste, I'll be getting this day one.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Great game, perfect for Switch. Hopefully they have some cross-play as well.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
How on earth has the dev behind the Switcher 3 said this lol? WWZ doesn't hold a candle to TW3 technically and is pretty rough looking on PS4 already

I guess it's the sheer amount of bodies on the screen at once that causes the issues? Will be interesting to see how much of that they have to cut back.
World War Z puts a very impressive amount of zombies on screen at the same time, in addition to having an online infrastructure. I'm not surprised that it's more difficult than The Witcher 3.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's pretty cool. Lets see how it turns out.

I'm confident Saber knows what they're doing.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

I think they got help from CDPR for TW3, which may have made it easier.

Also if it's rough on PS4 that'll mean it's harder to get onto Switch, not easier. The better something looks/runs on PS4/XB1 the easier it is to downgrade (probably).

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
Never got round to playing this one, how similar is it to Left 4 Dead? I need a new co-op zombie game to fuck around with.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017

The online, Switch weak point

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Never got round to playing this one, how similar is it to Left 4 Dead? I need a new co-op zombie game to fuck around with.
Extremely similar but it has classes where you can unlock abilities and you can level up weapons, like Vermintide.

Several of the special zombies are very similar too: one that stalks and pounces on you, another that releases poisonous gas ...

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
This will be interesting to see. I can't imagine zombie numbers and stage assets, not taking a big hit to get running.

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017
Playing the PC version currently, I'm hoping Saber is once again able to implement cross-save on Switch to PC like they did with Witcher 3. Would be amazing. Cross-play would be nice too between all versions, can't forget about Gyro controls either.

Last edited:

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
I'm glad Sabre are still porting games to the Switch.
I got worried after they were bought out.

HOUSEJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
This game received pretty mediocre scores on consensus sites. Has the game improved since its launch?

VirtuaModel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
World War Z is a great game and I am glad more people will be able to play it. My wife and I have beaten it on three difficulties and done the DLC maps (which were free!). The game has had fantastic post-launch support that has us returning to it every so often. Most of the randoms we play with are fine too.