• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
would be interesting but at the same time WOW plays on any pc/laptop so is not like anyone can play it easily. But well more options are always welcome.

Skatterd

Oct 25, 2017
What is the status of controller support? I keep hearing about how it's getting implemented

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
If Start and Select are HP and Mana pots and the four directional points are used then you'd still need more than 18 abilities that you use regularly?

Theres a lot of micromanagent especially for healers in this game. I dunno how they want to adapt it to controllers easily.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
PS5/XSX easily have the specs to run WoW at fairly high settings. Playing WoW with a controller is never gonna work though, most classes use rotations with more buttons than a controller has, even if you use a convoluted quick menu system to increase the amount of skills you could bind I don't see how you could access them fast enough to keep up with keyboard/mouse users.

javiergame4

Oct 27, 2017
I'd honestly play this in a heart beat. I got rid of my gaming PC but when I had it I loved WoW. Hopefully it comes to consoles. Diablo 3 worked.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Theres a weird amount of gate keeping in this thread
Not sure that it is gate keeping, just a view on practicality. High level wow play has a really high amount of user input. Trying to heal a raid as they currently exist on a mouse and keyboard seems really unpleasant. Doesn't mean that the game can't be changed to work with it, but as is it would be really hard from a gameplay perspective.

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Start and Select are HP and Mana pots and the four directional points are used then you'd still need more than 18 abilities that you use regularly?

Again, maybe things have changed drastically more than I imagined since WoD, but absolutely yes. My last gig in wow was a healer in a very high end mythic raiding guild and just lol at the idea of a controller. This is just to control the character, nevermind all the other functions and this is not even considering the chat window.

scaryrobots

Oct 27, 2017
Doing Robot things
PS5/XSX easily have the specs to run WoW at fairly high settings. Playing WoW with a controller is never gonna work though, most classes use rotations with more buttons than a controller has, even if you use a convoluted quick menu system to increase the amount of skills you could bind I don't see how you could access them fast enough to keep up with keyboard/mouse users.

A lot of skills got pruned in Shadowlands and depending on the controller setup it could work (works in ff14 and eso).

StUnNeR H2K

Dec 1, 2017
Yukon, OK
I quit playing WoW during Cataclysm and said the only thing that might bring me back is if they ever found a way to bring it to console. IF this is true I could see this being a gamepass deal where the game is free via gamepass, but of course still requires a subscription to WoW and they toss in 14-days free or something to lure you in. Could this be a possible outcome of Mike Ybarra leaving MS to join Blizzard?

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're very wrong about this at any level beyond casual level questing and even that would be painful.

What does WoW over XIV that makes a controller a non option?
Genuine curiosity because I play FFXIV on a controller.

I know GCD is lower in WoW(?) but I think it has way less actions now?

Ira

Oct 27, 2017
XIV does have a longer GCD which makes it a bit more manageable on controller, but it's not as crazy an idea as some are making it sound. XIV's cross hotbar gives access to a lot of slots very quickly and easily. That approach would work fine with WoW.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty huge if true. I can see this becoming quite a behemoth of a project however: WoW has coding and iterating that goes back almost 2 decades at this point, with an insane amount of content thrown on top of each other and the game becoming very big and complex for this. Not to mention how everything in the UI and controls is built for a control method that isn't the prevalent way to play on consoles, even though it's supported. Would be a crazy move to throw it into Game Pass, you could have millions of people paying for Game Pass practically for WoW alone.

Jan 11, 2020
Not sure that it is gate keeping, just a view on practicality. High level wow play has a really high amount of user input. Trying to heal a raid as they currently exist on a mouse and keyboard seems really unpleasant. Doesn't mean that the game can't be changed to work with it, but as is it would be really hard from a gameplay perspective.

Dude, this is is not Classic tho.. Raid finder content can easily be done with a controller, solo questing and heroics also..
Not a problem, rotations now are not super complex and then just bind interrupt etc.
Easy as dps, harder as tank tho, but that is the case with ffxiv aswell

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
I quit playing WoW during Cataclysm and said the only thing that might bring me back is if they ever found a way to bring it to console. IF this is true I could see this being a gamepass deal where the game is free via gamepass, but of course still requires a subscription to WoW and they toss in 14-days free or something to lure you in. Could this be a possible outcome of Mike Ybarra leaving MS to join Blizzard?
Rod joined him too. Lol

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of skills got pruned in Shadowlands and depending on the controller setup it could work (works in ff14 and eso).

That doesn't change the fact that the content and gameplay isn't designed around Controller.

WoW and FF14 are totally different games especially in harder content. There are no indicators that constantly show you were boss abilities hit etc. and it is pretty much required to have third party addons to help you out with this.

Oct 28, 2017

No they don't. Not anymore. Most classes have hardly any abilities nowadays. This could work except for healing.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
What does WoW over XIV that makes a controller a non option?
Genuine curiosity because I play FFXIV on a controller.

I know GCD is lower in WoW(?) but I think it has way less actions now?

There is no GCD beside some cooldown abilities the game is faster in combat overall especially high end. I feel like healing would be tough. Also addons are absolute necessity to play on higher difficulties and I don't know how that would work on consoles.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
WOW + controller

Is this what hell actually is?
I don't know whether Wow would work with controller. But FF14 works great on controller and I actually heal with gamepad. Obviously SE isn't Blizzard and the games are different, but imo a good gamepad solution is possible and FF14 shows MMO can work for what it's worth.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ultimately I don't care whether or not I can do everything in WoW on a controller or not, or how well designed it is for controller or not. I will never play it without controller support, and its addition (and especially a maybe console release?) would be the best ways to get me to play.

Ashgarth

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You're very wrong about this at any level beyond casual level questing and even that would be painful.

Controller players clear the most difficult content in XIV just as much as KB/M players. You just have to design it properly and with controllers in mind.

Here's a player clearing the highest tier of difficulty currently in the game with a controller, and i didnt have to go delve the depths of youtube to find an example.

Glimpse_Dog

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
A couple of points to everyone

- WoW is absolutely playable on controller at all levels of play. Wow isnt as twitchy as you think it is

- Blizzard is adding controller support to SL purely for accdssibility reasons. I imagine the addons and interface improvements available from third parties will still be the better way to play with controller

- Ion said recently no plans to brjng wow to consoles as it would be too much work (a cop out but still)

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Dude, this is is not Classic tho.. Raid finder content can easily be done with a controller, solo questing and heroics also..
Not a problem, rotations now are not super complex and then just bind interrupt etc.
Easy as dps, harder as tank tho, but that is the case with ffxiv aswell
But healing a 15+ person raid? Even just selecting who you are gonna heal would be a nightmare. Wow on PC is tough to play at a high level without mods to begin with, with a controller it would be even harder. I am not saying it is impossible, but blizzard would need to solve a lot of problems.

Glimpse_Dog

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
But healing a 15+ person raid? Even just selecting who you are gonna heal would be a nightmare. Wow on PC is tough to play at a high level without mods to begin with, with a controller it would be even harder. I am not saying it is impossible, but blizzard would need to solve a lot of problems.

They're pretty much exclusively ux, interface and camera options though. Its big messy project but there are much bigger and messier things that have been accomplished...so eh...im calling them lazy for now.

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're wrong. I (and many others) play pretty competitvely on controller. Cant imagine going back to keyboard and mouse urghh

imgur.com

imgur.com

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Where to even begin. For one, I'm going to imagine our ideas of competitive are quite different. Also, you appear to be a Ret Paladin so what even is this conversation?

And again, I cannot imagine how painful it would be to properly manage the UI and chat with just a controller. Nevermind macros and trinkets and specific mounts and a zillion other things.

12ozbeehouse

May 16, 2018
oh man, I just found that keyboard you shove into the Xbox controller the other day while cleaning up... and didn't throw it out. maybe my bones knew... Anyway I'd be down and I haven't played wow in I can't even remember how long... especially since I now live my life like a house cat.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Controller players clear the most difficult content in XIV just as much as KB/M players. You just have to design it properly and with controllers in mind.

FF14 has a longer global cooldown than WoW, right? I imagine that facilitates bar swapping and other controller-specific mechanics in a way that would be trickier to manage in WoW, especially for certain specs that already require like two dozen hotkeys.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is no GCD beside some cooldown abilities the game is faster in combat overall especially high end. I feel like healing would be tough. Also addons are absolute necessity to play on higher difficulties and I don't know how that would work on consoles.

I imagine a UI rework would be sorely needed for a console port anyway.

Probably overall APM is lower in FFXIV but that is offset with the fact some jobs juggles around 30 to 40 skills. Healing surely would be hard, since high-end content is 8 man on XIV, which is way easier to manage on a controller than bigger parties and raids.

I wonder if they could introduce some gameplay changes to accomodate for controller users or maybe separate both PC and Console players.

Glimpse_Dog

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Where to even begin. For one, I'm going to imagine our ideas of competitive are quite different. Also, you appear to be a Ret Paladin so what even is this conversation?

And again, I cannot imagine how painful it would be to properly manage the UI and chat with just a controller. Nevermind macros and trinkets and specific mounts and a zillion other things.

Ret is one of my toons. I 36 120s, one for each spec. I also play a lot of outlaw, blood dk, fire mage and prot warrior.

And youre speaking from ignorance dude. I have all that stuff set up where its easier for me on controller than KB&M now. Ive been playing this way for 2 years and to answer your question, its not painful at all.

Also if you think our ideas of competitveness are different, youre a mythic raider as thats the only thing above where i play (tbh i usually kill 3-4 mythic bosses per tier). Thats less than 1% of players, and so blizz can kind of ignore them if they were porting to xbox as theyre not the audience.

Necrokey

Jan 20, 2019
Orlando, Florida
The action camera from Legion and the new controller UI stuff makes this a cool option! Will make it easier for a lot of people to get into WoW that have an aversion to M/KB. Will be amazing for the game if it pans out!

Feb 4, 2018
Whatever you pay for Gold right now is what you'll pay for Gamepass after they make Gold free in a few months.

Xbox wants you spending as much money in their ecosystem as possible.

Bringing WoW and FFXIV to Xbox isn't about putting them behind Game Pass but I bet both will have GP-exclusive perks (mounts, extra gold per month, etc).

Novocaine

Oct 26, 2017
I'd get my account unbanned if it came to console.

I feel like the game would need a console exclusive version though. I haven't played since MoP but I can't imagine doing any of the raids like I used to with a pad. It would be totally doable it just depends on whether Blizzard want to support multiple clients or not.

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they have their own server, I wouldn't want to play with people using a controller. I just can't imagine healing with a controller with WoW's gameplay pace. You could probably DPS because it's pretty braindead nowadays, it's not like you need swing timer addons to exploit seals or windfury procs anymore, you just mash your buttons.