• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Where Does Your Loyalty Lie?

• Kyrian

Votes: 143 20.2%
  • Necrolords

Votes: 127 17.9%
  • Night Fae

Votes: 247 34.9%
  • Venthyr

Votes: 191 27.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
FXtfkqXVEAEwFWe

Ragefire Chasm redux.

jk, this is super cool. Hadn't seen this picture yet, so thanks for sharing!

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of new Alliance and Horde assets that were added (Blood/Night Elf ships, more new human buildings, etc.), but they don't seem to have any use right now. I wouldn't be surprised if they were shooting for a EK/Kalimdor revamp in 11.0.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
any chance of you having a link for a guide or something for the mission table? I thought it was pretty much useless in its SL incarnation.

I actually don't know of any really useful guide for it (I tried searching myself ages ago). There's really not a whole lot too it but I'll post how I run it.
-You'll need two addons, Venture Plan and Covenant Mission helper. Venture plan you'll need to find and install manually but I think Covenant mission helper is on the addon download places. For Venture Plan the original author abandoned the project but others have added fixes for new missions added in 9.1 and 9.2. Venture plan will do the placing and adding the troops you have to add the companion you want to use (always just try to use one companion per mission if possible). Covenant Mission Helper checks the placements and will give a prediction if it will win or lose. Don't trust Venture Plans placements always as you'll see in CMH it will lose (which usually ends up being the case). May need to swap around companions until you find one that will win. On some of the newer missions I'll still rarely lose even though VP and CMH said I would win but that's rare and may be because I started mission before VP finished its calculation (they can take some time to calculate).
-Be Night Fae. Absolutely the strongest troops and most missions can be won with just one companion and whatever troops VP assigned. Necro is next best but not as strong. Don't even bother with Venthyr or Kyrian they suck ass vent the most. I have a Venthyr table at level 20 which I regret progressing that far. Not only do their troops suck but the majority of the companions suck too. Missions that can be finished with one companion and 4 troops on NF can require 5 companions on Vent and specific ones at that. That Vent character of mine has all companions at max level 60 though including all the ones from Torghast so I've been hesitant to drop it and just restart the table on NF.
-Outside of one character to get all the mounts don't level a table above level 16. I don't see any benefits and missions are only more difficult. For new characters I usually leave it at just 11. 12+ more of the missions that require 50 anima start showing up. Until you hit 16 though you don't get the missions for the 35 anima tokens.
-Speaking of anima the tables are all self-sufficient and can just run from the anima you win from missions so my characters never have to leave the table to farm anima or anything. Most only ever leave the table to pick up the weekly 1000 anima quest that rewards 1600g then turn it in and deposit said anima.
-I only run anima, gold, reputation, pet charm missions (though I skip the 50 anima pet charm missions a lot). I'm currently sitting on 56,000 pet charms lol. I'll also run the one that gives enchanting mats as those sell for a decent amount still but the rest I don't find to be worth the anima. Be careful when the table is level 16 Blizzard added some bizarre missions in the last patch that reward less gold but require 50 anima (gold ones are usually 10 only) and are super difficult. Night Fae usually not a problem but I don't even look at them on the Vent or Kyrian characters. I really have to wonder what they were smoking when they added those missions. I don't really run the XP missions outside the 10 anima ones as I find them a waste of anima.
-I log in and finish/start missions at least three-four times a day, morning, lunch and night. Usually twice at night once after returning then before bed. Fun thing about doing it on 14 characters is by the time you've gone through them all usually can go back to the first one and there will be new missions you can start since it's been a little while lol. I tend to leave the game running in the background on a second computer while at work then whenever I have a second will go through and start new missions if available.
-Since on Night Fae most missions just need one companion you don't really need to go farm torghast for the extras (though nice to have but takes a long time to get them all)
-When starting a new table only pick up the one first soulbind companion (Niya on Night Fae) at first and none of the others yet. Use the companion XP boost tokens you got while getting the renown to boost it up as high a level as you can (if you've been running any other tables at level 16 or above you also get companion boost xp items). The troops level will be that of the average for your companions so if you only have the one companion and boost it up you'll raise the troop level. Troop level won't decrease. Doing it this way on new characters I boost my troops up to the max level 60 before getting any of the other companions so that way the level 60 troops can power through missions with low level companions.

I think that's about it really.
Once Dragonflight comes out and they likely nerf all the rewards from the table (plus no new table) not really sure what I'm going to do. I basically only play it now for the table. Trying to farm as much gold as possible before then. I guess it will be nice not to log in so much but likely I imagine I'll stop logging in altogether at some point like what happened when I stopped in Mop. The table has given me the urge to log in all the time.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
i know, massive audiences and whatnot, but I'm not gonna lie, it irks me they give access to all these youtubers that did nothing but completely trash the game months ago, especially in that hot minute where it was cool to shill FF14 and trash WoW (and I love ff14 lol)

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Slight spoilers, I guess:

Stormwind Guards are nasty ones.

I prefer hunting dragons, not befriending them.
Those things will ruin this city!
The only good dragon's a dead one!

Go back to your home. Filthy beast.
I can smell those things from here. Disgusting.
They don't belong here. I'd love to turn those horns into a nice little trophy.

Sheesh.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017

OberstKrueger

Jan 7, 2018
There's a lot of new Alliance and Horde assets that were added (Blood/Night Elf ships, more new human buildings, etc.), but they don't seem to have any use right now. I wouldn't be surprised if they were shooting for a EK/Kalimdor revamp in 11.0.
If they did that and it was as heavy of a revamp as before, I wonder if they'd do a Cataclysm Classic.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
i know, massive audiences and whatnot, but I'm not gonna lie, it irks me they give access to all these youtubers that did nothing but completely trash the game months ago, especially in that hot minute where it was cool to shill FF14 and trash WoW (and I love ff14 lol)

I agree with this to an extent. Blizzard has been making a lot of good moves lately to promote a less toxic community, but at the same time they still continue to reach out and give oxygen to a lot of people who not only drive that toxicity, but have monetized it and so have no real incentive to change.

I've had to unfollow a few commentators in the last few years. Not because I can't handle harsh criticism of a beloved Blizzard product, but because some of them have gotten to the point that their criticisms are so nakedly disingenuous you have to wonder if they even like the game they're playing.

Touchdown

Oct 25, 2017

i was thinking the same thing, seems like alot of them are back on the bandwagon, i guess they just go to where the audience is

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Just finished the Lordaeron questline, it was a nice little journey.

I love Lillian Voss and made me like Calia a bit more, interesting to see where they go with this.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
of course, the FF14 thing was as blatant as blatant can be, I was actually surprised so many here on Era ate it up
Hating everything Blizzard was the trend (rightfully so, given all the issues that came to light) and Era loves their Final Fantasy.

But yes, the 'influencers' especially were very blatant. Ah well, all part of the game I guess.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Well, Thursday was productive. Finally got HC Jailer down to keep our Curve consistency going. And then did a Spires +2 Mythic... because I'd done the maths and determined that that was all I needed to get past 2500 rating, and it amused me to hit 2500 rating in a +2.

Do the +20 teleports persist beyond this expansion? I wonder if I should push to try to get one to add to my collection of teleport methods

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
What's the most fun expansion to level in? I haven't played in ages and I'm checking the game out again. Leveling is so different now lol, and I just realized you can pick which expansion you want to do.

Any suggestions? I've done TBC and a little bit of WotLK and that's about it. The game dumped me into Battle of Azeroth, which looked impressive straight away. But I've never been a fan of jungle environments in any piece of media and I don't care much for Trolls in WoW. So I'm fine with switching expansions, unless it's an incredible experience.

dalq

Feb 13, 2018
I actually don't know of any really useful guide for it (I tried searching myself ages ago). There's really not a whole lot too it but I'll post how I run it.
-You'll need two addons, Venture Plan and Covenant Mission helper. Venture plan you'll need to find and install manually but I think Covenant mission helper is on the addon download places. For Venture Plan the original author abandoned the project but others have added fixes for new missions added in 9.1 and 9.2. Venture plan will do the placing and adding the troops you have to add the companion you want to use (always just try to use one companion per mission if possible). Covenant Mission Helper checks the placements and will give a prediction if it will win or lose. Don't trust Venture Plans placements always as you'll see in CMH it will lose (which usually ends up being the case). May need to swap around companions until you find one that will win. On some of the newer missions I'll still rarely lose even though VP and CMH said I would win but that's rare and may be because I started mission before VP finished its calculation (they can take some time to calculate).
-Be Night Fae. Absolutely the strongest troops and most missions can be won with just one companion and whatever troops VP assigned. Necro is next best but not as strong. Don't even bother with Venthyr or Kyrian they suck ass vent the most. I have a Venthyr table at level 20 which I regret progressing that far. Not only do their troops suck but the majority of the companions suck too. Missions that can be finished with one companion and 4 troops on NF can require 5 companions on Vent and specific ones at that. That Vent character of mine has all companions at max level 60 though including all the ones from Torghast so I've been hesitant to drop it and just restart the table on NF.
-Outside of one character to get all the mounts don't level a table above level 16. I don't see any benefits and missions are only more difficult. For new characters I usually leave it at just 11. 12+ more of the missions that require 50 anima start showing up. Until you hit 16 though you don't get the missions for the 35 anima tokens.
-Speaking of anima the tables are all self-sufficient and can just run from the anima you win from missions so my characters never have to leave the table to farm anima or anything. Most only ever leave the table to pick up the weekly 1000 anima quest that rewards 1600g then turn it in and deposit said anima.
-I only run anima, gold, reputation, pet charm missions (though I skip the 50 anima pet charm missions a lot). I'm currently sitting on 56,000 pet charms lol. I'll also run the one that gives enchanting mats as those sell for a decent amount still but the rest I don't find to be worth the anima. Be careful when the table is level 16 Blizzard added some bizarre missions in the last patch that reward less gold but require 50 anima (gold ones are usually 10 only) and are super difficult. Night Fae usually not a problem but I don't even look at them on the Vent or Kyrian characters. I really have to wonder what they were smoking when they added those missions. I don't really run the XP missions outside the 10 anima ones as I find them a waste of anima.
-I log in and finish/start missions at least three-four times a day, morning, lunch and night. Usually twice at night once after returning then before bed. Fun thing about doing it on 14 characters is by the time you've gone through them all usually can go back to the first one and there will be new missions you can start since it's been a little while lol. I tend to leave the game running in the background on a second computer while at work then whenever I have a second will go through and start new missions if available.
-Since on Night Fae most missions just need one companion you don't really need to go farm torghast for the extras (though nice to have but takes a long time to get them all)
-When starting a new table only pick up the one first soulbind companion (Niya on Night Fae) at first and none of the others yet. Use the companion XP boost tokens you got while getting the renown to boost it up as high a level as you can (if you've been running any other tables at level 16 or above you also get companion boost xp items). The troops level will be that of the average for your companions so if you only have the one companion and boost it up you'll raise the troop level. Troop level won't decrease. Doing it this way on new characters I boost my troops up to the max level 60 before getting any of the other companions so that way the level 60 troops can power through missions with low level companions.

I think that's about it really.
Once Dragonflight comes out and they likely nerf all the rewards from the table (plus no new table) not really sure what I'm going to do. I basically only play it now for the table. Trying to farm as much gold as possible before then. I guess it will be nice not to log in so much but likely I imagine I'll stop logging in altogether at some point like what happened when I stopped in Mop. The table has given me the urge to log in all the time.
thanks man!

Could you clarify what you meant by leveling the table above 16? You mean the NPC lvls? Didnt knew there was a way to stop them from leveling.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
What's the most fun expansion to level in? I haven't played in ages and I'm checking the game out again. Leveling is so different now lol, and I just realized you can pick which expansion you want to do.

Any suggestions? I've done TBC and a little bit of WotLK and that's about it. The game dumped me into Battle of Azeroth, which looked impressive straight away. But I've never been a fan of jungle environments in any piece of media and I don't care much for Trolls in WoW. So I'm fine with switching expansions, unless it's an incredible experience.

i havent leveled in forever, but i would say Mists or Warlords are probably the best for a modern experience. Lich King is what i leveled up in as my first expansion, so it'll have a special place for me.

Legion is pretty good, but not as "nice" as Mists/Warlords. BfA is a slog.

Zojun

Oct 27, 2017

By the jungle comment, it sounds like you're playing Horde? I really like the Alliance BFA zones and story, but I don't think the Horde equivalents are as good. Warlords of Draenor's levelling is really fun if you've never done it before, and tends to be quite quick. Legion is worthwhile if you'd like to experience the artifact weapon and class hall storylines for a spec or class.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
IMO, the Kul Tiras zone storyline with Jaina in BFA is some of the best storytelling Blizzard's ever done. I damn near shed a tear during the finale cutscene.

Also, shutout to Drustvar for delivering on the spooky. Drustvar is kind of its own thing, it doesn't really fit it with the rest of the BFA story, but it's just so cool on its own. If you don't want to level through BFA entirely, at least play through that zone.

Actually, now that we're about to be two expansions removed, I think it's time for a BFA retrospective. Because, yeah, in light of Shadowlands, I do think we were harder on BFA in some areas than it deserved. LOL

Case in point: the sheer amount of content we got in BFA.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
thanks man!

Could you clarify what you meant by leveling the table above 16? You mean the NPC lvls? Didnt knew there was a way to stop them from leveling.

Ahh its different from the companions levels. The table itself has levels to it that goes up to 20. It's been ages since I've seen the stock UI for the table so I don't recall if it shows the table level but you can see it when using the Venture Plan addon. It's labeled as 'Adventure Campaign Progress' on the top. The way you increase the mission tables progress is by completing certain missions that have an 'Adventure Campaign Progress' bonus item. Once you complete those missions though be careful as you can't undue the progress unless you switch covenants and start a new table.

Edit just to add one thing I didn't think of, never waste anima healing companions. It's a complete waste of anima and not really needed. If you upgrade the table to the second tier (5000 anima and some recovered soul things) companions will heal faster. Third level the missions finish faster allowing you to run more and potentially get more gold. Upgrading all of the covenant things to at least level three will increase anima rewards but not gold so I don't find it worth it outside of maybe doing it on one character. I usually try to upgrade the table at least to level 3. With 9.2 (was it?) they sell the account bound 1000 anima coin which easily lets you transfer anima from character to character so you can upgrade those tables faster (still have to farm the damn souls though which requires a trip to the Maw or torghast).

Last edited:

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
Do the +20 teleports persist beyond this expansion? I wonder if I should push to try to get one to add to my collection of teleport methods

I imagine they will, given that the MoP / WoD teleports persisted past the expansion.

They've said that the S4 dungeons are going to give teleports though. Given that they're planning to do rotating dungeon seasons going forward, it means you'll probably be able to earn the Shadowlands dungeon teleports again if those dungeons ever re-enter the pool.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine they will, given that the MoP / WoD teleports persisted past the expansion.

They've said that the S4 dungeons are going to give teleports though. Given that they're planning to do rotating dungeon seasons going forward, it means you'll probably be able to earn the Shadowlands dungeon teleports again if those dungeons ever re-enter the pool.
I imagine they'll give us automatic teleports to the seasonal dungeons as standard going forward, just so it doesn't take a billion years to get to them.

Zojun

Oct 27, 2017
For clarity - I believe it's confirmed there's portals to the non--Shadowlands dungeons upstairs in Oribos in S4, but separately you can earn spellbook portals to them by clearing a +20 like you could the others before. I believe you can only earn the 8 Shadowlands dungeon teleports until S4 begins.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
For clarity - I believe it's confirmed there's portals to the non--Shadowlands dungeons upstairs in Oribos in S4, but separately you can earn spellbook portals to them by clearing a +20 like you could the others before. I believe you can only earn the 8 Shadowlands dungeon teleports until S4 begins.

Yeah, this is what I meant. :D There'll be portals to those dungeons from Oribos for the season duration, but if you want a teleport spell to keep around in your spellbook, you need to clear a +20. This Blue post says that there will be +20 spellbook teleports for Karazhan, Mechagon, and the WoD dungeons though, so that makes me think earning teleports (including teleports to "revived" dungeons) will be a persistent thing for basically all future seasons.

HarryDemeanor

Oct 25, 2017

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
Back to playing the game after a year break. Just caught up with 9.2.5
Love the new area. Still don't like the systems within systems

Trying my best to finish all those quests "again" although I went with Threads of Fate
Glad they added the renown boost and extra 1 to 60 for 500 gold. Having fun as always

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
The Shaman talent trees makes me want to actually level up my Kul Tiran shaman.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
we've been talking about the shaman trees and so far they seem to be the best of the returning classes, so that's promising

there's a bunch of weird placements on the class tree that seem to encourage hybridity which is nice

Oct 27, 2017
Berkeley, CA
Hi, I'm a newbie thinking of trying the free trial of WoW. I just want to do the casual story content that's not from the expansions (so I just want to do the story that was available when WoW first launched). Is that possible with the free trial?

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
Hi, I'm a newbie thinking of trying the free trial of WoW. I just want to do the casual story content that's not from the expansions (so I just want to do the story that was available when WoW first launched). Is that possible with the free trial?

The very earliest quests in WoW are only available in Classic, which unfortunately doesn't have a free trial. :( In the Cataclysm expansion, the original quests in the game from Vanilla WoW were replaced with updated stories with more "modern" gameplay.

If you don't mind dropping $15 for a 1 month sub, then Classic is still a great RPG adventure if you want to begin from the start. If you want the free trial first, then I'd still recommend giving modern a shot. There's a new tutorial zone that was added in 9.0 that definitely has an "old school adventure" feel, and the leveling zones that the game will direct you to are the Battle for Azeroth ones (which is a fairly modern expansion but definitely has an "old school fantasy world" vibe).

Oct 27, 2017
Berkeley, CA
The very earliest quests in WoW are only available in Classic, which unfortunately doesn't have a free trial. :( In the Cataclysm expansion, the original quests in the game from Vanilla WoW were replaced with updated stories with more "modern" gameplay.

If you don't mind dropping $15 for a 1 month sub, then Classic is still a great RPG adventure if you want to begin from the start. If you want the free trial first, then I'd still recommend giving modern a shot. There's a new tutorial zone that was added in 9.0 that definitely has an "old school adventure" feel, and the leveling zones that the game will direct you to are the Battle for Azeroth ones (which is a fairly modern expansion but definitely has an "old school fantasy world" vibe).

I see. Does the free trial include those updated quests from the Cataclysm expansion? Or does the free trial only have the quests from the Battle for Azeroth expansion?

I'm not really sure how WoW expansions work actually. In FFXIV, for example, you usually go through story content based on how the expansions were released chronologically (so ARR first then HW etc), but it seems you can do WoW's expansions "out of order". I ideally would want to do WoW's story "in order" instead of jumping straight into the Battle for Azeroth expansion, but I'm not sure that's possible with the free trial.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
I see. Does the free trial include those updated quests from the Cataclysm expansion? Or does the free trial only have the quests from the Battle for Azeroth expansion?

I'm not really sure how WoW expansions work actually. In FFXIV, for example, you usually go through story content based on how the expansions were released chronologically (so ARR first then HW etc), but it seems you can do WoW's expansions "out of order". I ideally would want to do WoW's story "in order" instead of jumping straight into the Battle for Azeroth expansion, but I'm not sure that's possible with the free trial.
the free trial lets you level to 20, and you can do so in any expansion of your choosing (but not the "classic" quests). Personally I would definitely not recommend to classic experience. the "new" experience (I say new in quotation marks since the classic quest remake was made 12 years ago), is much more streamlined and new player friendly.

And again, you can choose which expansion to level in, so you can do 1-20 in Cataclysm, then create a new character and do 1-20 in say Battle for Azeroth, and that way test out a few classes and expansions.

Zojun

Oct 27, 2017
the free trial lets you level to 20, and you can do so in any expansion of your choosing (but not the "classic" quests). Personally I would definitely not recommend to classic experience. the "new" experience (I say new in quotation marks since the classic quest remake was made 12 years ago), is much more streamlined and new player friendly.

And again, you can choose which expansion to level in, so you can do 1-20 in Cataclysm, then create a new character and do 1-20 in say Battle for Azeroth, and that way test out a few classes and expansions.

Aren't new accounts automatically put into BFA, and can only choose Chrome time on their next character? Or is the trial account specifically different?

Oct 27, 2017
Berkeley, CA

Is there a recommended expansion to start with? Also, would I be able to do all the story content for that expansion with a level 20 character?

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a recommended expansion to start with? Also, would I be able to do all the story content for that expansion with a level 20 character?

First question: If you are new, it forces you into Battle for Azeroth
2nd question: not even close. The current design gets you from 10-50 in a single expansion, and even then you are likely hitting 50 without finishing the full storyline of that xpac.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Getting back to the game and dinged 60 last night. I'm working through the covenant stuff and was looking at gearing options and decided to the check the dungeon journal. It seems to indicate the gear from normal dungeons would be 210 ilvl, does that sound right? Seems like a huge jump since my average is around 140 right now. Not that I'd complain about catching up with that. =p Been on the XIV train for a couple years so I'm getting used to WoW again. Thanks!

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
Getting back to the game and dinged 60 last night. I'm working through the covenant stuff and was looking at gearing options and decided to the check the dungeon journal. It seems to indicate the gear from normal dungeons would be 210 ilvl, does that sound right? Seems like a huge jump since my average is around 140 right now. Not that I'd complain about catching up with that. =p Been on the XIV train for a couple years so I'm getting used to WoW again. Thanks!

That sounds about right! Dungeon gear gets bumped up every patch, as a catch up mechanic for late-comers.

Status
Not open for further replies.